Worst units in 40k

With 7th ed drawing to a close, I'd like to take a look at what needs buffing desperately.

To that end: What are the absolute worst units in the game currently? I'm not talking 'they're sub-optimal, but you CAN throw them in', I'm talking 'the absolute worst crap, completely outclassed by everything else in the ____ codex, and you're wasting points and giving your opponent free VPs for running them'?

So far, I have:
Tyranid Pyrovores
Dark Eldar Hellions
Dark Eldar Wyches
Space Marine Assault Centurions
CSM Mutilators
Necron C'tan shards
Craftworld Eldar Storm Guardians
Astra Militarum Rough Riders

CSM: Chosen
Orks: Everything
Eldar: Everything needs nerf
IG: Leman Russ
Necron:?
Tau: Squat faction

I'm talking specific units in each faction.

Obviously, a squad of DE hellions are going to slap the shit out of most things orky, but they're still a horrendous waste of points.

pyrovores might do some nasty shit to dark eldar, but they're still horrendous, over-priced units with horrid drawbacks.

etc.

cult mechanicus corpuscarii and fulgarite electro-priests

He gave you examples. It's just that for eldar their worst unit is still really good and for orks there is no good

Sisters of battle: Celestians

Similarly equipped and more expensive than a space marine, but worse in every possible way. You can also take a command squad in the same slot, which is identical to them, except every model can take upgrades. There's literally no reason to take them.

>chosen

only melee chosen are mutilator tier bad. shooty chosen are just suboptimal. they would at least be close to sternguard tier if CSM had pods. no special ammo, but chosen have more CC attacks and marks etc. there are way worse things in the CSM codex like warp talons, possessed, ksons, etc.

Orks need a minimum of 20% point drop across the board with the exception of Mek Gunz which are priced quite well.

The fact that units can charge from reserves might actually make kommandos incredible now. Melee units with infiltrate/outflank are going to be butchers.

Only if you can roll 8+ on 2d6 and if you don't get it, they will just fall back and blow you to shit next turn.

I'm guessing orks will maintain their mechanic to reroll a charge dice. Also strategems allow you to do the same thing.

Does the 9 inch from enemy rule also apply to units coming in from the board edge? Or just to units entering via deep strike?

For the SW it's probably the Wolf Scouts
>Costlier than the SM equivalent for really little bonuses
>Elite so you can't even take them troop tax, and if you use Champions of Fenris you are most going to take the Iron Priests as tax
>Their previous mark of fame, being better and cooler than the other chapters scouts, basically removed because they made now the other scouts are WS/BS 4 too

At least the Blood Claws can be cheap troop tax and the other two Claw units are your alternative if you don't want to go uberwolf and take TWC
Obviously they aren't as bad as many Orks units, but currently they are most likely the least used unit of the entire codex

>Orks need a minimum of 20% point drop across the board
Plz do not. It's hard enough fitting a 1500pt ork army on your table edge as it is

>Dark Eldar Wyches
Looks like they have a boost in 8th
>4++ in CC
>-AP1
>Probably faster than marines
>Can lock units in combat

Makes them somewhat better

Chosen are amazing in an Alpha Legion detachment. Infiltrating troops Chosen are bullshit, speaking from both the giving and recieving end.

They are definitely faster than marines
They have already said that typical Eldars will be faster (so 7" at least), so I would expect Wyches to be at least 8" per turn

Also, while that is good, I don't think it's enough to make them actually work. They need some way to be able to survive when they are not in combat, particularly now that cover save doesn't work as well as it used to for them
But we have not seen their actual datasheet, so it's still too soon to draw any conclusion

dark eldar mandrakes

If anything cover saves work better for them now? Its a straight addition to their armour save, so even +1 cover gives them a 4+ save, combined with their speed they should be able to hop from cover to cover and make some early charges on key units, hopefully locking them in

Wyches are 6+ armor.

chosen are fine, if you are going full range

if melee they are just useless and overcosted garbage

still 6+ save or 6+ cover vs 5+ save while in cover

Vespids, mainly because they were overcharged in points

Deathstrike
SM vanguards

>>Dark Eldar Wyches
>Looks like they have a boost in 8th
++ in CC
They've had that since forever
>>-AP1
Still wound on 5+ and only on wych weapons. These are limited to 1 if less than 10 or 3 at 10+
>>Probably faster than marines
They're I6, so they better be
>>Can lock units in combat
They can do that now, so they're effectively worse at their job than before.
>Makes them somewhat better
Except it doesn't because they only get their 4++ in the fight pause according to the article, which means they die to pistols in the shooting phase.

