/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm

>News
theonyxpath.com/now-available-cursed-necropolis-rio/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/when-will-bill-rage-monday-meeting-notes/

V5 info:
pastebin.com/pvAtApt1
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

>Question
Could a GTA-like video game be made for the World of Darkness?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NN5mQxX-Zd0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Question for magefags

Fuck, Marry, Kill: Vampire, Werewolf, Changeling

V20 Dark Ages Companion, anyone?

I could see it. Have the protagonist be a Sabbat shovelhead and set the game in a Camarilla-controlled city; you could even have the Deb of Night from Bloodlines make a return as one of the ingame radio stations.

Not enough has been released yet, but id bet most of the conflict comes from various anarch factions trying to fill the void left by the camarilla, dodging the Inquisition, and trying to figure out what the cammed are up to; they made it sound like the sabbat is sort being used for some ploy device in the middle east and in something of disarray elsewhere.

Which gives me an idea - a whole campaign based on whether or not the anarch co op that rules city X should accept ex-sabbat vamps, can they still do the vinculum, etc

Just started a Werewolf chronicle.
I'm having a HUGE amount of Perception exceptionals from my players.

Does anyone have a bunch of conditions that fit, or do I have to invent my own ones?

This does make for an interesting setting for Anarchs where bad boys are sorta out of the picture thou still lurking and burden of piceing vampire society together falls on Anarch shoulders

Yeah, it's weird no one posted it yet. I know the previous 2 books were put up online the same week when it went out to the backers.

Hey, gang. I'm starting a project with the intent of building a fictional city for VtM, WtA and MtAsc that builds off of established material. I don't have much so far but please take a look and tell me what you think.

crbynight.blogspot.com

Yeah, I think that's what they're going for - world's ending, and these ragtag fucks have just been tossed into an unwinnable situation and need to make themselves comfortable before it inevitably comes crashing down.

In that sense, I guess they captured the modern youth zeitgeist just as well as they did in the 80s.

Don't go down this path. It's much easier to look up a city and build in it's history.

I just found out the city I'm running my vamp game had the largest necropolis in the world as I was reading about it.

Fake cities always feel artificial. Lacking.

That's why I'm building it in around real ones.

Waiting as well.
To me Dark Ages is the best Vampire has to offer.

REAL THREAD

What the fuck are you doing, you retard?

shut up, magescum.

I sincerely hope you get banned, falseflagging shitter that you are.

Better wait for the magefags shitpost to come, amright?

Yes i think so, other than Mage (although, i can't imagine a Dreaming GTA would be very popular)

IMO, I like Revised best.

Considering the violent nature of it, you could definitely do one for Werewolf. Think Prototype or Ghost Recon Wildlands

Which source book had info on stuff like dragon's breath rounds or mustard gas? Armory or reloaded? And can it still work for 2e?

Do you people think new players should read the clanbooks and learn everything they can about the clan of their choice before play or do you think they should gradually learn things as they play?

>tfw vampfag has to make his own safe space

clanbooks are full of spoilers, so I would say no if they don't want to ruin the surprise.

Depends on if the character you build knows those things are not. Ideally the player both knows the books and isn't a faggot about metagaming things their character wouldn't know, really eases the burden on the ST.

Yeah. It's called "Don't shit on your players choice of where they focus their skills, you Adversarial twat."

How would you go about doing a Mage video game, though? Without doing a CYOA like Life is Strange, I mean.

>How would you go about doing a Mage video game, though?
youtube.com/watch?v=NN5mQxX-Zd0
>Virtual Adepts
This is an old trailer and they've added a bunch of shit, btw. For starters, they made it so that gross block.ly shit isn't necessary, and you can switch it to just being an in-game javascript editor iirc.

New Mage general thread.

Go here to discuss all mage related topics.

Fuck off.

Hello magefriends,
I am interested in your game (Awakening) but I have a question. WoD/CofD is supposed to be dark (it's in the name). What is Dark about Mage? Vampire is about the horror of being a monster, Werewolf is about the horror of constantly being under attack, Changeling has the PTSD, Promethean has the loneliness, etc. But as far as I can tell Mage is, while not light-hearted, not particularly dark either.

