Could Nids put up a fight?

Would they be used by these other organisms as vessels to use or would the Nids evolve and become immune to that shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

villains.wikia.com/wiki/The_Ancient_Enemy
youtube.com/watch?v=JPTbuuJkY5k
m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoONl2P8fw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Or would they be constantly sharpening themselves against the others, making it fucking terrible for everyone else?

So like it combats them constantly to become deadlier? Because don't needs evolve to meet their current threat? They could hurt themselves by adapting to fighting these guys only to catch a bolter to the chest later on in kife and be completely destroyed by it.

>Flood
I believe they would be pretty evenly matched at first but ultimatly the Nids would lose since the Flood are far more resilient and can assimilate other lifeforms much more quickly.

>The Thing
Nids would probably lose a few units before realizing something was wrong and destroying the Thing.

>Top Left
Isn't that just another Tyranid?

>Bottom Left
What's this supposed to be?

Well, the Flood goes down to being a virus or a virus like life form. I think the smallest unit of life Tyranids go to is single cells, though they have some viruses. So I think the Flood is able to infect Tyranids and that doesn't shake out well for anyone.

We don't really know how the Thing works, other than it can perfectly mimick down the cellular level and has semi-controlled growth. I'd give it to the thing, because it seems virulent enough that it could infect an entire hiveship pretty quickly if it got into contact. Though if the tyranids discovered it it's lights out.

Wouldn't what happens to The Thing also apply to The Flood though? What would stop the Nids from eating Flood infected organisms?
Yeah top left was to include them in the pic
Bottom left is The Ancient Enemy, from "Phantoms"

Isn't The Flood just a fungal infection from hell?

>The Thing
Would probably we be able to beat it mostly since, if The Things is to be trusted (Which I remember hearing it is over the newer movies)it doesn't have much experience actually fighting.

>Bottom Left
No clue.

>Flood
Tyranids have no chance in Hell if we're using the strongest iteration of Flood, who almost casually walked over the Forerunners. Flood also have better vectors of invasion, and are known for turning a faction's own weapons against them. Integrated biological weaponry should be a peace of cake for them.

Yeah, but it's slightly more complicated than that. It hijacks it's a host bodies cells, rather than actually destroying them and making new ones out of the material, at least initially.

I guess that would give it an edge
The Nids would basically be in a race to fight their own hive fleet
What book did The Flood do this in?

Nah, Flood wreaks havoc on host cells too. Rapid necrosis followed by internal rearrangement, so the Infection Form fits better in the chest cavity. Generally most hosts we see (Brutes, Elites, Humans) are already well suited for housing the IF, and little damage will be done, but smaller creatures like Grunts and Jackals are used to create more Carrier Forms.

It was over the span of a few, I know the big name one is Silentium. The Flood basicallt show up with Precursor (Pre-Forerunner Uberfaction) tech integrated into their forces, and start stomping left and right.

>Precursor (Pre-Forerunner Uberfaction) tech integrated into their forces, and start stomping left and right
Do they operate like the hive fleets where the gravemind has separate forces? Why not keep the precursor tech?

Don't know if the Tyranids can do this but the Flood are able to take over inorganic structures like space stations extremely quickly.

They assimilated a massive alien space habitat in the span of a few weeks.

>Do they operate like the hive fleets where the gravemind has separate forces?
There's multiple Graveminds, I think.Not entirely sure, been awhile since I read up.

>Why not keep the precursor tech?
The Flood dealt with in 'Modern' Halo are a fraction of a fraction of what there was. The rest died off, with very few pockets remaining.

>I believe they would be pretty evenly matched at first but ultimatly the Nids would lose since the Flood are far more resilient and can assimilate other lifeforms much more quickly.

Nids just eat the flood, also graveminds are a form of meme at this point theyre so inflated beyond anything the actually accomplished.

The nids assimilate biological weapons meant to wipe out planets, and ones specifically meant to wipe them out.

They eat every other contender.

Nids would probably be able to detect the Thing via hivemind.

I feel like the nids would very quickly adapt their organisms to resist the flood, eventually leading to the flood being consumed. But the first few encounters would be very interesting.

I don't know how the thing works so Idk, although the hive mind would surely be able to detect any kind of mimicry.

Idk what the other thing is.

