Legend of the Five Rings General: Caught the Less Penizem Edition

L5R general, for all your CCG, LCG and RPG discussion needs.

For those not in the know (somehow), AEG sold L5R to Fantasy Flight Games last gen con, FFG is getting ready to launch the new LCG later this year and has been putting out a slow trickle of news and previews over the last month or so.

Here's the announcement post and three mechanics updates for anyone who hasn't seen them yet:
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/19/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/26/crafting-a-dynasty/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/3/the-conflicts-of-rokugan/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/10/Banzai/

Fluff is reset to pre-Clan War. Doji Hoturi is now a girl and also gay for Bayushi Kachiko, so they did definitely preserve that key aspect of the character. Spider are out, Mantis are pirates, and everything is gravy. Probably. The first fiction we got is here, starring Doji Hotaru. We're likely to get one per clan over the coming months to Gen Con.
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/93/49/9349a75f-bf47-4818-9cdf-64eb3f92c423/her_fathers_daughter.pdf

So, in the spirit of kicking off discussion: What is your favorite clan and what changes do you hope FFG might slide in there during this wild west, anything goes reset period?

And if you're an RPG player, what are your hopes and fears for the inevitable 5e that FFG puts out in 2018 probably?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/qWt2YVp
discord.gg/nvVX9Wb
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unicorn here. Hopefully the purple ponies won't be shit like they were in Gold. I will miss multiple province battles in a single attack phase. That shit was what made the 'corn fun to play.

As for the RPG, I hope they keep the Roll and Keep system. I fear we're getting snowflake dice to the tune of five elemental rings, honor, glory, status, and tainted dice. Shit has the potential to be a huge cash grab.

>What is your favorite clan and what changes do you hope FFG might slide in there during this wild west, anything goes reset period?

My favorites are the Crane and the Spider (I am not a fan of the Horde). I'm hoping that if the Spider get brought back they do so in a way that other players do not feel is a slap in the face.

>And if you're an RPG player, what are your hopes and fears for the inevitable 5e that FFG puts out in 2018 probably?
I hope they keep the Roll and Keep system and fear that they will use SWTOR's dice system.

I want them to make a wide variety of weapons viable.

>. I fear we're getting snowflake dice to the tune of five elemental rings, honor, glory, status, and tainted dice. Shit has the potential to be a huge cash grab.

That's my fear too, but they bought RnK as part of the game buy and FFG didn't throw out the 40k system when they started producing their own games for the license after buying the extant Dark Heresy. So fingers crossed.

In the absolute worst case I'm not opposed to continuing to run 4e. It has a ton of support, and the Imperial Histories books give plenty of eras to play in which are fully detailed for GM and player use. Not to mention the new canon, since it is possible they'll go a whole weird new direction once the story gets rolling.

I doubt we'll get Spider for a long time if ever given how toxic they were to swathes of the player base. How does your new Crane champion make you feel? She's got it bad for Kachiko.

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed to see no preview cards in the Cranepost.

Can't all be mechanics. We already got one example conflict done, what more mechanic posts would you be thinking we'd get?

>I doubt we'll get Spider for a long time if ever given how toxic they were to swathes of the player base.
The toxicity in my eyes was often overblown and the result of really bad story choices by the AEG brand members. People blamed the Spider as a concept when the actual problem was the brand team doing stupid things when stuff was starting to get properly stabilized.

>How does your new Crane champion make you feel? She's got it bad for Kachiko.
As for Hotaru being in love with Kochiko? I'm ok with it. The conflicts of love and duty were always a big part of samurai fiction. I also think I understand where they are planning to go with Hotaru.

>I also think I understand where they are planning to go with Hotaru.

She's going to destroy herself because she thinks her lover killed her hated father? I bet Kachiko didn't even do it, is the funny part.

For me it had more to do with the fact that the Spider pretty much shit all over the metaphysics of the setting. The taint went from something utterly beyond the control of any living thing to just another source of super powers.

Just some cards. A generic Daidoji, a conflict card, Maybe a Hoturi card assuming that the champions are getting in the Core set.

Favorite clans are Scorpion, Crab, & Dragon, in order. Really excited for a 5e announcement, even if it uses funky dice, since those work pretty well in Star Wars.

More that she will be the naive newcomer of the 7 champions with the most room to grow.

Can't really argue with you on that. Which is why I was less a fan of the use taint aspects and more a fan of the dark samurai aspects.

Favourite clan? I would probably have to say Badger. Honey badger.

I'm hoping that the core set is all generics so that expansions from any fluff era can just slot right in with it.

