desuarchive.org/tg/search/text/"I have no idea what races to use."/type/op/
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/52264122/#52264122
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/52025780/#52025780
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/50858472/#50858472
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/50241925/#50241925
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/49600191/#49600191
youtube.com/watch?v=6zk0pniTntU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

See what races your players want to play as.

Use cute ones.

May your road lead you to warm sands

How many races is too many races? At what point does a beast person just become an intelligent monster?

Came here to post this. Beat me to it, you fucking shitcunt knobgobbler. nah youre alright, user, good taste

Humanity's ranks hold all the diversity you really need for PCs in a roleplaying game.

>قطة(cat)
Lel, would be better if it was بيسة

Humans. That's really all you need. If you have races besides human, they are the spice, not the main course. No, you do not need a special race of catfolk and a special race of mountain spirit people and a special race of boar faggot people, nor do you need kitsune or kender or honestly even elves or dwarves. Humans work fine. Think about real life where humans have staggering differences in culture to the point where we are barely even the same species but for the fact we can interbreed (keep in mind that it was Jews who defined what constitutes a species, it is a completely arbitrary definition otherwise, and means that elves and humans are technically the same "species"). Use humans. You don't even need elves and halflings and dwarves and orcs, but those are the next best ones to use. Gnomes are superfluous. Hobgoblins and goblins are pretty superfluous as well, as are kobolds. Kobolds and goblins fill the same niche, as do hobs and orcs. Eliminate them. Gnolls are good replacement for orcs anyway, fuck orcs. Have gnolls and orcs at war. Or bugbears and gnolls. that's really all you need though. Honestly elves are superfluous, you have have just dwarves and humans and orcs and gnolls and maybe hobbits. Or not even that. Cut it down even further. You can have other races too, but in small numbers, and don't let players play them. I am so sick of these fucking niggers who think they are allowed to play whatever they want in my campaigns. No, your shitty tengu is not allowed. No, your ratfolk is not allowed. No, your catfolk is not allowed. No, your tiefling is not allowed: that is a literal fucking demonspawn. Why the fuck would that be allowed in any campaign, let alone this one? No, you cannot play a drow. You will be shot on sight on the surface. Half these fuckers don't even read Drizz't so they have no excuse for wanting to play a drow, besides "lol it's different."

Just play a fucking human, goddamn. You are using race as crutch for lack of creativity.

> How many races is too many races?
Between 6 and 20.

At more than about 6 races you'll have a really hard time fitting them all in as cohesive parts of your setting with their own niches. But at more than 20 the place is so crowded that "The people in this village are gnomes" is enough gnomes that it feels like they're properly represented.

> At what point does a beast person just become an intelligent monster?
Depends on how woke your players are. The British Empire treated everyone else like monsters. If your players are really big on the social justice stuff, you might have a hard time making /any/ anthropomorphic thing feel like a monster. Obviously there are in-betweens.

I tend to make the distinction like... do they have a society, or are they just playing society like children play house? Could they all wander off into the forest and live as animals?

The 100M, the 1KM, and the 20KM.
Relays are for pussies.
Triathlons are okay.

That's a nice pasta.

>Could they all wander off into the forest and live as animals?

By that logic humans or really any species could be a beast race. Humans did, and sometimes still do, live in the wild just fine. It will suck some serious shit, but you can do it.

>At what point does a beast person just become an intelligent monster?
Perhaps I can answer your question with another question, or at least suggest another angle of attack on the problem: What makes humans NOT "intelligent monsters?"

That first letter is irritating. Is it a wow, a faa, a Qaf?

>everything longer than 2 sentences is pasta

Yeah, I mean without it sucking. Do they need society? Or is it just something they do out of habit or ritual?

