>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Vallejo-Game-Color-Heavy-Ochre-X-Opaque-Paint-17-ml-Val-72150-/272096746398
youtube.com/watch?v=9gXZA98d4do&feature=youtu.be&t=153
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reposting my answer to the guy who wants to magnetize his Contemptor Dread

So wip, i'm working on a tech priest dominus. Tell me how to thin my paints.

From what I can tell, the gold looks good and shiny, but ... I think I'd like a little more data in your pictures. Are you posting from a potato?

yeah my phone died when i tired to take one picture. i used brassy brass from the vallejo line and just finished giving it a small highlight of bright bronze. taken by my potato tablet.

I can't imagine how big primaris marines will be beside old guard sculpts now. Even the normal marines tower over then a fair bit.

Anyways, what are you guys working on?

Guys

For faces I've been using cadian flesh tone and then agrax earthshade, followed by a touch up of cadian fleshtone again.

What is a better choice? Is there a better option for a flesh color? What base should I use?

Tech priest dominus, with less potato

The Duncan Rhodes tutorials usually tell you to base with bugman's glow and then go over it with cadian fleshtone.

That's coming along well. You might want to clean up the metal bits a bit and add some highlights to them.

Making a Deathwatch Veteran character for possible Deathwatch Campaigns. I used extra bits I had from my tactical marine sets and some bits I got online and from my friend who plays Deathwatch. He's going to be a Black Templar because that's the army I play.
Any tips for when I start painting?

Back

>I can't imagine how big primaris marines will be beside old guard sculpts now. Even the normal marines tower over then a fair bit.

Don't worry.
I'm sure when the get around to MILITARUM TEMPESTUS OCTANUS and do new models for the Guard that will also tower over your Templars, because the fundamental reason behind Primaris Marines is mostly just the same scale bloat that's basically been going on for years.

Fucking love custom character minis. Can we see him on his chapter-shoulder side?

Question: you doing brush or airbrush? How detailed you looking to go?

I don't own an airbrush so I brush. I'm not going for GW level detail, but I want to do some edge highlighting.
The chapter pauldron is just blank right now since I couldn't manage to get any Black Templars Pauldrons. I have an Imperial Fists pauldron that I may end up using instead.

I've always wanted to make a waaagh tower and found a good 3d printed metal tower on ebay at a decent price. Almost done with the base.

If you want a basic, good black, just basecoat with black, skip any washes, and then edge highlight with a mid/dark grey. Then go in with a light grey and pick out some sharp corners to add more pop.

If you want to get a little fancier, mix black with some dark grey and use that as your basecoat, and wash with black before doing the rest. Gives a slightly deeper black.

Other parts are standard painting fare, but I imagine you'll be doing a lot of black. Good luck!

Thanks. My main army is Black Templars, so I have some experience with painting black, but having advice always helps.

Thanks to the anons that suggested more washes to make my Iron Warriors look less flat.

>my phone camera has great enough resolution to show what a shitshow this model looks like ultra close up
>colour balance is so fucked I have to make whites and greys look blue for the steel and brass to look right

Those cheap little lightboxes you see on amazon and ebay aren't so bad. They're only plastic folding little jobbies but they get the job done well enough. The lights built into them are surprisingly strong - even with the black background they almost wash out my photos!
Oh well, now everyone can at least see just how poorly I paint. Should be fun for the whole family.

the lighbox may have added a couple of coats huh

Camera actually. Didn't you know it always adds ten pounds?
He's the first model I've painted since learning the basics of painting. While he's FAR from the best, I kind of want to keep him as is just as a reminder of how far I've come once I improve.
All I have to do now is actually and I'm golden!
If you wanna see some really thin paints, you should check pic related. It's the first model I painted BEFORE learning the basics.

Progress update on magnetized Skulltaker / Juggernaut. Base /bases is/are finished, juggernaut body is pretty much finished. Still paint the juggernaut's head and collar and glue them on, paint the Skulltaker, glue / pin the Juggernaut to the base centerpiece, glue / pin the Skulltaker to the juggernaut, spray on some laquer, and do the flame effects on the lava.

you havent seen a thicc model yet.. here are some of my thiccboyes

Working on a DAK paint scheme for my DKK. Here's a test model.

Damnit.

I got a rhino that was already painted, and thankfully it's not thicc. If anything, it's in need of another coat. However, it's the wrong color. Can I just spray chaos black over it? Also, if I wanted to add some chaos shit like spikes, I should scrap the paint of first, right?