>Ichiro-san has misplaced the shits he was going to give you as a gift. As it is you will find he is absent any fucks for your problem. So sorry. Try again tomorrow, Doji-san. Surely he will have found kore by then

Feed me more info on the Unicorn clan. I never got the chance to get into L5R when it was a CCG and think I settled on a clan but want to know more about it even if the story stuff is being changed with FFG's version.

The Unicorn left the empire early on and picked up a bunch of weird customs and clanmates on their loooong journey back. As a result, most of Rokugan considers them to be weirdos. They're big on cavalry, and the Moto family is distinctly Mongolian.
They get along well with the Crab clan.

I'm pretty sure that there's some named cards, but given how this set is evergreen I figure in the future there'll always be some equivalent 'Spirit Of' kind of characters in the fluff.

Bump it, fools!

>and FFG didn't throw out the 40k system when they started producing their own games for the license after buying the extant Dark Heresy.
But they did throw out the WHFRP system when they bought that, and replaced it with not only special snowflake dice but also a pile of other expensive peripherals that ended up only killing the game in the end simply due to the cost barrier they created.
While I doubt FFG will do something that stupid again, they're still 1:1 here.

There are some specific characters. The clan champions are in as well as at least a few more per clan based on what they've shown so far.

discord.gg/qWt2YVp

link to the Veeky Forums discord

We are still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my feels.

I just realized something.

Shouldn't she know that Yoritomo is the champion of a Minor Clan? This seems like incredibly odd phrasing to describe anyone but a ronin.

wrong image. image related

It depends if the Mantis are still considered a minor clan in the new timeline. If not, then her phrasing is considered appropriate. If they are, then it's really 50/50 as she has a whole bunch of shit on her mind and they are just a minor clan that is out in some islands.

Is "pirates" a good way to refer to the armies of a minor clan?

For low honor thugs prancing around as samurai as they are raiding illegally? Sure, they are pirates

It's in her own head. She'd be more polite if she was actually talking about a clan, I'm sure.

You'd think she's be more harsh if she had a grip of the situation. It really does seem like she's just aware of vague details.

It's probably a good way to talk about the fleet of a minor clan that is questionably legal who regularly raid up and down the Crane coast when they aren't pretending to have authority over the sea in general. Before becoming a great clan, they didn't even have a proper Family name. Or rather, they had one, but then it was revoked and all members killed for attempting some bullshit against the Emperor.

>How does your new Crane champion make you feel? She's got it bad for Kachiko.
Thus far it feels like change for change's sake (and "modern" "progressive" values), rather than a genuine fresh take on things. Using existing characters to say "Look! We're different!"

Because she seems to be at least aware of the islands of spice and silk. You'd think she might have thought differently when seeing the item from the location that the "illegitimate" Mantis Clan owns.

You can appreciate something pretty from a place that's run by godawful people. Just look at Hollywood.

>Using existing characters to say "Look! We're different!"

I got the impression that this is exactly what they were going for. Changing only a few old characters slightly and hinting at a bunch of old plot threads, while implying others are now impossible is an easy way to express that this is a new timeline with new rules and plots, but it's still Rokugan in this era. I thought it was pretty clever myself.

It makes her affair with Kachiko even more shameful while showing us that it is impossible for them to have a kid. To those familiar with the story, that indicates that things may go in a significantly different direction this time.

When the FFG timeline eventually gets to the Mantis ascension to Great Clan I really hope they make it less infuriating and Mary Sue-ish.

They should have been eradicated and stricken from history for the bullshit they pulled.

>I got the impression that this is exactly what they were going for.
I don't doubt it.

>It makes her affair with Kachiko even more shameful while showing us that it is impossible for them to have a kid.
That's exactly why it's less shameful.

I really hope they don't become a Great Clan because

1) The Mantis using boats against the Dragon's Strongholds is stupid, as well as the myriad other similar flavor fails
2) The game doesn't need more factions. 7 is already plenty. There's no need to dilute the card pool further.
3) Dragon already has emerald green. What color would they even be?

I think cards for minor clans will show up as neutral cards that cost influence, but not full-blown factions.

Yeah, a minor clan alliance becoming a great clan of their own could be a good story. I'd like to see them do it without rewarding a traitor, though.

>What color would they even be?
Maybe they won't even be Mantis. Wasp clan yellow, perhaps?

>When the FFG timeline eventually gets to the Mantis ascension to Great Clan
Honestly, I'd rather FFG says 'fuck the Mantis, we are sticking with the Minor Clan Alliance'.

Fewer problems with legitimacy, each minor clan remains their own thing and doesn't get green-washed into Yoritomo lite, but they still combine into a formidable faction within the setting - and later, maybe, the LCG.

