Was DOW III any good?

Was DOW III any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/cnquistador/recommended/285190
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not yet.
It has potential but they'll need to change a lot of thing for that.
Units have SC2 level of durability while Elites have WC3 heroes level of power.
SM current meta is basically spamming scout and assault marines, tacticals are currently the worst unit of the game and SM the weakest faction.
Ork are perfect though and they announced their intention of adding a Last Stand mode.

Depends on how much you liked the previous games. People who loved DoW 2 hate it, people who loved DoW 1 go either way.

I personally think it's pretty good, the Elite system opened up a lot of units that we would have never seen in a video game otherwise. Kind of disappointed by the lack of factions, but they'll obviously keep adding more in expansions. Units are too fragile, you can lose an army if you're not paying attention.

I think it will get better after a few game balancing patched.

And anyone who says it's a MOBA is fucking retarded.

I was hoping for more out of the story mode. Deep down inside I was hoping the twist Would be necrons instead of chaos. But it's always chaos. But that only goes to prove GW's point of how neglected chaos is in the fluff :^)

Not particularly. They tried to put together DOW II and DOW I, which would have been perfect (massive armies from large protected bases, mixed with a few awesome elite units).
But they failed to do so. Instead they shoved in some MOBA hybrid, made base building absolutely horrible, put in the strangest resource collection I've ever seen, and failed to balance units (nothing like getting mowed down by Eldar).
They tried to do what people wanted. And failed in doing so. Even the armies are pathetically small, and most elite units are passed up for the big hitter (which the Eldar currently seem to have the best one for).

>Deep down inside I was hoping the twist Would be necrons instead of chaos.
At least we aren't getting Chaos in the expansion.

Nope.
Weakest game in the series

>At least we aren't getting Chaos in the expansion.
Why not both?
If it's going the Total Warhammer way then it's going to be a trilogy, they can add 3 factions each time.
>implying there's still people willing to buy potential expansion

It's good, but it's not currently worth $80, and it will be much better when they add more stuff. I would wait to buy it on sale if you're slightly interested

>No IG faction

it's shit.

Loved 1, kinda liked 2.

So far very disappointed with 3.

It was 50% off 5 hours ago.

>And anyone who says it's a MOBA is fucking retarded.
Only playable multiplayer mode is MOBA with controlled creeps where you must destroy towers and core instead of base.

They never have IG in a vanilla dow game. You always get them in expansions

Suffers from the same issue fallout 4 had
Fallout 4 was a alright game, but a shitty fall out game.

DoW III is an alright game but a shitty dawn of war game.

Dam it's already on sale? I shouldnt have pre ordered it. The gameplay itself is really good, but it needs more factions and more maps. $80 was a total rip off, but $40 is pretty reasonable

I have completed Hard campaign.
I have played at least 50 multiplayer games by now.
I have leveled up almost every hero to level 10 by now.
I have a youtube channel with like 25-30 gameplay videos.

Its not good. Not really. It reminds me of Command and Conquer 4, where you ultimately spam to win. In that sense, it feels like a spin on a traditional RTS - which can be fun. But ultimately its not what DoW or DoW2 were all about.

I personally think the one thing which really fucks DoW3 replayability over is how the focus on power cores as the ultimate goal is tied to the elite points summoning system. A good player can come back from a resource deficit, but doing it while fighting an early tier 2 or tier 3 elite as a result of players rushing down power cores early is insanely difficult.

As the game is right now, I can't recommend it. I enjoy spamming tier 3 units right now, but I'll probably drop the game this week.

>But that only goes to prove GW's point of how neglected chaos is in the fluff :^)
Chaos have destroyed Cadia and literally ripped the entire galaxy in half with a warp rift

And Magnus' task force got the closest to the Golden Throne than any Chaos warhost in 10k years.

Where do you live? I preordered my copy for $33 US from cdkeys.com, but I'm not sure if region locks would have screwed over non-americans.

Not to mention big red also pulled his demon world Into real space.

I'm hoping relic was serious when they said they'd release different game modes pretty soon after launch.

>The only playable multiplayer mode is a MOBA that is completely different from a MOBA.

your a special kind of retarded I see

Next patch is supposed to be released on the 24th.

>MOBA spouter
>your a special kind of retarded
way to prove him right, retard

Ironically, the only significant mode I think anyone would give a shit about is a MOBA mode.

user, he's sarcastic.

DoW3 has the perfect framework for a Last Stand game.
Hopefully they also add an X Hero Siege mode.

It's not an RTS. It's a fucking joke game dumbed and nerfed down till you hit rock bottom. Because they want to baby players hard you LITERALLY CANNOT RUSH EARLY GAME. The whole RTS stategy of making a risky assault by sucking up all your resources into whatever you zergling variant is? Gone, literally incapable of being done in Escalation Phase 1.

Game is shit, nobody should buy it until they allow players freedom of strategy instead of enforcing one fucking way to play.

