/hhg/ - Horus Heresy General - Centurion Edition

White/Yellow Paint Grievances Sub-edition

Previous Bread: >Thread FAQ
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (not updated since January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>STUFF ANONS ASK FOR
www49.zippyshare.com/v/aYWlVV9f/file.html
www32.zippyshare.com/v/heDZWytT/file.html

On an unrelated note, does anyone have the source on these Marines? If I'm going to keep baking bread, it'd be nice to make a few more thread banners.

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-FI/Citadel-Basecoat-Spray-Leadbelcher
youtu.be/N5xalX3aKAs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for night lords, the faggest legion

>caution, new to this, bought a BoC set and got some shit off ebay
I like infantry, I like bikes, and I like flyers.
Is there any way to make all of them work in a list, or is massive war machine tanks essential to a legion list nowadays?

SoH here to clean up a batmen and emubarbarian infestation!

>order a bunch of legion head/torso/shoulder sets
>have no idea what I'm going to do with them because I can't decide on a list to build towards

I mean shit, the 15 I do have assembled have no heads or shoulders for painting reasons. I also have old school legion bits with even more different heads/shoulders.

You can certainly make it work. Infantry and bikes can be given melta-bombs for fucking up tanks, though rules interpretations can make the difference between one guy throwing it or the entire squad tossing bombs. I don't remember, so other anons can fill you in. Now, if you want some REALLY tank-killy infantry, Terminators with Chainfists will RIP AND TEAR anything with an armor value provided you can get them into melee.

As for fliers, the Lightning can be given Kraken penetrator heavy missiles, 2 for 35pts, which act like one-shot flying chainfists. These will ruin any tank's day too. With Ground Tracking Auguries and Battle Servitor control, they'll make a mess of any ground forces (which is generally why people take AA)

Having fuck-off-hueg tanks helps, but it isn't necessarily a requirement. It just means you'll have to get a bit creative with how you kill people. Though, as an aside, what your local meta looks like can have a big impact on what you need to bring.

This makes Custodian #70 and Shield Captain #5.

Time to clean them and hate myself more.

Bookfag here who started chronologically with 30k. What was unknown before before the Horus Heresy books came out? Still can't quite grasp that the lore on primarchs and legions was simply shown through various rulebooks

The earliest I'm aware of was that HH trading card game where as a tie-in every White Dwarf had a section on the backgrounds of each primarchs/legion

Also IIRC the guy that wrote the Garro book mentioned that the Garro/Flight of the Eisenstein stuff dates back to at least Epic

Which Traitor Legion has simplest, noob-friendly color scheme?

When I say bikes, I mean outriders and attack bikes, not jetbikes.
Infantry often get smashed too easily nowadays, I've noticed.
My local meta has 2 mechanicum, not sure what varieties but one has a lot of beep boops, 1 auxilia, 9 legion lists (at least half are full of tanks), and 1 guy brought a short Custodes list (1k iirc) that stomped on a LW player.
My big concern is that I can't rely on getting bikers as troops, unless there is a way to do that. I would prefer biker squads, lightning/xiphons to taste, and infantry blocks to capitalize on the flyers/support the ass ends of the bikers. What legion would support this?
>I'd love to use Salamanders because flamers/melta err'where, but it's intensely lore grating
Why so many?
Why so many shield captains?

Goal is to have 100 Custodes and the multiple Captains is for different wargear loadouts.

What little existed prior to the advent of the Horus heresy series was largely taken from the small excerpts scattered throughout the rulebooks, codexes, and occasionally short stories, rendering it as a 'time of legend'. While it was known that Horus slew Sanguinus, fought and lost against the Emperor, or that Rowboat theoretically killed Alpharius at some point, and was also mortally wounded by Fulgrim, almost the entirety of the Heresy was shrouded in mystery. This is part of why some people hate the book series, because to them it is killing off the sense of 'mystique' that the time period had.

Personally, I disagree with them, since I feel that it still has that legendary nature to it. I'm also a slut for fluff, so the more the better.

>100 custodes
>$50 per 5
>$1000 on the same sprue over and over
>and over

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS COMMUNITY

Mostly the broad strokes were known. The Novels and FW books elaborate a lot on the existing stuff, more than they generally change it.

