The Death of Grimdark?

The recent developments in the lore of 40k are indicative of a huge tonal shift. The Imperium’s ignorant struggle has been the defining feature of the story since RT and while “advancing” the plot is probably something necessary to breathe new life into the game and community, I think we’re right to question the substance and implication of this new direction.
So far, things are what we might expect – the fluff is a little less internally consistent when told at this macro scale – and we are seeing things moving at the speed of “plot.” The biggest problem here in my opinion is the reintroduction of a bevy of characters that have had firsthand experience of the Imperium that was. It doesn’t help that it reinforces the self-inflicted meme of Spiritual Liege shit that has plagued us for a few editions now. Rouboute is back and he’s talking to the emperor. This itself doesn’t need to be frustrating.
The imperium is apparently more on the brink in this book than at any other point in the setting’s history. The Cicatrix Maledictum has apparently thrown a huge swathe of worlds into absolute turmoil and all-out war. There are gems of interesting content – the Blood Angels are suffering a similar fate to their Successors the Lamenters, their backs are truly against the wall. There is the potential of an Imperial Crusade into the Eye to reclaim the fragments of Cadian forces around the sector. But we also have the Super-Super Space Special Marines, who are beautiful models, yet clumsy and ham-fistedly shoved into the fluff with seemingly no deficit. It would be brave of GW to write these new soldiers in the shades of gray we’ve come to expect but I have my doubts that will be the case.
Ultimately I think we’re heading toward a noblebright future. This doesn’t have to be a bad thing – but it feels forced and that does feel bad.
What are your thoughts on this transition?

>The imperium is apparently more on the brink in this book than at any other point in the setting’s history. The Cicatrix Maledictum has apparently thrown a huge swathe of worlds into absolute turmoil and all-out war.
All Imperial worlds are touched by war now, but on the other hand the Imperium is more strongly united than it's ever been in the post-Primarchs era, a legend has been brought back to life to lead the Imperium (and he even talked with papa emprah), the Imperium is on a general offensive for the first time since the Horus Heresy, Chads have emerged to replace obsolete manlets, there is an "uneasy" friendship with the Eldar, and papa Smurf's crusade is winning everything.
I don't know if it'll go noblebright, but it's not grim darkness by any stretch right now despite the B-B-B-BUT MUH RIP OF TERROR narrative.
It sucks.

If anything, it won't become much more noblebright than how things were during GC. Boost to optimism sure, but you can't forget how bad Chaos, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau are starting to knock on the door.

>It sucks.
It does, but you can always find people who agree with you and enjoy oldhammer. Or you can stay here on Veeky Forums and partake in our new board sport of flinging ad hominems for not liking what you like.

>new board sport
>new
I think you're what's new here.

Yeah, the overt comfort with Xenos is also a pretty huge shift from what we've come to know and expect.

That's my issue right now however -- the new narrative seems to be minimizing the threat of other factions in exchange for Chaos holy war. Maybe this is just a natural sequelae of a setting where there are too many ominous threats to reality.

>our new board sport of flinging ad hominems for not liking what you like.
I thought the new board sport was making homosex jokes about Dark Angels.

That's been an on and off thing since people realized the Dark Angels name was a gay joke.

Building a narrative is like making music. You need Starts AND STOPS. The constant, un-moving plot of 40k has been like someone holding a single, droning note for decades. To keep things interesting, you need hopes to rise, so the fall will be all the more painful. I expect they will stop bringing back old characters, and get fresh perspective on events. You can keep a grimdark setting, and still have new events give small victories to the protagonists. Otherwise it's all just boring noise.

Do we have any sort of timeline yet? There seems to be an awful lot happening at once that should be spread out over years or decades. The galaxy is a large and uncoordinated place.

Also can you upgrade a regular marine into a primaris marine or are all their officers going to be midgets?

>wah wah wah
It's great. Grimdark gets boring after 30 years of it.

I gotta say, I pretty much disagree with everything you wrote. what the fuck even is noble bright? and how would 40k currently be described as that in any way shape or form? shit is completely fucked.

do you hate the primaris marines simply because the memes have taken control of your life? im genuinely curious.