>can't do one retarded strategy so now game is shit and no one should enjoy it either
Why the fuck does DoW series attract so many worthless autists? It isn't even the good kind of autists that would math out some new crazy shit, it is literally the worst kind that just screams REEE at everything.

Don't be so harsh to yourself

Please tell me how limiting it equally to "escalation phases" so you actually can't tech up faster than the other guy or rush him is "only elminating one strategy". DOW 3 isn't about strategy, it's about forcing you to play one way, the approved way.

Because RTS games cater to ADHD addled kiddies. Turn based games appeal to the strategic mind.

RTS players just want to rush and end shit caters to it. These aren't the days of well thought out RTS games like C&C. So turn based games are best so far. That's where you go when you want true strategy rather than "LE EPIN ZERG RUSH I WIN! LEL XDDDDD".

You still haven't even figured out the game, but already spouting bullshit. You can tech faster than the other guy by taking the energy on the map early and defending those points while teching and denying your opponent.
You can also take the map by raiding the opponent's economy, use multiple opening to destroy the objectives and many more. I am not going to write a blog post to educate retards, but you are too simple-minded or simply stuck in starcraft mentality to understand how strategy in this game works.

>freedom of strategy
>zerg rush

Pic related. It isn't strategy to do that. Especially since everyone knows the zerg rush shit these days. All it does is save you from screwing yourself over. Or were you relying on picking off literal retarded children with that rush? Top fucking kek.

>armchair rtstragists and armchair boardstrategists flinging shit at each other on an online board

Is there anything other than "armchair" strategy when it comes to RTS or TBS?

Its actually quite mathematical. The whole metagame (outside of elite points) is to make the opponent waste more resources than you. If you defeat the enemy enough times and transition to tier 3 with what you had in tier 1, then that is a vast resource deficit that the enemy would likely be unable to overcome - barring acts of complete retarditry like rushing a bunch of Eldar banshees into a Venerable Dreadnought.

No.
Give it a few years.

Is this game any good if i don't care one bit about multiplayer?

I never did

Practitioners, or people who actually play the game.

The campaign is the best part of it, but that isn't saying much. They pretty much decided to dumb the game down in order to pander to the Starcraft audience, and we got this mess as a result.

No, it is a multiplayer-focused game and with awful balance to boot. At lest there is a patch soon.

Yet people are discussing the games so clearly we have played it. For instance I play a shit ton of chess variants and other turn based strategy games. And roguelikes too. It's all armchair strategy because none of it is real.

The campaign is a massive disappointment, the multi-player is babies first RTS with a super forgiving early game and no rushing allowed, and the game itself is dumbed down a fair bit.

It's mediocre.

My space dudebros and eldar waifus are real.
;_;

>Yet people are discussing the games so clearly we have played it.

>board for traditional games
>finds it hard to believe people have played rts or tbs games

Just because you're a weeb shitposter who never played a game besides LoL or dota 2 doesn't mean we are all like you.

Your implication has as much validity as the implication that everyone who posts in a Warhammer 40k thread is actively playing Warhammer 40k. And if you believe that, then you live in a much happier world than any of us.

Dunno, SC and SC2 are too much of a clickfest to be "armchair" strategy.

Well 40k spans a lot. Books/lore, video games, tabletop games, etc. So clearly not everyone there will care about the one single game, but most do or at least have an interest in 40k to some degree.

But keep projecting because you don't play games and assume others don't. I even mentioned the games I played.

>I read a book about 40k, that makes me qualified to talk about 40k gameplay

>takes an offhanded comment to mean I care about 40k at all and assumes I read a book and shit up the threads

Is that what you do?

What I do is point out that posters like you should refrain from posting about activities you don't even take part in.

>b-but it was just an offhand comment, it didn't mean anything

You said "hurr not everyone in 40k threads care about 40k!" and I said that they clearly care in some way since an interest in 40k spans a lot of different interests.

But clearly you're being obtuse on purpose, or asspained that people don't like 8th edition and think hating one game means hating all 40k games or all 40k tabletop games.

>make retarded post with smug anime girl to cover up your idiocy
>get called out
>STILL GOING
this is too funny

To anyone who played the game.
Which was your favorite theme from the soundtrack?

All I want is a sequel to Dawn of War. Relic has yet to make one.

No.

Gorgutz was the best character.
>a super pointy stikk

>starcraft audience
what the fuck?
there's literally no mining or macro, units have a shit ton on activated abilities.
If anything it's more like wc3 but with squishy units

It is strategy. You have no idea what your opponent is building, and back in DOW 1 or DOW 2 days your zerg rush could be hard countered by shit like heavy bolters with suppression added in DOW 2 that would gut cultist spam. And there wasn't any thing as fucking stupid as escalation phases arbitrarily limiting shit and preventing rapid tech up from the start of the game.