>The Exterminatus of Isvtaan III
>The Flight of the Eisenstein
>The Dropsite Massacre
>The Burning of Prospero
>The Word Bearers attacking Calth
>Tallarn having the largest tank battle ever
>The Mechanicum split in half
>Sanguinius punking a Bloodthirster while fighting at the Eternity Gate
>Emperor confronting Horus on the bridge of his ship
The origins of the Primarchs are generally unchanged as well. Johnson and Russ were both feral children. Fulgrim did take a planet that was terminally short of resources and actually got it producing enough to grow instead of shrink. Angron was stolen from an honorable death with his comrades. Morty hates the Emperor for killing his step-dad when he couldn't. And a host of other things.

Bit that I think were added (because almost 20 years of 40K lore piles up, and can get confusing when they change shit even before the Horus Heresy stuff started) include... Some are more logical than others, obviously
>Istvaan III being used to cull loyalist elements from the legions
>The details about what happened on and to the Eisenstein
>The attack on Calth being a turn-coat attack rather than a direct one (can't remember for sure, honestly)
>They upped the numbers of the Tallarn battle because tens of thousands seemed a lot larger in the 80's
And a bunch of other things that you will find varying opinions on.

Ultramarines.

>eBay for $30-35
>20 Guardians
>20 Sentinels
>10 Hetaeron
>10 Agamatus Jetbikes
>10 Sagittarum

I like Custodes, what can I say

bullshit

Just read Index Astartes and you'll have a pretty good idea.

Mkay

Infantry tend to get smashed for the same reason they get smashed in real life: artillery and field weapons fuck infantry up. Whether you like tanks or not, you'll need to find a way to deliver your troops where they need to go. This can be through comparatively small Rhinos, drop pods, or sticking squads in Storm Eagles and belching them out on objectives/enemies.

As for bikes, yes, I get that. Outriders and attack bikes are fine, just a bit costly in terms of literal price and points. When you're making a bike squad, build them with a specific role in mind and stick to it. If you try and give them gear to do everything they'll have a hard time making their points back. For the Attack Bikes though, I'd scope out your local meta a bit more and get familiar with your targets. Since they're mounting the heavier weapons, you don't want to shell out the points for multi-meltas and find out that everyone is running AC. Know your foe, and build around that.

You can get bikers as troops if you're running White Scars, but that is a journey few men finish. Bikes and Lightnings will eat up your Fast Attack slots in an instant, which won't leave you with any room for Storm Eagles if you were hoping to use them as transports. But right now, the alternatives are: utilize Rhinos/drop pods for your troops, go WS and go full biker, or pray that FW adds some fast-attack centric RoW in the next book.

Plus 20 more.

oh, the guy that can't place a transfer worth a shit, and posts his mediocre custodes all the time. post an up close. prove me wrong.

BS stands, Chinese

Thanks kindly fellas!

Just because of you, user, I'm going to list my Custodes on Ebay tomorrow.

>>They upped the numbers of the Tallarn battle because tens of thousands seemed a lot larger in the 80's
Eh, GW's been having a problem with scale inflation for years now. Remember how Medusa V felt like such a small nothing campaign, fighting over a single world? Remember how it was only a few years after Armageddon was an awesome and epic campaign fighting over a single world? And how a few years before that Ichar IV was such a success that we blew GW's expectations out of the water while fighting over a single world by mail-in?

You sound bitter

Like obnoxiously bitter.

Oh and here's the rest of the finished stuff.

The unpainted stuff is all on my desk

Tbh, probably Word Bearers or 1kS. Pretty simple, red and silver or gold. SoH requires paint mixing to get the right color, DG and WE are in mostly white, NL have free-hand lightning bolts, you need to love painting gold for EC, AL paint schemes are all over the place, and IW are mostly basic, but you'll have to figure out a way to paint hazard stripes.

I kinda want to do the same for SoS, except they're decidedly worse as a standalone army compared to custodes.

I have 10 SoS I need to clean and paint, and even then I find myself struggling while I still have 20+ Custodes to paint.

Oh, I still have three HH boxes plus to assemble and paint, so I know the struggle.

