/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

Halo Fleet Battles/Ground Command edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

homebrew systems are welcome

last thread

Thread question, with the released of the Phoenix- class support ship (the spirit of fire) the constant support for HGC and their work on DW and lately FSA is SG finally improving anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/GBHLPodcast
games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey-EN
warhammerdigital.com/Home/Faqs.html
warhammerdigital.com/Home/Free-downloads.html
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/18/battle-report-gundabad-vs-dol-amroth-may18/
emeraldcoastskunkworks.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/full-thrust-project-continuum
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Has anyone ever done an EVE wargame?

I feel like the interesting part about wars in EVE is the politics, actual EVE combat is kinda dull.

Halo Ground Command seriously needs a 28mm skirmish size.

A tabletop wouldn't be any more boring than any other wargame.

Good unit diversity. You could stick to the computer game's archtypes and what they're usually used for (tackling, etc) and modify different ships' payloads for different situations.

They have said that they won't because the videogame already "fills" that niche and that 15mm let's them units like the scarab which is supposed to be released in the summer (but with the delays it probably won't be ready until the fall)

In regards to the SBG discussion last thread, this channel is good for beginners. Loads of battle reports and list/tactics discussion.

youtube.com/user/GBHLPodcast

That is some upsetting news. I was dreaming of something nice with 3-4 different troop types and heroes being individual units alone.

Large vehicles are the worst part of Halo.

The facebook group is extremely good for discussion and list talk. and people who can get to WHW are usually happy to buy and post the exclusives they have up there.

I'd say they're right on this - 28mm's too big for more than 2-3 vehicles on the table tops, 6mm's too small to make the infantry look good, so you're looking at 10mm or 15mm, and the Spartan focus means 15mm.

Large vehicles, fuck those, but at 15mm you can get a bunch of bikes and a couple of warthogs and give them a nice big area to drive around.

Source: I way playing kinda-Halo years ago with GZG New Israelis as Spartans.

Never been a fan of vehicles, probably why I want larger sizes and no one else does lol. Very sad but understandable.

Let my friend to use some of my Uruk-hai as summoned Bloodthirsters. But how is the Lotr game? And what's a good Uruk-hai force look like?

Good, the Uruk-Hai are extremely resilient. Defense 7 where most stuff have a Strength of 3.

Anyone else disappointed that the first version of the Longsword and the Seraph are going to be 1/300 instead of 1/150?

Uruk's are a very good starter force. high fight, strength defence and courage. you can afford to make mistakes with them and still win. you access to saruman, who is probably the best offensive wizard in the game for his lower cost.

in terms of composition, you'll want pikes, sword and board and crossbows lead by Vrasku. Saruman for higher points games, shamans for lower. the only big weakness it has is cavalry. you can make that up with warg riders or you could use mauhur, who is a scout captain that gives a movement boost to the scout unit he is with. good for catching an opponent off guard with.

Anyone still playing Dystopian Wars? I got ahold of a ton of French ships and then moved to a gaming desert 3 years ago.

Looks like Firestorm Armada's getting a new edition.

What space wargames are popular these days? Full Thrust kinda splintered into a dozen houserule systems, but I don't know of anything else that'd fit that niche well instead.

I wish we could get a 28mm skirmish game, just want to paint some marines and ODST.

Dropfleet Commander is doing well enough to have it's own thread, for what it's worth.

>summoned Bloodthirsters
>Bloodthirsters
I hope you mean bloodletters

How to properly simulate killing someone with fighter bombers while being anchored on a citadel 1000km away in perfect safety?

Speaking of pikes, the special rules for Easterlings regarding phalanxes used to piss me the fuck off considering you only got 2 in a box of 12.

Even the recent battle report on FW's website had replaced all the swords with third party brass spears.

Yeah, it would be cool, but Spartan Games is barely able to keep up with the load and 28mm really doesn't leave space for things like pelicans, I mean can you imagine how much cash a hunter or the warden eternal would cost on a 28mm game?

In SBG, is a Mordor army viable with Morannon Orcs?

I am, user. Well, would be. Moved to the middle of nowhere, tried starting a community for the game in the nearest city, but for reasons, I couldn't make the journey very often, and had to leave the club early when I did.

Still got my fleet, still getting the new stuff.

Nah, I left a good sized DW community three years ago, then mostly moved onto Infinity. Now the main Spartan game I play is Armada, which I prefer thanks to its streamlined rules compared to DW.

