MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL

Magic: The Gathering Modern General (Competitive Discussion)

This thread is for the competitive discussion of the modern format. Kitchen table discussion is not welcome, but they don't read OPs anyway. For reference the average deck will run you anywhere from $400-$2000.

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Metagame thoughts?
>Bans/Unbans?

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
>mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/15/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-51517

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shock-pox/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can anyone critique my monoblue faeries deck?

// 60 Maindeck
// 1 Artifact
1 Vedalken Shackles

// 13 Creature
3 Vendilion Clique
4 Mistbind Clique
4 Spellstutter Sprite
2 Thing in the Ice

// 2 Enchantment
2 Threads of Disloyalty

// 20 Instant
4 Mana Leak
4 Remand
3 Spell Pierce
4 Spell Snare
4 Cryptic Command
1 Repeal

// 23 Land
4 Mutavault
3 Faerie Conclave
16 Island

// 1 Sorcery
1 Ancestral Vision

>1 Ancestral Vision
Yea this is wrong.

Honestly the deck seems way too slow. Ub Fae is faster and even that wins very late

-1 repeal
-2 remand
+3 AV

You probably better off playing UB faeries though and even that deck isn't that great

Bant Eldrazi Super Secret Tech

Sleeper card

Garbage
Trash

Weathered Wayfarer is any land so normally a Temple but you need A Ghost Quarter against Tron? Grab a Ghost Quarter, against Burn grab a Radiant Fountain, it has so much use and its card advantage, you wont be topdecking those lands later.

I only have one ancestral

>4 mana do nothing
What a sick card

Hey, man, every card has a place, just not in Modern. Just think about it with Fleshbag Marauder/Merciless Executioner. Always a 2 for 1 per player. Just gotta look on the bright side.

>just not in Modern
Then don't fucking post it in the modern thread

Playing/brewing a new loam pox deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shock-pox/

It made day two at a GP, top8s at least half of the "bigger" tournements I attend, and goes 3-1 or better at FNM.

>metagame:

it seems like players are figuring out the best few decks, but there is room for a lot of others right now. Just be more creative.

You pair it with Lingering Souls and Sac outlets and Blood Artists

Anyone have some insight on the RUG Delver v DSJ matchup?

I am presently playing Grixis Delver, but since that has dropped so much I want to switch over to the objectively more fun Delver variant. I just wanna know how it fares against the top decks first.

You mean HateBears secret tech to fuck over tron heavy metas

>playing delver in modern

top meme

B L U E S T A F F
L
U
E

S
T
A
F
F

While I appreciate the iconoclasm that is ditching Bitterblossom this pile is too slow for the format and you only have seven doods to champion Mistbind Clique.

Keep trying.

As someone who wants to get into Modern. Is it okay to get the Modern Event deck and basically upgrade it

I like the matchup. Your goyfs are just as big as their goyfs and blood moon plus engineered Explosives do alot of work

Holy fuck why does WotC allow vintage level cards like that to exist in modern, do they have any idea how to run a cardgame???

Unfuckingbelievable.

I agree, that's the 4color restore balance super secret tech

The only deck ot reasonably upgrades into is WB Tokens, which is like tier 3 atm. And that's after basically gutting it and taking the good cards to put with the ~50 other good cards you will need to buy as singles.

It's basically B/W tokens for the most part I think, and if you can get it for a decent price it has a lot of nonjunk cards.

I would look at recent B/W lists and see how many cards difference it is before you buy into it, but as far as precons go, I think Event Deck is by far the least shitty

sideboard some motherfucking W R A N G L E for the sickest anti-dsj tech ever seen since Vhati

INVEST IN YOUR PAJEETS NOW BOYS

IM CALLIN IT THIS IS GONNA BE A $20 CARD

I like him in tezzerator. They board out removal for artifact destruction and I laugh my ass off

Dodges Decay too, and has a pretty nice butt.
The draw engine is like a liter of gravy.

i only sb 1, but padeem has and will always impress me.

Played against a loam/vortex deck and honestly game1 felt unwinnable without graveyard hate. I think they were running more seismics, and one vortex (plus a conflagrate i think?), not sure how the manabase worked though but i think i have it screenshot somewhere.

It also had a miser Shadow of the Grave, which was one of the greasier things I've seen.