If the lore sucks just ignore it OP and make your own stories with your models

WARHAMS IS NOT FOR NOBLEBRIGHT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hell itself is encroaching on mankind and they have no way to stop it, sure they got a demigod and are on the offensive now but its still as hopeless as ever.

Very well put. I think it's perfectly natural to have fears about where the setting is going, i personally am a little iffy on space marines becoming just another rung on the ladder of power levels, but the crux of it is that we don't see the big picture yet. We care about the setting, and gw has a history of fucking up, but there's no use wasting energy worrying yet. For now, i'm adopting a policy of cautious optimism

Was the GC really noblebright, though? I mean, I'm no expert on the lore, but it seems to me that the old Imperium was an ironic tragedy thanks to the Big E. It claimed to be an empire of logic and reason, but in the word bearers book, as well as the last church, we see a very different story: he doesn't use reason, he just uses force to make people follow his will. Basically, the point of the emperor is he creates this society that literally knows him only as "The Emperor", makes everyone accept his beliefs unconditionally using his supernatural powers, and then tries to tell them not to consider him a God. The great irony of his character is that he made the Imperium a theocracy more than anyone else. At least, thats how I interpret it, but again, I'm no expert on 40k lore, much less HH lore.

I think noble bright is a buzzword for grognards to convey the fact that they dont like something just because.

I feel the same way. The key changes are that:

>The Imperium is inventing new things (Primaris Marines)
Technological stagnation was a huge part of the grimdarkness, especially in its allusion to how we perceive the Dark Ages to have been.
>It has a capable ruler
This is what Guilliman's best at - it brings a level of hope that doesn't fit. It would have been more interested to bring back a primarch and put him in charge if he wasn't good at or interested in macro-level administration. Like Russ, or the Khan.
>They're working with the less-obviously-evil xenos
Another part of grimdark was the Imperium being self-destructive by refusing to work with potential allies due to its xenophobia. Now, some of the Eldar have always been a clear ally against Chaos, but the way the Necrons have been brought onto the same side really hurts them as bad guys. They used to be terrifying skeletons out of the Terminator movies, with death rays. They're a little too cuddly now.
>The ranks of the Astartes feel like they're growing in quantity and quality
Not very doom n' gloom, is it?

Now, 'north' of the Cicatrix everything really is grimdark, and I hope they'll manage that dichotomy well.

>Alpha Legion bows to Guilliman
>In contact with aeldari
>Possesses psyker-like abilities
>Controls Terra with an iron but fair fist
>Owns planets and fleets globally
>Direct descendant of the Emperor of Mankind
>Will bankroll the first human Webway (the first gateway will be built on Macragge)
>Owns 99% of geneseed editing research facilities on Mars
>First primaris in all likelihood will be ultramarines
>Said to have 215+ IQ, such intelligence in Milky Way has only existed amongst the Old Ones and Sensei
>Ancient eldar scriptures tell of a warrior with a flaming sword who will descend upon Terra and will bring an era of enlightenment and unprecedented technological progress with him
>Commands Mechanicus worlds around the galaxy
>You likely have a primaris behind you right now
>Guilliman is in direct communication with Vulkan and Jaghatai Khan, forwarding the will of the Emperor to Salamanders. Who do you think set up the return of the primarchs (second one in 1000 years) and arranged Khan's first visit to Imperial palace?
>He learned fluent tyranid in under a week
>Chapters entrust their geneseed reserves with the primarch. There’s no geneseed on Sanguinius, only on Konor.
>The primarch is about 10,000 years old, from the space-time reference point of the base human currently accepted by the Imperium.
>In reality, he is a timeless being, existing in all points of time and space from the big bang to the end of the universe. We don’t know his ultimate plans yet. We hope he's a benevolent being.

>makes everyone accept his beliefs unconditionally using his supernatural powers
That's the only part of your post that's really off - he achieves it, as you noted, through military might alone. The conquered aren't actually happy about it, but if you can rule over them for a few generations the problem goes away.

It was a brutal military dictatorship with Sisters of Silence swooping down to snatch children (and adults) if they had psychic powers, because that (and the forced atheism) was part of the Emperor's plan to reduce Chaos's access to humanity. Human societies that just want to be left alone are crushed, and alien civilizations (friendly or not) are killed without reason. It's not noblebright; sacrifices are too casually made even if they're somehow justified.

