Secret Hitler

Have you guys ever played secret hitler? Seems fun.
I dont know if I should buy it or not.
game explanation:
youtube.com/watch?v=vNxfqNDArPk

I recommend it. I played three games with friends and we liked it. It is similar to resistance but with more plausible explanations for acting like a bad guy. I ordered a copy online.

Great party game, but only really fun if there's at least 8 of you.

I really liked it. I have a lot of similar games but I think I might like it the best out of these sorts of hidden roles games. The rules could use a rewrite for clarity, but the game itself is great.

its fun if you can get enough people for it

It's pretty good user, I like it alot.

>Same writing each post
>One liner positive feedback
Reeks of samefag autopromoting his game.
I wouldn't mind you promoting a game if you didn't pretend to be something you are not. Next time just post "Hey guys we made a game, please check it out".

Its interesting how some people on this anonymous traditional games image board will readily believe that the people that post about traditional games are part of a malicious conspiracy of merchants.

That somehow seems relevant to the game in question, doesn't it /pol/

I've played it a few times.
Always ends up with people yelling over the table.
With like, 2 people never knowing what's going on, and playing into other people's hands.

I once had this super crazy game where I was Hitler and one of my fascist homies publicly called me out on being a fascist, then acted moderately sketchy, so that they eventually shot her, they'd think I was innocent. Risk paid off.

As someone designing a board game, rules can always use a rewrite for clarity.

I literally have trouble sleeping at night trying to solve the problem of writing a ruleset short enough to be read that also is unambiguous

>10 unique posters
No user, you are the Secret Samefag.

>Secret Hitler

Is it like Secret Santa? You draw names from a hat, and everybody gasses everybody, but you don't know who's gassing you?

God damn this is too true.

I've been working on a game for almost a year now and the rules were almost unreadable at first due to me striving to make them completely unambiguous.

Even though we have a publisher that's enthusiastic about our game, I still get the feeling sometimes that it's terrible and what I've written makes no sense.

Trying to write effective rules only gets worse when you realise that most players will never read them all the way through, even if they're only a couple of pages.

Two major things I've learned:

You can't write rules without constant feedback.

Even if they have a reading age of 7, the feedback you get is never incorrect.

its a blast, but my only problem sometimes is gathering enough people to play, because its a minimum of five but its way more fun the more players you have.

I have played it on TTS and thought it was pretty good.
Although I haven't seen hitler be elected yet.

I have it and have played it several times. It's an absolute blast when you get enough people together to play it. But it can be hard to gather 5+ people that are all in to playing it. And ideally, you want at least 7 to get the best experience.

It is objectively better than Mafia or Werewolf or whatever other hidden role games are out there today. Eliminating people from the game doesn't happen until much later, keeping everyone engaged throughout the session. One of my friends laments that he's always the first one killed in Mafia, so he loves Secret Hitler because he can stay in the game longer.

Don't play it with Germans
Literally every single one will do a Hitler impersonation because they can all do it for some reason.

But it is genuinely a great game.
Its like all the fun of arguing without actually losing your friends.

Best social deduction game on the market. 7+ players for optimal experience can be a turn off for some though. If youre willing to put in some work you can print the game for free and make a decent set. I used mtg cards and sleeves

I've tried it a few times. It's fun enough, but feels like it gets old pretty quickly.

There are modern hidden role games without eliminations. The Resistance (or the Avalon version of it) is pretty boss as one of those games. It's a game with five rounds where you have to assign teams of varying sizes and hope you don't have a traitor in that team. The later rounds get intense as fuck as you have to actually find out all of the bad guys for the good guys to win.
Saboteur has card playing and board building in it, which makes for a shitload of salt. It's a game about dwarves trying to mine their way to get a gold nugget by playing route cards, while the players with saboteur roles try to stop that. Especially salty if you have two good guy teams competing with each other.

Secret Hitler itself is pretty cool but after the newness factor wore out, Resistance is still better than it in my opinion. The only thing Secret Hitler has over it is the randomization of the voting cards.

7 is actually the number where Hitler no longer knows who the fascists are. The only difference between 7 and 8 players is whether or not a fascist majority is possible.

It's a pretty great game, having many different win conditions for both sides really makes it more interesting.

One of the more annoying things about it though is the app which talks you through the beginning where the fascists recognise each other etc is voiced by Wil Wheaton, and contains some of the most idiotic phrases I've ever heard.

Highlights include:
>Place your thumb back into your thumb bunker.
>Whatever flowers bloom during the nightime in Germany... Are blooming. Smell them now.
>Hitler! Keep your thumb up. Perhaps wiggle it, as if thumb wrestling. Fascists, swear fealty to Hitler, and his thumb.
>Hitler! Return your thumb to your Hitler-hole....

