Warhammer 40,000 general /40kg/

This Edition

>Warhammer 40k 8th Edition: "Leak" Compilation
bloodofkittens.com/blog/2017/04/26/warhammer-40k-8th-edition-leak-compilation/

>Lastest news :
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/17/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-drukhari-may17/

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/17/new-warhammer-40000-reserves-and-deep-striking-may17gw-homepage-post-4/

>Your daily duncan
youtu.be/CZEXEZnM8kU

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!z4wmmJyR!jTfwLczhdFjV0q6nowtGag!qgZhmAhK

>40k rules reference in wiki format:
sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Latest GW teases:
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW FAQs:
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>8th edition FAQ:
warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/20/new-warhammer-40000-stronghold-assault-may20gw-homepage-post-4/
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/19/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-imperial-knights/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for strongholds
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/20/new-warhammer-40000-stronghold-assault-may20gw-homepage-post-4/

So am I only one who is actually excited about 8th and not assblasted about any changes whatsoever?

ps: finally built the damn thing. Now only 3 more to go.

I actually like Primaris. I might roll an army only of them.

I've been waiting to return to 40k when they finally balanced, or atleast attempted to, the cluster fuck of power creep and rules they have going on.

I'm skeptically optimistic

Nah i think most of us are pretty happy about it

Wee, so useful

I too am feeling positive. I have my quibbles here and then but I am reserving final judgment for when everything is released.

No, the rest just got tired of dodging poo trying to talk down the hysterical howler-monkeys.

They nerfed Force? Who the hell abuses Force?

Last time I check, GK and their stupid force weapons can do D3 dmg now.

I was skeptically optimistic too but after I saw that Frankie, Reece and other ITC-personel were playtesters my cynicism turned into real childlike hype. I've been reading about Reece saying for years that 40k needs balance. Unit, armies, scenarios. And now he had a strong influence to 8th and how it will unfold as a game.

I'm hyped as balls. There is a real chance that every unit in the game will be playable and at least decent in 8th. Damn.

Are you stupid or really stupid?

Reece needs a good tire iron to the side of the head

Its not a nerf really, just simplifies things. yeah it doesnt even 100% kill 2w models now but atleast it works 100% of time AND against vehicles. Its more of an sidegrade.

Probably just confused.

B-but muh ID

Why, did he beat your girlfriends (boy) gsc army?

They don't cast Force anymore...?

Last poll it was~
20% Hype
45% optimism
20% reservation
15% RUINED 4 EVA BURN Ur ARMYIES

Nope. Just d3 damage. They will probably have their other 2 signature powers, banish and hammerhand.

Been out since 5th, sold all of my armies. I'm so encouraged enough by the rules so far that I'm going to rejoin the hobby with some chadmarines.

But damage doesn't spill, does it?

I can't wait. I mostly played in 4th and 5th, with only a smattering of games in 7th, as the absurd convolution of list construction and special rules put me off the game completely. I've been wanting to dive back in, and 8th looks to be exactly what 40k needed.

I still cannot believe that GW is not only engaging with their community, but is actually employing the competitive scene as playtesters to ensure a more fair and fun playing field. It's honestly mindblowing.

Does anyone else think GW should combine the Obliterators and Mutilators into a single new unit called Obliterators.

I stopped playing when I moved away from my country, back in 2004. Im cautiously optimistic now, and I might start an SM army.

Hammerhand GKs are going to seriously fuck up vehicles in 8th. It's gonna be good.

Nidfriend here
I'm exciting if nothing else because the new weapon rules should fix a lot of the garbage guns in the codex, also consolidating into combat should be great.
Also regardless of taking more wounds from guns, wounding our MC on 2+ isn't possible anymore, combined with warriors not being instantly popped by S8 weapons.

I do fear that the hive tyrant is gonna get nerfed because every nid player and their mother has like 2-3+ of them by now.