It's not fully grimdark either because there is still some rationality, hope, and invention in that setting; the point is to show how those get beaten out of the Imperial psyche.

This, and also he fact that most of the GC is literally made of genocide over genocide over genocide. The Emperor was absolutely convinced that he was right and that there could and would be no alternative to his methods, and only the grand objective of survival mattered. You either joined him or died, you weren't even allowed to question. Individual lives, even those of his "sons", were not to be considered as anything other than assets. The most useful of warriors could be marked for death overnight and exterminated. This, of course, caused daddy issues and ultimately undid everything he did, and made Chaos stronger than it has ever been.
HH books focus very closely on the Primarchs AFAIK, so you get a less depressing picture overall, but most of the events themselves are pure savagery and everyone starting from the Emperor acted like a bunch of crazies while claiming to bring enlightenment (which is just *tips fedora* made into ideology).

Thanks for the rundown. I now consider myself Guill-Pilled.

>Or you can stay here on Veeky Forums and partake in our new board sport of flinging ad hominems for not liking what you like.
>new board sport
>new
I spy something new and it definitely ain't sports-related.

I dislike it enough to quite the game. I won't bitch and moan, but I just don't have interest in the game any more.

Come to the Heresy!

Has Girlyman been in contact with the Emperor since coming back? Did he sort out all the administration problems Terra suffered?

>Has Girlyman been in contact with the Emperor since coming back?
As soon as he got to Terra he went straight to the Golden Throne iirc. He stayed in there two days and then came out holding the Emperor's own sword.

>Did he sort out all the administration problems Terra suffered?
I fear that, even for a Primarch, that is wholly impossible.

>Grimdark is dead
>implying this isn't what Imperium Nihilus is for
>implying we don't get BOTH Grimdark and Nobledark now

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

>All Imperial worlds are touched by war now
Even the comfy farming worlds on the very edge of the galaxy?

How come news has been spreading so fast then? Honestly, Terra should just archive all their old data and start fresh.

Apparently. GW promo material said something like "no world is now untouched by war!"

>no world is now untouched by war!

Technically that doesn't mean that all the worlds currently have a war going on.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they basically had all of them raising soldiers to go off and fight.

>How come news has been spreading so fast then?
It's a fucking Primarch returning, man. Having one of your God's holy Sons returning to the fold is a pretty god damn big thing. You best bet that's going to be the one bit of news that EVERYONE is going to spread around as soon as they hear it.

>Some far off, backwaters shit hole where a bunch of half wit farm boys are being shuttled into a recruitment jet
>A pair of old fucks sitting on a porch look on >"whats with all the kids being taken off"
>"Apparently wars going on, some big guy woke up back on Terra"
>"Big guy?"
>"Yeah, heard it was like, some feller named the Primary Robot Gila Monster"
>"Ah,so they're going to Terra to fight a robot lizard?"
>"Yeah,also apparently some eyeball in space too"
>"Wowsers,strange times were livin' in"

>Big guy

Its been a decade user, time to let go.

Never. You can't take Loss from me and you can't take baneposting.

>41st millenium
>Veeky Forums knows only of service and sacrifice to keep a dead meme alive

Baneposting is not a meme. It is an art.

Yeah, most likely every world throughout the Imperium is being pressed harder than usual to provide resources to the war effort.

>what the fuck even is noble bright?
Warcraft.

I had the idea that during the golden age, the first age of expansion of humankind in the galaxy, society was more democratic, let`s say, and they did coexist more or less peacefully with aliens, is during the crusade than they went fully xenophobic. That`s why they found so many aliens races in the crusades.
I am wrong?

I see posts like "good I'm glad everything fundamental to the setting is changing" and I really don't understand why people get into something that they apparently hate in the first place.

Why get into something if you hate what makes that thing that thing? This doesn't just apply to 40k, but why get into 40k if you hate what defined 40k?

>I am wrong?

Yes.