Seen the new ruleset? It's not as streamlined as Firestorm, but it's a damn sight less of a clusterfuck than DW2.0

very. most people build mordor with morannon orcs as the improved stats for just a slight increase over regular orcs is well worth taking.

>1/150
At first I was wondering why the fuck Spartan were releasing them in 6mm when they're for a 15mm game.

Then I realised they missed an opportunity to go full Spartan - you're right, 1/150 would be the perfect Spartan Games move! because that's basically 10mm, not 15mm

Talon is a board game, and kinda limited in ships until the expansion (just not-federation & not-klingons), but it's a beautiful stripped-down fast and simple ship-on-ship or small-fleet-on-small-fleet game that has the feel of SFB with a fraction of the time and effort.

I mean, the good bits of the feel of SFB.

Shit's genius.

>Ah, screw it. There might be some duplicates, but here's something.

>M3G4 dot EnZee
>/#F!d7Q3HaRZ!gTsKc-vYWTNa5th9EspwxQ

Quoting a post from the last PDF share thread, because holy shit, look in that SF games folder. The living rulebook to High Frontier, a boardgame I've long been interested in! OK, you could download that rulebook for free, and it's nowhere near what you need to play... but also ASAT: Orbital Combat, a spaceship wargame I've been eyeing on wargamevault for ages! Neat! Those two obscure games are cool and I'm eager to take a look at them.

Oh, and it has a couple of other games I'm sure no-one here has any interest in: attack vector: tactical, and saganami island tactical simulator

>ASAT: Orbital Combat
This game looks neat, by the way. It also has "hundreds of obsolete mig-21s" with their engines replaced by a rocket used as super-cheap low-tech orbital interceptors by nations that can't afford actual spaceships, which is fucking hilarious. "Rather than design a vacuum-capable cannon" they just modified the existing one to barely work, slapped on a couple of missiles, and get it into orbit by mounting it on the nose of a bigger rocket booster. Presumably it reenters and lands very carefully.

Gotta say, turning the page after seeing spaceships and killsats and seeing the diagram of a fucking mig-21 made me laugh.

the expansion has rules for nukes, torpedoes (which are unmanned fighter-sized things, one of the example fighters has a new variant that's the fighter attached to a torpedo the size and shape of the original fighter), the Itano (a fighter armed with only missiles, many many missiles), and a couple more non-spacecraft fighters upgraded into orbital fighters - the f-22 and su-53. I dunno, this game looks neat, I might print out the orbital map and give it a shot.

I'm trying to start a list for the hobbit SBG, with my first order having been some hunter orcs.
What should i pick up to help turn this into a small army? At the moment I'm eyeing Fell Wargs or Hunter Orcs on Fell Wargs, but Gundabad Orcs have some cool armor.

Well, I'd say whichever you like best...but I'd go for one of the warg-y options for speed.

I don't know the models well enough to like any particular model more than another, i am only just getting into the game. Does cavalry knockdown occur before strikes or after strikes?

Build and paint what you've got first, and expand only after that I'd say. Then you'll know if you like painting orcs enough, or just go for wargs solely.

I am not really in this for the hobby aspect, more than 75% of my miniatures are unpainted. Orcs and Wargs equally don't bother me since they are easier to paint and require a lower standard than the malifaux minis i own.

The OP has me wondering.

What are the best games and most complete miniature ranges for Starship based wargames?

What different ranges work well together?

I've got some old Starfleet Battles miniatures from back when I use to play that in high school and I wanted to find stuff I could use alongside them maybe. But I've also been looking at Full Thrust but can't find a scan of the rules anywhere so I'm uncertain.

Ground Zero Games make a lot of good stuff. Full Thrust's rules are available for free on their site.

Battlegroup Helios are good for not!BFG (as long as you like the Imperium)

Brigade have some older, but serviceable stuff

You can get a pack of several small (fighter-size) ships from em4 for almost nothing

FiveCore or Five Parsecs From Home?

I am playing sci-fi, but would rather save the shekels.

Firestorm Armada has a pretty sizeable range of miniatures but they're generally quite pricy and bloody huge, which means you need a massive table for big fleets. 15cm plus battleships look nice and are fun to paint but if your idea of space war is massive formations of capital ships and space semicircles, you need an 8x6 table to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions, usually my idea of cool space combat is very traditionally Naval with a bunch of different races with unique ship designs. Firestorm looks cool, I'm content with starting with Squadron level engagements rather than huge fleets on the table. Probably gonna start there.

