/btg/ - BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Fuck Lyrans edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – UPDATED (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

(new)
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-04-27 - Still getting worked on & now has 11483 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-03-26!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Our /btg/ Merc Unit! 2017-05-01
pastebin.com/3ffaLH9C

Other urls found in this thread:

bgb.booru.org/index.php
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nuke the frails space war now!

Praise Blake

I need Albatross variants.

Anyone have some to share? CampaignAnon?

It means the Grim Reaper.

You know, to keep up with Daishi (not really 'big death' but that was the intention of the authors) and such.

Whoever does the next thread, update this please: -

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-05-18 - Still getting worked on & now has 11760 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-05-15!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE
Also has anybody updated the merc unit we started a couple threads ago?

Also fuck Lyrans. I used to be one....

Anyone have the stats to that Clanbuster King Crab from the last thread?

It's just the KGC-001. Twin GRs, twin SSRM-2, an LRM-15, and an LPL.
...It's also a 3/5 with 17t of armor.

Thank you, but...
13 SHS
What?

Does it really >need< more? I mean, I'd pull the extra ton of @Streak-2 for LRM ammo, but with that loadout doubles are kind of pointless.

Pardon my HS-OCD, but couldn't the pilot use the LPL, gausses and then the LRM while moving without heat problems if it had 10 DHS?
HS-OCD is a hell of a drug.

Having run a KGC-001 in an extended campaign, you never really need the heat. You're ultimately a gauss boat that occasionally fires some LRMs and 13 SHS is plenty for that. If you're using the LPL, something's gone terribly wrong and you're probably about to die (the mech has 4 bombs in it, so a breach of the armor is basically game over).

Because I fear no ammo crits, that's why?

OK, this is goddammed stupid. I need to print out a TW-compliant Motorized ballistic rifle infantry record sheet, I can't find which record sheet book/pdf it's in, and sarna doesn't list a record sheet source.

Where the hell is the damn thing? Please?

Assuming you mean just a bog standard generic platoon, you have to make one yourself via the blanks in TM. I assume the idea was that basic infantry platoons are so simplistic that it's easy to make one off the infantry stats given in TW. Unfortunately, I don't think those damage stats in TW have yet to be updated to match the alterations caused by TM 3.0's changes to various infantry weapons.

bampu

Unless you're a Kurita I feel like there's no reason to not add DHS to anything you can.

U R B I E
R
B
I
E

why can't I upload images for 3 days straight, fuck you, moot

Moot's gone user, it's a nip telling you off now.

who's moot?

Chink is just a puppet. Wake up, sheeple.

This. Anyone with half a brain knows who's really pulling the strings.

I stepped on that PERSON with a Quickdraw. He's a stain now.

Nope, I am busy as fuck
Shouldn't had take the front of the project, Someone else should manage the whole thing

That's the thing. Depending on who takes it on, it could end up drastically different.

>Unless you're a Kurita I feel like there's no reason to not add DHS to anything you can.
eh, in 3052 there's no real reason to freak out about it though. The theoretical reason given in the fluff is that the engines they had on hand were all pre-League Hegemony vintage shit without DHS compatibility. They could still have made new engines later on, but really the ClanBusters were all supposed to be "aaaaaaahhhhhh fuckfuckfuck what can we do with 300XL engines and 3053 tech". Once they relax enough to start making new designs, they come out with the -008 and 008R to fill its role.

Psst... the guy in the brown Stinger dies... it's racism.

Dude, brown Valks are the same thing as red shirts in Star Trek. Non Flight-leads use teh brown scheme, trainers are orange, flight leads get the fancy shit.

But they made them brown because racism, is the point.

That's one of the reasons why liking giant robots makes you a racist. If you like giant robots, you're OK with Macross by definition,
and if you're OK with Macross you're OK with the inherent racism of "brown" being a symbol for "less important and expendable".

I watched both the abomination that was Robotech to learn where the original BT mech art came from, and the original Macross. It was a joke.

Guys, guys. Macross is no more objectionable to any reasonable observer than the social policies of the Magistracy of Canopus.

Hey... wait... hey... HEY!?

Of course, I forgot the JSDF uses brown ground-combat equipment because they hate brown people. Also that doesn't explain why Spartans are green and all the other expendable Destroids are brown..

This.
It still boggles my mind that there are people who got into Battletech because they wanted Robotech: the Board Game.

