Warhammer 40k General /40kg/

Functional Edition

>Lastest news :
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/17/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-drukhari-may17/

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/17/new-warhammer-40000-reserves-and-deep-striking-may17gw-homepage-post-4/

>Your daily duncan :
youtu.be/CZEXEZnM8kU

>Previously on /40kg/
>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!z4wmmJyR!jTfwLczhdFjV0q6nowtGag!qgZhmAhK

>40k rules reference in wiki format:
sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Latest GW teases:
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW FAQs:
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>8th edition FAQ:
warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/05/new-warhammer-40000-battle-forged-armiesgw-homepage-post-4/
trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=1323064636&cc=61
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1495062247035.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Somehow this long after the post went up, first for the Dark City

I like Primaris Marines and there's nothing you can do about it!

Are Primaris Marines stronger or weaker than Custodes?

I just want to see how fear works damn it

>FW Primarie Terminators are gonna wear Saturmine mk II armour

I'm really praying to god tyranid warriors, shrikes, and raveners are actually fucking decent this edition. They seem set up for it, considering they hold up decently well to small arms fire and get to carry weapons that are getting buffs. Venom cannons and stranglethorns I'm both really curious to see. I'm worried that they and most of the tyranid dex is going to be fodder to weapons like battle cannons and mortars now dealing d6 or d3 shots instead of pie plating. Things like Hive Tyrants and carnifexes are going to eat some fucking damage when a battle cannon shoots at them.

Marine

So if Primarus marines can be of any Geneseed, and entire chapters of them exist, does that mean you could have a Primarus chapter of Space Wolf Successors?

This style of armour is being turned into a dreadnought design.

Yes there is, I can leave 40K.

>Primastode
Please no.

But that would only make me like them more because they reduced the number of faggots!

Go for it user, I stopped being GW's target audience in 2004.

I like the too but I'm biased, they look almost exactly like the ultimate Power armour mockup i did years ago.

Mk4 helmet, mk 8 gorget, mk 5 greave-fused knees, only thing missin is mk 8 pattern braces with dorsal hand guard.

>inb4 Primaris Wulfen
>their CM is called Lupus Primus

I have almost no experience with this franchise. Who's up for some questions?

>Why are there so many different generals for this game? I thought 7th edition and AoS were the only ways to play this game? The fuck are the differences?
>Would now be a good time to build a first squad or should I wait for 8th edition?
>What game or game version would be the cheapest to play? Which game version is the most popular?
>How do you know which armies can use which models or which factions can team up with other factions?
>Tell me about Custodes since I love their aesthetic. Are they fun to play? Can I get away with only having infantry? What about Black Templar?
>Can Custodes use an Emperor's Champion?
>Why is the Emperor's Champion so expensive?
>What is the extent of the customization of /yourdudes/? Like, as long as it's recognizable, is it legal? Could you have silver Custodes or Black Templar with different colored robes or whatever? Could you decorate a Custode or whatever spess muhreen with bits of Tyranids as trophies or ornaments and still be legal? Custodes with purple robes?

I think the Primaris marine bitching will be over sooner than the Newcron bitching was.

So, those chapters "devastated during the Gathering Storm", which were that?

Obviously Black Templars took a huge hit and Imperial Fists lost almost a whole company. Ultramarines themselves also gained and subsequently lost a bunch of guys.

Any other chapters involved that I'm not thinking of? If there's going to be Chapters rejecting Primaris Marines, Black Templars are the prime candidates for that role and saying "Imperial Fists are getting a company of them" in such a convoluted way seems dumb.

Who cares. They'll be fully replenished by next campaign, or will otherwise be completely unaffected by the reduced strenght because of bullshit plot armor.

What if GW wants wyches to be a utility unit? Perhaps pairing wyches with some of the dark eldar monstrous creatures like the talos could be useful to keep those mcs in combat during the enemy's turn.

>Things like Hive Tyrants and carnifexes are going to eat some fucking damage when a battle cannon shoots at them.
Not as much as you think.

Average 3.5 shots
Avg 1.75 hits
Avg 1.16 Wounds
Avg 0.77 unsaved Wounds
Avg 1.55 lost Wounds after D3 damage roll

Assuming no armour save buffs or cover or To Hit penalties from Venomthropes or Feel No Pain type special rules. Also consider Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants should have around 10 Wounds or more, and Carnifexes will likely have native Regenerate.

Are The Unforgiven going to be given access to Cataphractii armor in 8th? I mean, I would like the newer one too (tartaros right?) but I sort of get the reason why. What I don't get is why the chapter that hoards and uses ancient tech has no suits of the first run of terminator armor lying about.