>Elves. That's really all you need. If you have races besides elf, they are the spice, not the main course. No, you do not need a special race of catfolk and a special race of mountain spirit people and a special race of boar faggot people, nor do you need kitsune or kender or honestly even humans or dwarfs. Elves work fine. Think about fiction where elves have staggering differences in culture to the point where they are barely even the same species but for the fact they can interbreed (keep in mind that it was dwarfs who defined what constitutes a species, it is a completely arbitrary definition otherwise, and means that humans and elves are technically the same "species"). Use elves. You don't even need humans and halflings and dwarfs and orcs, but those are the next best ones to use. Gnomes are superfluous. Hobgoblins and goblins are pretty superfluous as well, as are kobolds. Kobolds and goblins fill the same niche, as do hobs and orcs. Eliminate them. Gnolls are good replacement for orcs anyway, fuck orcs. Have gnolls and orcs at war. Or bugbears and gnolls. that's really all you need though. Honestly humans are superfluous, you have have just dwarfs and elves and orcs and gnolls and maybe hobbits. Or not even that. Cut it down even further. You can have other races too, but in small numbers, and don't let players play them. I am so sick of these fucking drow who think they are allowed to play whatever they want in my campaigns. No, your shitty tengu is not allowed. No, your ratfolk is not allowed. No, your catfolk is not allowed. No, your tiefling is not allowed: that is a literal fucking demonspawn. Why the fuck would that be allowed in any campaign, let alone this one? No, you cannot play a nigger. You will be shot on sight on the surface. Half these fuckers don't even read Fred Douglass so they have no excuse for wanting to play a nigger, besides "lol it's different."
>Just play a fucking elf, goddamn. You are using race as crutch for lack of creativity.

It is a pasta now.

I'm keen to the idea of an insectoid society that lives around a gigantic tree. It's a caste society, and what determine your caste is every year or so, the eggs that are set into the tree are covered in sap and floated down the colony to where they eventually will belong to. This not only affects their position but also their physical characteristics (i.e. flys and worms are at the bottom, beetles, bees, wasps are the warrior class, a single matriarchal butterfly is at the top and acts as high priestess)

I've seen this thread a dozen times but I enjoy it immensely, so I'll post.

No-one gives two fucking kittenshits about your mary-sue !notCeltic elves, your lolsostronk !notPrussian dwarves, or your so versatile fucking normie Humans. No-one. Gives. Two. Fuck-ing. Kitten-shits. Got that? Great, here's what you need to do,

> GET.
> FUCKING.
> WEIRD.

The weirder, the stranger, the better! The more distant from humanity, the more incomprehensible, and fundamentally different from humanity, the better. And I don't mean fucking lolsoeldritch, I mean FUCKING WEIRD! See pic related? That is the very tip of the very highest top of the shallowest chunk of iceberg in the motherfucking arctic!

YOU WANT FUCKING COOL SHIT? YOU WANT PEOPLE TO REMEMBER YOUR FUCKING COOL SHIT SETTING? GET. FUCKING. WEIRD. IF IT GETS TO PEOPLE, PEOPLE REMEMBER, AND WHEN PEOPLE REMEMBER, THEY ARE INSPIRED!

THAT IS THE MOTHERFUCKING COOL SHIT! THAT IS HOW PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER YOUR MOTHERFUCKING COOL SHIT SETTING! GOT THAT? HOP TO IT FAGGOT!

>!notPrussian dwarves
what are these prussian dwarves? and where can I find them?

-proud warrior race
-aloof magic race
-metalworker race
-jack of all trades race
-mischevious tinkerer race (optional)

why is the cat arabic

Rather than just filling your world with what you consider to be stock races, or whatever you happen to think is cool, try to figure out which races fit the wold and the tone you have in mind.

Kill your darlings, as they say. Write down a list of all the races you want to include. Then go through it from top to bottom, and strike out anything on it that isn't absolutely necessary. Do this until you're sure you can't remove anything else, and then remove 20% of that just to make sure.

Khajiit has answers if you have coin.

This user has it right. Figure out what kind of world you want to make, look at the races you like, and see which ones can fit, and how they can fit.