So anyone who played the CCG around? How do you feel about mechanics they've unveiled so far? And if you were a single clan player, do you plan to hew to the same clan again or maybe use the LCG model to diversify your prospects?

>each minor clan remains their own thing and doesn't get green-washed into Yoritomo lite
This, right here, is the sole reason I fucking hated the mantis from a meta game perspective.

Good night, samurai-sans. I hope you're still here when I wake up tomorrow.

Stay honorable. Or at least loyal if you must wear red and black.

>mechanics
I think the game looks really interesting so far. Originally, I felt weird about every personality being temporary, but I've warmed up to it.
It seems like it will be easier to teach new players now based on how the cards themselves are a bit more simple. However, I don't think that translates into a loss of complexity considering all the decisions you'll still be making every turn.
All in all, I'm very excited for it, and I have let my hype peak way too early.

>clan loyalty
I got into the CCG at three different times and played as a different clan for each one. I'll probably be mostly loyal to one clan for organized games, but hell if I know which one. The LCG model definitely makes it easier to jump around, though.

>kanshi.jpg

Here's a permanent link to the L5R Discord:

discord.gg/nvVX9Wb

Features RP and discussions,
Looking for group section,
Lots of resources,
And morrreeee!

>11 pages
>13+ megabytes

What the literal ever-living fuck? Are they trying to infest me with a trojan?

High resolution art assets can drive up the bit count drastically.

anyone have more of the new l5r art. Definitely love the art style

I want to play a Kaiu Engineer with the Berserker path (too much exam stress) who builds his(or her) own gear while smashing people with a super dai tsuchi and laughing at the shadowlands. Bonus: descendant of Kaiu so he/she has a chance to make nemuranai every year.

You, I like you. We should go to honor the Emperor together.

>Bonus: descendant of Kaiu so he/she has a chance to make nemuranai every year.
Pretty sure that's not a requirement, mate.

I have a question for all the elegan/tg/entlemen out here who play honourable samurai as the game intends in the eyes of the emperor and the Heavens...

How do you guys usually award Honor? There is a page in 4th edition L5R that says in which circumstances a samurai gains or loses honor. So how do you guys do it? Do you follow the rules for it step by step or do you take some freedom with it?

Also, why is it that GMs always try to hamper the players from letting the character gain honor? Sometimes I feel like the storytellers I play with want my character to just take honor hit after honor hit until they are at 0 honor or some shit. Like that is any fun. What's up with that?

The Kaiu ancestor allows a roll at TN 50 every year to make a nemuranai item. Granted that doesn't mean they have to have the Kaiu family name. Pretty sure those of Kaiu's blood married into other family's and the First Carpenter might bestow his favor upon them if they come back to study at his school.

I wanted to spin the prayer ritual to Kaiu as arms and armor maintenance, where our hero(ine) stills his/her soul and communes with Kaiu even as s/he polishes and sharpens those of his comrades' .

My favourite honour house rule thus far; honour adjustments are logged during the day, but totalled while sleeping. It gives you some time to adjust your ways between acting less honourably and the result.

Glory functions similarly, but totals when you write (and send) a letter to your lord detailing your accomplishments. (or someone else mentions you)

I like that rule

So it does. I just wouldn't expect that to be the only way in which you could craft a nemuranai. Maybe the only way you could craft one without a shugenja and heirloom tools or rare materials.

Yeah, I'm just saying that it's the one GUARANTEED way to do it.

I imagine like, for instance there's a battered old axe in the Damned Berserkers' keeping that's been covered in so much Hida and oni blood that it's awakened as a bloodthirsty nemuranai that lives to slaughter the Shadowlands and it will drag its wielder to hell (literally) and back to do it.

That table is intended as a guideline, it says so right next to it. So some freedom is expected.

I tally at the end of sessions unless someone did something major in the middle. Problem with my game is the opposite of yours, I can't seem to stop my players from getting high honor. They're too damned polite and considerate to their enemies.

I generally award after the session. I send out an email with all Honor, Glory, and Status changes. With Honor I generally itemize them and if a player disagrees with a gain/loss I let him make the case. My players tend to hang in the 5-7 range.

Anyone else feel genderswapping Hotori is an egregiously shallow and pandering move with no genuine narrative design behind it?

>no genuine narrative design behind it

Insufficient data.

Hence "feel," as in suspect or believe. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I can't see it happening.

I wholeheartedly encourage them to continue pandering to my dick.

But it's also a way of showing that at least one story line is now impossible. It's a message to the audience that things will be different but familiar.

Eh, lesbian characters are always at risk of being there purely for titillation but for the time being I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I thought I read somewhere they were genderswapping some champions to have their gender line up with the Kami to each clan, and that was one of the reasons.