Speaking of, where can I get ass Marine arms? I'm thinking about running a few naked terror squads and need CCW/BP arms. Both HH boxes are sorely lacking here.

Ebay has good bundles for arms and such. I bought a bundle of 20 bolter arms (L/R) for $5.

Any that mesh well with HH marks, though? Particularly MKIV. I have a bunch of CSM arms I can use, but idk how well that will work.

However, plastic berserker arms make for good termie arms if you have the old style combi-weapons.

I hate painting silver but I love IW
Does anymone have a good and simple way to do that ?

Silver primer, and tons of Nuln Oil

It should be noted that some chapters and other forces within the main Legions had alternate colour schemes, which can be found in the various FW books for them.

games-workshop.com/en-FI/Citadel-Basecoat-Spray-Leadbelcher

Bit of a shot in the dark here, but worth an attempt: does anyone happen to know the size of the original Lightning Strike Fighter? Or even better, have one for a scale shot? I'm trying to see how my Lightning proxy sizes up. After eyeballing Voss-pattern Lightnings for an hour, it looks like I'm only off by a smidge, but I'd rather also have the original for comparison.

Speaking of spray paint, does anyone know a good dark blue spray? It would save me a shitload of time on my night lords.

lol yeah, but something maybe a lit bit "complicated".

Was thinking of :
-Silver spray
-Apply gold
-Agrax wash
-Necron compound dry brush
-Apply black & stripes
-2nd wash of agrax

Is it going to looks good ? or meh

>Is it going to looks good? or meh
Your guess is as good as mine buddy. Without doing the paintjob myself or seeing a completed result, I haven't the slightest clue how that'd end up. But with silver on gold on silver, and two layers of brown wash, my gut feeling says eugh.

youtu.be/N5xalX3aKAs

Buy Rub'n Buff Silver. It's the most convincing metallic finish I've ever seen.

Fuck that thing looks gooofy; iirc the old model is slightly smaller than the newer Voss pattern Lightning, so if your proxy is running a bit smaller than the new one your doing just fine

Alright then, thanks for the info. I know my proxy triggered someone the last time I posted it, but if it fits the bill on size, armament, and is in an appropriate aesthetic, I'm happy then.

I definitely have a softspot for the old one; it's very clunky and wonderfully 40k, however I really love the Thunderbolt so much more.

>tfw when your apothecary w/o AA challenges Dynat, your opponent uses his power sword and you make 4 FNPs
>then your delegatus punches dynats shit the fuck out
both of those badass motherfuckers are getting painted special, and the apothecary is getting Terminator armour and and upgrade to primus medicae

here, only slightly relevant but I never realized how beefy the Thunderbolt was til I saw one next to a Voss while I was looking for scale references. The Thunderbolt is thicc and I like it.

Can you post a picture of it? Curious what it looks like
Everything is better when its THICC

that was essentially my face

This is the most recent pic I have, I can take an angled profile shot of it in the morning for a better look. Built using the entirety of a Stormtalon/hawk kit. Both pairs of wings together gives it a respectable wingspan, rather than those little nubs, and I used one of the Talon's engine pods to extend the tail for some length. Most of all, it no longer has the chibi-look of either the Talon or Hawk, and imo looks more like an actual fighter craft.

Ahhh, its not bad; I would play a match with you if you brought it. I actually thought it was a Xiphon stand in, (still trying to figure out a good way to kitbash pic featured into existence)

Actually, speaking of games, is there anyone in a gaming group(s) in the Pacific North-West? Moving for school hopefully to either Vancouver Island or the Okanagan and Im looking for a 30k group to nestle in with.

>the island or the okanagan
sorry dude, i'm in north van and we have a growing heresy community, but i dont know too much about anything else up in those necks of the woods.
a couple guys in the HHG discord are on the island though, could ask in there or they might be lurkan

Honestly, I thought about it, but I felt like having it serve as a Lightning is less cheesy.

As for the flying wing, Dust Tactics had two jets in that style. Unfortunately, they're both a bit small and out of scale for 30/40k, about 6" across and a bit less in length.