I like the scheme bruv but that astartes bolt pistol is just too huge

Soon these cunts of Dale will be at the very least passable for the tabletop.
Just gotta do the moustaches, shield details, clean up armor spilling, then cloak-work, the arrows, actually they're nowhere near passable at all.

ISO: A guide or tips for a simple and quick Khador 'jack scheme using a white primer. I'm using Vallejo Game colors and this will be my first model in 10 years and approximately third model overall.

Not knocking your painting but those guys look ass. What was Jackson thinking?

>have a shit ton of resin bits for legion
>having to clean every single bit is beyond off-putting
>they've been sitting in soap water for like a month because it's daunting

Which kind of Legion are we talking about here?

I hope you mean dish soap and nothing heavy duty. I left resin in diluted degreaser for four days a couple weeks ago, and it came out with a "sweaty" layer of some sort of byproduct that won't wash off.

>I left resin in diluted degreaser for four days a couple weeks ago
why tho? Also not him, but i sue just normal soap you would use to wash hands and it works perfectly.

Night Lords

It's just normal dish soap. Nothing super crazy. I just have a lot of bits. It's at least 2 full sets of torsos/heads/shoulders, plus recast versions of the old metal ones, plus their legion weapons, plus special weapons, ect. Admittedly, part of the problem is that I don't know what sort of lost in looking at yet.

I'd recommend a thin undercoat of black or a dark red over the primer, then a base coat of Bloody Red, then another thin glaze of dark red to fill in the shadows and panel lines. Finish it off by mixing Bloody Red with a bright yellow to highlight the edges of the armor panels. Use gunmetal for weapons and mechanical parts, and black highlighted with grey for secondary color panels.

If you'd rather step away from the studio scheme, look up "Soviet armor" and pick some earthy greens to fit.

It was secondhand, and the primer was really thick in the crevices. I figured a longer soak would loosen that and weaken the glue at the same time.

Turns out degreaser also heavily oxidizes the surface of bare white metal in about 36 hours, though I still can't tell if the discoloration is accompanied by any structural effects.

I like the piss filter you're using. Nice, healthy yellow.

Is there any company that makes a yellow that coats worth a damn? I bought an Army Painter box set and none of the yellows are worth shit. All the other colors - especially the metallics - are awesome, but the yellows may as well be glazes.

carcharodon contemptor, just got the front piece done working on the claw next

do you guys think if i paint the assault cannon panels red itll look cool?
i just want some sort of red on him

Yellows are always quite translucent, same goes for many reds, it's just how those pigments are, so what you're looking for is an initial coat of a matte, super high pigment yellow, followed by layers of the yellow you want.

As for which colours are suited for that, the Vallejo Game Color Heavy paints should be good as a base (there is no Heavy Yellow, but Gold Brown may be suitable), I haven't used the "new" GW Base paints enough to have an idea how good they are at their job, but their "old" Foundation range was great for it as well.

Something like this?

ebay.com/itm/Vallejo-Game-Color-Heavy-Ochre-X-Opaque-Paint-17-ml-Val-72150-/272096746398

exactly that, yes.
That Ochre will give you a nice base for your far more translucent normal yellows to go over.

Working on a Shield-Captain with Solarite Talons. What do you guys think of the pose and the weapons?
Also, turns out making a cape from greenstuff is hard as balls.

As tips go, just watch Duncan's tutorial. He even painted it a Black Templar.

Just watch Duncan period. He will lead you to the promised land of Thinned Paints and Smooth Coats.

Bear-mode engaged.

Love the pose. Hope you superglued or sticky-tacked that left arm, because painting around it is gonna be a bitch and a half.

Painted up this dumb little fellow. Stupid tiny goblins.

Man, I wish I could paint in the Gaping Planar Void. The lighting must be incredible.

I always go with a smooth base of cadian followed bei a wash of reikland. Rehighlight with cadian and finsih with a highlight of kislev

A pure white backdrop might be a bit much on such a bright model.

Head, arms, claws, legs and base are only fixed with a tiny aount of glue so i can pull it apart easy for basecoating and painting. I *loathe* painting fully-assembled models with that much detail.
Not that I am good enough a painter to really justify that...

thats way better thanks m8

It's a good habit to get early.

