EDH/Commander General

Foil Edition

Previous Thread: →

NEWS

>Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
Best card you've packed?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/neheb-the-worthy-minotaur-tribal-edh/
youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/is-this-death-and-taxes/?cat=custom&sort=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>packed
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that

>Foil edition
It is finally my time to shine.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/neheb-the-worthy-minotaur-tribal-edh/

>Best card you've packed?
Assuming you mean opened as a pack foil, my answer would be a Memory Jar, many many years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI

this is your themesong now

You fool! Everyone knows Mindslicer is the best minotaur.

Would it be fun to play Grenzo, Havoc Raiser with lots of mana rocks and a small group slug/nonbasic hate/chaos subtheme?

Name a better card

>protip you can't

No.

I have an invocation hazoret, does that count as foil edition?

Here you go:

yo wtf

I used to think that land destruction had no place in casual EDH... But now I realize I had a warped view of casual EDH. I used to think that cards like Sheoldred, Jitte, Ulamog, a few God enchantment creatures, etc all had no place in casual EDH.
Nowadays I realize that these things are fine for casual EDH, but with that realization I've also realized that Land Destruction should be fine as well. The truth is that if someone is playing mono red they not only can't take care of powerful enchantments but they have very few ways to take out creatures with over 7 toughness or indestructible creatures. So are you going to tell me that they should either A) get very lucky or B) willingly lose the game because they have no options?
No, neither of those choices are acceptable. The truth is that land destruction is the most powerful tool in Red's arsenal, not using it puts mono red players at a supreme disadvantage. If you feel like you're allowed to use supremely strong creatures "because they can be removed" or supremely strong enchantments "because they can be removed" then I feel that I'm allowed to use supremely strong land destruction "because you can run mana rocks".
And just as you say "Well you should run more removal!" I say "Well you should run more mana rocks!" and then you can say "Well I do but they aren't in my hand right now!" and I reply WITH THE EXACT SAME SENTIMENT towards removal.
So at the end of the day I say this; If the point of casual edh is still to win, which it obviously is if you're running $20 powerful praetors, then I'm going to do what I can to win, which is to keep you from being able to play those praetors.

Well, shit

Fuck off with this pasta

>Best card you packed
In terms of playability or just best pull overall? In terms of playability I got damnation from a mm17 pack, overall would probably be a polluted delta expedition

Post your custom commander!

>UK humor

ick.

What?

>>UK humor
>ick.

superior monoblack commanderfu coming through

this was the only commander that was apparently so obnoxious that all the players in my group voted for me to stop playing him. now he resides in another reanimator deck, still producing groans when he enters the board

You're just mad cause all the boys like me more. Like, everyone knows you stuff your pockets to make your ass look bigger.

oops uploaded the wrong one

i actually made a serious attempt some time ago

here it is

Wasteland from ema, idc it has gone down since i cracked it. Shits dope.

Hey that doesn't look bad, I would argue for a bigger cost but it's kinda random and he's already 3BRR on low-ramp colors. Would definitely play that. Wish I knew how to work out doing custom cards on Forge to play those custom Commanders against the IA for fun.

What? I can't hear you.

How is he annoying as a commander?
When he dies he enters the command zone not the graveyard

i kinda agree that it gets kinda retarded with eldrazi and other ridiculous cmc fatties that do big things even with a single swing

maybe it should self-mill for like 7 cards, and then you could put 1 creature out of those cards into the battlefield? that would at least put a stop to emrakuls coming out on turn 3

You can choose his destination.

>Thread Question

I opened a "god pack" back in nyx as one of my first ten packs

well he's not broken overpowered, but he's a very simple deck to build and is pretty obnoxious in a casual meta. here's how the deck worked

>ramp up to 6 mana, answering threats if needed
>drop kokusho
>proceed to sac him and put him in the graveyardjust to reanimate it again with cheap reanimation shenanigans
>clear the board freely since you don't even care if your commander dies
>drop a mana doubler or two and oops you have a billion mana now, use strands of night or just your massive amounts of reanimation cards (thanks necropotence) to flip kokusho between the GY and the board as many times as you need to win

and also

>if kokusho gets exiled by GY hate, just put him in the command zone and recast him

the only thing that really truly disrupts a kokusho deck is a hard GY hate like Rest in Peace or winning the game with combo. it's pretty fucking hard to kill a kokusho player with just plain old damage because of the insane lifegain kokusho does. i have a dedicated orzhov lifegain deck now and it doesn't come even close to how much life kokusho shat out. my group didn't feel like investing in GY hate, and they couldn't really hate me out with burn or combat damage either, so they were really out of options when dealing with me.