The archtype seems super open, and they keep printing some decent tech (gitfrog, various gravestuffs, splendid rec, new flashback cards)

i have a pretty terrible loam deck built that's fun to play, here's the list

// 60 Maindeck

// 4 Artifact
//

// 60 Maindeck
// 7 Creature
2 Bloodghast
2 The Gitrog Monster
3 Azusa, Lost but Seeking

// 2 Enchantment
2 Molten Vortex

// 4 Instant
2 Grisly Salvage
2 Abrupt Decay

// 30 Land
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Thespian's Stage
3 Verdant Catacombs
4 Grove of the Burnwillows
1 Stomping Ground
1 Drownyard Temple
2 Tectonic Edge
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Blood Crypt
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Tomb of Urami

// 4 Planeswalker
4 Liliana of the Veil

// 13 Sorcery
1 Flame Jab
1 Raven's Crime
3 Faithless Looting
4 Life from the Loam
4 Smallpox

// 15 Sideboard
// 4 Artifact
SB: 3 Pithing Needle
SB: 1 Crucible of Worlds

// 7 Instant
SB: 2 Abrupt Decay
SB: 2 Ancient Grudge
SB: 3 Fatal Push

// 4 Sorcery
SB: 2 Collective Brutality
SB: 2 Anger of the Gods

I've never played the deck, but I think you want a Seismic (replacing a Molten Vortex, or in addition). The combo with Gitrog is strong, and maybe even worth to run a single Dakmore and a Graven Cairns for lands.

I highly recommend a single Shadow of the Grave too, that card has a lot of synergy with little things in the deck and alongside Seismic is busted. Works great alongside Faithless/Lilly as well.

Personally (feel free to disregard my shitter opinion), i would do
-1 Molten Vortex
-1 Grisly Salvage
-1 Azusa
+1 Faithless
+1 Seismic
+1 Shadow of the Grave

-1 Tomb of Urami
-1 Thespian's Stage
+1 Graven Cairns
+1 Dakmore Salvage

thoughts?

>Replacing 50 cards from the modern event deck

More like 20

>skeleton
>wizard

Super secret tech in... something

>vial him in during your upkeep
Wizard tribal?

spellweaver helix is my favorite version of this loam meme but gitrog is just the dopest card on the planet

Decent card in budget 8rack lists, you could argue he has some upside as well given that he can block for days in a meta with goobergoys and shadows, and he's often a better topdeck than Wrench Mind would be.
For a common, he has some contention.

seismic assault being 3 mana is why i don't like it desu, but i like trimming an azusa and one tomb i suppose

>Playing?
Affinity, as always.
>Brewing?
Ayy lmao
>Metagame thoughts
Seems pretty healthy to me imo.
>Bans/Unbans?
None really. I'll go ahead and say that they could try unbanning Stone Forge Mystic, but you and I both know it won't happen.

>its card advantage, you wont be topdecking those lands later
It is card advantage, but not because it's thinning your deck

>affinity gets to play first
>lose
>draw hate game 2
>win
>don't draw hate game 3
>lose

What a fucking cool deck. I love how "inconsistent" the deck is. Oh, turn 3? Cool, swing for 10 and gblast for 8 next game.
Darn, slow hand. Only vault skirge and opal. K, turn 3 swing for 12 gblast for the rest. Good games, man. Glad I had the opportunity to play.

What are you playing?

What would you keep from the modern event deck? Souls, Procession, Inquisition, Path, Honor, and I guess the lands are workable?

Love the artwork on this guy

Not our fault you don't know how to play against affinity or are playing a deck that's shit against it.

Affinity consistently wins on turn 4 if it isn't disrupted.

I've been fooling around with Tezz builds, have you had more success with slower control decks or explosive Mox Opal and a slew of 0 cmc artifact decks? How many Whirs are you playing?

A lot of the black decks in pauper do shit like turn two this guy, turn three supernatural stamina sac him twice to put the opponent into topdeck mode right off the bat.

It's pretty brutal.

what pauper deck does this?

I've got 3 opal, 4 Bauble, 4 whir.
I'm actually playing it right now at fnm
2-0 so far.
Played against dsj and esper control

I think a good thing to keep in mind is you are just ensnaringbridge.dec in many matchups

R8/B8 illusion tribal

4 Aether Vial

4 Krovikan Mist
4 Lord of the Unreal
4 Phantasmal Image
4 Imaginary Pet
4 Phantasmal Bear
2 Illusory Angel
4 Metallic Mimic
2 Adaptive Automaton
2 Labyrinth Guardian

2 Vapor Snag
2 Unsubstantiate
2 Disrupting Shoal

4 Mutavault
10 Island
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
4 Cavern of Souls

Are you playing Glint-Nest? Got a tappedout list?

where's the penis?