Chaos Daemons Furies.

They're so bad people forget they exist. Usually Chaos Daemons players, too.

It's far, far easier to simply list the things in the Ork Codex WORTH taking.

>Meganobz

Literally the only assault unit worth taking.

>Mek Gunz

Kustom Mega Kannons, Lobbas, Traktor Kannons, Kannons are all worth taking. Smasha Gunz I'd have to say no. Bubblechuka and Zzap Gunz are in the "absolute worst crap" catagory.

>Trukks

Cheap exploding transports. Work well with MANZ.

>Battlewagons

Slightly more survivable than a Trukk. Overcosted but worth taking.

>Warboss

Usable with Lucky Stikk. Cannot take on anyone with AP2.

>Painboy

Decent buffer

>Buggies

Cheap fearless Rokkits

>Deffkoptas

Cheap jinking Rokkits

>Grots

Used to hold objectives and fill mandatory troop requirements

>Lootas

Autocannon spam

>Biker Boyz

Probably the best unit in the codex. Still go down horribly to Ignore Cover.

That's really it. Everything else can honestly be put into either the crap or absolute crap boxes. Something like Tankbustas are marginal but the grenade FAQ really smashed them hard.

This decision is the worst of all. Orks already have ridiculous model count, at some point you want to stop increasing model ammount and increase quality.

All orks having a built-in FnP of 6+ would go a long way for example.

Tau non-forgeworld flyers.

Funny thing, these units are not even OP , they just perform well for their point cost.

I especially dislike Burna Boyz (a 16 pts for a boy with pseudo-powersword). Like, if he makes it into melee range and cuts a tactical apart(surviving getting shot on approach, overwatch and then getting hit in melee beacuse I2) he STILL loses in terms of value trade by 2 points. Which is a dman shame, they have cool models.

Tankbustas are alright despite overcosted, they can do work in a trukk if you keep them alive.

That's really all I can think of to add. Orks fucking suck huh.

Zhadstar is slightly OP despite being super expensive.

Shame it drops like a sack of kaiju shit to Ignores Cover.

>the grenade FAQ really smashed them hard

Ok, a little off-topic but why did that need to be FAQ'd?

I've just got back into the game and was given a rulebook last week, it is written in bold text that one grenade can be thrown by a unit per phase.

Make way for the unholy champion of shitty units.

It even has a shitty model to underline it's utter shittyness.

That's not a pyrovore (though the model is ugly as fuck)

cute

Mutilator's shittyness is refined. Not only they are shitty in general, being slow as fuck close combat units, but also they ware an obvious elaboration on Obliterators, who are either awesome (despite being in CSM codex so it doesn't help them much).

Mutilators have a shit model but they're at least usable in niche armylists, and they make a passable Elite Tax if you're running a Purge army. They're a fairly cost-effective Distraction Carnifex with Death Guard tactics in that regard.

I'm still surprised nobody has mentioned the Maleceptor. What a giant sack of shit.

How are 4 Str 4 attacks per guy in a 10-man squad with a Power Fist and 2 Axes shit? That's how I run mine, with a biomancy sorcorer, and they tend to do well

When was the last time you saw a Storm Guardian or a Fire Prism? Or Asurmen and most of the Phoenix Lords?

Mutilators can be atleast semi-effective when deep striking in solo.
Maleceptor is imo much worse than pyrovore as pyrovore is only 40(?) points down the drain while maleceptor is 200+
Toxicrene is also pretty shit

I'd say your memery badly needs a buff, m8.

Vespids

The competition for worst unit in the ork codex is fierce, but a couple really stand out:

Stormboyz are incredibly delicate jump assault guys. They cost 50% more points than slugga boyz, but die just as easily. They can't be placed in a transport. They can deep strike, but it doesn't help. Kommandos at least get stealth to keep them alive for a little while.

Killa kans. Went from being pretty decent to absolutely terrible with a points hike and a special morale rule just for them.

But my vote for absolute worst unit in the codex goes to the g/morkanaut. It costs about the same as a land raider and has comparable firepower, but is AV 13, only holds six models and somehow isn't an assault vehicle. in exchange for that, it becomes a walker with underwhelming close combat ability.

They are extremely expensive close combat footslogger unit with only 3+/no++ in an edition dominated with bullshit strong shooting weapons that cut through any armor like it was butter.

Biomancy helps, yes, but does not even get close to removing this issue.

So what makes pyrovore so shitty anyway? I don't play nids.