>He thinks WoD is about horror.

>WoD/CofD is supposed to be dark (it's in the name).
I think it's supposed to be the insignificance and futility of your struggle, despite having superpowers, but CofD is best played as dresden files or early season supernatural IMO.

>mage game
You control nonawakened detective discovering truth about one death that looked like coincedece. You find out it was actually impossible. You dig dipper and found not an answer but a teacher. After some time expanding you perception and mind limits you able to find new details on crime scene, track killer, its a mage, he twist some space in front of you, your mind snaps, titles go on abd you see awakening trip behind them.and if you wait long enouph you can see yourcharacter just after awakening, but no longer control him. He says to you that his Fate is no longer under your control

Imagine you saw a perfect world. Ideal. But you saw that through a window. First time in your life you look around and realise you in a shithole. Forever. You cant get out. You in a sealed cabin that sank in the see and every second it goes deeper. Sun, light, air is Above, you descending below. Mage is about finding out that everything is a lie.

There are several grim theme's running throughout mage.

Mage society is inherently hypocritical. For people who are obsessed with finding the true nature of reality mages really suck at being honest with each other. Truth and knowledge are currency for politcal manipulation and intricate economies of favors.

There is the inherent hubris of magic. Consider a game of Mage as a more ethical version of the stanford prison experiment. What would people do (NPC or PC) if they're given absolute power and privilege?

There is the sense of futility in being unable to enact any meaningful change on the world despite all your power. And the constant struggle to not devolve into a tinpot dictator in your struggle against your primary antagonists which are all but omnipotent.

Mage's horror is both cosmic and existential.

The truth isn't always reassuring and often has unfortunate implications. If you tried to show the people in your life these things it would go poorly.

I think a lot of the bombast and arrogance of mages is part of the effort to adjust to a world they're no longer entirely sure of anymore and a defensive reaction to the sheer scope of the universe they are now aware of.

And more viscerally, there's the "what have I done" moments when you fuck up with your magic or give in on your principles.

This goes for either game line.

Yeah, that was what I figured, a sleeper becoming awakened over the course of the game.

The entire game is one long mystery play of someone's awakening? That could actually work.

How do I stat a (un)living skeleton, /wodg/?

oWoD.

Five dots in Spooky, Three dots in stealth with a specialization (Inside Bodies)

However you like? The book tells you how strong you are with 3 or 4 dots in Strength.

You could however add some special bonuses. Like every slashing damage is halved like bashing with Vampires. Maybe give them Fortitude? And since it's a SKELETON not a ZOMBIE, maybe add the fear effect of Presence (2?) for everybody that sees it with a opposed Courage roll or something.
This ain't DnD, friend. You are the ST.

When was the last time you actually enjoyed the setting oWoD?

I'm yet to not enjoy it? At least it has a setting, not like the other abomination

It's a specially raised skeleton by a Demon (A Slayer) using 5 dots of Lore of Death. It said that it starts with 1 dots in every physical attribute and must roll to see if I can gain extra point to assign, I rolled and got 4 successes, but it doesn't speak about other things like skills. does it have "brawl?" because a 3 dice "menace" I guess is going to be really... Weak. Even for a mindless drone with a programmed task.

It has 10 health levels and it ignores wounds penalties, but the slashing reduction and fortitude reduction sounds really nice.

...The last time I ran a game?

Dude, I like oWoD so much I'm writing a free city setting for 20th edition here

Mein Gott. Someone is actually running Fallen?

Does anybody else watch nature documentaries to get ideas for crazy shit you can do with Life magic?

Talk to your ST about it. You could always argue that's as skilled as you are - you give it the talents and skills. Or you can argue that it gets talents/skills on the same level as the connected attribute, so whenever it rolls Attribute + Ability, you roll Attribute x2. Demon: The Fallen needs a rework/errata badly.

I am the ST.