Macross, maybe, but Robotech was so much nails-on-chalkboard voice acting and recycled 8fps animation.

Dougram was another story altogether. I legitimately enjoyed that one and am thankful to the guy who decided to fansub the whole series.

All of us were 12 once. Plus it made discovering Macross (via 3g Canadain fansubs in my case..) all the sweeter when it arrived.

>Robotech was so much nails-on-chalkboard voice acting

Did Tony Oliver *ever* go through puberty?

Absolutely 100% in agreement. If it weren't for the mech art, I could do without the entire thing. Everything in that original series had problems minus a few well animated small parts.

And the Waltrip brothers did the comics for the Carl Macek turd sequel which begin awful and became fecal.

>This.
>It still boggles my mind that there are people who got into Battletech because they wanted Robotech: the Board Game.

It's not like there were a ton of alternative giant robot games in the 1980s.

I won't lie, my uncle got me my 2e boxed set for Christmas in `86 specifically because I'd asked him to look and see if there was any Robotech gaming stuff out there.

I was 6. Robotech was goddamn awesome to a 6-year old.

I was more concerned with the idol singing.
If they found someone who could sing to voice act, it would have been more tolerable.
They found someone who could do neither.
Did they pay them in food stamps?

For that matter, I've always hated singing in movies and cartoons, from as early as I can remember. I felt like it got in the way of progressing the story. I remember fast-forwarding VHS cassettes of the little mermaid when I was 3.

So much wasted plot on Lynn Minmei and her bullshit singing.

I never liked Robotech, and while I grew up when Gundam Wing was becoming huge in the US, BattleTech made more sense than the former two because War is man's oldest profession.

After Dinotopia, TROs were my bedtime story of choice.

>For that matter, I've always hated singing in movies and cartoons, from as early as I can remember. I felt like it got in the way of progressing the story. I remember fast-forwarding VHS cassettes of the little mermaid when I was 3.

Do you have the other half of this amulet?
When I was younger, it would piss me off to no end when they would obviously be bringing in some pathetic talent they wanted to sell as the new hit singer or whatever. IIRC, even in crap sitcoms and dramas there would be scenes where the plot would grind to a damn halt, and the characters would sit at a cafe or night club listening to generic-new-singer #3982749283 that wasn't going to make it big. I hate musicals.

Oddly being older than you, I was influenced by the Transformers. When they did that painted character art on the boxes and such, it was such an intricate departure to what generic crap all robots looked like to me as a kid, that when I saw the detail put into them, and then a few years later saw the back of the 2nd edition mechs I knew something was different. It was like somebody cared to make a product that had a level of detail and depth I never saw before. I guess as a kid I could just sense when something was a poorly put together pile of excrement and I just wanted to see some effort.

Would there be a chance at all of someone stumbling across a Stag or Stag II in the 31st century?

the best thing to come out of robotech was honestly palladium's RPG
it didn't have a whole lot to do with the show but it was a fun setting

No. The designs were developed by Clan Wolverine and in the Homeworlds, and while they were used until 2870, the Clans would probably not have any examples left after 3060, I guess.

>Would there be a chance at all of someone stumbling across a Stag or Stag II in the 31st century?
Yeah, but then the Blakies will kill you.

What mechs are those? What's going on there exactly?

>War is man's oldest profession.

I was told that it never changes.

>Do you have the other half of this amulet?

Why? You planning to unite the Magic Root and end Sawboss's reign of terror once and for all?

Those are Wolverine mechs, as in mechs made exclusively by that Clan

>What mechs are those? What's going on there exactly?
It's the cover of ISP 3: Interstellar Expeditions, illustrating the opening story. A group of mercs carrying on the legacy of Uncle Chandy and the Devil's Brigade have just found a Mercury II and a Pulverizer - 'Mechs largely-exclusive to the Wolverines. In Clan Wolverine/Minnesota Tribe colors. They're about to be killed by Blakists with orbital bombardment thanks to a traitor who infiltrated the unit. There's more details in ISP III. It's in the OP, but it's actually one of the handful of modern BT books that I strongly suggest you pick up for actual money.

One of the few actual possible connections between the Not-Named and the Blakists was the Blakies (specifically the Frail factions on Earth) using Pulverizers in the Jihad. Given that the design is post-Klondike and NOT in the databases Old ComStar got from the Clans...

>used actual too many times again
I have shamed the ancestors and I apologize for my shitty writing. I submit more pictures in atonement.