Humanity expanded into the stars and conquered them with armies of killer robots, then the Men of Iron rebelled and mankind was weakened, then the age of strife began and the alien began to prey on human worlds as the warp isolated them and turned psykers into portals to hell. The alien has always been hostile to humans, sure exceptions exist but the great majority of the galaxy is hostile and the reason why there are so many xenos is because humans were weak and didnt have the power to kill them in a galactic scale and could only defend themselves against their predations.

this was definitely in the top 2 baneposting moments

>better picture

To this day, the crash still still bothers me.

Anyone who seriously cares about the story of WH40k doesn't really get the setting to begin with. It is why cancerous "plot advancement" faggots are the worst sort of faggot. The plot doesn't advance because its just there to give you the proper frame of mind to have your heavy metal evil space knights fight against space Wehrmacht.

Not that I really care what they do with the setting, mind you, I only play Epic.

Just telling you why fundamental changes are retarded with a wargame setting. Its what gives you Age of Sigmar.

Too bad it's getting replaced by superhero cheese though.

Superheros are fucking gay.

>Its what gives you Age of Sigmar.
So, an incoherent mess of adjective-spam names that exist purely for maximum copyright?

Exactly what I was getting at. A fair chunk of Gathering Storm reads like it was written for ten-year-olds who go nuts over Saturday morning cartoons.

Pretty much. They destroyed a venerable and interesting setting in order to shill a soulless and uninteresting one filled with DO NOT STEAL factions such as IRONJAWZ(tm).

Not to beat a dead horse, WHFB was not a good game by the time it was discontinued. But the strength of WHFB was the setting, which is what they trashed. They could easily do the same with 40k.

According to the Q&A, existing Marines can apparently be upgraded into Primaris ones..

>Technological stagnation was a huge part of the grimdarkness, especially in its allusion to how we perceive the Dark Ages to have been.

It has been implied that everything to do with the Primaris Marines took part over the past 10,000 years.

>This is what Guilliman's best at - it brings a level of hope that doesn't fit. It would have been more interested to bring back a primarch and put him in charge if he wasn't good at or interested in macro-level administration. Like Russ, or the Khan.

Guilliman is one of the few ways for the Imperium to not just get rolled over. Russ would not have been more interesting since GW blatantly said that if he came back he'd just get mad at everything and go looking for things to kill until he died.

>Another part of grimdark was the Imperium being self-destructive by refusing to work with potential allies due to its xenophobia. Now, some of the Eldar have always been a clear ally against Chaos, but the way the Necrons have been brought onto the same side really hurts them as bad guys. They used to be terrifying skeletons out of the Terminator movies, with death rays. They're a little too cuddly now.

I've not seen anything to imply that friendly relations will continue with the Eldar or that they will exist with any of the factions beyond the Ynnari and Harlequins. Likewise I've seen nothing about the Necrons being allies.

The Necron change was for the better because before they were honestly boring despite how much people like to say they were terrifying. They probably stopped being so the moment you knew what their overall goals were. Old Necrons should have been like any of the various xenos that get name dropped, they never should have been an army.

>The ranks of the Astartes feel like they're growing in quantity and quality

They seem pretty decimated to me.

Make sure to take note that, though grimdark can be pulled off, it's incredibly hard.
GW hasn't been able to pull it off in like probably two or four editions. If it's a choice between a Byzantine-style Eastern Roman Empire and a venatorii cult Western Roman Empire, or a setting of badly-done grimdark beat half to death, I'll take the new lore. Everyone bitched at them, so they did it, and now they're bitching at them. Really, why does anyone do anything nowadays, considering how nothing they do ever lessens the tide of fuckers who can't ever be pleased.
God, I need to fucking go on Crusade now. Maybe some good medieval-style religious war will do me good.

>According to the Q&A, existing Marines can apparently be upgraded into Primaris ones..
In other words, they have a ready-made handwave for when they finally start phasing out normal Marines. Cool.

