/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Best Inquisitor award" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

>Where did the Mandragora Apocrypha go?
The namefag working on it has fucked off to finish it in peace after our autists yelled at him over the unfinished version they found.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: Share the Inquisitors your campaigns had and maybe your characters had become.

Other urls found in this thread:

ufile.io/ug8w3
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/19/try-something-different-licensed-products-at-warhammer-fest/
youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU
youtube.com/watch?v=llHhiiNnIjY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is that link any safe?

Yes, fool, it's an old link to a fairly well used website, it's not gonna ransomware your pc.

Got it, thanks

Daily reminder that Eisenhorn did nothing wrong. Maybe he should fuck Alizabeth when he had a chance.

My question still stands. Maybe I formed it in a wrong way, just tell me what amounts of xp do you give out as a gm?

Going to be running a Dark Heresy 2e campaign soon. How do I make sure my players don't get gibbed straight away? I mean I still want it to be fairly lethal, but not like, instagibbed on the first shootout.

How do I RP a Dark Angel? It's Deathwatch, and I'm Ravenwing so I know about the thing.

Well the thing is.. A Ravenwing or Deathwing DA can't join Deathwatch..

Don't homebrew weapons or stuff like that. Be sure to adjust the difficulty, maybe test it yourself. Other than that? Well if their rolls will suck and they will be gibbed straight away, it isn't your fault. This is warhammer 40k not d&d.

Start them off fighting gangers with stub weapons, and remind them of the armour provided by cover.
Then start ramping up as you need.

does anyone have a web quality of The Lathe Worlds?
it's the only scan quality book left in my collection, and it's really annoying

I made an upgrade to my Techpriest character. We're using the 1st Ed books since that's what we own. We're in the final rank before Ascension.

I had an inquisitor that fought a chaos lord of khorne fist to fist. He rolled 2 ones. And rolled max hit damage on that fucker a lot. I had a high strength and WS safe to say.

Why is that so? What if he suspects that a fallen maybe hiding in the DW?

Because DA are afraid of spilling out secrets.

Ignore that guy. They even have rules for both.

Yes, that's why when the DA vet someone for seconding to the Deathwatch the Interrogator Chaplains judge wether they can keep their mouth shut or not, and most likely still implant conditioned orders to stop from blurting out things.
Besides, while pretty much the whole Deathwing is in the know about the Fallen, Ravenwing marines outside of the Black Knights are still told a partial lie, something about Horus killing the Lion IIRC.

Might be too small a challenge for 2e. 1e that'd be good, but I feel like the starting power level in 2e is a drastic improvement over 1e

Sorry man, all I've got is the one from the Repository

why do gamesworkshop destroy everything nice they make?

>Horus killing the Lion

wat

because money. If they slightly change/rebrand something, and call it brand new, they know that kiddies will waste their parents money on it.

I used to play TT, but it's just gotten too expensive for me. Luckily we still have the RPGs (for now)

i actually found a web quality copy of it ufile.io/ug8w3

So much nicer looking. Thanks mate

Hey, when your Chaplain tells you stuff, you believe it.

we don't have the RPG's though, they've completely killed that line and we'll never see new splats or editions for any of those god tier RPG's again

They shall be our STCs, glories of old, slowly falling into disrepair and underuse. And inevitably, when GW tries to innovate, it'll be shit

We're like one week away from their announcements on their RPG plans.

source?

Why is subtetly in dh2 fucked and its made for 'murica and any sane GM should scrap that?

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/19/try-something-different-licensed-products-at-warhammer-fest/

I don't know, user. Why is that?

Because it's way too small and retarded?

holy shit.
that could be actually nice

i am highly interested in what they have to say

The headache would kill him

>we'll never see new splats or editions

we have homebrew

Worth it!

only fags and cheaters homebrew

Did you OD on obscura user?

Hey guys. So I've never played this before, but I'm our groups forever DM, and we've all decided to give 2nd edition Dark Heresy a go, so i need to figure out what to do. The plan is to run the starting adventure that's in the book, can I get any advice and maybe some pointers for how the game plays and what the system is like. Maybe a simplified explanation? I'm reading through the book right now, but if you all could help me make sense of it that would be great.