And know you'll think: "Well then why are you even asking, do whatever you want"

Sure, but I wanted to create a balanced npc, that's all.

Go with dot 3 talents/skills for guards. 2 dot for trash mobs. 4 dots for better guards/bodyguards. 5 dots for the supa skeleton.

Simbly ebic :DDDD aapplause for you good sirb :DDDDDDDDDD

So nobody ever actually posted Rio, right?

Last time I played.

Which splat would work better for an 80s Yakuza game? Vampires seem good (blood brothers takes on a more literal meaning), but maybe Werewolves would work as well, for the pack dynamics?

Check out night horrors for mage.

>Marry
Werewolf
>Fuck
Changeling
>Kill
Vampire

Never in this thread. Maybe check out Seven chan to see if they have it?

What sort of feelings are you trying to bring out? Because both of those work, but have very different feelings.

If you're looking to run a game like that series I'd wait on trinity, maybe even adventure! if you're really patient

Will Immortals still work in CofD?

So I just got into all this world of darkness stuff and I figured this would be the best place to ask. How would I go about starting to learn Demon or Mummy? The lines really caught my eye but I have no idea what to do. After that how would I go about running it. There seems to be a lot with core books and side books and I'm a bit lost.

COFD answer, I don't play Old.

The two gamelines have a core book that covers their backstory, setting and mechanics. Mummy, being 1st Edition will also require both the New World of Darkness core book and the free God-Machine Chronicle errata - 1st ed splats were essentially expansion packs on a single core that told you how to play mortals, whereas 2nd Ed like Demon has the core roles built in.

Read the books and get to grips with the stuff, then if you want you can read other books for each gameline.

Maybe give Vampire a read too. Demon & Mummy are a bit weird in their mechanics, and Vampire can help give a foundation of what a "normal" game looks like as a point of comparison

So core book for demon and nwod core+god machine+mummy splat for mummy right? Would the older computer game vampire the masquerade bloodlines be any help on getting a feel that you mentioned?

There are two "settings"
oWoD and nWoD (Or CoD)

Every setting has its own splat and version of that splat that it may differ, and of course, a different system.

For oWoD you have Demon The Fallen (That I Suggest, as I master it) and Mummy The Resurrection.

For nWoD you have Demon the Descent (really cool) and Mummy the Curse.

To play a game of the older line you just need the core book, if you want to play a game of newer line you need the World of darkness manual plus the manual of the splat you would like to play.

Bloodlines is from Vampire the Masquerade, the oWoD counterpart of the vampire gameline.

Hmm, well i suppose the feeling I'd want to invoke is "greed", tempered by "loyalty". You're in the Yakuza for one reason or another, but mostly to get more power. But, you also can't be seen as betraying your bosses. If they need you to do something, you're expected to do it, but you're also expected to be trying to get yourself a place at the table.

It was half and half right up until the oracles. To my knowledge Gnosticism has nothing approaching people who reach true enlightenment and then turn back to guide others, where thats kind of one of the central focuses of dharmic faiths.

I'm from a 'dharmic' background and while I'm non practicing some of the fluff about archmages is very similar to stories my grandma would tell me about saints and stuff who gained massive supernatural power and boons from transcending.

I don't see why not.

The Oracles are a fable.
There is no evidence of their existence other than the Watchtowers, and some Seers allege that they were created by the Exarchs.

Even Archmasters cannot find them.

Vampire sounds good for that, since a big part of its theme is warring with your inner Beast and your vile, baser desires, and another is the relentless politicking of Kindred society.

Yeah they did, like 2 weeks ago or something, but I thought that someone would add it to the MEGA

Not that guy, butt I can't find a link to it; the only link someone posted was to DC.

Nah I distinctly remember someone posted it but since I wasn't interested I didn't download it but I'm sure some other user did; maybe he could share?

Talking oWoD
New is even more so. You have any idea where the word Bodhisattva comes from?

But that begs the question why do people awaken/ascend/attain archmastery at all? If the exarchs are truly unopposed why do they have agents that act for them at all? They can and probably do change reality at whim to a form they want.