Also Venom cannons without the tiny blast template fucking up their tank popping potential should be pretty great.

Nope. So its just useful against multiwound models. AND VEHICLES. 5 wounds in woudnt make leman russ care less but when its 5d3 it has legit chance of dying (Leman Russ has 12 wounds)

YES

They should just make mutilators less shit in general

yes
and also make them not-shit along with the rest of the codex

No

Yes.

I never really understand why a space tech warp virus thing made the distinction between guns and swords.

>you can turn your arms into any weapon imaginable
>Cool! I'm gonna have a bashing flail and a flamethrower
>Errr well, any GUN imaginable, Muti Tim can make flails though

I think people in Veeky Forums does the same I do with love.

Focuses too much on the bad things (or even the slightly bad or just the not perfect) and forgets war too easily the good ones.

Well seeing as Mutilators (and oblitratiors and terminators) can make 1st turn charges, that should make them better. Also they will have at least 3 wounds now.

First attempt at weathering, haven't sealed it in yet.

>tanks are monstrous creatures now
g-guys?
What about DE poison?

Will only work on units without the VEHICLE keyword.

Mind sharing how you painted the Steel Legion camo scheme? I'm planning on getting into Steel Legion for 8th, but I haven't found a perfect guide for their tank scheme yet.

Acytually not known for sure now. Some rumour said that they only wound vehicles with 6+. Which is pretty much the same as most other basic infantry weapons in the game against vehicles.

Is this right

Roll to hit get 3 hits
Roll to wound 2 wounds
Damage is 1 for the weapon
2 models die because of 2 wounds on 2 hits

In the case of multiple damage weapons still 2 die because 2 hits?

This isn't the Steel Legion camo scheme unfortunately; I used Steel Legion Drab and Game Air Dead Flesh. The "real" scheme would use a dark gray rather than earth colour. And then finished with a light drybrush of white.
I use an air brush for my vehicles, which is how I also got the airbrushed look. GW officially said that they drybrushed the dead flesh on to create it.

Nidfag here. I'm waiting more news my bugs with with bated breath, but what I've seen so far makes me already optimistic enough to resume scratch building and kitbashing my gribblies.

I may even buy some more, if the final rules for nids are really as good as I hope them to be.

So yes, I'm really optimistic.

I stopped during 5th, and I'm cautiously optimistic for now.
The deciding factor will be the updated rules for armies, if either of my existing armies is fine and fun, or one of those I'm tempted to start is, I'll plunge.

>Realizing I'm the only one who is not excited about 8th and remains paranoid suspicious of GW.

I'd clean up the cloth pack on the back. I don't think the mud looks good on it.

They are likely going to make it either 4+ to wounnd up to a certain T then it degrades.
This would also help people like tyranids from having their MCs wiped out when facing certain armies.

Or make a vehicle keyword that is only wounded by poison on a 6+ but is weak to haywire.

Yeah, I did already, it wasn't supposed to get there at all.

No worries, user, I was more interested in the technique than the actual colors. I've been thinking of picking up an airbrush, so it's good to hear that it suits this style well. Any recommendations?

I bought the absolutely shittiest cheapest piece of shit I could find and it works fine for what I use it as, painting on basecoats and camo schemes on tanks.

I'm pretty excited for 8th. Though i'll have to reserve final judgement for when I can finally rate the armies again and see where my Tsons and Crons fall on the list.

Great, that's what I was planning to do as well.

Muti's are just dudes who obsessed over weapons too much and mutated in the warp.

The fact they look exactly like Oblits is just laziness, they have NOTHING to do with the Oblit-virus. Maybe they were terminators before changing, but still.

They should have taken the opportunity to make plastic renegade Ogryns with mutant sword-arms and shit

They broke TAU even more, there's that. Other than that, the new rules are not bad at all.

They should make them at least appear badass.

Look at this fucking garbage, even the official pro painted model is ass.