I'm still looking for people to play here in Spain, the only ones I knew that played 40/30k where a bunch of waacfaggots. Life is sad user

You have a biker consul? His pimp posses seems light. What kinda success have you had with him?
>I'm hopeful biker user from above, looking for proof of concept

Lol Im off in the boonies of South Eastern BC; had a group of 20 people that has dwindled down to maybe 3 or 4 people due to a pair of WAAC powerfags of staggering power...the local meta usually does 2v2 matches, etc. Had a brilliant gem of game modding via messing with with the alternating turn phases for simultaneous activation based on your total unit count and rolling for initiative.
No biggy man, if UBC Van was still accepting late applications I might've ended up there.

Ah, sorry, just a bling'd out sgt (I mean, I am running EC). Haven't had any success with them yet, the bikers haven't seen play yet. That said, I built that particular squad for fucking up problematic enemy infantry. I have another in the works that I'll be giving flamers.

As for biker consuls, I have no experience with them myself, but on the rare occasion I see them they seem to do decently.

>Technogeese, Emubarbarians and Batmen
It's nice to be in the summary even if there's no such thing in the OP.
>White/Yellow Paint Grievances Sub-edition
What's the Edition then? We've had comfy threads. That's nice.

You might be onto something there ECLanon. I would saw the goofy butterfly tail off and have to scavenge some model aircraft wings to give it a swept-back gull wing, I might be able to make something awesome looking out of that kit with a suitable amount of retro-scifi

What do you have them geared with?
My last experience with Warhammer was early 5e, so all of this is basically crash course in army building.
I... don't trust some of the local guys to do right by me, and as much as I hate relying on word of Veeky Forums, I've been reading up on tips on these threads in the archives. I heard you are best served disregarding anything on 1d4chan?

it's all curved surfaces, why not make a mold in plaster and hand-sand? can carve out the detail later after making a few blanks.

3x Outriders w/Plasma, Sgt+Powersword+Meltabomb. 190pts total, so it's a bit pricey, but in theory they'll be able to gut their points in elites or characters before eating dirt themselves. Just remember, build your bikes with a purpose in mind. As I mentioned before, it's easy to overload a squad, and those points add up fast.

1d4chan isn't that bad for a new/returning player, but I'd take it with a grain of salt due to inaccuracies. Bias is, to my understanding, pretty limited, so it could be worse. As for Veeky Forums, we're not that bad at certain times. Nights like tonight are good, but when the shitposters arrive they are here in force. All I can say is try and time your questions appropriately.

Thats...actually not bad of an idea; I have no idea how I would go about the process but Im always up to try new things. Gonna buy that Dust kit just to see how out of scale it is and cobble a mock up; after that ratio that bitch and try to make a mold to make a pair of ingame models

If you don't mind waiting til I wake back up, I can take a picture of it alongside the Lightning tomorrow. I could now, but getting decent lighting set up at this hour's a pain and I'm winding down.

No worries breh, gonna be cranking calc until likely 0500 local time like a green tea guzzling retard

Alright, cool.
So, do any legions besides White Stripes do something good for bikes/flyers, or is it worst paint scheme/nothing?
>already know the answer
What legions synergize well with them, then? Shit, if DG had biker destroyers, I'd pick them in a minute.

It's easiest if you're okay with Rhinos. Infantry on foot doesn't work well unless you pick a legion that gets Infiltrate (RG or AL) or an extra shooty gunline (IW or DG). White Scars are an option too; if you run Chogorian Brotherhood, bikes are troops and infantry can Outflank (but have to start in reserve).

The other ideal transport options (Dreadclaws, Storm Eagles) compete with bikes for Fast Attack slots. There are large, costly ones in Heavy Support but they're the equivalent of Spartans or larger, but flying (Kharybdis, Thunderhawk, Stormbird).

Anyway, veterans with meltaguns or combi-meltas and Machine Killer are great against tanks. Attack bikes with multi-meltas or autocannons are alright except against the heaviest. Flyers are good against tanks - look for Kraken Penetrators. (Against softer targets, Fire Raptors are great.)

Outriders are melee units that work better if your local meta ignores the "one grenade per squad per turn" FAQ, jetbikes stay far away and shoot at infantry.