More atonement. Seriously, though, ISP 3 is some of the best writing out of Catalyst in the last ten years and it has a bunch of cool shit inside. Most of that's hard to use with a conventional game of BT but it's still fucking cool.

Does megamek support quadvees yet? Because if so I need to change my bid for a game.

Not really, no. I don't think MM supports the transformation yet.

Hey OP maybe want to switch that Battletech videogame link to he new one where they show off the Beta fom last week ?

Damn, I'm usually an IS player who got strong armed into a zell match. I was hoping to get a leg up by changing my bid for mech star to a vehicle star. Looks like I'll have to smash his face in the usual way.

Why not go full CHH anyways and use Eponas and other HH vees?

I still might, but the guy I'm playing follows zell religiously, so he'll just shit over vees. Quadvees have the excuse of also being mechs which would allow me to abuse zell for all its worth. As it is I'm still going to break zell. I'm just going to have to be smarter about it.

Oh hell, I remember that as a kid! I downloaded all the eps a few years back and found out there wasn't any real ending. Damn good opening. And hell yeah I'm bring together the magic root!

If I'm able to do the next thread before someone jumps in, I'll take care of this. Someone else has some other updates as well that needs to happen.

Two Vees to a point, user. They can combine fire on a 'Mech without breaking Zell.

Yes, It's something I'm considering it, the problem is that zell doesn't protect vees and my opponent is a life long clan player. I bid heavier than him so I'll probably rush him and forgo Batchall then double up with some Hunchie 2C's and take out his heavy armor. I have insanely good luck with UAC's and he bid no assaults.

How common are the Hunchie IICs and do they survive into the dark age?

I didn't think there were any Pulverizers actually fielded, just a single use of one in the diorama one year? Its not like the ISP/Jihad Secrets says "And the WoB's 39th Division was seen with their rare mech."

Wait, which way round is a Cicada? I presumed the some went at the front.

I've got two sets of the Intro Box mechs, unfortunately from before the move to better plastic a couple of years ago.

I'm going to eventually paint one set in the individual colours that come in the Universe book, and the other set maybe all as one faction or as 3 or 4, depending.

Pointy end in the front, with the fin end of the arm facing rear. Neither of those are Cicadas.

Is the link in the copypasta the most recent against the bots instructions?

Correct, I haven't updated it recently. I planned on doing so last weekend, but my computer went apeshit last Thursday, and I reinstalled windows only this Thursday, hoping I'd get it back to rights. Is there anything you want me to go over specifically?

Thanks. I was just checking that their hadn't been updates. Not meaning to prod you. Thyanks for the work you do.

No it's fine, I am actually building a changelog based on the feedback I've gotten, I just don't want to completely overhaul Part 3 into "Playing Your Contracts" without checking to see what people are having issues with.

Also, I'm waiting on the moratorium for the BMM to end so I can add some stuff for variants. I do sort of plan to release my custom refit kits and their quirks eventually.

Say Clan Blood Spirit didn't interfere in the Burrock absorption.

They'd have been like 10-11 galaxies strong, right?

How might things have gone differently for them in later years?

If you were the khans of the Blood Spirits what would you have done differently in the 3050s?

I've been tagging like a motherfucker the past few days, and I'll probably continue to do so because I have little else better to do.

I would offer to take it off your hands but I'm not confident in my ability to maintain it any better.

Basically quit being such a pack of whinging, oathbreaking cunts and focus on our actual tactical objectives. And I'm saying that as a long-time Spirit player. There's a reason none of us were particularly surprised with the way the clan went out in the Reavings, lemme put it that way.

Checked the booru. I think I know which one is you. Great work! Next mission, you get to pilot the Mad Cat with the bling on it and the external speakers.

To be fair, ISP is the best product line BT ever had.

You know, I think what they're trying to do with the TtS "books" is put out a new ISP in fragments. Only instead of selling a good one for fifty they're selling a hundredth of a shitty one for a fiver, then wondering why they don't get money at the same ratio...

It's almost like gamers have some kind of standards.

No conspiracy theories, not ISP.

