13th Age vs 5th Edition D&D

I have some experience playing and DMing 5e but I never tried 13th age and I want to know if there is a reason to swich, if 13th age does something that 5th does not. I already choose to not touch Pathfinder since it is too close to 3.5 that doesnt have sence to learn PF (a new system) to run things that would feel the same in 3.5 (or even kind of in 5th)
So this is a pros and cons of 5e and pros and cons of 13th age.
Also you can post any other system/edition vs themed post here

Other urls found in this thread:

13thagesrd.com/
13thage.org/index.php/house-rules/497-death-to-ability-scores-variant
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pros: people actually play 5e
Cons: 13th age is a shit system.

Play 5th edition. It's not as good as 3e but it's still pretty good.

Is it different enough to make a different experience when you play 13th age?

>not as good as 3e
get out with your bloated horribly done system

Well, what do you care about in a system?
Both are kinda bad, but can be played just fine.

Yes, it's a very different experience.

Is this actually an attempt to make him try 13th age because your opinion is so shit that he'll do the opposite?

Story driven, with lots of exploration of the lore and good dynamic combat

Play radiance :v)

Explain how my opinion is shit.

>bloated
Nah not really. Sorry you can't handle a game with more than 10 pages of rules.
>horribly done
Nah not really.

That list is... nigh useless.

What exactly do you mean by "story-driven" in the context of an RPG?
Exploration of the lore is something you do outside the system itself, unless you mean that you want a game with a highly detailed pre-packaged setting.
"Dynamic combat" is more a buzzword than anything. Do you want combat to resolve quickly? Do you want combat to feature interesting tactical movement? Do you want combat to support flavorful descriptions?

Nice buzzwords. 13th age has an "escalation die" so that combat gets more deadly the longer it goes on. Other than that, nothing really special. It's basically a 4e ripoff

D&D 3.5:Pathfinder::D&D4e:13th Age

I just assume someone is baiting anymore when they say 3e is good.

13th age is nowhere near as compatible with 4e as Pathfinder is with 3.5.
Everyone in this thread is talking out of their ass, this was a bad idea, OP.

Neither is good, but you can steal the interesting parts of 13th Age and use them elsewhere with minimal fuss.

> Play third edition! You have thousands of options to create the character you want to play! However if you don't choose one a specific five options, you'll lag massively behind the powercurve. Piss off your fellow players, and get brutally murdered while some 310lbs 5' 3" manlet playing a slutty Cat Woman Erudite bullshit spammer tells you to "git gud".

>Have all the fun of listening to the league of legends voice chat right in your living room! With the added bonus of having said 5' 3" manlet try and break your shit when you tell him to fuck off!

>I just assume

Found your problem.

I was being generous user, it turns out you're an actual retard instead of merely pretending.

>it turns out you're an actual retard instead of merely pretending.

Really? Do you have proof of that?

Are you asking for proof that you saying you like 3e isn't bait?
I suppose I can't prove that so maybe there is still hope.

Is 13th Age like D&D4.75E?

Does it reward system mastery, like this tapestry
depicting 3rd edition?

No one else is being helpful, so I'll jump in here.

>Necessary background
13th Age comes from Rob Heinsoo and Jonathan Tweet-- you can tell because the names are right there on the book. The other names are irrelevant. Heinsoo and Tweet are the major design minds behind this and helpfully include their differing philosophies in sidebars and such. Heinsoo was the lead designer during 4e, while Tweet contributed to 3.5.

This is relevant. From 4e you get a very structured suite of character combat powers-- from 3.5 you get bad math.

>Design Philosophy
13th Age embraces what was largely implicit in 4e, namely that mechanical arbitration was more important during combat than outside of it. It approaches non-combat encounters, therefore, with a less than rigorous touch (though it is not without structure). Skills for example, are merely background packages. You don't have Athletics, Acrobatics, Survival, and Intimidation as discrete skills but instead have "Pirate +5" as a background. Whenever you're doing/attemping something which would fall under the purview of being a goddamn pirate, you get +5. This is a goldmine for argumentative people who want to eke out a bonus for everything, but easily moderated by a sensible DM. 13th Age doesn't do a lot of work you might expect it to-- it seems to angle for a streamlined, fast-moving version of 4e at the end of the day.

You may hate it. You may love it. But that's what it is.

That has some appeal to it, I think--loose narrative, structured "gameplay".

It's more like what 5e could have been if it was based on 4e instead of throwing everything out in a blind panic.

It does not so much reward system mastery as punish a lack of system mastery.
>You want a simple class you can just play without having to make a lot of choices in creation and combat? We've got you covered!
>Whoops, turns out we made all the simple classes suck real bad.

I've only ever played 13th Age. I have fun with it but the impression I get from grognards familiar with other systems is that 13th Age is RP > Rules in a bad way.

I have fun, i like our games, and I like my group and DM.

ayyy

user, it's self-evident

>Is 13th Age like D&D4.75E?
Nope. It's more like D&D 4e with the tactical miniatures focus swapped for storygame elements. Probably closer to AD&D than anything else, really.

>from 3.5 you get bad math

I chuckled. Well played, user.

You should try Strike! instead.

Put your fucking name on Strikefag so my filters catch your shilling ass.

It wasn't me

Can you even see this?

>it's reproducing asexually

I sensibly chuckled

Why not just play a short game of 13th Age and see if you like it? You don't need to buy more than the core book to run a game, you know. Unless one of your players really wants to play something in the 13 True Ways book for a 3 level mini campaign...

Just to contribute:
SRD: 13thagesrd.com/

A pretty cool rules variant: 13thage.org/index.php/house-rules/497-death-to-ability-scores-variant

>Why not just play a short game of 13th Age and see if you like it?
I can think of several reasons why "just play a short game" of any RPG could not be an option.

You don't have any friends and neither a regular group?

Our group often does oneshots for all sorts of systems when our forever-GM needs a break. We've tried Dungeon World, Eclipse Phase, CoC, Dogs in the Vineyard, Savage Worlds and Dungeon Hack

I am not the accused but

>You don't have any friends and neither a regular group?

is probably a majority of this board, as much of a paradox/bummer that might seem.

If he has the means to play 5e, he has the means to try 13th Age. I would honestly say he'd be doing himself a disservice not at least trying a new system out for a game or two to see if he and whatever group he plays with like it.

This and even when I did have regular groups, any attempts at suggesting a different system were met with cries of "that's too much work" and similar complaints even when I was doing all of the work and did not require my players to actually read the new ruleset.
Other reasons are no location and not enough time, because even if you streamline it as much as possible explaining a new system and getting used to new characters still takes more time than a regular session of your usual system.

Cannot even remember how 13th Age does well. I know it's clearly doing things better, but some hazy things made me put it on the backburner.

Why not try both and decide for your fucking self?

>It's not as good as 3e
Opinion disregarded.

Only played 13th Age but everyone in my group seems to prefer it over 5E.