When you casually summon 8 Bloodthirsters.

Finished Nikodemus I've mentioned in last thread I think.

Pretty happy how he turned out, only problem is, I got like...one or two other Brotherhood figures and that's it.

Spartan's rules are pretty ropey in places and have serious balance issues, I'd advise probably using Full Thrust rules and just statting the various ships.

The models are incredibly nice though.

Well, congratulations user, it's really beautiful. You did a wonderful job.

As for your problem, well, do you have other Warzone armies or nothing at all?

Thanks for the tips.

This general is very under appreciated.

Well you need FiveCore to play Five Parsecs.

Thanks.

I don't have any Brotherhood minis. Have everything else except for Tribes of Earth.

You could always use him as Inquisitor Majoris Hano Hamilkar and add him to your corporation's armies.
Or you could buy a Brotherhood starter from Prodos, but he would be kinda out of place.

And it can't mirror the adrenaline rush of eve combat because in a sit-down wargame, nothing is at stake.

so it needs a drinking game on top

Is post-apoc becoming too crowded of a genre? I've seen quite a bit of it popping up lately.

How tall are the Spartan figures for Halo? I know their 15mm scale, but given that Spartans are 7+ feet tall, I'm wondering if they could be used for conversions for 28mm.

So a quick question for people who play the LoTR SBG. Do people still play Dwarves? How are they played? I used to play Erabor Dwarves with lots of Khazad Guard, Iron dudes (the ones with the 2 hand weapons), like 2 boxes of dwarf warriors, Gimli and Balin I think.

Cheers for the info dudes!

user, that's a silly thought.

A 28mm figure is about twice the size of a 15mm figure.

Even if a spartan is taller than an ordinary dude, the model isn't going to be more than 20mm foot to top of head.

There's no way you're going to be able to mix it with 28mm stuff.

I figured as much, but given how weird proportions can get I figured it was worth a shot.

i played recently some LOTR and fell in love with the game system. We played the scenario from Balin' Tomb and it was just amazing fun. I want to get into this game and got for cheap some mordor orcs and heroes. But the books and rules seem to be organized in a huge clusterfuck. What is the current rules version ? what lists are accepted ? is there a book that reunites stuff or do i need to track down many individual supplements and books ? How do I go about this Veeky Forums ?

>What is the current rules version?
The current ruleset is this:
games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey-EN

>is there a book that reunites stuff or do i need to track down many individual supplements and books ?
I'm afraid you'll have to start tracking down supplements and books, especially if you want to play LotR armies (you'll need the "blue cover" versions of the armybooks).

You coul always visit the trove on this very general and download: the fallen realms, the free peoples, moria and angmar, mordor, kingdom of men, mini rulebook from goblintown. Then, you could go to warhammerdigital.com/Home/Faqs.html and download the FAQs and the file named "Heroes and Villains of Middle-Earth" (it contains profiles and point costs for a bunch of Hobbit releases), then warhammerdigital.com/Home/Free-downloads.html and download "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies".

thanks kind annon

>metal orcs in the background
>GW won't reissue them in Failcast

I'd even pay for those ;_;

I have no idea but I think all the old LotR armies suffered in the Hobbit power creep.

If you're looking to get back into the game, FW are re-branding and re-balancing everything as the Middle-Earth SBG in the very near future.

Actually, all the blue source books you need to play the old armies are available on GW under the Hobbit - books, FW reissued them.

So all you need is the Hobbit rulebook and the source book for your chosen army.

What happened to warpath? It was hyped for some time and considered to have decent rules and models and then suddenly everybody stopped caring.

Yes, they are on Games Workshop's site, I forgot to mention it.

Not really. Most of the hobbit armies are actually somewhat weaker vs the legacy armies.

Well when you look at the tournament lists half of them are Goblin town armies and the other half are Azog.

Actually most of them are wraiths on fellbeasts and golden king with reavers if you want to go meta.

So you mean you must add a global campaign to it with players warring for control over the galaxy? A tabletop Expand/Exploit/Exterminate.

Is Adam Troke's army any good in this battle report? He looses by a small margin but it doesn't seem that competitive.

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/18/battle-report-gundabad-vs-dol-amroth-may18/

Really nice looking army on the table and pretty cheap to buy as well.

not really. Gandalf the white is considered the worst wizard in the game and he has no shooting. it was a fluffy list, but nowhere near competetive.

