Any anons have recommendations for running XCom? I'm defaulting to Attack Squadron Roswell...

Any anons have recommendations for running XCom? I'm defaulting to Attack Squadron Roswell, a Traveller homebrew for 50's XCom-y scenarios, if anyone can think of anything better, I'm all ears

What about XCom do you want to run? You'll get very different answers if you want to focus on basebuilding, high command, or squad-level missions.

Squad Level Combat, y'know the thing that's objectively the best part of X-Com and XCom?

Who'd want to run basebuilding anyway? Genuine question, interception might be fun, and command might be fun, but basebuilding is 'that thing between combat'

Infinity. Ariadna vs. CA.

>and XCom
There is literally nothing good about XCOM. The original is the only good game in the series. Hell even the underwater combat was good.

Some people are idiots, friend.

Usual recommendation for GURPS, with Tactical Shooting if you want to go full tacticool operator. It's the best system for tactical combat. Ultra-Tech can be a gear catalog as long as you remember to check the errata, and Monster Hunters 5 - Applied Xenology for alien ideas.

I've known people that wanted to do base-building. I think they're crazy, but that's what they wanted to do.

my group
it can be fun
>and Monster Hunters 5 - Applied Xenology for alien ideas.
had never seen that before, thank you

Dying half the time you step out of the Skyranger might get old fast...

>no Savage Worlds
Objectively the best system for tactical squad combat that isn't full of autism

Black Ops is the old 3e book for XCom/MiB-style shenanigans. The rules content may require tweaking, but the fluff is fine.

L2smokenade.

Or just have the players stand in the middle or the back of the Skyranger.
Then they can start off every mission watching the rookies take plasma to the face instead of doing it themselves.

Base building is PvP expressed through RP in the form of bureaucratic turf wars over a limited budget and resources.

I was defaulting to Traveller because A. Combat is fast and lethal, and B. much like Long War (which is the basis of the XCom cannon I'm going to use in terms of 'how a few assumptions are provided') Traveller Psionics require a time off, to heal up from doing them

It's fantastic and has knock off Chrysalids for your gaming pleasure. Greys too I think

how? I've got very little experience GMing properly, other than some freeform-ish 'talk about the thing you're doing' type of roleplaying at a table

Off the top of my head? Each player is also assigned a "department" over which they act as the head. Every few sessions they have a budget meeting where they try to claim a portion of the budget for themselves for various projects. Ideally there should only be enough budget for no more than a number of projects equal to half the amount of departments. This is to promote politicking between your players. In addition to monetary cost, each project should have manpower and space costs. In turn, each base should have a hard cap of manpower and space to restrict the number of projects that can be completed.

Each department should be a logical division of the organization, Observation, R&D, HR, etc, and each project should provide some tangible benefit to the players. To get the most out of this I would suggest taking a world map, designating the locations of several bases and non-overlapping fields of influence. That way each base and the area surrounding it grants different effects to the squad-level parts of the game based on which departments were able to get their projects approved.

This is far funnier than it has any right to be

Strike! was made for squad level tactical combat.

The playtest campaign was XCOM themed even, and the cover mechanics are ripped straight from it.

bump

gimme that Xcom goodness