The 'Nids are pretty slow at adapting, comparatively.

villains.wikia.com/wiki/The_Ancient_Enemy
Think of The Blob only extremely smart and with psychic powers

'nids do manage to do things like steal the entire ocean inside of a few months though so I'm going to give them a tie on the terrain corruption front.

It'd certainly be messy.

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo.
youtube.com/watch?v=JPTbuuJkY5k

The thing is from the C'thulu universe, so they propbably eventually kill it but that is literally the least of their problems.

The Ancient Enemy is more lovecraftian than The Thing m8
He really was, no one I've talked to has even heard of that movie, I fucking love it.

M8, the nids took on Nurgle's rot and won.
The flood ain't got shit on them.

Chaos is cute but Azahoth it is not.

Sorry, just making a really obscure Kevin Smith reference (though I totally believe it). Did like the book, though.

Chaos gods are made from mortal emotion, Lovecraft pantheon says the universe says the Elder gods dreams made everything.

Lovecraft has the Descarte "unmoved mover" true god intonation.

Technically the Chaos gods aren't even big "G".

SHOO! SHOO!

yeah they'd probably fuck all four of them up

Hey, hey, not fair! We're talking about monsters here, you can't just have a Progenitor Race that *makes* monsters showing up!

>Hey, hey, not fair! We're talking about monsters here, you can't just have a Progenitor Race that *makes* monsters showing up!
Technically that's what the Flood is, dried Progenitor flakes gone bad...

GET OUT OF MY YARD THEN, AHHHH

>or would the Nids evolve and become immune to that shit?
They pretty much already are. Tyranids are basically immune to disease, parasitism or infection of any kind because they're already stuffed with cocktails of highly aggressive tyrannic microbes, parasites and symbiote organisms whose only purpose is to go FUCK OFF WE'RE FULL when anything invasive tries to get in. Their blood is swimming with Phage Cells which are the last word in microbiological warfare - they are to other hostile microbes and viruses what a space marine is to an unarmed toddler, and function as the Tyranids digestive system but distributed throughout the entire body instead of just being in the stomach. In other words, if you get under a Tyranids skin, ITS eating YOU.

A flood spore would try to infect a Tyranid and then go fuck wait fuckfucKFUCKFUCKFU- as it realizes it just fed itself to its would-be victim and is eaten alive.

I recognize the thing and the flood which are formidable opponents, but what's the picture with the group of people supposed to represent?

Read the thread next time bud
The Ancient Enemy
Shit has been posted like 3 times

Nids would win against the Flood easily. The Nids are very skilled at taking on fellow organic hiveminds. The only way you can "fight fire with fire" involving the Nids is by using some kind of magic to enhance your hivemind shite, like how Chaos infects Nids.

Ancient Enemy is the same story, the Nids have probably consumed hundreds, thousands if not millions of these alien hiveminds throughout their trek across the galaxy.

The Thing however, now that's something else. The Thing is rather unique, in that it's like some kind of cellular, almost molecular hivemind.

The Thing would give the Nids a run for their money for sure. I don't know who'd win.

>The Thing is rather unique, in that it's like some kind of cellular, almost molecular hivemind.
So are nids, see The ones you see on the tabletop aren't the only Tyranids. They have Tyranid plants, Tyranid viruses, Tyranid bacterium, Tyranid everything, all symbiotically linked and working together under one mind.

Have you even seen The Thing?

The Thing is unique since it is a cellular hivemind that can force the infected to do things without the infected even knowing it is infected.

That's really not far off from Genestealer infection. And it wouldn't work on Tyranids due to aforementioned Phage Cells and co

>can force the infected to do things without the infected even knowing it is infected.
Source on this
For some reason I'm remembering Carpenter saying once you get the Thing Aids you're basically dead and the thing is running the show

As I recall, the idea of micro infections was an idea proposed by Blair that probably wasn't entirely accurate, since all the assimilations we see are highly violent, and if it could infect people easily and stealthily it had no reason not to do so.
People generally assume that the immune system is capable of fighting it off in tiny doses, or the infection is slow enough that we ever saw anyone fall to it

>Nid vs Flood
To keep it simple it will be a Human Flood World.