>"why didn't you tell them to git gud and get GY hate"

to be honest i didn't want to go down that path either, the deck is awful to play when people really want to fuck you over with GY hate, i decided to just build something more versatile out of it instead

*first ten packs ever

>Thread question
Toss up between foil emrakul in p1p1 of my first EMN draft or foil scalding tarn p1p1 of my first and only MM3

>Best card you've packed?
I'm guessing that means "opened from a pack" so that would be the foil Tarmogoyf in future sight. Pity It's got no real place in EDH

OK /edhg/, I've made a new deck and am ready to sleeve it. Normally I go for dragon shields, but this deck requires a more... cancerous touch. I'm not cringey enough to go for the pony sleeves or resilient enough to reach for bullshit eye cancer that I couldn't stand to look at on an aesthetic level, though. So I ask you: random Anime Girl or non-MTG property art? also suggest/link GOOD art sleeves, for this purpose or general use

It's got a place as funding pretty much an entire deck.

Go for Neptunia sleeves.

Just got Jhoria in the mail. What are some good cards to cheat in that aren't Eldrazi

hive mind

Decree of Annihilation and Blightsteel

>Foil Edition

lol ok

Why?

Sell me one faggot.

This thread question is dumb.

What's the coolest foil you own? For me it's probably a foil pre-release Korlash or, my favorite foil ever, Hand of the Praetors. Only other notable ones are master biomancer and a foil Emmy from MM2. I also cracked a foil glorybringer and it looks fantastic.

When my brother quit playing he gave me his foil Invasion Hanna. It's honestly pretty ugly artwork, but it means a lot to me.

>My friend plays UW control. Spends the entire match countering my spells and boucing my creatures.
>I decide to switch to my mono red land destruction deck. He gets mad at me when he can't play any spells.

Like pottery.

I've opened a foil MM1 Tooth and Nail, and a foil Heretical Healer at the Origins prerelease. I've got a foil Agent of Bolas I really cherish, because it was given to me in exchange for a 3D token I made, and literally the first pack I ever opened had a foil Balefire Dragon, so that's kinda sentimental.

Bump

Who's your least favorite commander you've played and why is it Kiki-Jiki?

How shitty is my poorfag immitation of Death and Taxes? The idea was to slow everyone with removal, tax, and stax, then extort everyone to death.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/is-this-death-and-taxes/?cat=custom&sort=

Here's decklist feel free to make fun of it.

>Kiki-Jiki
Oh man, it's incredibly lame having half a combo engine limited to red in your command zone.

But, my least favorite commander was Ayli. It seemed fun to grind out a win with attrition, but it just turned into a combo reanimator deck because people are way too afraid of getting her online. You wind up wasting all your creatures sacing them for value, when all I really want to do is smash face.

I run mana tithe in my Sram deck. Am I cool yet?

Aurelia. I really really want to like her but it just doesn't work out

I just couldn't deal with the hate I got whenever he came out. I just want to clone big dumb Timmy shit but he'd get removed the second he came down.

It's not rare but I have a 2 Seventh edition Thorn Elementals I kept from my brother and I's starter packs. He doesn't play anymore so I kept it.

add 2 more colorless mana to the cost and add a servo and it's good.

can i have one? i want to become one with the frog

I used to run Kiki-jiki in my Feldon deck, and he's always degenerate.

>about to lose, one other player left
>use kiki-jiki to clone flamerush rider
>reanimate bane of bala ged with feldon
>swing with both flamerush riders, clone bala ged two additional times
>exile 6 lands with the attack trigger

I have a foil Sliver Overlord

How does /edhg/ feel about Trostani?

I really like the idea of populating Angel of Sanctions

Did something similar with the promo Rhox.