That is the theory I've been hearing too. The new Unicorn champ is a grrl-khan. I genuinely was surprised at the champion level lezzing in the fiction though. It seemed a little OOC for Kachiko.

Kachiko has Hotaru wrapped around her fingers using her charisma and sex appeal. I think that is pretty in character for her. If she has a fun time while exploiting the girl, what's the harm? To her at least.

i think means it in the sense of pandering to the LGBT and SJW crowd
these days, just as likely as pandering to dudes with a thing for lesbians

Im pretty ok with it mechanically. Seems neat, I'm glad they kept the 2 deck system. Its familiar enough and looks to be overall less brutal to learn, which is a good thing.
I'll still be Dragon for any given tournament, but it'll be easier to build decks for other clans (I still built a ton of decks for other clans)

>I'll still be Dragon for any given tournament,

Speaking of LCG Dragon, we kind of got a look at them in the play example. I don't know how I feel about their schtick being keyed off rings. That seems like that will see diminishing returns for them as a turn goes on and more rings get claimed.

I'd be more likely to suspect that if they'd flipped Kachiko to male, though it's possible they're trying to thread the needle and hit both titillation and diversity at the same time.

Also it'd be silly to think homosexuality is out of place in samurai stories.

Scorpion here - love t he new edition and a chance to shape history once more. Have good confidance in FFG and their understanding that this is not netrunner - you cannot unbalance factions because players are VERY attached to them and pushing history is very important part of the game to players like me. If FFG does the game so I will be forced to play crab in turnaments I wont be in for long ...

>Also it'd be silly to think homosexuality is out of place in samurai stories.

But this isn't man on boy stuff, which was the thing. I mean I don't care and actually think we might get some interesting new drama if they actually go through with this full bore, but it isn't the homosex one would expect in a samurai tale.

I actually want to see them address whether lesbians are more or less bad than a normal extramarital affair and see how Hotaru handles it as the Scorpion rivalry spins out of control. Also she seems like she does like her new husband a bit so that's always a pretty meaty story hook if that liking grows.

>Mantis are pirates
So nothing changed?

Well we don't even know if they're an MC right now or just Yoritomo's yo ho ho band. My gut says they'll probably be an MC and reset to pre-clan war but until we get confirmation it is just speculating.

They certainly got the whole 'lesbian with daddy issues' bit down pat.

>Crane lesbian bitch who risks her own life out of some sort of pride for her own ways
>Giving enough of a fuck about a minor clan of thugs who raid shit with their ships to remember they are a minor clan at all and not just another flavor of bandit

It was totally in character for her to call them pirates without much of a thought.

Plus, its her mental dialogue. Nobody to be polite or explicate to. "That fucking pirate Yoritomo" is all her personal context for him.

Can you really genderswap a Crane though?

Something something singing trap shota

>panders to men who like pictures of beautiful women
>panders to women who want more female major characters
>panders to homosexuals
With so few people left out, can you even call it pandering anymore?

I am glad Touhoufag gave up on L5R.

As one of the most traditional clans, the fact that the Crane Champion isn't Kuwanan is pretty much a slap in the face of all the old lore. A daughter would be married off, preferably to an Imperial, a son would inherit the clan. Satsume would have it no other way.

Anything less is bullshit of normal proportions for the lore of this setting.

Money cannot buy a lick of fucking sense, or understanding of a setting even though it can by IP rights...

>Anything less is bullshit of normal proportions for the lore of this setting.

No lore from the old version is inherently canon.

There have been at least three female Crane Champions in the history of the game, Doji herself, Doji Heijiko in the 6th century, and Doji Domotai. It certainly wouldn't be unheardof.

And was Doji Satsume, Emerald Champion and sensei of Hantei XXXIX the father of any of them? Yeah, didn't think so. Also, one was a Kami, and founder, she gets a pass from anyone. Then from 1000 years of history, a decent 50+ potential Champions, assuming little to no deaths and same generation inheritances, 2 women were champions. And Satsume has a male heir to inherit...

That is some fucking Hidden Emperor level of bullshit there. Ignore anything resembling the lore and just make shit up.

Same shit, different owner.

Most champions are unnamed and undetailed.

Hey all,

I played the L5R CCG a bit back in 2012-ish, and casually followed the lore for a couple years before that. How would I go about getting into the RPG? Any places you know of where I can find books or groups willing to tolerate a newbie?

Thanks!

Doesn't change the fact that Satsume is not one of them. Read up on him, and get back once you have a basic lore education.

I'm actually looking for a player for a new game. How can I contact you to see if you'd be a good fit?

Appreciated!