Is there a good place to get some 2e mage homebrew? I'm mainly looking for Legacies, and I'm too lazy to try and homebrew/update one up myself.

I actually have a hypothesis about this.

The Oracles and Exarchs are fictional anthropomorphisms of the Watchtowers and Arcana themselves, respectively.

They don't "want" anything, it's just what the Archmasters devoted to them think they want. If you remember, archmasters can create ochemata themselves.

But this begs the question: if the Supernal is not a place, what is ascension really?

In Chronicles, to be clear. Not in Classic.

I still want the companion book

Onyx Path forums maybe?

...Are there actually people who don't?

But then where did the Abyss come from?

The Exarchs killed Ouroboros when they ascended and created the Abyss.

Personally, I headcanon the Abyss as being what happens when you kill supernal entities and concepts so this isn't as much of a problem but it applies to the standard interpretation.

Legacyfag here.
Been busy for a little bit, creating homebrew stuff.

Anyone got any Legacy update requests?

I am super-happy about this, thank you quite a bit!

Huh. Not to nitpick, but Clavicularius seems to be Spirit ruling in the 2e core book. Any particular reason you decided to make it mind ruling? Purely curious about the thought process behind that.

Because Clavs as written in 1e are all about Goetia, and those fall under the purview of Mind, and I have been trying to update 1e rather than predict what the devs want to do with the Legacies in 2e.
I would assume they're doing a moderate re-write of the Clavs, much as will be done with the Blank Badges.

But as they exist in 1e, they're all about that Mind.
With Spirit added as a conjunctive to permit them to do more "Spirit" kinds of stuff with them through their combined knowledge.

Ah, I was just curious because they actually showed up in the "other legacies" under spirit. Either way though, these seem pretty cool, thanks!

My answer - Abyss is what was left over from layers of the universe the fall destroyed.

The fall was different from what people think it was, exarchs and oracles being fabrications, but it still happened. There was a ladder to the supernal, but since the supernal is not a place, it didn't work and fucked everything.

The way I look at it when the exarchs ascended and kicked the supernal gods out they defined what reality is a countably infinite set of supernal symbols. But this also created an uncountably infinite set of symbols that can't be real and thus the Abyss in it's current incarnation was created. The gate sealing himself within the abyss was the only way the remaining exarchs could control the supernal he defined the undefinable. It would also mean he's potentially greater than the other exarchs combined.

Transhuman Engineers please

I also theorize that the pseudorealm that exists within the gauntlet is a fragment of what the world was before the fall. The death of papa woof destroyed what little remained of the time before.

Clavs are a Mastigos / Silver Ladder Legacy, so in 2e they have Spirit as their third Ruling Arcanum because they already *have* Mind. Although Mind is the optional Arcanum for their Attainments.

Remember: Mind lets you manipulate Goetia somewhat, but Spirit (or Death) lets you impose a Manifestation on them. Any goetic summoner who wants his creations to physically manifest has to have an Arcanum that does it.

Hidden Ministry of the Gate

>fictional anthropomorphisms of the Watchtowers and Arcana themselves
Don't those already exist for the arcana? The aeons or something

Of course there's always the idea from imperial mysteries that archmasters go to parallel universes every time they interact with the supernal.

Hey Dave hope you've been well. I got a question about goetic summons. As I understand it summoning a goetia from the Oneiros or whatever requires you being near a place of power like a hallow.

If you have the 'astral adept' merit can you skip that and use the merit ritual for summoning.

Any of the other tamers

Anyone looking for online players here? I really need to play VTM.

Is there a mechanical difference between using either spirit or death to manifest or is it mostly flavor?

Fair enough, I kinda just left them with Mind through because even though it's less optimal for a Mastigos Legacy than getting another Ruling Arcanum, they do get some utility out of it, and it makes more sense as the Primary Arcanum for a Goetic Legacy.

Is there a power or ritual which allows a vampire to command his children's ghouls?

Asking for a game.