>who can't ever be pleased.
>GW hires shit game-designers, artists, designers and writters who ruinning GrimDark then trying to switch into Noblebright, which still looks ugly
>you fuckers just cannot ever be pleased!!!!!
Nice try Cevin

>Guilliman is one of the few ways for the Imperium to not just get rolled over. Russ would not have been more interesting since GW blatantly said that if he came back he'd just get mad at everything and go looking for things to kill until he died.
That's literally his point. Bringing back a legendary hero who is not a statesman and logistician and all that shit but has those expectations and the hopes of countless people that they can't possibly even begin to fulfil put on them is interesting and fits the futile struggle aspect of the setting better than SPIRITUAL LIEGE SAVES THE DAY.

Nigger do you know what CONTRAST is?

Yes, half of the galaxy is preparing to save the other half. The other half is fucked and darker than ever.

Why are 40kikes (let's be honest there's only LARPers here anyway) so retarded?

So in your dumbass brain, a galactic rift fucks up half the cosmos and Girlman is supposed to just say fuck it and take a nap? He's risking his life to help the empire. They need it. Don't count on them saving the day with no losses. This is the start of a new arc, you don't know where it ends.

>came out holding the Emperor's own sword.

"I wanted you to have this when you were well enough, but your brothers wouldn't allow it."

>Why are 40kikes (let's be honest there's only LARPers here anyway) so retarded?
The idea of 40k getting it's shit together is something that goes against what the manchildren want, so expect a lot of REEEEE.

It's a statement about how GW has hope now that a good manager has finally arrived. In case you didn't notice the "subtle implications."

Or more likely: "Yoink!"

No, the worst sort are the people who bought GW's halfassed handling of both 40k and Fantasy over the past so many years and seriously believe that is the way things are supposed to be. They actually believe stupid shit like having a setting that gradually advances over time turns it into a story. For fuck's sake, even Priestley's newest game has a gradually advancing setting and isn't sitting on its ass like some people want 40k to.

I have to imagine as well that some of the aforementioned people have such a problem with 40k advancing because they believe their headcanon is worth two shits and aren't mentally capable enough to either somehow reconcile their headcanon with what is going on or just ignore it like they may have been doing. Instead they come on the internet and screech that GW isn't catering to them.

>countless people

This is a likely exaggeration, again on the Q&A today they said that the average Imperial citizen either doesn't know Guilliman is back or doesn't even know who he is. Basically unless you're part of some higher echelon of Imperial command, a Chapter Master, live close to Terra, or live in Ultramar you probably don't know anything. Even the last two are just a guess at best.

Guilliman is basically one of the few, if only, ways that the Imperium basically doesn't get steamrolled by Abaddon and everything else sent up against it and if you want to do that you might else not do anything because you're just destroying a lot of shit and dangling the carrot that maybe in ten or fifteen years when GW gets off it's ass again you might have some kind of revenge in the lore.

I've been waiting 19 years for the story to finally progress.

19 motherfucking years. It's all good man, I've waited for too long anyway.

were we ever supposed to take grimdarkness very seriously?

wasnt this all just an excuse to have people in power armor yelling things and waving chainswords around like the cover of a heavy metal album?

as long as we have that, i dont think it really matters if things are progressing or not

Goofy space fantasy>Grimderp

The point is that the grimdark slowly turned into being a serious part of the lore and setting . Compare early RT with today's portrayals of the setting in games like Space Marine or DoW - shits grim and it's taken at face value. There is no black comedy to it either, people die and demons roam the universe only to kill more people. Its as bleak as you an get.

To have story progress by introducing Robby back into it s hit and miss in my opinion - it shakes things up and moves things ahead, but I think it sidelined the End Times hints, like failing Golden Throne. I'm not sold on Primaris Marines either, its simply a way to sell more figurines, but I don't see how well will they mesh with the existing lore.

>the story since RT and while “advancing” the plot is probably something necessary to breathe new life into the game and community
No. 40k is a setting, not a story. Advancing the plot is a shitty idea that gave us Age of Shiggydiiggymar instead of Warhammer Fantasy.

As soon as you decide that 40k is a story in itself rather than merely a setting in which stories take place, comes an inevitable point when something has to change. When one side wins and another loses. It's like if you were to take a WW2 wargame and 'advance the plot' - you can do that, but once you get past 1945 it's not a WW2 game anymore, Germany is divided and occupied so that eliminates that faction. Previous allies are now antagonistic, and one time enemies are joining forces, so the rules change to reflect this and people's armies become unsupported by the ruleset.