Thanks.

>Le Obscura causes autism meme.
Leave us junkies alone!

Are your players new to 40k as a whole? Only War or Deathwatch make for easier rails which I've found is good for introducing people through the setting via RPG.
Otherwise you might get one of those players whose character is a cosplaying 21st century liberal

They know 40k, we play 40k, we just haven't played this before.

Well then the system is fairly straight forward. They want to do something, they roll a 1d100. If the number is equal to or less than their skill number, they succeed (modifiers may apply). If they want to use a skill they don't have it's -20, unless it's an advanced skill, in which case tough luck.

The typical combat round goes something like
>half aim
>attack action
>enemy attempts to react (dodge)
>If not dodged or parried or forcefielded, roll damage.

Every 10 below the success threshold is a Degree of Success, which can determines how well they succeeded/how much they know/how many times they hit, etc. Likewise, every 10 above their skill check is a Degrees of Failure which is usually only relevant in opposed tests.

That's the tl;dr, there's a lot more to it, but it's a fairly easy system once you get the hang of it

So, I'm starting a Black Crusade game and the apostate wants to be a null. Is this at all viable or balanced?

Nigga what? How about you read the books first before telling lies?

>First Founding

Ravenwing Veteran
Prerequisites

Requirements: Dark Angels only, Ag 45+, Per 35+, WP 35+, Rank 1 only
Cost: 1,000xp

same book has Deathwing vet specialty

Your headcanon is stupid.

If anything, they should be sending mostly X-Watch level marines because Deathwatch offers opportunities for wider investigation into potential Fallen.

X-Wing, rather.

Ok, thanks. Anything else I should know? Or any good adventure ideas or hooks you'd like to recommend?

Toughness is better than armor, and nothing compares to a good dodge stat. Damage evasion is far more important than mitigation

What's the best way to take targets alive? Rogue Trader game, but DH stuff is available on a case by case basis (no obviously inquisition only stuff).

Shocking and concussive weapons.

almost completely incompatable since black crusade is all about the dark gods giving you boons and punishments.
demons basically cant affect nulls in the lore so he'd be skipping out on a core game mechanic.

Basing a Slaaneshi Apostate Heretic for Black Crusade off of the lead singer of Dead or Alive; good or THE BEST idea?
youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU
youtube.com/watch?v=llHhiiNnIjY

Let him screw himself over if he wants, he'll end up significantly weaker than other PCs

Literally not an option given in BC, even before you get to the thematic counterproductiveness involved.

If they really can't get into the game without something similar, consider offering them Discordant (DH1e, Lathe Worlds) as an Elite Advance. It's sorta like Pariah/Null/Blank, but for technology.

No it isnt. He is a chaos gods worshipper ffs

Be a Manhunter, you get an handy talent for converting damage into fatigue on your called shots. Grab shock and net weapons and go to town.

Webbers/ANYTHING with the Snare quality.
Arm the voidsmen with Mancatchers. A Horde of motherfuckers with those can probably catch anything.

Thanks. I've been trying to talk him out of it. He wants to be some kind of insane person who hates the Imperium but also thinks chaos and any non-humans are bad news. I'm not sure what his goals are, but if he isn't going to align with chaos while living in the screaming vortex they surely won't end well.

Prospective first time gm for dark heresy here, should my pcs have any exp to spend as part of character creation?

As in "more than they already have by the core book (400 for DH1E, 1K for DH2E)"?

It will derail the game so bad. Just watch it.

Why not? They just end up starting stronger.

The exp amount in the core is enough, but I sometimes tend to even lower it a bit.

>Character is in the Screaming Vortex
>Anti Imperium, anti Chaos and anti Xeno

Tell him to neck himself because he is a retard.

No I was actually looking for how much the book said they should have. Been reading through it, but I guess I missed that somehow so I've been confused as fuck trying to help my players get going.

Well if I make them too strong it will make things too easy, but I don't wanna gimp them either.

What's your reasoning behind that?