>>Why are there so many different generals for this game? I thought 7th edition and AoS were the only ways to play this game? The fuck are the differences?
You also seem new to Veeky Forums, threads die, new generals are made.
40k is one game as is AoS, and Shadow War Armageddon.

>>Would now be a good time to build a first squad or should I wait for 8th edition?
Wait

>>What game or game version would be the cheapest to play? Which game version is the most popular?
Shadow war Armageddon is Cheapest because it's essentially just one 40k squad.
40k is normally most popular

>>How do you know which armies can use which models or which factions can team up with other factions?
It's in the army rules and base rules

>>Tell me about Custodes since I love their aesthetic. Are they fun to play? Can I get away with only having infantry? What about Black Templar?
Wait for 8th's rules, current meta is irrelevant

>>Can Custodes use an Emperor's Champion?
No

>>Why is the Emperor's Champion so expensive?
Special guy

>>What is the extent of the customization of /yourdudes/? Like, as long as it's recognizable, is it legal?

Yes, as long as model role and wargear are recognisable at first glance.

Most likely, all first founding SHOULD have a few sets.

It will. Most people actually like them, it's just a vocal minority that's really pissed off.

Who here old school space marine master race?

I will never buy those obese maggot dicked new pieces of shit.

>There's 40k (now 7e, soom 8e), AoS, remnants of Fantasy Battle players, RPG players, lore threads and 'My Dudes' threads, usually
>Wait a few weeks until 8e, release date will be announced this month
>Kill Team and Shadow War: Armageddon both only use a handful of dudes, regular 1000-1850 poimt games are the most played
>a unit's faction is listed on its datasheet and the box, allies are listed on an ally chart currrently, going to use faction keywords next edition, apparently
>they're a fun gimmick elite force in 7e and not competitive meta but pack a punch and are especially good as a supporting force. Black Templars are the weakest SM chapter in 7e but general assault buffs already made them better and they'll most likely get some more love in 8e
>only if you add a Black Templar detachment
>Instant-Death fighter with great equipment and unique characters generally being more expensive due to unique rules
>Depends on your play environment. Tournaments usually have What You See Is What You Get, meaning a dude with a Plasma Gun needs to actually have something clearly recognisable ad one but can otherwise look however you want, just make it clear what you are playing, especially when using rules for a SM chapter without using their colors

Step 1. Get out of 40K, it will bring you nothing but pain.

Step 2. Head on over to the Warhammer Fantasy General and get comfy.

Speaking of newcorns... I want fucking Pariahs back.
Fucking awesome models.

Autism, mostly.
Either/or. 8th won't change what models you can olay, only which ones are grossly broken. It's always more fun to play what you like.
Shadow war is cheapest, 40k most popular.
Each codex lists the factions models, ally in anyone following their codex. Don't buy a 7th codex they about to drop free for 8th
No idea
No idea
Jews
Serious tournaments will outline what qualifys, for causal play they just need to recognizable. Very /yourdudes/

I have a lore question stemming from a model question. I used to play Dark Angels, but decided to make my own Chapter recently. Still Unforgiven, so I can use many of the same vehicles and a couple of bits as relics and wargear and such, but I am really attached to that Chaplian I got from Dark Vengance. Would it be absurd to say that the armor was a gift on their founding so they just keep it as it was when they got it? I was going to paint the chapter symbol on the cape. Or is that stepping on too many toes. I really don't want to smooth that shoulderpad down, it's a really nice model.

Aren't there like 10 000 black templars anyway?

>play DoW
>"Man, these Pariah guys are sweet."
>get into the Tabletop
>find out they're gone
>also Wraiths are bug things now instead of spooky skeleton snek ghost things

There seems to be a lot.

>all first founding SHOULD have a few sets

Tell that to the chucklefuck that wrote Angels of Darkness.

Yeah, Wraith and Flayed Ones classic were way better flavours.

Around 6000, unless they make that "they're only 1200" bullshit from that 6e BL novel canon.

>spooky skeleton snek ghosts
Fuck you now I miss them more.

I am actually really worried the primaris marines are going to be straight better than regular marines. 2 wounds, an extra attack, AND a longer range? they should be like 30-35 points each, and not the 13ppm regular marines are said to cost.

However I have this fear they are going to be 15-20ppm. And 1 wound berserkers will still be 20ppm with models from 1999 that'll teach those traitors :^)

Goofy Skeletor Tomb Kings>Edgy terminators rippoffs

Obliterator>Possessed>beserkers>primaris>custodes>terminator>manlet marines

Finally finished Titanicus. Really was a sweet novel.

