Just bought my first 40k Models

Hey there Veeky Forums I just bought my first models so I could learn how to paint. I bought this starter kit with three of the Emperor's finest.

My question is are the clippers, paint, and glue sold by games workshop worth it?

It's kind of overpriced but it does the job better than stuff that isn't designed for miniature painting.
Look up other brands that do the same products and compare.

Citadel paints are good enough, if expensive.

The glue, clippers, and brushes are literally all shit you can buy at Walmart or Hobby Lobby. GW's clippers like, what, $12 or $13? You can get the exact same shit at Walmart in the crafting aisle for $3. Same deal with brushes. And the super glue you'll use to put your dudes together.

Just buy some cheap acrylic paint and LEARN TO MIX COLORS

Games workshop selling you 50 different colors is the biggest scam on the face of the earth. Get red, yellow, blue, white, black and see how far you get. Then go buy 4 or 5 more colors. That's IT. NOTHING ELSE.

Clippers and glue are not. Just get small wire cutters at any hardware store, and get plastic glue from any hobby shop, like around the section where they sell model cars and stuff.

The paint from gw is actually good and easy to use for beginners especially since their YouTube channel has easy painting guides by the patron saint of WIP himself, Duncan Rhodes. Primer for you models can be any spray flat primer you get from a hardware store.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

Fuck off. You don't need to buy GW paints but do not buy cheap acrylics for model painting. Every one of you idiots believe you've found a cheat, but all your painting looks like shit and you can't see it because it was only 50c a bottle.

There are gw alternatives, like Vallejo, army painter, reaper, P3, whatever, but cheap craft store acrylics are not an alternative. They're thick with low pigments and have terrible coverage.

>Color consistency
>A scam

Poorfag detected, it's not even something only GW does.

do you even know that acrylics are water based? you thin them out dipshit, just like GW does before they sell them to you.

>not being so good you can wing it most of the time
>not having detailed mixing notes for when you can't

You're an idiot if all you think the difference between cheap craft acrylics and miniature paints are just water content. But if you're cool with your minis looking like shitty prepainted heroclix figures from China, then good for you. But don't try convincing others it's the same thing.

Post pictures of your minis if you are certain that the quality of the paint is good then. Currently I find the claim that craft store acrylics are no worse than modeling acrylics hard to believe.

What's to stop him from posting something painted with miniatures paints and claiming it was done with cheap acrylics?

There's a reason no expert or commission painter does it.

>Asking entry-level painters to paint their whole army consistently while mixing colours

It's stupid on so many levels

Using cheap acrylics is recommended on most terrain projects though because it would fine for that and large areas gets expensive with mini paints. So I have a collection of cheap acrylics for that, but never again will they touch my minis.

t. certified retard
Dude, where's the link to your youtube channel, twitter and patreon? I need more of you, I mean, if a guy felt that the wip general, 40k general or the aos general weren't good enough it has to be someone special

>My question is are the clippers, paint, and glue sold by games workshop worth it?

Dont buy the barrel drills. Their overpriced. I got most of my prep stuff from the hardware store. But the thing i use most is a nail clipper. The glue i actually do buy from GW.

Oh, and if you dont buy citidel paints... well everything else is inferior, even other games ranges use them. Their paints are actually one of the finest products they sell apart from the lore itself.
You want your blood red to look blood red afterall. You want your shining gold to look gold and your warlock purple to look warlocky. Accept no substitute.

But Vallejo does sell better metallics with their liquid gold and metal color ranges. Really the only place where GW gets ahead of the competition would be with their washes.

>glue
Personally I have used a lot of glues and prefer the current GW glue. Works fast, stays solid but not too strong.

>Clippers
Fuck no. Their clippers are like $33 buckaroos. Beware the $6 walmart ones, get ones with an actual spring and not just a wire. Any clipper will do the job, even nail clippers, but the wire-spreader ones will break every few months/years.

>paints
Arguable. I like GW's paints as they are vibrant and just plain high quality, but you can set a GW painted mini next to a Vallejo painted mini and not notice a difference, especially for darker colors. GW really shines on pinks/Cyans/other really bright, saturated colors, so if you want a dark/gritty look don't bother with GW but if you want your demons flamboyantly pink I would consider it.

>Brushes
NEVER FUCKING EVER MOST OVERPRICED JUNK THERE IS

GW paints are good, but I would say their metallics are inferior to, say, Vallejo. However their washes are the best I've used of any brand so far. But GW metallics are not bad, by any means. I do wish their paints came in droppers, that's something most other companies have over them. Even their air paints come in pots, wtf?

Your best bet for supply is getting Army Painter stuff. Discount Games in the US, Wayland in UK. Their most expensive brush is still less than $6

Hey geedubs, when are you going to release a death battletome?