One more question, if you were gonna do a session for just one player, how would you do it? Give him some npcs to boss around maybe? I figure jist one guy alone is probably screwed. I have more than one for the actual game, but im planning on running a praxticertain round with one of them before game day.

Dark heresy first or second edition?

Why would you make them stronger session 0? And there is no point in sessions one on one.

Are there any decent malal rules? I might let him go down that path if he wants to be a contrarian.

Second.

Retconnium.

One on one sessions lead to favoritism

pretty much this.

A power-armored, dual powerfist-wielding, Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor who's reasonable but also brooks no shit.
She never takes the powerfists off, and has two assistants, her right- and left-hand men, who do things like turn pages and feed her.

>Share the Inquisitors your campaigns had and maybe your characters had become.
I got an entire triad of the fuckers.

Could use some advice on psychic powers. I'm finding it quite hard to judge the 'usefulness' of them. We're a Malleus group and I'm planning on being facey - is Telepathy/Sanctic Daemonology with a smattering of tier 1 other powers (like Telekinetic Control) good? Will I be able to cover most situations? And are there any trap powers that I should just avoid?

bonus points for getting multiple limb mutations, or getting super attached to individuals they're trying to corrupt and get creepy violent and stalkery if they get rejected

an Inquisitorial Rosette can requisition damn near anything, especially if you have a reason you need an entire battlefleet

so be careful with those, it's like infinite Imperial money of any kind, you just can't spend it all at once, if you want a fleet you requisition your way up and some ships may decide to stay with you etc. again you need a really good reason for anything or people will figure you out and likely lynch you for abuse of authority. if a segmentum battlefleet admiral kills you for basically trying to steal his fleet just because you want it, that's just tough nuts, he wont be prosecuted. you get a lot of pushback unless, you know, there's a tyrannic fleet coming to eat everyone

if anything he now possesses a rosette

that pic is heart-breaking

Wanting to do a mine field encounter with hostiles at the other side waiting for people to cross it. Any ideas for how to execute that in a fun way without just doing a million checks?

Is it some kind of reference to the Eisenhorn books?

It is.
Its the before and after.

The books are so shitty it's heartbreaking.

personally I'd allow it just to see where it goes, if anything it might just be an interesting way of getting a NPC blank in the party when he decides to put it down and play something more chaos-y

it's not like there's a bunch of rogue psykers running around the screaming vortex or anything, he could probably make some decent coin as an assassin if he could find a way to advance his character and not just be a potato

also Khorne abhors psykers, which is interesting because he's a warp god and his daemons teleport if you look at the events of the spess mahreen vidya gaem, maybe his boons come in his dark god manipulating people around him

likewise, he could just be riddled with mortal viruses and worship nurge

you could also go the "not all blanks are full blanks" route. Some of them can only take so much warp lightning being shot at them before their pool is dry and they get evaporated, others are full blanks and will simply never be struck. In fact these half-blanks may actually be what's referred to as blunters. As such a warp god could pretty easily overcome a blunters field to turn them into a newt or whatnot.

on the other hand everyone else might be right, everyone aligned with tzeench would be trying to kill him 24/7. I think somewhere in the fluff of either the core book or the adventure trilogy to sink a planet into the warp it specifically states there's even the occasional blank running around. Again I'd imagine they have to be VERY careful, that is, if they aren't completely invisible to everyone. Then they could just run around naked using their wee wee as a weapon

anyway, if anything, you can just have tzeench cultists assassinate him if he's too game breaking

I think a khornate butcher's nailed blunter psyker assassin sounds kinda fun. he doesn't have to be FULLY immune, just very slippery, if you will

now any rogue psyker he walks by and turns off may pull a gun and start shooting at him, and his teammates may hate him...

yeah even let them interview people and hire themselves some goons (might even let them roll them up, generic stat lines if making another 5 characters is too time consuming), divide all the xp they earn by 5 10 or 100, make it mostly a money mission, might even just have them start a business and the team gets occasional income from it but have to protect it occasionally

If I wanted to play a Dark Heresy Arbites character who uses a single pistol as his main weapon, how viable would that be?
What would I build towards/watch out for?

1e or 2e?