Is the "Escape from goblin town" box worth getting? At first i didn't want it but now looking at it again it actually seems pretty fun and would basically let me set up the hobbit narrative games since i have all the dwarves, bilbo and the two wizard nerds.
Goblin Town is good? Does it use the goblin king? He seems pretty fucking cool.

The box set is good, but is more for setting you up for narrative and campaign play. if you want to army build, you're better off getting the blue army book and core rule book seperately.

Eh, i think narrative and campaign play could be fun!
I'm planning to build a dol guldur list for my actual army but nazgul of dol guldur aren't available yet, so perhaps i would have more fun building some azogs hunters, getting escape from goblin town and the trolls so i can do narrative play with friends.

I'm just picturing in my mind an Azog's legion guy who's strategy revolves around that special rule where Bolg gets stronger the more scrubs he kills, but the enemy brought just fellowship.

Are Thorin's Company/Fellowship lists any good anyway?

Not really, as strong as they are 4 models are not going to stand up to 40, or not do so while trying to claim objectives.

All hero's lists can be very strong. they play on the fact they're very hard to thin down due to the abundance of might and fate points. however once the numbers do start to drop, or the points run out, is when they start to get swarmed. it's basically a race to finish the game before that happens.

How are Radagast and Gandalf the Grey in their hobbit incarnations?
Radagast looks pretty sweet if you toss him one of his mounts, though obviously pricey as fuck. Is Radagast + Eagles a legit list?

Ok then. Do I need Five Parsecs?

Nah. You may want it, but the base game is a ton of fun.

Gandalf and Radagast are decent. Radagast on his eagle usually sees play as he's the only caster good has that can fly as opposed to evil who can have up to 9 with the wraiths.

Fell beasts are fun.

I like you guys. I want to share something with you.

A couple of years ago, I adapted most of the Homeworld ships to Full Thrust, for my group at the time to play with. Then I had a kid, so opportunities for playtesting were pretty limited, but in the handful of sessions we had it worked pretty well.

Compared to typical FT stuff, everything is immensely durable (~50% mass is hp) and far more specialized. Lasers/grasers/k-guns maps directly into guns/ion beams/missiles.

pic is the HW1 heavy cruiser. Four ion beams (grasers) facing forward, some heavy guns (lasers), a shitload of health. Will rape anything slow, but very vulnerable to fighters.

Would anyone be interested if I were to zip up the lot?

Which of these book would have the army of the dead?

Anyone here interested "The Legend of the Fabled Realms" by 4Grounds? Looks quite good and unique fantasy wise as far as settings go. It has a card system, Active/Reactive Phases like infinity, but sadly unique dice sytem.

Really interested in the game and was hoping for /awg/'s opinions.

Kingdoms of men, under Fiefdoms.

Thank you!

Not exactly, no. I'll try to keep mind and eyes open, but custom dice, cards, the "off-grey wardens" factions against the "slightly obscure spawn", the "Mordanburg guard" and the unit-vs-unit fight in a skirmish game don't exactly thrill me I'm afraid.

Best version of Full Thrust, expanded by community with enough building rules to play in almost any universe with any ships:-
emeraldcoastskunkworks.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/full-thrust-project-continuum

Mucho recommendo

You need both, and definitely worth the shekels, goyim

I would. I did it myself in maths classes but never actually tried them out, and then lost the excercise book.
Now I have money I might even buy some shapeways models

What if I swapped him for another Wizard, can an all Swan Knight list work?

The HAlO game we want to hear about is the Female Spartan and AI Chick table top game

you can swap him for Gandalf the Grey. who is considered top tier with Saruman. and fortunately they brought back original mounted Gandalf, so he's easy to get. You can run all swan knights, but it's like any elite cavalry list, you'll dominate in charges, but if you get bogged down, weight of numbers will pull you apart.

oh and an addendum, GW haven't brought back foot knights for Dol Amroth yet and they're a pig to get hold of second hand. so you'll have to convert or find some proxies for dismounts for now.

Just get Scotia Grendel's Swordsmen of the West, they are old LotR models. Have more poses, an actual command, look decent, and they don't cost GW-money.

tried them. they don't really match the aesthetic in a way that works. and the swan knights have a command in the box. and be fair, one of the key things about GW for this range is that it is reasonably priced.