I don't think the Taurox has a role. I've never kitted out a vets squad and said "these guys need a Taurox rather than a Chimera".

The fact it's a bad model doesn't help, but it's something with little reason to exist and not enough differentiation between it and it's competition to give it a reason to exist.

Hell, I'd even say a Guard Rhino would be a better idea, at least there's a role difference between them (APC/Battle Taxi vs. IFV/Fire Support).

those ladies

Aye but as long as you're not chucking them at dedicated CC units (which really, who brings?) they tear shit. Easily one of my favourite units to bring to a game.

>Anything Vanilla Eldar
>The worst of anything
You're not convincing anyone you're army isn't broken, also those fuckers have the best combat model in the fucking game as the head of their aspect branch

Usimg MRAPs IRL has made me hate that thing. 4 sets of tracks are the worst thing to ever think of when designing a military combat vehicle. Why not just put some damn tires on it GW?

>In the elite section, which is a heavily crowded slot for nids with some decent units
>40 points for a slow space marine stat line, albeit it with W3, but it has less initiative, WS, BS, SV4+, LD6
>Has one flamer shot
>Has no way around the board with 0 transports
>Bulky
>Did I mention slow? With only a flamer and no option to change
>40 POINTS

It just has 0 use

You don't need Chosen to kill non-dedicated CC units. Even regural CSMs can do that, not to mention Berzerkers, Raptors or other close combat/ close range units Chaos Marines have a lot.

Word Bearers user here. Truth be told, if I were to run a World Eaters army, I'd just run the three 5-man units you get in a Warband and call it a day. 100 points for 25 S5 attacks with reroll charge and pregame move is decent enough for bullying smaller things.

Really, of all the CSM units I would consider Possessed the worst overall. They're the least flexible, grossly overcosted, and their formation relies on protecting a T5 MC and doesn't actually make them any faster.

Barring Rubrics and Berzerkers, pretty much any other Chaos Marine unit can be used in the right list without folks looking at you like you're fresh meat.

Okay that is pretty sad. Based on the model I expected it to be more like that one that shot spore mines around the table.

Ogryn and bullgryn for IG, it's even worse than RR. At least slabshield bullgryn have uses, ogryn are just straight fucked.

>S5 AP- 12" gun on ogryn
>+5 armor
>45 points each

>S4 AP6 small blast on range bullgryn
>at least they get a 4+?
>45 points each

>no range at all on melee bullgryn
>S7 but only AP4 melee attacks
>4+/5++
>60(!) points each

>all three have shit Ld despite supposedly being brave and loyal to the point of stupidity
>all three are very bulky so it's basically impossible to transport them even though IG has great transports

Don't forget when they die, they blow up and damage things near them. Which is more than likely your own units because those guys aint leaving your deployment zone very quickly.

The bizarre thing is, it actually looks cool with wheels, the treads make no sense from any perspective.

I dunno, I could at least see Bullgryns being usable in that gray area between super-casual and super-fluffy, simply due to the potential for comic rule interactions. At worst, you could do some comic "big boy" list where Bullgryn units from a Rampart Detachment (or two) serve as "meat" to screen a ton of Dreads from a Blood Angels "Chapter Ancients" formation (or two). If doing a "no-psyker" build, I could imagine such a build at least giving foes pause for thought. Also, IIRC, you can still take Tauroxen and just use them as semi-disposable Land Speeders if you really needed to round the list off). Or it could be a comic pairing with Custodes for their Fearless bubble.

Still suffers from speed issues and not actually being that durable for its points (1 Bullgryn=15 Conscripts) but it's still a funny sentiment.

Slabshield bullgryn are the only usable ones. With Rampart Detachment fuckery and Camo Gear you can give Leman Russes/other vehicles a 2+ cover save, or shield the hell out of your infantry. They're still hella pricey, though.

I fucking LOVE the bullgryn with power mauls, aesthetically. They're great. But they're so enormously expensive for their stats that they really are unusable in even a semi-casual list.

Why is that gal in front painted differently than the others?

Vlad the implyer

>Blood Angels
Anything that is not an Elites or HQ unit, basically.

I run bullgryns frequently and they always seem to do well for me. I usually run 2 or 3 with shields and the rest with mauls then stick a priest in there for those glorious rerollable saves.
I've had them smashing terminators, chapter masters, even an imperial knight once with a double six.
I only really play casual games though so it could just be down to that why I get away with this shit.

I actually really like the model and would use it as a biovore proxy, however theyre like £22.50 per model so... fuck that

Celestian Squads
The Command Squad version are only 5 models max but can get FnP and have more options.