Given that Veeky Forums is still salty about the Squats and they were dropped like 20 years ago, so why are so many so keen to see it happen again?

>I have to imagine as well that some of the aforementioned people have such a problem with 40k advancing because they believe their headcanon is worth two shits and aren't mentally capable enough to either somehow reconcile their headcanon with what is going on or just ignore it like they may have been doing. Instead they come on the internet and screech that GW isn't catering to them.

"Ah, finally my 2000pt Squat army is complete"

>Squats don't exist any more man, they no longer have rules

"Oh, well, that's inconvenient. I guess I'll just run them as counts-as-Imperial Guard"

>Nope, user, your models are the wrong size, and are no longer deemed official. No games for you

>Compare early RT with today's portrayals of the setting in games like Space Marine or DoW - shits grim and it's taken at face value.

That kind of seemed to be the case for RT too. It being a little less subtle in its humor doesn't erase the fact that a lot of things written about various facets of the setting seem to have been done very seriously. I also think you over blow the lack of humor in the current editions, as I said it's just more subtle and not smacking you over the head with it.

Holy shit, I can't believe that you wrote:

>No. 40k is a setting, not a story.

And then in the same breath say

>As soon as you decide that 40k is a story in itself rather than merely a setting in which stories take place

It's absolutely fucking mind boggling that you can wrap your head around the concept of the latter and yet still think the former is actually a thing and that it is what 40k is becoming simply because GW decided to show the setting advancing on a more personal level.

If the End Times can be cursed for one thing it's giving birth to to people like you and Veeky Forums being dumb enough to let you live to spread your idiocy instead of smothering you in the crib.

The setting for 40k is advancing for the Gathering Storm GW decided to use various characters as the lenses through which events where seen. That doesn't main the main characters of 40k, it just makes them the main characters of their personal stories and possibly important characters within the setting of 40k itself.

The fact that there are so many people who vomit forth this setting or story shit makes me think that they haven't taken a look at any of the other major non-historical games on the market and how they're doing the same thing. Warmahordes, Infinity, Malifaux. They're all settings that are advancing and within which stories are told.

The Eldar Empire was the dominant Alien Hegemon when humanity was at its greatest territorial extent and was not hostile to humanity so that claim seems pretty untrue.

Orks are hostile to humanity, sure, but they're also hostile to every other alien race in the galaxy. Other than Orks the only indigenous race to the Galaxy which was a widespread threat to all other life were the Orks. Now humans are too.

GC wasn't noblebright. And the Emperor used one of the dumbest and oldest argument in history to justify themselves;

>No but you see I know better.
Its been going on since before Plato and its been known how impossible to actually argue in support of it since before then too. Emperor would have been better off not peddling ridiculously poor pseudo-philosophy to justify himself and stick to his guns; if you don't serve me you die. That's what his rulership style was.

>>But we also have the Super-Super Space Special Marines, who are beautiful models, yet clumsy and ham-fistedly shoved into the fluff with seemingly no deficit.
It's called "PRODUCT PLACEMENT" user, it is literally marketing 1.0. You need to sell new models to get moniez. Fluff? Noone cares just GIB TEH MONIEZ!

I think its part of the tragedy of Big E - he legitimately knew better, his powers allowed him to see all of it, but even he was limited by the fact that humans that he saw to protect will inevitably have their own ideas, as befits creatures with free will.

The reason why it ends up looking like every other example where people say "I know better than you" is because like you said, there are no tools to argue it successfully, and that is the big irony - even if you have the cosmic truth in your palm, you cannot make people forcibly see it, especially when you deliberately obscure part of it. Understanding never comes from a barrel of a gun and he essentially raced against time(and/or chaos) to put it all together before his chance slips away.

Squats aren't an equivalent because rules and models for armies aren't being taken away. If you've decided to them them in a certain way, sure it's going to be harder to adapt than it is for others, but it's up to you to either adapt in one way or another, even if it means ignoring the current lore or having your army stuck in a period of stasis.