Just kind of disappointed with the ending.
Stefan was killed off in such a silly way.
We never heard what became of Prinzholm and Tarses.
They should've elaborated where Varco, Ashlag and Kell disappeared to and if they all moved into a hive or if Varco left with them and became part of the tribes.

Other than that, cool as fuck novel. Would love another one about Invicta.

How did I do Veeky Forums?

Yes, nothing more uplifting than a bunch of gronards sitting in moms basement complaining about how much shit GW is, while clinching on to past relics such as whfb.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but can't stand the majority of what's left of the fanbase.

Not new to Veeky Forums, but I remember seeing generals for 40k, AoS, HH, and something else too.

Thank you all for the information. I'm just looking for a small squad to play with friends, nothing too serious. Maybe I'll try Custodes with a Black Templar attachment, however that would work out within the rules (where would you look for this rule?). My main interest is painting them but if I can use them in a game, that's cool too.

The only way Templars take a huge hit is if they lose the Eternal Crusader otherwise losing a single and small crusade force is nothing when they have dozens of recruitment spots and at least 5 other crusades.

Keep in mind that they (Intecessor) seem to be capped at 5 models/unit with no special weapon options.
That takes away a of of flexibility which would give a point discount

8th is about to come out, so we can't give you firm rules answers for that. Reasonable assumption is that you just have separate detachments for your main and allied forces. We only have 3 of the starting detachments known already, but they should give you an idea: warhammer-community.com/2017/05/05/new-warhammer-40000-battle-forged-armiesgw-homepage-post-4/
So you could do a Battalion of a primary force, then a Patrol of your allies, for example.

That's funny because I feel the same way about 40K.

Nearly everything wrong with GW right now can be traced back to 40K's cancerous WAAC ADHD community.

Im not sure what it is to be honest....

The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps?

Oh ok. Hopefully one of those list building sites updates with 8th edition to help me build my first squad. Thanks user

>What is the extent of the customization of /yourdudes/?
You can paint them however you want, GW wants you to paint them however you want. If you want to paint your Black Templars silver, do it, call them something else, and keep using the Black Templars rules. No one gives a fuck as long as they can tell what their facing, i.e. your not proxying your Emperors Champion with a model of a Necron or something.

Win at all costs

trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=1323064636&cc=61

worth it?

>I'm just looking for a small squad to play with friends, nothing too serious.
That's Shadow War Armageddon for you.

"Real" 40k carries a investment on the levee of a modern gaming console, for every single participant, plus the need for terrain, rule books, and the hours of work building and painting.
E single box i also comparative to a console game as is the time investment.

It's clearly a valhallan guardsman, you dolt. (It's literally a bug)

Oh, I always hated those fags. Unless you're in an actual competitive environment, which there is always room for, the core of this hobby should be having fun as an Armchair General and playing with your toys.

Well, to be fair, a large audience migrated when whfb died and AoS took over. Thing is, the audience of 40k was so many times larger than whfb, so even if we had a bunch of neckbeards they where still a minority. Doesn't make them less loud though, but at least I can chose to ignore and pick another group.

Yup! 8th edition is projected to release sometime June, probably about mid-month, though we don't have an official release date. Once it does release, the list builders will all update appropriately.

Because we don't have full rules, current wisdom on what units are good or bad in each faction is liable to change, so I'd recommend sticking with core units (HQ and troops) for whatever you choose to pick up, and hold off on the fancy extras until you know you want to use them. Though you said you were really into the crafts aspect, in which case you should just get whatever looks cool to you.

Should I just paint some tactical marines to waste the time?

I was going to say no, until i saw that shelf price for the full plastic set is twice that.

I for one wouldn't though.

Can anyone identify this Space Marine bit for me? I know it's a backpack mounted icon, and is reminiscent of an Iron Halo, but I don't know what kit it comes from.

I got it from a Black Templar bits hoard I bought off of eBay back in August. Upon looking through the bits, I noticed that a fair few weren't actually from the BT Chapter upgrade set. Most of those non-BT bits ended up being from the command squad kit, but I haven't yet figured out what this bit is from. I want to make sure it isn't specific to another chapter before I put it on a Castellan or something.

These issues have been going on for a while, well before 2014.

It's not the 'neckbeards' either that are the problem, it's the majority of the community.

There are people in this thread waiting to see which factions are best before picking one. That's not the spirit of war-gaming.

It's a spiky bit.

Looks like the 8 pointed star to me.
burn this heretical artifact

I'd be very surprised if nid mcs didn't at least double their wound count.

battle cannon is a threat but it's still going to take a few turns to kill something.

It's from the terminator set, it goes on the back of the sergeant.