Like, I got this post-apocalyptic fantasy world inspired by some of the shit I used to love in the 80s. So, its race-list looks like this:
* Humans & Pureblood Dwarves - The last of the Old Ones, the original masters of the world.
* Calibans, Forgeborn Dwarves, Shadar-kai - Mutant offshoots of the Old Ones.
* Drow - The last remnants of the elven invaders who blew the planet up.
* Kobolds - The degenerate remnants of the now-extinct dragons.
* Drakken - Kobold experiments at mutating/rebreeding themselves back into dragonhood.
* Fangwyrms - Mutant kobolds, an experiment that didn't quite work out.
* Orks - Dwarvish super-soldiers gone wrong who just want to enjoy being free.
* Gnomes - Crazy little geniuses whom nobody is sure of their origins.
* Aranea, Gnolls, Phanatons - New races that were created by the apocalypse.
* Slyvharri - Psycho-Oriental rabbitfolk wannabe-conquerors created as a revenge weapon by mad elven lich-wraiths.

I tried making a genetic abomination for a sci-fi setting, but i was drunk so it became cuter than intended.

They eat trash, flowers and whatever's not fast enough to get away.

Also they have a quirk for shiny things and tend to get obsessive over specific personal items

>I have no idea what races to use.
well for starters how about telling us what kind of setting you want to run, that will give us a good starting point(cause while I feel almost any race can be made to work with any setting with enough tweaking, some work better than others)

Whites, blacks, asians and jews
/thread

You need
Humans
Mimics
(Human) Zombies
(Human) Skeletons
(Any) Ghosts
Slimes
Dungeonborn
Golem
I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two but that seems about right.

All I know for sure is I want humans and sheep men. The problem is though if you put in sheep men you've got the 'mammalian furry' race down as well as the peaceful pastoral race, so it limits your options a bit.

Cat people for every possible breed

No one can live in the wild without it sucking. Animals in real life are riddled with parasites and disease, their wounds fester and get infected, and so on and so forth. For most of them, it's a mercy they only have a lifespan of about 10 years.

How about you give some examples you've used in your own games?

I'm gona give you the benefit of the doubt that you actually play RPG's and aren't just here to post your hot opinions

Ignore these faggots who keep telling you to be unimaginative little fuckups by sticking with humans or only using a tiny number of races since they lack intelligence or imagination. Pick a theme, and then use races that fit it. For instance, you could use the Chinese zodiac. It has twelve spots and so you have twelve races that are playable. So for instance you can use the literal interpretation of ratfolk in the place of the rat sign or instead use the personality of the sign instead and have it be gnomes.

For my world, I have a fuckton of races since I like worldbuilding and also because I just like throwing as much shit into it as possible.

Humans (this also counts all the various planetouched), dwarves, elves (like 10 varieties), halflings, gnomes, ratfolk, horsefolk/minotaurs (its a toss up right now), catfolk, dragonborn, kobolds, serpentfolk, lizardfolk, Kitsune (like 3 varieties), debating on wolffolk since I love Mystara's lupin, warforged (can't figure out type I want though, gearforged or wyrwright), gnolls, and I'm sure some other I've forgotten about but can't be arsed to pull up my notes. This of course doesn't cover the various intelligent monsters and monster people races like centaurs and such.

Now the important part about these aces is giving them culture, and a unique identity. Take for instance my gnolls, they are the creators of truenaming magic and its powers are closely tied into their creation myths and influences their culture. For example, they have two names, a secret hidden one only parents and mates know (their "true name") and an adult name they use among their peers and foreigners. To use one's true name in an oath is to give their most solemn assurance of following it.

Or take for instance my ratfolk, they are the descendents of crashed scientists and explorers from another star system. They value intelligence and knowledge even today, guided by their ancient AI gods.

>sheep men
>peaceful

Make them huge mountain-men who butt horns literally and figuratively with everyone around them, competitive and aggressive but loyal to a fault. Every 10 years the mountain steads rally for an olympic-style series of grueling contests.

>no injuns
shit game meng

Your brain might not know, but your heart does. Tell me Veeky Forums, what race does your heart say to use?

Lizard desert mercenaries.