You can print it out and use it

>mfw too big for lightbox

Superbe user

Get that shit outta here.

>tfw never be this good because can't afford good hobby supplies.

;~;

Does any of you know some tutorials for highlighting black with an airbrush. i wanna paint up some raven guard and do more then just edge highlighting (and i'm not that good at it)

like that -> youtube.com/watch?v=9gXZA98d4do&feature=youtu.be&t=153

I should finish mine

Fookin' noice

Is it true that in order to prime with some of the more exotic sprays (Leadbelcher etc). You have to first prime it with one of the more standard colours like black or white?

I swear I heard that before, but I want to verify before Fucking up my new skitarii.

Finished I think. Might give it another matt coat and then pick out the glossy bits again because it's all gone on a little sloppily.

Noice. Really nice. I love how naturally painterly your models look.

Neato.

The brood grows...

good shit, man!

man, I wish I could do mine as colorful as yours. I tried once with two nurglings, following your given steps and it just doesn't look the same. Pic related was the result

I have begun work on one of my Heralds though, going with what I know.

I'm doing a shitty little mini guide now that I've finished. It's difficult to explain it well without a video though because the main colour is all put on in one go. Unfortunately Papa Nurgle has blessed me with an abscess on my arm so I'm off to the doctors now, I'll finish and post it later most likely.

Your herald conversion is good though.

>I'm doing a shitty little mini guide now that I've finished
thank you, user. Nugle bless!

>Your herald conversion is good though
appreciate it.

gorgeous. just slightly shiny, but not full gloss. what are you varnishing them with?

I honestly wonder how often someone with nose gauges that large have to deal with sinus infections...

I honestly wonder how they get jobs to pay for that shit.

Its called welfare user.

hopefully they get protection from the lord of decay

I sure as fuck can't afford shit like that on welfare.
Then again it's not like real tatoo shops will do face ink so it's probably DIY.

Pledge floor polish and mig matte acrylic varnish. Might use something else than might when the bottle runs out as I'm not convinced by it but it has a lovely feel to the touch.

or, more likely, he works at the kind of tattoo shop that *does* do face ink. fucking yourself up that bad is a vocation, and people like that tend to be so far inside the scene that they actually *are* the scene.

Guess that migh vary, here though in above the collar and past the wrist is illegal and carries fine, permanent revocation of license for the artist and invalidated medical insurance claims for the recipient.

Just wrapped up the first chunks of my warband. Pretty plebby thus far, got plenty to go yet.

Love it. Great work on such a tiny fucking model.

I just did the background

Well, then great work on the background for such a tiny fucking model!

That dwarveaboos should look like mongols.

Did some drums tonight, anything I can do to improve them? I tried my best to make it look like they were leaky on top, but I have no idea how to get an iridescent effect.

Wish I had some advice for the leakiness, but I will say you got the weathered, rusted look down nicely

My Mek did well last game so I upgraded his kustom mega slugga

You can try to drip layer some different washes

You can just use some watered down gloss varnish or even the gloss versions of nuln oil/ agrax toi achieve that effect pretty nicely.

nice trips
Whats the preferred varnish for minis in general? I haven't picked any up yet and saw someone posted a guide about liquitex stuff, but I can't remember the specific if it was gloss or not.

made this, main goal was to make it cheap (yes, it uses 3D printed parts, but they themselves are cheap as well). Now just need to decorate the base somehow and paint it, though I don't know what paints and only have a slight idea for a paint style.

>tfw sorting out your bits boxes into food tubs for separate projects
>found two Chaos Hell Blades flyers in a box together, enough Rogue Trader and 2nd Ed Terminators for a decent force, and a metal Grail Reliquae

Many thanks, dude. I'm sticking with the studio scheme until I get character 'jacks and advanced 'casters.

>finally calculated all the costs to get my tools and paints
>Its going to be at least $300 all up

Ive tried to take the bargain bin route where i can but dont want to cheap out on shit paints and brushes.

Never thought it would be so much back when looking at miniatures themselves, and they are expensive enough already.

Angels of redemption razorback. Tracks aren't done yet but I think mostly everything else is. How is it looking?

Nice! STLs for the trusses somewhere?

Are you just starting out or is this for a particular project or something?

Sometimes I think I should bin everything I have and start again, I feel like I'm limiting myself by being a "paintbrush" guy whilst others are getting good quick results with airbrushes, hairspray, washes etc.