Infiltrator Wave will encounter difficulties as Genestealers won't be able to infect, while Lictors unable to extract proper info on the enemy that is not about static defenses & vehicles. The Flood will similarly be unable to glean info on the Nids themselves but probably enough to know they're coming, so it becomes a race to deal with defenses, with the edge for Nids atm.

First Wave will also be an intense time for both sides as Nids will do their gaunt swarm with Warriors, while the Flood brings their force to bear. Gaunts & Warriors would be swift to deal with those that become infected, but a little slow by infected Warriors/Genestealers & reviving the fallen that has not been completedly Nom/Dakka'd. Larger forms also come into play later but with similar results (an Infected Carnifex would be scary)
However Nids would be smart enough to get a FOB up thanks to the Infiltrators.
Still though Flood has an Edge with being able to disrupt synapse and revive the fallen.

Late Engagements is the most difficult for the Flood, as if they do not stop the Nids' continuous food frenzy or if they do not disrupt synapse well enough, the Flood risks being overrun.

>TLDR
While Nids brings an edge to almost all 3 stages of a fight, Flood have the advantage of infecting/disrupting Nids and synapse and would boil down to how well the Flood will be able to use the infected nids (those that they even manage to infect and survive the first engagement) and other tools available

Fuck off. The Flood are dumb fungi zombies. They were hardly a threat in Halo, and they certainly won't be in 40k.

I mean, the Flood was defeated by a fucking guy in near-Future iPod power armour and a space M4.

The Tyranids routinely fight and win against guys in far-Future space-tank power armour carrying rocket-machine guns.

Nids adapted to nugels rot and lifeeater virus. That means it can adapt very fast.

Nid are a poor mans Aliens, they fail in all ways.

Have two
(You)

But it's true.

>poor mans Aliens
>fail

No, it's the post-Alien xenomorphs that fail. An army of around 200 adult xenomorphs can't kill one spaceship full of Marines? What the fuck?

In Alien, a JUVENILE xenomorph of hardly a day old almost managed to kill off an entire mining station.

FUCK I HATE JAMES CAMERON SO FUCKING MUCH I HATE HIM I HATE HIM I HATE HIM!

>nids
>getting infected
Smug Tyranid and crying Nurgle.jpg

Aliens was much better than Alien.

I wonder how much of that is just Nurgle getting gimped by his own Chaos portfolio.

Nurgle's plagues often end up ineffective against Tyranids. But the Techno-Chaos virus thingie that turn people in TETSUO-IRON-MAN-GIGER machine-flesh tumour monsters works just fine on Tyranids.

But those tech viruses are a wee bit too much from Tzeentch's portfolio so Nurgle won't use it.

They all died, minus some petri dishes some random saved.

That's what the HALO rings are for. They wipe out all sapient life in the galaxy, starving the Flood to death.

ah I forgot to mention that it was going to be recently splintered Hive-ship to hypothesize how a roughly equal force of the two would do against each other.
Otherwise it'll just be a ROFL-Stomp on the Flood, and even with a single Hive-ship it's still pretty close to a RoFL-stomp on the Flood as I doubt the Flood can get too close to a Higher Synapse creature without being drop in or ambushing them (the latter being unlikely as the nids would usually flood every hole with smaller nids prior to the H.Synapse creatures come to the front).

Also the Flood is still at a generally disadvantage as they would general need to use looted weapons to deal some damage to the Nids's frontline.

You're a fucking retard, and here's your (you) you uncultured savage monkey.

Tyranids develop plasma burn syndrome like srgt. Johnson. Become immune to flood control and use tyrannic phage organisms to devour the flood with ease

Alien was a monster hunting terrified miners that had no way of combating it, in an area that aided the xenomorph in every way.
Even The marines got assraped when they first went in, and later only survived as long as they did because their location favoured them.

Did you know that Aliens is actually rated higher than Alien on RottenTomatoes?

Also I realized that the Flood may need to infect the Nid's weapons separately as it's a also a separate. The Exocrine being the primary example

also a separate organism*

>rottentomatoes
>implying plebs know their kino

The biggest weakness is that the flood needs a nerve network to infect things.

It's entirely ineffective against the Tyranids phage warfare.

>ALIEN

Fucking, I DO NOT WANT TO SEE ALIEN 1 3 TIMES.