Really tall dwarfs that are still midgety enough to be called dwarfs
Humans that survive solely on beer and are always drunk. No beer = death, also slightly higher alcohol tolerance. They can breathe fire too at the cost of beer.
A race of human sized crows that dress in long concealing robes. No one is sure what they actually look like or if they're even crows.
A race of walking juice boxes that spray acid on unsuspecting travelers.
Carnivorous plant people.

also remember to include miniature versions of everything posted so far

You just made cuddly goblins.

I'd probably play one. At least as a one-off

A cynocephali. Try to avoid furry shit though.

that's quite a smug fluffer

>being a furry

kekd

You, I like you, user.

Mood of the setting? How "high" is its fantasy part?
'Coz much depends on it.
Sad space robots who are running out of electricity and spare parts?
Half-ghosts like Kalashtar?
Animal people from all parts of the Animalia Kingdom (yes, even tapeworms)?
Slightly malicious non-moving mushrooms that have to be carried by zombie giant ants?
Sapient ants with feudal government and males being Knights of the Realm?

Gonna have a campaign soon where the only races available will be human, halfling, and maybe half-elf/half-orc as long as people don't go crazy.

The basic concept is that humanity is a very low-fantasy race in a VERY high-fantasy world. Very low percentage of humanity are casters, and most of them can probably find some elven blood in there somewhere.

Elves are truly immortal, and really fucking scary. If you go in their woods you'd better not be fucking around, because the standard assumption whenever you walk into the really old forests is that Elves are watching you, and if you piss them off you won't see them before they kill you. Half-elves are fairly numerous, but not as human-elf hybrids. They're their own subrace, a more Dragon Age and/or Witcher variety of shitty, impoverished elves. Smaller, more delicate humanoids with a slightly higher chance of being magic, and the true Elves actually hold them in even higher contempt that the average human.

Dwarves live so far beneath the surface most people don't think they exist, until a mine runs too deep, breaches a dwarven tunnel, and everyone in that village vanishes overnight. Curious travelers or officials may eventually find the caved in entrance of the mine, with a simple rune carved into the stone. A single dwarven character spoken as "Dross".

Half-orcs are all that's really left of the Orcs, for the most part. The Elves hunted them into extinction mostly because they thought they were delicious and half-orcs pretty much stay the fuck out of the woods for fear of the same treatment.

Halflings I'm keeping because I don't have the heart to cut the comfy bastards out of my setting. They're just, simple, pleasant folk, and it's hard to find anyone who isn't mustache twirlingly evil who has a real problem with them.

desuarchive.org/tg/search/text/"I have no idea what races to use."/type/op/
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/52264122/#52264122
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/52025780/#52025780
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/50858472/#50858472
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/50241925/#50241925
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/49600191/#49600191
YOU ARE NOT ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A SETTING, YOU LIAR.

reminder that you are only a furry if you
>have a fursona
>participate in the furry community as a an integrated member
>have the desire to actualy be some kind of animal

It's only furry if the fursuits touch

You mean old Prussian? Old Baltic names sound like they really fit dwarves now that I think about it.

Just don't make races that railroad characters into specific roles.

>I have no idea what races to use.
Humans only then. Don't feel obligated to use other races, and never have races for the sake of having races.

Intelligent pig men

this.

give them tendencies regarding instincts and temper, but have a range of differences similar to humans

I stick to (number of players)+2 races or race analogues. It's a solid number that gives the players options but doesn't waste the GM's time making a bunch of stuff that won't get used, leaving them with more time to flesh out said races plus locales, individual NPCs, and adventures.

Muslims, Christians, and pagans should cover all your needs.

Humans.

can i use buddhist or taoists from 3rd party books?

Don't start with the races. Think on their origin first.
>Were they created by gods?
>where are those gods now?
>How has this effected their ethos?
>How has this effected their relationship with other races?
As soon as you begin to stretch to answer these then you are done. I found that humans with different ethnicities worked better in my setting than a bunch of races.

Potato people.

No.