If you're playing SM, you really can't go wrong with tacticals. We just got an announcement about new Marines+ TM (Primaris Marines) which are shaping up to be tougher, longer-range tacticals which cost more and are less flexible, which won't be out till 8th drops. They shouldn't invalidate old marines, but to be safe I'd recommend only picking up a couple packs of the old tacticals.

>Looks like the 8 pointed star to me.
Consult your local eugenics provider.

I think IG platoons with lascannon teams will be fantastic in 8th.

You might want to play it even safer and do a vehicle, something that is definitely not going to become obsolete in 8th, like a drop pod or metal box. Depending on how geedubs handles them, Primaris Marines could end up being strictly better than Tactical Squads.

Fuck off tzeentch it is clearly a heretical symbol do not trick us.

You must not be able to count.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1495062247035.webm

We were told we're getting primaris vehicles. Nothing is safe.

different user but i get what you mean, i just started last year and have dark eldar and ad mech but most of the other people ive seen that started about the same time at my local place are playing tau.

I'm playing as Dark Angels successors, so I was going to slap them with some extra Plasma rifles I have so it's more 50/50 between the two.

I do need to get a flyer, but that's much more expensive and we're sort of iffy on flyers.

Counting is heresy and Tzeentch worship. If it looks slightly Chaos, it is chaos.

Fuck you, Chaos Daemon.

I think 40K is just too big for it's boots. It's the Star Wars of sci-fi and has transcended the normal boundaries into pop culture.

This unfortunately means the normies are piling in, people who under normal circumstance would have little interest in war-gaming and it's these people who bring the cancer.

How will the new rules for old blast weapons like the battle cannon be affected by ballistic skill? Is it just D6 shots, each hits on a 4+?

If so, fuck, small blast weapons are getting gimped hard. Average of 0.75 hits with BS 4+. Time to bin my mortar squads.

Alright, thanks for the help!

I'll probably put it on the backpack of a Sword Brother/Castellan/Marshal then.

They already showed us a blast weapon in one of the weapon posts.

Old marines can be made to have similar proportions to the new ones, just saw apart their legs at the thighs and by the waists connection point then add plasticard (about 1mm thick) into the cut areas with double thickness for the waist and an extra layer under the feet they'll look much better.

I'm building an army to start playing with some friends when 8th edition releases but I have no idea about the lore. What are some good novels/videogames to catch up quickly and not feel left out when they start talking about marine chapters and all that stuff?

You'll want the waist extension to go above the belt, rather than below.

Just read the codices provided in the OP.

T-Rex arms

>Spirit of wargaming

Did you miss the AoS release?
People you thought the nicest guy at the club brought everything but the kitchen sink to utterly curbstomp just about everything. Even the shy guy who always claimed "I'm only in it for the models" turned out to be a total dick!

When it came down to it, most wargamers have no idea about morals and ethics, and needs a quick reference point chart to point to as to be able to play their op lists and believing its "fair". Hell, when GW stands for the rules, we should acknowledge that its as far from fair as you can get.

how is my list so far, anons?

You're missing:
CSM
Chosen
Chaos Termies
Havocs
Chaos Bikers
Raptors
Warp Talons
Helbrutes
etc

I can't seem to find a clear answer for some reason: does anyone know what khopeshes were usually made from? I was thinking of painting my power khopeshes to be slightly historically accurate on my scarab occult, if only at least in color.

You might want to consider getting a few Tau battlesuits, magnetizing and painting them. I'd say that is a pretty safe bet.

>been playing the game for a few months, play DE
>have a fun list with my custom-made archon and army
>feel it's started to get a bit too cheesy thanks to two squads of 6 reavers in pretty much all my lists
>still, my winrate is mostly wins, but some close draws and losses
>go to a tourney at the local competitive store
>play against grey knights/deathwatch
>'oh, this shouldn't be too ba--'
>they drop rowboat girlyman and use psyker powers to basically guarantee assaults with him, then spend the game casually slapping my shit effortlessly

I don't think I'm going back to the competitive scene any time soon.

Metal, dumbass

Google it, it's literally in the first result.

You probably can't find a clear answer because it's not something archaeologists ever felt the need to specify, because they were only ever made out of one thing: bronze. They called it the bronze age for a reason, chief.

Props for trying to portray them accurately though. Bronze/gold looks gr8 on Thousand Sons anyway.

They where made in Bronze and Iron. We have examples of both.

Jesus, I feel stupid for not thinking of that. Thanks user.
I was asking for what kind, baka user.
Sorry, my google skills must be not up to par as of late. I couldn't see it while quickly searching so I was probably skimming too much or something. Thanks though.

Actually the reason this conversion works is because oldmarines have massive gorilla arms and huge barrel chests, so when you extend the waist and legs you end up with something somewhat sensibly proportioned.