GW never promised that what they wrote about the lore composition of armies would always stay the same. They never said that X will always retain the same position within their army and will never be promoted or killed, though admittedly the latter seems to be very rare unless you're a character like Kell.

Except he didn't know all. He made several colossal fuck-ups in his predictions and missed several major things people way weaker and younger than him spotted.

Honestly the depiction of the Emperor as 'I did everything right everything is everyon else's fault' is one of the things I dislike about a lot of Emperor-worship (I'm talking outside canon now).

Regardless, yeah, the sum of what you're saying is right, its an impossible argument to prove on logical and objective terms, so instead he just killed everyone who wouldn't surrender.

Its kinda like that old Thought Experiment; if incredibly advanced and powerful aliens land on earth and say, seeing as they are so much wiser and more advanced, they know better and should be allowed to rule earth and then will make everything better for us, should we simply accept this then based on the fact that they are more advanced and seemingly more intelligent?

>Except he didn't know all. He made several colossal fuck-ups in his predictions and missed several major things people way weaker and younger than him spotted.

Its hit and miss, depending which HH books you've read but I found quite few of them rather poor so I tend to steer clear of some things they state.

Isn't this the best time for Orks since there will be battles left and right and worse time for Tau since foul abominations will fuck them human aux so hard they'll shit more abomination?

Orks might enjoy now but they'll lose like bitches like they always do.

We don't know how Tau handle human Psykers. Don't think its ever been discussed so hard to know what will happen.

Lel, definitely can imagine that some planets are really out of the loop, but aren't primarchs often considered saints? I'm pretty sure Sanguinius' birthday or whatever - maybe it's his death anniversary - is an Imperial holiday when everyone enjoys festivities, I imagine most Imperial citizens have probably been told about the (loyalist, at least) primarchs as part of the official religious doctrine.

>40k is a setting, not a story

It can surely be both? Take a snapshot of the 40k story at your favourite moment in its timeline, and now you have a setting for your games.

>Its kinda like that old Thought Experiment

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think I'd find it easier to trust a human than an alien, though. I think we all would. The aliens might clearly be more advanced than us, but they might just be looking to eat or enslave us or forcibly mate with us to produce weird hybrid children without us putting up a fight. Personally, if a man appeared one day and he showed himself to be a) a wizard and b) intelligent beyond any other human's reckoning, I'd probably sign up to be a storm trooper for him.

Fucking Smurfs

There must be an If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Device episode about this.

>and papa Smurf's crusade is winning everything.

Only on the Terran side of the rift. We have no knowledge of how badly things are going on the Baal side, but I'd imagine that they're going VERY badly.

The background isn't music, it's a manuscript with only the last bar written. Players are supposed to make the rest of the rattle and hum. Complaining that a mostly-blank page is "boring" misses the point entirely.

Games Workshop has always been terrible at games. And work. And shops. Since the beginning, it's always been about the models and the players making the best of an increasingly scummy little company's cock-ups. tl;dr:

Narrative better.

Doesn't matter because Robust's crusade will reclaim whatever was lost there. We'll get some cheap thrills concerning Blood Angels but they'll survive.

And then what? Don't buy anything new, don't go anywhere else to play or talk to anyone about it?

They can't cross the Rift in force right now, m8. Roboute's crusade is solely on the Terran side.

It wasn't just eldar (though eldar were not kind to humans, they treat us like I evolved apes you know that right?) dozens, hundreds of alien races tormented mankind. Why do you think mankind developed titans? They sure as hell weren't using them with the friendly aliens.

By the time this is over the status quo is going to reset and everyone knows it. Robot Gigglymen is going to either die or 'disappear', whatever hopes the Eldar are wanking about now are going to be fucked but 'just out of reach' and Chaos is going to slink back screeching about how they'll get you next time and take over the universe like Galvatron at the end of G1. I want to be wrong and I hope I am but the reality of how GW handles these things is more than apparent how things will end.

Why would they retire the spiritual liege after giving him a brand new huge model and at least two years worth of campaigns dedicated to him?

You are saying it like if Status Quo is something bad.

Yeah, that'd be counter-productive.

Titans were developed for factional wars in Mars, against other humans or machines

It is time for the Emperor to go. The Galaxy needs to move on.