I WANT TO SEE ALIENS 2.0, FUCKING LOTS OF THEM IN A SPACE OPERA WAR ACROSS A PLANETSCAPE, FUCK SAKES HOLLYWOOD

>implying your opinion matters any more than a single one of theirs
AvP 2 was the best of the AvP game series.

The Thing in the story is both telepathic and also incredibly intelligent - it built a cold-fusion reactor and null-gravity drive with equipment found in an American research station in the 80's.

It is INCREDIBLY virulent, and takes only and hour or so to entirely overtake a human sized organism. All it needs to do is infect a feeding station/pit and it will spread like wildfire.

If anything, the Nids are an example of an organism that may have evolved in a similar pattern to the Thing.

Incidentally, Blair infected himself by touching the eraser of his pencil to the 'dead' thing and touching it to his lip. He was infected and taken over mere hours later, and no one realized it through the rest of the movie. Other parts of the Thing distracted everyone while he built his escape ship.

The Thing is hideously dangerous because even the small parts are intelligent.

>The Thing is hideously dangerous because even the small parts are intelligent.
This.
The Bennings scene showcased why the thing is more than the average monster that happened to be smart, like the xenomorph.
It could have changed and attacked, but instead it chose to spread terror and paranoia. In one scene, we found out that it has sapience, is capable of abstract thought, and can use that as a weapon in order to allow other parts of it to survive.
It's probably among the top 3 scenes, alongside Mac realising he's truly alone.

>is both telepathic and also incredibly intelligent

If that is the case, wouldn't the fire blood test not work since it could say "Hey, you cells are going to have to stay still so we can sell this."

It's the same as Terminator user, all we wanted was a terminator film set in those cities of ash and skulls and endless fighting. What we get was time travel x 5? or was it 6.

>Flood
Depends on what level theyre at, Nids are basic bio-wizardy in a lot of ways, they can fight off any known infection in a matter of hours even from gods of disease and plague. They likely cant be infected by flood and even if they could they would be killed instantly while mutating. Planetary levels of flood, the nids would win, even solar systems. However once the flood reach the point where they can infect machines with logic and infect space and time, nids get stomped

>The thing
Nids win this pretty easily, being synaptically linked they would know when one creature shuts off from the rest, however they likely can fight off the thing infection or at least slow it. Nids win with ease.

>Swarmlord
Well he is a nid

>Bottom left
What are they?

>The biggest weakness is that the flood needs a nerve network to infect things.
but being living creatures do they not have a nervous system and a brain to control said system?
because non-synapse creatures (excluding Lictors and Genestealers) can go feral (if separated from synapse) and act on their own instinct, the Zoanthropes are just giant floating brains in the physical sense.

also while the nids could quickly adapt to the Flood. couldn't the Tyranids also simply use Acid Blood early on, or are Parasites unaffected by acid? because I sure that the basic nid isn't immue to a rocket to the face

>phage warfare
I'm more familiar with their solid projectiles and less on their biological warfare..

>Not wanting to see alien 3 times
At what point in your life did you realise you were a disgusting pleb?

Hardly?
This sorta, Alien made the creature seem malicious, devious, smart, and dangerous

Since then the alien has kinda been played down, heck in the new film 2 xenomorphs kill a total of 3 people before dying off. That and their reproduction relies on other hosts. Tyranids consume entire galaxies, xenomorphs have yet to conquer a planet

They're different movies, and hard to compare.
Alien is a brilliant horror film.
Aliens is a great action film.

The big problem with Aliens is it ruins the xenomorph for anything else, as we know it's capabilities after that.

No matter how smart you are, you still feel pain.

Alien, Alien Covenant and Prometheus are the same movies.

That is a subject brought up in a comic book; the pain test doesn't work if the cells are attached to a larger, more stable version of the thing.

Depends - something people forget is that the Thing can utilize the organic components of anything that it has been at any point in it's past - even if the particular piece of the Thing in question has never been part of something in it's own past. That means, if the synaptic net is biologically based, the Thing can become part of it, and then you have an even more horrific version of Nids emerging as it subsumes them all and they become a collective of infinitely adaptable units that can merge, separate, and even further mutate to suit whatever situation. Worse, if you take the Thing as described by the book, it not only assumes the intellect of the things it is mimicking, but also is telepathic, meaning it can insert itself into the synaptic net just fine.