So I was thinking about doing a pretty mission for the mission that's in the core book for second ed dark heresy and sending one or two members of the party in as the representatives of "smugglers/pirates" with goods to sell to try and infiltrate the illicit trade ring on the hive world. Good idea? Bad idea? What do you all think?

*Pre mision not pretty mission.

So me and my group did our first Rogue Trader session. It went... weird.

>players all meet in a bar (voidmaster, astropath, and archmilitant)
>voidmaster immediately starts getting tanked, while the other two eye up the joint
>a mysterious individual approaches them, says he's here on behalf of a powerful rogue trader who wishes to acquire their services
>archmilitant tries to persuade the contact into revealing intel on the trader
(his player is trying to build him into a diplomat-type character, put a lot into Fel)
>three degrees of failure
>contact sees his attempt as being hit on, gets super sketched out
>leaves to check that these guys are actually the ones he's supposed to get

>meanwhile, a group of hive gangers have been watching them the whole time
>try to corner the archmilitant
>archmilitant attempts diplomacy again
>two degrees of failure
>everybody draws

>archmilitant, abandoning diplomacy, chainsaws the first ganger from shoulder to groin in one hit
>other two gangers back away in fear
>he demands their cash
>they throw their wallets at him and run
>all three players hear a slow clap

>the contact is standing in the doorway
>reveals himself as the rogue trader
>the contact, Jim Cognito, is a persona he uses for undercover work
>is impressed with the two halves of ganger on the ground
>takes them outside, where his shuttle is waiting.

That's when it got worse.

If its pistol alone go for a hand cannon.

I used the stormchild hand cannon as it counts as a club in close combat. However you might want to use a carnodon hand cannon as you can get 3 round burst out of it and upgrade it with the 2E reinforced upgrade so you can use it as a club too.

If your thinking of using a pistol and melee, then you could either go with shock baton and hand flamer to shock people into not attacking while they suffer burn damage.

In both cases you'd end up upgrading into a bolt pistol and power maul, because theres no reason not to.

>once in the shuttle, the rogue trader tells the voidmaster to take the group to the ship
>voidmaster is still heavily intoxicated
>rolls
>fails
>rolls again
>FOUR degrees of failure
>the shuttle flips over onto the bar, crushing everyone inside into red paste

>rogue trader seriously questioning his choices at this point
>voidmaster tries to right the shuttle
>rolls
>fails
>rolls again
>fails again
>the shuttle skids along the road, smearing greasy red barpatron down the street
>still upside down

>they decide to get out of the shuttle
>Agility check to extricate themselves from an upside down spacecraft
>rogue trader, astropath, and archmilitant pass
>voidmaster rolls
>three degrees of failure
>starts strangling in his crash webbing, hanging down from his chair
>the rogue trader has to hold his legs up while the astropath cuts him loose

>once outside, the rogue trader has to bribe the cops while the party waits for the voidmaster to sober up
>in the meantime, the astropath uses mind probe on the rogue trader, -20 to secretly read his thoughts
>finds out as far as rogue traders go, he's dirt poor and is trying to cut costs wherever he can
>is hiring this party of critically failing dumbasses because it's all he can afford

I was worried when it started that I'd run out of stuff for them to do, but they managed to make their own fun.

Why are your questions inco-fucking-herent? Use adult grammar and phrasing, please.

>doesn't matter had sex

Le leddit bro!

So is there no way to get a non-cancer version of the Koronus Bestiary Xenos Generator?

>doesn't matter had sex

Just call him a faggot and tell him to make a non-snowflake character FFS.

Your taste is so trash it's heartbreaking.

Yeah, we can tell you're from Plebbit. So, what is your actual question about Subtlety?

>honestly? anything to break the narrative. if all of your players have read that part of the book then your adventure could be taken apart by someone who say, remembers everything. Treating the adventure books more as "your characters had a vision of a possible future" and it turns out to be a bit not whats in the book is a great way to have a little fun. Nothing like that end treasure chest full of loot instead having a daemonhost in it you inadvertantly let loose opening the box
plus a little background never hurts anyone

You had to write the same message twice?