Celestian Squads are just Battle Sisters squads but worst and more expensive.

Even Repentias and PE can be use in some way. Celestian are just bad

cause shes the exarch aka captain

The horrible models don't help

Something people forget is you CAN send them through the Trygon tunnel

1-3 heavy flamers appearing almost anywhere you like isn't terrible, but an expensive set up and still quite shit.

The Trygon should make them and other shitty units quite good in 8th with his new tunnel skills

I have 6 with wheels and with both main weapons adjusted on the turret.
Cannot take pic (I am in the wrong continent) but I am very happy with the result.

You're better off sending them in a Tyrannocyte, the Trygon (in this edition) is such a poor setup and relies on too much happening: if the Trygon doesn't come in turn 2, but the pyrovores do, you're fucked. If they all come in turn 2, you can't use the tunnel. Tyrannocyte is better and cheaper.

GW and some stupid IG players think wheels don't fit thematically with IG

Meks are OK too. Deffkoptas should have the option to take a warboss though cus the ld7 is shit.

But...why is she shaded and layered differently? Is it a common eldar thing to have the squad leader have a slightly different color scheme?

Tyranid warriors deserve a mention. Because of their insane cost combined with thorough mediocirty.

Don't they only explode from Instant Death?
Which means that when it's on the other side of the board, they can just use their high strength weapons to also harm your guys, and if it SOMEHOW makes it to their dudes they ping it to death and not have to worry about it exploding.

Take a warboss and slap him on the relic bike so he keeps up.

Still limited by terrain and thematically shit but it works.

I hope choppaz will be buyable equipment, I want a flying mek.

They really aren't that bad, statwise. It's just how horribly overcosted they are for what you get. 600 points for ONE squad of ten so-so units that are decent in assault and have zero ranged options? Yeah, nah.

+ Being synapse creatures you play them safe, meaning they tend not to do much but babysit and take occasional shots

This is true, but at T4 there's a fair amount that can ID them. Same argument as Warriors being shit because despite 3 wounds, they get ID'd way too easy.

Repentia are worse since the no getting in BB transport. a 6" moving unit (since you can't assault out of any SoB transport, no open topped ones or assault vehicles) with solely a 6+ save for 15PPM that strike last. Even if you get into combat there's a good chance you die anyway. Never seen them even make it to combat against anybody who has played the game more than twice.

At least Celestians have power armour and bolters.

The point I was trying to get at was more that you can't even try to make the blowing up useful to you even if it gets in their faces, it's pure drawback on an already bad unit.

Space marines
-tac squads
-scouts
-terminators
-dreadnaughts
-land raiders

Everything else in the game can use a nerf/point increase

Electro priests. Those things are absolute dog shite.

Those units don't suck at all. The problem is that Eldar have even better choices to take. Everything the Eldar have is good but they have a lot of great that gets used more because of it.

CE need to go back to the chess piece style of units and less "best at everything" selection.

It's role is in its speed plus having a little more bite while being lighter weight. I use them in combo with chimeras pretty effectively

This, I really wish they'd be BS 5 and much stealthier. Most SW units are either weaker and cheaper than their vanilla equivalent (Blood Claws vs Tacs and Wolf Lords vs Chapter Master) or costier but better (Grey Hunters vs Tacs and Wolf Lords vs Captain).

Wolf Scouts are just costier scouts in Elite. A shame because I like the idea of Space Wolves realizing the worth of scouts and stealth marines.

BA doesn't really have any of the worst units in the game, but it does have some pretty shitty units anyway.

>-tac squads
I raise you one Blood Angel Tactical Squad. Imagine if your shooty, mostly rapid firing Tactical Squad was locked to a Chapter Tactic that only benefited them when they charged and enemy. If it wasn't for them being able to take Heavy Flamers they'd be completely inferior to vanilla Tacticals (though being all but inferior to Codex: Spoiled Marines is a BA specialty at this point anyway).

BA Devastator Squads on the other hand have no fucking excuse for being shit. Why is the army's Heavy Weapons squad given Furious Charge as a "bonus"? Why can they not take Heavy Flamers, the one Heavy Weapon they'd be able to use their "bonus" with, when it's on the Heavy Weapons list and both Tacticals and Sternguard can?

Tycho (both versions) is also pretty bad just because he has no role in a BA army anymore. He lost his ability to punch shit to death in melee and a Mastercrafted Combi-Melta isn't exactly overly threatening in terms of shooting. He's just a sub-optimal Captain with a shitty Warlord trait baked into him at this point. The DC version doesn't even mesh with DC squads because he has to footslog everywhere.