My friend has a Trostani deck. I hate it with the passion of 1000 dying stars.

It's fine though

Who the fuck is Bryan?

The most feared of all the Phyrexian praetors.

Brion Stoutarm.

Stop. It wasn't funny the first time, and it will never be funny again.

user got hated on in casual games by a guy named Bryan. He came here to bitch and said that when Bryan was deployed to Iraq and came to say bye to him he shut the door in his face. It quickly melded with the Praetors/MLD meme.

>>packed
Gross, anyways I pulled a Blood Crypt expedition back in bfz.

She's fun with Phyrexian Incubator.
But I've had an awful time getting Angel of Sanctions in the graveyard to embalm.

Only the Bane that was declared as an attacker would trigger the exile effect. The clones enter tapped and attacking, which doesnt cause the ability to trigger since at that point you have passed the "declare attackers" step

That's not even that good of a looking foil desu

Soul Foundry is an option

As is Pull From Eternity

I have a foil Karn, Silver Golem.

I remember someone posting these before a long while back

I'm usually not a fan of foils but i had to have this version of hanna plus the GP i was at nielsen was there and i got her to sign it

>enjoy playing control
>know that others do not enjoy playing against control
>don't want to ruin fun

I'm having trouble walking the line here. Too much and it's no fun, too little and my deck is just weak.

just do it, fuck everyone else

Go for a tax deck like Kambal. It feels good.

Huh, all sorts of stuff. I'm a random foil collector and work for a card shop, so I have a bunch of pretty things laying around, like a Scourge pack foil Form of the Dragon I just picked up for kicks. I've got a Crosis, the Purger Invasion pack foil that heads a deck and is fabulous. I've got a mostly-foiled Radha, Heir to Keld deck that's pretty pretty. Dunno what my favorite is though. Maybe that Crosis. Or the Timeshifted Nicol Bolas foil I have in the deck, that's a good one too. Or the Akroma, Angel of Fury Planar Chaos pack foil in Radha, that's a great foil too. Hard to pick just one.

I'd rather not grind people beneath my heel. It's not fun for me or them.

Now there's an idea. Control without locking people out but still reigning them in. I really like it

I almost never open packs ever because I don't like the gamble, but I've been playing a sealed league for fun and I pulled a Gideon of the Trials.

Breya, oloro at least pretends to have a magic game before he makes your deck worthless. Breya is just abusive as fuck and is the most powerful aspects of her colors crammed into the command zone. Free kill spells get old when the other option was killing everyine instanstly.

It's a nice kind of control where you yourself fly low on the radar but still bleed people over time. People tend not to be as weary of the guy who's just gaining a little and inflicting just as much. It's not as oppressive as something like stax or permission so it usually doesn't kill fun.

With Form of the Squirrel and Conspiracy (set to Saproling) and Life and Limb?

I never got how powerful she was when she was first revealed.

play seance, that populatung season, all the doublers and have fun. White green will result in a deck that does nothing forever until it just starts winning. Any deck that turns bullshit like terastadon into mld has merit.

I regret starting this meme. if you couldn't see it for the obvious bait it was I have no sympathy for you.

Telling someone to stop doing something stupid isn't taking the bait, taking the bait is when serra ascendant is a perfectly balanced card, and Iona is underrated.

Nobody really did. I had to stop when I put kci,a thoptersword combo, and an eldrazi displacer into the deck and it became nothing but ez wins. I won a game once because I played a turn 5 sfm which should be horse shit in anybody's book.

But user Iona is a highly underrated card, not like colorless removal exists. it legitimately was bait though I sometimes get to deep into shitposting I forget myself

That's a very pretty foil

I thought those were a myth... Holy shit

Best card I've ever pulled was this. I've been playing for years, packs are bad to me. The worst I've ever done was also quite recent. 3 packs of MM2 was $30,
I was shocked but wasn't about to look poor so I bought them. Serum Visions was the sole worthwhile card. What a wash.

How many years have you been playings, ive cracked over 1000$ in cards and ive been playing for 3 year.

I started back in og Innistrad and it's been a constant obsession since, so I suppose 6 solid years of intense play.

What was it about Innistrad that had so many new people starting up?