If anything, you would have to be worried about the nids not WANTING to fight it off.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoONl2P8fw
This feels appropriate

>This is a Tyranids v. Flood thread now
So out of plain curiosity, in a Flood v. Thing match-up, which organism infects the other? I would imagine the thing would infect the flood infector organism, but I can't be sure.
>Tyranids win
Why? Because they are the most numerous and capable species on this list by far, since it is stated they have consumed other galaxies before.
Keked

Tyranids literally strip world's of all biological matter. Microbes included

The Flood needs specific cells to be able to affect the hose.

The Thing BECOMES those cells. Flood is subsumed.

fair enough.

I think the thing would get hunted quickly if it encountered nids because the hive mind might think something is off.

For the flood I think the thing could infiltrate and then get taken over by the flood creating flood things and then the galaxy is fucked.

To be fair, it is entirely possible the Thing has also consumed galaxies before - it can build spaceships with mid-tech materials and a few cells can infect an entire person in hours by touch.

It's worse than the Nids because the Nids don't infect you by touch, they still have to eat you and you can blow them up and be sure they're dead. Burning clearly doesn't necessarily kill the Thing.

They take the ocean in a few days.
5e rulebook put the average tyranid invasion at 26 days from first spore landing to a completely stripped planet.

Which according to some other fluff involves making the planet noticably smaller, an example earth sized world had its diameter reduced by 4%.

Its worth mentioning that tyranid hiveships have been directly attacked with exterminatus grade virus bombs, the kind the rapidly liquify all life energetically enough to set the atmosphere on fire on more rich biospheres.
Not only did it not kill them, but by the time of the next engagement hiveships had added the virus to their own bioweapons.

Which can make sense i suppose.

Assuming that they also drink oil and possible certain kinds of soils aswell as probably all moisture

But they also got wiped out by the Tau bio engineering a virus.

Wat.

>nids do manage to do things like steal the entire ocean inside of a few months
you mean a few days

Depends entirely on unknown variables, primarily size. With a sufficiently large Gravemind, The Thing could has countless worlds of biomass but would still be fucked because of the Logic Plague. Alternatively, the moment it tries to subsume and become Flood Cells, the Gravemind will take control,as the Gravemind holds ALL Flood cells.

Another variable is tech level. Flood can pretty much take over any kind of tech and use it with surprising precision. Even with basic Human/Covenant weaponry the Flood could probably fight The Thing, but holy shit if they got even a little Forerunner or Precursor gear it's a bad day fo the Thing.

I imagine the Flood would beat the nids, or at least be able to far against one hive fleet at a time. After all the flood did beat the Forerunners which were infinitely more stronger than the Covenant and the UNSC combined.

The Flood were defeated by a guy in iPod power armour armed with a space M4.

Incidentally, the Forerunners were also defeated by a guy in iPod power armour armed with a space M4.

The Flood are weak shit. The Forerunners are/were weak shit. Get the fuck out.

>Incidentally, the Forerunners were also defeated by a guy in iPod power armour armed with a space M4.
Wat?

Please note that the flood were contained on the Halo Rings and massively smaller i nscale than they were during the Forerunner's times. Also Masterchief killed like one Forerunner.

>Even with basic Human/Covenant weaponry the Flood could probably fight The Thing, but holy shit if they got even a little Forerunner or Precursor gear it's a bad day fo the Thing.
Piss off. If The Thing can make a goddamn anti-grav saucer in a couple hours with some ductape and soldering iron, think about what The Thing could do with Forerunner tech.
Oh wait, not that much, seeing how shitty Forerunner tech is. Can't even beat a slightly genetically modified guy armed with 5-minutes-in-the-future weapons and armour.

the flood need a central nervous system. The Nids can quickly fix that problem with bio engineering on the fly. They could also just start a slow process of digesting the planet from orbit.

Excuses from Bungie "I've lost control of my franchise" Studios to save their horrid storytelling.

Goddamn I hate how the post Combat Evolved games ruined such effective and efficient story telling.

>They haven't read the thread

Just stop. Forerunner-Era Flood are not the same as 'Modern' Flood, and Chief has never even fought proper Forerunners.

2, 3, and even Reach were great desu.

Feck off.