Hell, too many CSM heavy pieces are pathetically awful. The defiler is like a bad Toy Story tribute.
We should be able to field the most edgy, grimdark hunks of metal in wargaming instead of this crap.

>my Tsons and Crons
My brother of prosperine origins.

>shooting in general has been nerfed
>markerlights nerfed

>they broke tau even more
Explain

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/19/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-imperial-knights/

This is disgusting lads. Ban this sick filth. How do you deal with Imperial / Wraith Knights?
How will they be dealt with in 8th?

Check the Tau faction focus, also running from a melee and shooting again.

I did, outside of Stormsurges being retarded as usual. Crisis suits can shoot 3 weapons instead of 2 now, and yes Tau suits can run from a melee and shoot, but there's other tactic uses for that besides Tau.

Wouldn't the new Battleshock destroy the tau unit before it even had a chance though?

Fuck you, they're awesome. I'm buying a goddamn knight now

Relax dude. Horus is just strengthening the Emperor's grip on the Galaxy okay? Like Horus, GW too is also only strengthening the game.

>I kind of liked when tanks acted like tanks.
>I kind of liked when blasts could scatter across the battlefield.
>I kind of liked having 40k and AoS as discrete rulesets.

Sorry..

>Knight army cancer lives in 8th

Why.

These things should just be limited to 1 per army allies, all Lords of war should be.

How the fuck is it an impressive mighty 'lord of war' if there are 5 of the cunts walking around

I really wonder how often these retards set up and immediately get told to fuck off. I know I would if I did a PUG and they started pulling 5 of them out

I'm more confused as to why there are command point benefits for it. You're already getting a big boost from 3 Superheavies. Do you also need extra bonuses?

>How do you deal with Imperial / Wraith Knights?
I don't, that's effectively dissuaded their use in my meta.

Super-Heavy detachments have me concerned, because there are simply so many Apocalypse-tier things out there and the potential for balance fuckups is so goddamn huge. Making this fully Battleforged for competitive, when normal ITC-hammer had a "1 Lord of War" cap, is iffy.

Sure, massed Knights or Baneblades aren't the end of the world.

What happens when massed Tau'nars become a thing? Or some other exploitable superheavy gets updated.

Say the Transcendent C'tan gets its old Escalation rules back, or the Eldar Lynx becomes a proper LOW again. Or someone goes "fuck it" and does a 3-Mastodon army (because Forgeworld will make some special rule to make it truly unkillable), etc?

At least the Mastodon can be stopped in its tracks by Grots, since no tank shock. But knights can at least step over them...

...yeah, my brain hurts from this all.

It probably is because of preference.

If if a mutilator feels like growing guns that one day, the warband probably just nudges him closer to the obliterators as a 'squad'.

>he liked 2 hours being added to the game between every mini being spaced 2" apart and players studying for their PhDs in applied physics to accurately map the scatter die

Good riddance to blasts, and if you liked when tanks acted like tanks, you should be THRILLED that one jackass can't stroll up and fire a plasma gun into rear AV10 to blow up a tank.

Further proof Chaos gets Chadmarines.

They have had it in our face the entire time. That is a chadmarine on the left...and the right. This lends credence to the "Chaos Gods and/or Alpha Legion steals some away to Chaos."

That or a 2nd betrayal happens. Which might explain why the box set would have nu-marines on both sides fighting it out.

SOmeone post that image of a Knights army owner lamenting the fact no one will play him at his local store

Right is Death Guard.

You're an idiot if you don't think 5x Knights won't be OP. How else is GW gonna sell the damn things?

You're not alone. I'm reaaal skeptical about 8th, but will try it.

With the numerous av weapons that do 1d3-1d6 wounds per hit that are now available to you?

>the chaos gun is partially made out of wood and held together with string
when will manlet marines learn?

What if I field only one knight for my army?
Will i still get opponents?

Theres nothing else that cool worth buying. I dont want to be stuck with ugly units just cause the epic ones are a bit OP.