BA Techmarines are inferior to other Techmarines. 1 wound, no Relics, no Conversion Beamers, and no Thunderfire Cannons. Still the same price for whatever reason though. Yay.

Command Squads are also inferior to vanilla. You're stuck with the shitty champion, apothecary, and three veterans. No access to bikes, but they at least can take jump packs.

Vanguard Vets don't get discounted wargear and are pretty much inferior to DC because of it. Why wouldn't you pay 1 point more to get FnP, Relentless, Fearless, and fucking Rage on a melee unit?

That's about all I can think of in terms of shitty BA units. Others are shitty but at least have a role to play.

>Space marine players complaining about anything
>Space marine players just posting half their codex as 'the worst units in the game'

Here is your (You) enjoy

2/10 i did reply and even rolled my eyes.

Can BA tacticals buy close combat weapons like Grey Hunters? Otherwise holy shit, the SW are better at charging than BA.

Maleceptors are the single worst unit in the game. They took the crown from pyrovores for worst Tyranid.

Not sure if Im doing this right, but maybe Rangers for the skittles?
Theres just no reason to use them, as far as I can see. If you want shooty infantry, you use vanguard. If you want long ranged stuff, you use the AdMech robots or onagers. I just didnt think they do anything, which is sad because I love their models and the skittles need every one of their troops to work, because they have so few. Im thinking of just buying some and using them as proxy vanguard, because their models look a whole lot better, to me at least

Banshees are less fragile per point and do less damage per point than Boyz.

Depends on what youre fighting them against, but generally yeah. But that happens for a lot of units. Boys are less effective than conscripts in the exact same way, unfortunately

>BA Devastator Squads on the other hand have no fucking excuse for being shit. Why is the army's Heavy Weapons squad given Furious Charge as a "bonus"? Why can they not take Heavy Flamers, the one Heavy Weapon they'd be able to use their "bonus" with, when it's on the Heavy Weapons list and both Tacticals and Sternguard can?

That's just how wargear options work it ain't perfect. but by this logic Chaos players should be allowed to just put Grav on their bikers and shit because fuck it "i want too"

>BA Techmarines are inferior to other Techmarines
>implying anyone ever takes techmarines
>Implying you would
>Implying you would bother with shitty conversion beamers or wasting relics on him

Honestly shocked you didn't mention the old WS/BS3 Scout gripe even though you KNOW everyone will just nod and let you have the improved stats. Same with the Techmarine. no one would tell a CSM player their Helbrute doesn't have 4 base attacks

Some of that list is valid, but plenty is there just to pad it out and have one last bitch before 8th

I wonder if people like this are secretly mad going into the new edition that they'll never get to bring up these 'Heres 50 reasons my army sucks!' lists. Probably.

>That's just how wargear options work it ain't perfect
that's such a stupid fucking response
>that's just the way things are, no use in changing it

>Ork Everything
As an Ork player, you're incorrect. Bottom tier gutter trash are
>Flash Gitz
>Kan/dreads
>Wazbomb
>Boyz
>Stormboyz

>Can BA tacticals buy close combat weapons
Nope, only the sergeant can take a melee weapons and pistols.

>>implying anyone ever takes techmarine
I would take one if I could give him the Mastercrafted Poisoned (2+) Bolter Flesh Tearers get for 10 points. It's pretty shit on anyone else since no one who can take it has Relentless. Might as well give it to the guy who isn't going to be charging and is instead going to be sitting in cover the whole game.

>Honestly shocked you didn't mention the old WS/BS3 Scout gripe even though you KNOW everyone will just nod and let you have the improved stats.
I just hate when I have to ask my opponent if I can make my army less shit because GW can't into balance. That said, BS/WS 3 never stopped me from running my scouts. They were still killy enough compared to the other Troops choices I never bothered asking to make them better.

>>Kan/dreads
>>Boyz
>>Stormboyz
This hurts. Those are some of my favorite ork units.

If I remember correctly the exarchs were sculpted a few years after the first release of the different new aspect units, and were just added to the boxes later.
So the exarch was painted at a different time than the rest of the unit, hence the slight difference in colors/painjob.

>But...why is she shaded and layered differently? Is it a common eldar thing to have the squad leader have a slightly different color scheme?

No, the exarchs (in most cases) were the same armor as the other aspect warriors, with a few small differences, such as the helmet color + a few extra upgrades and/or weapons.

My job here is done.

*wear the same

fuck me and my phone