Unsurprisingly DOW will always remain shit-tier compared to C&C or hardcore RTS.

good. it should remain so. C&C is dead, probably because the RTS genre was a frankenstein's monster of a genre that split into more focused games, just like with the FPS genre

I thought Gorgutz was too smart. He came off more clever than that Eldar Autarch dude and that should never happen

It still means we don't have a truly good 40K rts. The only way to make DOW 1 or DOW 2 truly good games is by modding them because Relic can't balance anything.

>balance
just like the tabletop eh?
The most popular mod for DoW1 is a bloat filled mess because it chucks balance out of the window. DoW3 is probably the most balanced game relic has released since CoH1 in terms of day 1 balance.
he was manipulated the entire time by the eldar or was looking to fight. The most kunnin he showed was when he killed his boss with the beam cannon. Gorgutz was a green booger macha threw at kyre to distract him while she rescued taldeer.

Ork theme is the best from the soundtrack, but music is barely audible while playing multiplayer so it doesn't even matter.

In general the orks are the best thing from this game.

Just play SC Remaster guys.

>C&C
>hardcore
lmao

>The most popular mod for DoW1 is a bloat filled mess because it chucks balance out of the window
There is no logic in this sentence, gb2 school

>literally what were GDI tank rushes

>thinks WC3 is a moba
leave

>a super forgiving early game and no rushing allowed
>vast majority of 1vs1 are over in under 10 minutes
???

I like it, though it's probably not worth full price atm. While the campaigns fun and the multiplayer has some good shit, it gets kinda boring after a while because of how much the Power Core/Escalation Phase mode limits your options. It severely limits what you can do tactically, which is fine for new players, but it gets old fast for veterans of the franchise. That said, the Elites system is really awesome. It'll probably get better as they update and add new content for it. I also think it's definitely getting an unfair shake from the fanbase and I'm especially peeved at TB for saying the campaign was nothing but a tutorial for multiplayer after playing only two missions.

pic related

Not that guy, but if you establish enough map dominance early in the game, your opponent will often leave rather than fight an uphill battle they'll probably lose.

that's anything but a forgiving early game, friendo

I misunderstood what you were saying, my bad

Sauce of that pic. You know, in case some git from /v/ wants to scream "SHIIIIIILLLLLL!" just for pointing out DoW 3 is not complete garbage.

Not going to lie, I only play 3v3. Increased chance of having a literal retard on your team but on the upside you get big, epic fights that are more ridiculous. Like when you have six knights charging at the enemy with a horde of regular forces whilst a hailstorm of whirlwind strikes cleanse the soft targets.

Sure Riot, that's the only type

Going by steam statistics... no it's a collossal critical failure.

At first it went well and it had 25k players on release. It's usage statistics have gone through the fucking floor in less than a month however and it's now down to around 3k max a day.
Currently there is just over 1.8k playing.
DoW 2, Chaos Rising and Retribution only show 15k players on release but it took them each a FULL YEAR for their daily peak usage statistics to drop to less than 3k

DoW3 has managed this in LESS than a month.

There are more people playing Company of Heroes 2 on Steam right now, there are more people playing Medieval 2 on steam right now than there are playing DoW 3. There are even more people playing Kerbal Space Program right now than there are playing DoW 3.

Hell, there's more people playing American Truck Simulator right now than Dawn of War 3.

>/traditional games/

It was in a steam review. I don't know if I can get a link for individual reviews.

nvm got it
steamcommunity.com/id/cnquistador/recommended/285190

dow2's the best dow. debate me. you better have played it though

muh base building

base building is overrated, want to build bases go play with lego

The problem is base building has come to mean unit-production buildings that only serve as spawn points. What base building should mean is just that: building a base, with turrets, shields, energy and resource processing, shit like you find in age of empires and supreme commander. The full lego experience. If you're not going all the way then it may as well just be one buidling with upgrade options like DoW2 or Halo Wars 2.

stop. it hurts.

thats the inherent problem with base building. like you said its usually unit spawn points. there is nothing wrong with removing those buildings and moving it to tier systems like dow2

from what I can tell its not as bad as everyone says it is, but a lot of DOW fans don't like it because it feels more like a MOBA than DOW 1 or 2

And spawn point positioning doesnt matter? Opportunity costs? Destroying said building to deny production and cripple reinforcements? Deny tech? Its all about the bigger picture. Base nuilding allows vulnerabilities to exploit. RTS shouldnt be about tossing your armies at each other.

Starcraft setting is strictly inferior to 40k and most of the older folk already logged hundreds of hours into the game. It would be boring and pointless to play it again, so what does it matter how it looks now?

>40k
>superior to literally anything

If you are on Veeky Forums then you already know that it is one of the best settings, if not THE best. Starcraft is literally "rednecks in space vs aliums" so it doesn't even come close.

wrong, starcraft is about how love triumphs over evil

>$33 US from cdkeys.com
> Buying from those scammers
Doing the Chaos gods proud I see.