Crab People

youtube.com/watch?v=6zk0pniTntU

>created by gods

>Were they created by gods
>Were
Reading comprehension

>Good world design is one that is utterly original and in no way plays on the expectations and established norms of the medium.

It's literally what you posted in another thread but with the first part moved to the end. Shut the fuck up and get over the fact that people like different things than you.

Limit yourself. 3 or 4 races is enough (you can always have NPCs talk about other races beyong the moutnains/oceans or something to make the world seem more diverse without losing the focus on a few races/cultures that will make the game more immersive)

Maybe go the D&D/Final Frontier/Vampire: The Masquerade way and have races that are basically stats/skills bonuses fleshed out. Or go with geological setting.

A forest theme race. A mountain race, etc.

I think you should make the setting (the the whole world, just the part of it you'll have your players live in) first and then see what kind of races would make sense.

Just remember that weird non-humanoid and/or obscure language speaking races could make communication and adventuring harder and you may need experienced roleplayers to pull that off.

Pig orcs best orcs.

Fucking hell, you made the Paksenarrion setting all over again. I thought the nightmares were over. Noooooo!

Paksenarrion??

I'm quite partial to Ogres myself.

In one campaign, I had an entire species of barely sentient jellies that had linked together to form an unthinkably powerful biological quantum supercomputer, allowing them to predict the future, intuitively know the past, and read the thoughts of the party. Their motivation? Find a way to reverse time and travel backward to the previous reality, which had much more hospitable laws of physics. The party defeated them by convincing the jellies that reality was actually a dream and that it would be a much better use of their power to find a way to awaken from the dream.

Your party saved reality by converting some Jelly to Buddhism? That's neat

cute, I guess?

Elanaeds

Synthetic humanoids created by unspeakable beings, Elanaeds struggle every day just to understand simple things such as emotion and hunger from the moment they awaken. They are aberrations in nature, with a physiology that is unexplainable and a psyche that defies inspections. At a glance they are passably human, but all of them manifest signs of being... Wrong.

A typical Elanaed will awaken as a fully grown adult with very little help from the elanaed who made him. If any help is given it is usually just a simple letter or perhaps some gear to defend themselves with. This has become the way of life for them, as a "newborn" quickly finds himself capable of odd psionic abilities such as sustaining themselves for days without food or water or prophetic visions, and "parents" don't want to stick around in case things go poorly.

The true reason for their existence is a mystery. All Elanaeds eventually have visions or dreams of some eldritch and unspeakable being that whispers to them. Though never outright orders, they are often as compelling as they are enigmatic. Some are simple, such as being asked to spill some wine at a certain crossroads, while others are complex as reciting paragraphs in an unknown tongue to a group of strangers on a specific day. Those who refuse these suggestions find that reality starts to fight against them in subtle ways.

List of tells

Lacks a tongue.

Blood always forms geometric patternS.

Skin that is always moving.

Every word sounds like it was taken from someone else's sentence.

Obsessed with the stars and believes them to be sentient beings who are apparently being constantly tortured.

Limbs are proportionate but the joints are a few inches off.

Body moves as If "skipping frames".

All senses are swapped like synesthesia. Smell colors, hear tastes, see sound. Feel scents. does not seem to impede them.

Sense of and impact of temperature is reversed

Futanari

I'd fuck it user

TL;DR

LIZARDMEN

Sentient race of griffons, but they're smaller than the usual type and also they can be any combination of a bird and a mammal.

Convince into putting lizardmen in my campaign.

Word of Person Seeking Wisdom: I do not know what to do.

Word of Useless Flapping Cunt: Try not, for I find it unappealing yet am unable to use my own words to express displeasure.

Veeky Forums counts many Useless Flapping Cunts among their number. Seek not their wisdom for the Cunt is a mouth that speaks no wisdom.

This is the wisdom of the strange furred-crab people that dwell on the great southern isle of Cuntrapondia.

Don't be generic. And don't do furry shit.

For example, instead of cat people, have a race of sentient cats.

kek