Are you forgetting that we can supposedly consolidate into combat again?

The fact that people love big stompy robots?

You won't be able to.
The normal army detachements have no LoW slots.

Look at the helmet design, it is identical almost. A few changes here and there but otherwise nearly identical. Has a gorget and the top helmet vent. Has a similar face plate (not identical I know.) The skull is in the same position. The break in the gorget is the same position.

It isn't exact, but it is similar enough.

>a bit OP.
understatement of the year

Dumb newbie question time.

My 5 guys with force weapons attack 5 two wound models. All the attacks hit and wound with no saves made. Is the d3 damage rolled against each individual model, or do I roll all 5 d3 and the defending player allocates how he likes?

Oh, you've seen all the different FOC options? Please educate us.

Ayy lmao. I don't kknow what it is about Egyptian motifs i'm attracted to but goddamn I can't stay away.

I have told the local Knight-hoarding guy not to bother unpacking them same with everyone else except the dude that likes to field an army of all dreads and tanks and can actually deal with 3+ Knights

Thankfully he also plays Marines and taking a single Knight alongside them is fine, so it's not about telling people to fuck off, but telling them to try and craft a game that's vaguely winnable and fun for both sides

nobody fucking knows because the rule aren't out yet

It's interesting that the Chaos marine's helmet/gorget is a very similar design to the Numarine's.

Suggests it might not be a Long War veteran but a corrupted Numarine maybe?

At the point where you go to PUGs with Knights, you're an asshole

You allocate when you try to make the armour saves, duh.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Blasts only got annoying when they were something like a pack of Peltasts or 30k Legion Seekers firing 20 Small Blasts, and you could easily have just cut them to D3 shots rather than removing the awesome that was landing a good blast template with a Dunecrawler or Battle Cannon and having to be careful about where you shoot them.

I'm happy that BS comes into it because I play Skitarii, so Neutron Lasers, motherfucker (assuming they don't gut Doctrinas and Canticles, which is my biggest fear). But the AV system was good, the Vehicle Damage table needed a little tonedown and MCs needed to get one too, but removing facings has basically made tanks boring as hell.

Also with the new blasts and unwieldy rule/removal of Initiative you can directly mathhammer every weapon to find the best one, there's no real situational options for stuff like artillery or whether to pack Power Fists on everything over Lightning Claws. That makes me a little sad.

Im glad I now stand corrected.

That or the artist is a lazy piece of shit. Still think that is just DG.

I never knew there was a such a sticking points with knights.

Titans i understand, but i thought these smaller mechs were mainstream acceptable.

It seems more like the Death Guard are just getting a coincidental blessing + size increase.

Well I am talking about Knights as in plural.

One is fine, but the main issue here is that you just can't deal with that much vehicle in a regular game without list tailoring to some degree.

Starting a battle and realizing around 50% of your army is literally useless is bullshit

Call me crazy if you want but it's given that (certain) HQ's give out command points. Now I think you might get more for them for some criterias like 1 per troop/per 2 troops or 1 per set of each role slot filled, ie. having hq+troop+elite+fast+heavy = 1CP. If ths is the case, then super heavy detachment might be on the losing side in the CP race. Also it's probably for tha unique IK stratagem that they are bound to have.

Here's GW itself speaking on the matter:

Imperial Knights currently play as an all or nothing army.
What I mean by this is that they either totally overwhelm their opponent with high armour, powerful weapons and devastating meleeā€¦ or they get crushed by an army that has the specific tools to deal with them.
This is largely due to the game mechanics of the way Warhammer 40,000 plays.
Many weapons cannot hurt a Knight at all, while some devastate them, such as Destroyer weapons or large numbers of melta weapons.
This creates very swingy, often short, games that can leave one or both players feeling a bit flat.

I don't see a problem with a single knight. Although we always tell our opponents ahead of time if you got lords of war in your army or not.