I can't believe I can't find a list for you. It's the classic MBC style decks that play Chittering Rats, Crypt Rats, Grey Merchant and a bunch of edicts.

>tfw you beat death's shadow on the mull to five with storm two games in a row

wew lads i hope wotc doesn't ban this deck

ban past in flames, unban preordain

please no, how else can i show how autistic i am by playing storm

Yea, straight up ban the best part of that deck when it's not even putting up results.

Also can we get the MNBL talk started back up?

They could unban rite of flame :^)

so, recently i've heard a lot of pros and just players in general dismissing this format saying it's too linear and that this is the worst modern has been in a while. do you agree with this? i feel like modern is fine, i think it could be improved but like it's okay overall.

i mean to be fair, according to mtggoldfish, it's the most played deck on modo. that's probably because the deck is super cheap though

just blue fags mad they aren't the top deck in the format as always

this guy is right, don't ban Past in Flames, ban Serum Visions. No storm bans should only hit storm, combo as a whole must always go down with it.

>muh combo is bad meme

cmon with that

Anyone play RG Breach here? or have all the titan players moved to titanshift because discard is so prevalent? Here's my list for criticizing, was wondering if I should play more Chandra.
Meta is very slated towards small aggro and tron-like decks.

// 60 Maindeck
// 12 Creature
4 Primeval Titan
4 Sakura Tribe Elder
4 Simian Spirit Guide

// 8 Instant
4 Summoners Pact
4 Through the Breach

// 15 Sorcery
4 Search for Tomorrow
4 Farseek
4 Anger of the Gods
1 Scapeshift

// 25 Land
2 Cinder Glade
4 Stomping Ground
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
2 Forest
6 Mountain
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Wooded Foothills

// 2 Planeswalker
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

// 15 Sideboard
// 4 Creature
3 Obstinate Baloth
1 Melira, Sylvok Outcast

// 5 Artifact
3 Chalice of the Void
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Relic of Progenitus

// 2 Sorcery
2 Crumble to Dust

// 4 Instants
3 Sudden Shock
1 Pulse of Murasa

>valakut

do you enjoy losing to storm and dredge and ad nauseum or something?

>too linear
Doesn't really feel more linear than it usually is. If you are looking for a format where blue control is king, Modern is not that format, has never been that format, and never will be that format.
>a lot of pros
Pros have never liked Modern because it isn't really solvable (inb4 exceptions like Eldrazi Winter). Modern rewards having intimate knowledge of a deck over trying to metagame the field (again, inb4 exceptions like small invite tournaments). That's bad for pros, but good for average players.

Wait is Primeval Titan not banned?

Nope. Summer Bloom is what they banned from the Amulet Bloom deck. Amulet Titan and Valakut decks still exist.

there are manlands

Those aren't really prevalent in my local meta. I play blue moon at larger tournaments.

I would still be playing bloom titan if it wasn't for that nigger that top8'd PT Born of the Gods.

No. It would have gotten banned at some point anyway.

Literally no one was playing it or even knew about it before that.

Doesn't matter.

Actually that's all that matters. A deck can kill on turn one 100% of the time but if absolutely no one plays it, Wizards wont do shit.

Hatebears or DnT?

And what color/style should I play? I'm interested in Eldrazi Taxes, but it seems to put up worse numbers than Hatebears

Broken decks are found. If it wasn't at Born of the Gods, it would have been elsewhere. Your deck getting banned was inevitable.

Hatebears. D&T is underwhelming in Modern and straight up Eldrazi is better than Eldrazi & Taxes.

Guys, Padeem is a girl.
Stop misgendering her.

>Modern players suddenly embracing a new deck that WASN'T just played at the PT

Again, if no one was playing it, it would not win. If he did not play it a the PT, it would still be fringe.

Modern PTs no longer exist, yet we see metagame shifts towards powerful decks.

If no one was playing it, it would not win, but all it takes is a few fringe people to find it and start putting up results to start the chain reaction. You would have had to keep the deck a secret somehow.

It's banned and deserves to be banned. Deal with it.

Ah I see, he broke the rules of the secret society of bloom players, all of which never go to PTs in order to keep their deck fringe.