More importantly, they had more surviving WarShips, which would be important for when they pack their bags and get the fuck out of clan space, which is literally their only hope for long term survival
If I was khan, I'd be preparing to make a break for it, possibly also a side plan to grab as many of the remaining caches of gear on my way out

>More importantly, they had more surviving WarShips, which would be important for when they pack their bags and get the fuck out of clan space, which is literally their only hope for long term survival
>If I was khan, I'd be preparing to make a break for it, possibly also a side plan to grab as many of the remaining caches of gear on my way out
To be fair, that is in fact what they were doing in the seventies. They just ran for Colleen instead of the Sphere. Well, most of them anyway; at least some of them made it out with the Jaguar, Snake, and Dark Caste survivors to join the Green Ghosts. I agree though, I would have started running in the fifties and gunned for the gap between the OA and Taurians. Cut a deal with the locals to avoid pissing off the Feddies and hold on tight. Use the Ravens as cover and give back some of our ships as transport costs instead of trying to bargain them for more weapons in the Homeworlds. Although given that that's apparently one of the hotbeds of Weird Shit Going Down in ISP, that plan probably wouldn't have lasted long.

Plus buying the OA and TC off into leaving you alone would be extremely easy, and if you didn't raid the suns, they probably wouldn't care much either

They don't survive, period. They're the Clan equivalent of suicide bombers. Since there's still Clanners who lived too long, I'm sure they still build them.

Is there anything equivalent in the future?

What is with Clanners and age anyway?

>conquer Tortuga worlds
>form the Blood Dominions

Write it.

Saw Logan's Run one too many times. The idea of a computer running their lives turns them on in ways too horrible to even animate.

So, related question:
What mechs exactly were the spirits building in the late 50s?

Information on home clan manufacturing is really spotty. Only things we know for sure for the Blood Spirits are the Blood Kite and Stooping Hawk, with the Crimson Langur added in the 3060s.

If we go by their RATs from Historical: Revival Placement Trails, set in 3048, they make heavy use of the Adder, Kit Fox, Battle Cobra, Nova, Storm Crow, Crossbow, and Kingfisher, all of which are old enough that it would be reasonable the Spirits could be manufacturing them on York. The Storm Crow is notable for it's TRO3050U Manufacturer entry just being 'various' on account it's so common among the clans.

They may have some manufacturing of second line machines, but we have no information to go on there. They are known for using old SLDF surplus gear, so it's possible most or all of their second line machines are refitted (or base model) machines pulled from Star League in Exile caches. Not counting their many Blood Kites, of course.

It's worth noting that as a clan they prefer equipment that is cheap and easy to manufacture and maintain, so they favor 'mechs that don't have XL engines, Endo Steel, fancy electronics like targeting computers and Artemis IV, and weapon preferences tend towards basic missile launchers and lasers. Most of the 'mechs from the RAT I mentioned above meet some or all of those criteria.

>ISP 3 is some of the best writing out of Catalyst in the last ten years
They just sort of said fuck it let's just write some sci-fi and not even worry about fitting mechs in... and it was glorious.

Nicky the nonce didn't want any Christmas cake in his magical realm

Pretty cool.

I really liked the TRO 3067 art of the Blood Kite and for a long while wanted to start a Blood Spirit force because of it.

Later I went on to find out that the mini was based on art from sourcebooks that hit every single branch out of the ugly tree, even compared to retro BT standards.

The Lyrans are the sole Inner Sphere faction that I completely lack any affection for. Every other House has at least something that I like.

Yeah, been forlornly hoping for a new version of the mini myself. Occasionally poke at the idea of kitbashing something nicer than the official version, but there's not a lot to work with. If Sketchanon's version ever gets made, I'll be picking up a few.

A stellar series. They made me interested in the WoB, which is something a dozen prior books couldn't accomplish.

You don't like armies of heavy mechs charging down the field with no regard for strategy?

I like your take on the Kite better than Plog's, even though I do initially like Plog's weird machine. The arms are better, the cockpit, pretty much everything. I do think the armor on the legs of Plog's machine is neater, but I like this very much. Good work.

I found a more recent video for the HBS game if somebody wants to put it in future OPs.

Also, it looks like larger ACs fire more shells rather than bigger shells. I'm not sure how I feel about that

I also liked the original art to a degree, but the mini that came out of it really kills interest. Seriously, IWM gets a lot of shit around here for the quality of it's minis, but that one earns it.

That said, not technically 'my' take on the Kite, but the user who has been recently favoring us with with some very nice redraws.

A previous user in the thread got this. If I am able to, I'm ready to add that and what that other user wanted changed in the OP. Lots of new things!

Ah, I see. This charger look a little Crusader-y in the chest area for me. I don't know why. It looks like it could be a sergeant in the army or something.