>So, do any legions besides White Stripes do something good for bikes/flyers, or is it worst paint scheme/nothing?
DA w/ Ravenwing, but imo it's the most boring paint scheme of all the legions.

1 Imperial Knight (plastic variant) or 2 Vindicators + 2 Javellins (Lascannon): which one would be more all-around choice? Both roughly takes ~400pts.

Well, my idea was infantry blobs to make a firebase core while bikes advanced up the flanks and flyers ripped up the center.
I'm hearing what I was basically afraid of, that infantry on foot is obsolete in any capacity, and taking bikes impinges on my ability to use infantry in a capable fashion.
>goddammit, I just want dudes, and dudes on bikes, and dudes in planes, and fuckers gotta be fuckers because GW is still the fucking same fuck this shit IMMA DO IT ANYWAY FUCK THIS GAME I'LL DO WHAT I WANT AND HAVE FUN AND YOU FUCKERS CAN'T STOP ME FUCK 30K FUCK SPACE MARINES FUCK GW AND FUCK YOU TOO

What HH legal predator configurations can be made with a plastic kit? Is it just the tripple las variant that isn't kosher?

Any more books like Talon of Horus, where it's about Chaos-bros? (Never thought I'd like a traitor World-Eater) Bonus points if there's a Thousand Sons character

30K players are more interested in fun and fluffy armies more than they are in waac style of play though, so you shouldn't worry too much.

Just build the army you want to see user. I built my raven guard army like I wanted it and allthough it's tough to win with, it's not impossible and it's cool to see on the table even if I get wiped.

Besides, by the time you finish your army HH might even be switching to 8th for all we know.

Black Legion (second book) will be out pretty soon.

Night Lords trilogy

Yipee
About time I started reading about the batman legion

It's not the scheme with DA that make them cool, it's the detailing and heraldry (checks all over the place boi).

The books are legitimately good. As a NL player, I was shocked that anything related to my legion was well received.

Always better to split your eggs into multiple baskets; that way you can hit multiple targets and be immune to having ALL your firepower exploded in one turn...usually.
Anything with an Auto-cannon in the turret really, your sponsons are either HB or LC. Do some converting on the model to make it look better than the god-awful GW pred turret; seriously that thing is a grade fuckin A++ shot trap

Unless have them all painted, you're a poofta

Still better than the leman russ tractor brigade. Although being armed with an autocannon just means the predator has more similarities with an ifv.

*Shudders* Somehow worse than a KV-2....in game I wouldnt give a fuck if my opponent uses Deimos or Mars pattern rhino/preds.

Also autocannon turret makes it an IFV/scout tank in armament but with a light/medium hull. Predator=30/40k Sherman?

Yeah a predator is similar to a sherman or a panzer iv used to support infantry.

What the living fuck is that? I want it

Looking nice user. I know you've been showing them off a bit, and if I had just one smidge of advice, I would say do the bases.

In my humble opinion, models look much better with completed bases. They do as much to finish off a model as weathering or transfers.

Isn't Pred generally meh tier unless you use Preds as Troop RoW?

A Dust tactics Ho-347 that I intend on kitbashing into a proxy Lightning for my space Germanic Romans and also WOLFENSTEIN. ECLanon should give a sizing picture of it compared to a Lightning for size reference in the morning; if need be I can try to ratio it in a mold with putty or Imperial it up with underslung Manticore missile and shit

Space germanic romans? Show your miniatures user

Lol, Im being a shit; Im poking at SoH and their inspiration, (as best I can tell). Im shit at painting currently but if you insist...
Fine detail, touch ups, decals and some more TLC and I think I might be okay at painting

Which units could be double used in a 30k Taghmata/40k AdMech army?

Pretty decent, though I'd advise you to clean up your paint job.

Sounds juice, share some stories?

Actually doing so right now; finally have a couple minutes and some fine detail brushes instead of the shit I was using before

Don't use tripcode user, it's against the etiquette of this site

Still super new to Veeky Forums in general beyond lurking. You mean the name by Tripcode? I thought it was kosher for the goose/emu thing I kinda caused. Thanks for the heads up

I thought it was against etiquette to fill up space with shit like "going to sleep now, baii!" and "gonna grab a bite to eat, pizza or burger?" ?