>playing G/B tron, slamming fatties, living the 4-0 life every FNM
>facing new guy, not sure what he's on
>turns out to be UW control
>4 maindeck GQ & Spreading Seas
>4 Sea's Claim in the side
>mfw
This just happened to me a few hours ago. Not sure how I feel about it.

It basically was a secret society.

The only deck that has gained popularity recently that wasn't played in a PT is UR storm, and that's because a card was recently printed for it. Bloom had nothing printed for it that made it better, it just got noticed. Yeah it deserved to be banned, but the reason it was banned was because more people were playing it and honestly I'm going to complain about pretty much anything until they unban preordain.

>The only deck that has gained popularity recently that wasn't played in a PT is UR storm
u wot?

Dredge, DSJ, and Eldrazi Tron immediately jump to mind.

woah what, you can't interact with lands that's illegal

You deserve everything you get Tronbabby, hope he crucibled ya good

Shit happens when you party naked.

Dredge literally had cathartic ruin AND prized amalgum printed for it. Deaths shadow was played in the last PT and eldrazi tron is played because of eldrazi aggro which definitely was part of the last PT.

>Dredge literally had cathartic ruin AND prized amalgum printed for it.
Yep, which weren't around for the last Modern PT. No moving the goalposts for you.
>Deaths shadow was played in the last PT
Nigger what? Death's Shadow Aggro and the Death's Shadow Jund / Grixis / etc. decks are vastly different beasts.
>eldrazi tron is played because of eldrazi aggro which definitely was part of the last PT.
Are you really this retarded or are you just pretending?

If you seriously think that if the last PT hadn't happened that we would see a meta filled with death's shadow and eldrazi then you are the retarded one. MAYBE eldrazi, but definitely not death's shadow.

>Yep, which weren't around for the last Modern PT. No moving the goalposts for you.
My whole argument is that he played a deck that already existed and got it noticed, not one that had a card recently printed for it that everyone was hyped about. I'm not moving the goalposts.

>If you seriously think that if the last PT hadn't happened that we would see a meta filled with death's shadow and eldrazi then you are the retarded one
Nope, still you.
>definitely not death's shadow
Yes, we would. You could argue about metagame share, but that shit would exist.
>My whole argument is that he played a deck that already existed and got it noticed
Quote: The only deck that has gained popularity recently that wasn't played in a PT is UR storm
Quote: If he did not play it a the PT, it would still be fringe.

Your entirely argument is that people only play what they see at PTs, which is demonstrably bullshit.

>Quote: The only deck that has gained popularity recently that wasn't played in a PT is UR storm
>Quote: If he did not play it a the PT, it would still be fringe.
Neither of these contradict the point that I made. Hint: Baral was recently printed
>Yes, we would. You could argue about metagame share, but that shit would exist.
Actually, you bringing up ds perfectly illustrates my point, how long did ds exist until it started getting played? and when did it start getting played? Directly after the PT.
>Your entirely argument is that people only play what they see at PTs, which is demonstrably bullshit.
Haha.

>If you seriously think that if the last PT hadn't happened that we would see a meta filled with death's shadow and eldrazi then you are the retarded one. MAYBE eldrazi, but definitely not death's shadow.
Eldrazitron had a significant presence on MTGO before the GP, and the new death's shadow lists were picking up as well. People aren't retards who never see new decks before they're played in a PT or GP, it's just you who lives in your little pro bubble.

>EDH poster

Get go and stay go

I play a shitload of pauper on mtgo and I have literally never seen that card played.

>Neither of these contradict the point that I made.
Yes actually, yes they do. I won't let you move the goalpost to a different point. Your point was specifically about PTs.
>Directly after the PT.
I dunno about you, but I don't recall seeing DSJ directly after the PT.
>Haha.
It is a laughable argument, yes.

>Honor
>Not Virtue

Boi. If user's (The one who wanted the event deck) plan to upgrade it then you should definitely add Bitter Blossom and Sorin, Solemn which means basically virtue > honor

Side note: The modern event deck is actually pretty decent overall if you just want to jump into/start playing Modern.
Like the only crap card it has in is Shrine of Loyal Legions

The eldrazi lists were, i'll give you that, but it was in response to broken cards being printed. I don't believe death's shadow was being played at all before the PT, although prove me wrong if I am wrong.

Again, I am not moving the goalposts, you just don't understand what I am trying to argue.