I have a group of friends who love this kind of social deduction game, and Secret Hitler is currently top dog amongst them for us.

We used to love The Resistance and so on, but even that with all its interesting variants kinda loses out when the core mechanic for disseminating information is so much less interesting. I kinda hope we see an expansion in future, with special roles or optional mechanics to change things up.

Had the opportunity to play with a group of 10 at a party. Was tons of fun.

Much superior to Resistance and Coup. I was very skeptical before playing because i don't care for the aforementioned but the additional rules/game dynamics improve the experience. I like that you can win, on either side, using strategies that don't require ruining friendships. Also cartoon reptiles in uniform are funny.

Yeah, I've always just called out the orders myself since it's easier. All you need is someone who won't alter the dialogue or give any change of inflection based on what role they are.

Let's not forget that each side has two wincons, which I really think is a big boost over a lot of other hidden role games.

There's arguably a fifth, hidden wincon, in certain group sizes- Achieving a fascist majority, or at least eliminating enough of the group that you can stall it out.

I have, it was great. Lovely presentation, good innovation off the back of Resistance.

>I liked Resistance
Odds are you'll really like this
>iDisliked Resistance for predictability
Somewhat solved, wOrth a closer look
>I disliked Resistance due to the hidden role premise
This is more of the same.

I think like most people here I think it is better than resistance
Mainly because it is less balanced

There is heavy rubber-banding which means it is sort of unfair and you can't really play it competitively. But it also means most games end close and everyone always has a chance.

>voiced by Wil Wheaton

It's like if the Resistance had mechanics, and was a game

>because they can all do it for some reason.
I wonder what that could be

It's the best hidden role game I've played yet. Efficient use of time and phases, but it still leaves a lot of room for cheeky bickering and discussion and accusations in between each step. In my experience it scales quite well, too.
There are Star Wars and Jojo themed versions on Tabletop Simulator if you want your table talk to be even weirder and more specific, which makes the experience a lot more varied than you would probably at first think. Still not as fun as playing in person, but fun all the same.

>Reeks of samefag autopromoting his game.
It's already a pretty big success and its name is a huge free publicity generator (plus there's that time where they sent copies to a bunch of politicians, that got them tremendous buzz). They don't need Veeky Forums for fuck-all.

if it makes you feel any better it made my day feel a little better knowing at least one person gives a shit about rulebooks for playing pretend being readable.

yeah. on tabletop simulator.

Secret Hitler is pretty good as far as it goes; the rules are very short and comprehensive. But as a result of course it means they are too specific to be clear.

Conveniently, there are not that many rules, and each rule is clear and specific. It is difficult to follow the game from the rulebook but I have yet to have a player not understand the rules pretty much entirely by halfway through the first game.

The specificity makes them child-unfriendly, but because this is a game of lying and social deduction, it's a very bad game for people under at least 14 to play.

Hitler being elected seems to be the most common way by the time your group has played more than 4-5 games and understands the social mechanics of it.

Hitler getting elected is the earliest someone can win, so it has more chance of coming up.

Liberal policy win takes a very long time, because by the time they have three policies down you have to discard 2-3 entire hands just to get a Liberal card while half the table is trying to stop you.

Fascist policy victory is almost impossible without taking risks that reveal who Fascists are, so unless you are lucky or manipulative enough to gt only Liberals shot, you don't have the power to do it safely.

Liberal kill-Hitler victory is very difficult because it can only happen after it's possible for Hitler to win, and requires not only a Liberal player to get the bullet, but to have correctly deduced who Hitler is, and to weather the shitstorm that commences whenever the bullet comes up.

Whereas every card after 3 Fascist is a potential Hitler victory and sooner or later it is going to happen. Elect Hitler victory is the only one that can happen by itself by the Fascists just keeping their heads down; it is both likelier and has more chances to occur. By design, because the game is most tense when every election could be a total disaster or total victory and everyone is shouting.

I didn't even know there was an app. It's much easier to just read it yourself, and someone should be running the game in person anyway.

Don't these guys have enough money to hire someone more interesting than Wil Wheaton to voice it?

Resistance is very group-dependant, I find. It can be quite good, but if anyone in your group is not into it, it sucks. Whereas Secret Hitler is much simpler and more cartoony, so it is much easier for people to get into.

My LGS started selling fake Chinese copies of the game that are made of different flimsier materials and are sometimes even missing cards. Be careful when ordering.

It's essentially an enhanced version of werewolf or mafia.
Bang! is the most interesting looking to me. SH gets shilled a lot because it's riding off the combined force of Cards Against Humanity and Hitler's infamy.

I once played it while at an Icelandic work camp where there was no interenet and no printers and I didn't actually have the game with me so I cut up A4 sheets to replicate all the cards from memeory.

It was pretty fun despite most of the people I played with seemingly having difficulties grasping the rules of the game.