pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tb4BWSUV8mM#t=0m21
learningdnd.com/resource/unearthed-arcana-list/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is this a valid use of Geas spell?

I don't see why not

Hello friends, what do you think about the Mystic?

Which demon lords put up the most challenging fights or are they all potential TPKs?

Around what level would you start giving your players a generic +1 magic item?

>be my bitch forever
is a little broad for a geas

Depends on what type of game your going for. Me I didn't do it till ~7, but we're going up to level 20.

>Players get +1 item
>DM makes enemies harder to compensate
Fun.

Around level 5-7. It's the level where monsters with resistances against non-magical weapons become so commonplace, it's unbearable.

~12+

That is to say, at level 12+ they would have no issues outfitting themselves with +1 weapons. 15+ or so they'd have no problems outfitting themselves with +1 armours, shields and whatever.

The question specifically said 'generic +1 items' and before those levels any +1 items aren't going to be generic.

>party acquires +1 weapons
>DM can now challenge them with different and more powerful creature options
>PCs don't have to spend all their time in peasantville fighting bandits and other mundane humanoids

1st level.

You could easily challenge them with higher level enemies without giving them +1 weapons.

It's called 'levelling up', and also 'using less enemies', because less enemies makes them weaker and even a single powerful creature can be downed by a bunch of low level players without combat buffs.

Needs to be spelled out in such detail so autist don't think they can do something that is only supported by a poorly worded RAW.

Then what even is the fucking point

To satisfiy 'Oh, we MUST have +1 weapons, even if you only then just give enemies more health to compensate' faggots?

>responding seriously to a post that is obviously mocking the dead thread
>while dragging your HOURS long autismo argument into this thread
Go away.

>the bandits are now level four
>now they're level seven bandits
>oh look level 10 bandits with magical equipment

It has to come through from a story perspective.

No need to be upset, I'm simply worried people actually believe they should be allowed to do that. Since some anons argue that they can.

Go away.

So it's 'a reward for a good backstory'?

But really, unless you make absolutely everything +1 then it just discourages weapon variety and everyone will just stick with the one weapon.

Joke's on you, +1s are magical gems that can be slotted into any weapon with a gem slot.
the solution is to use damage resists/vulns more than the MM does, so that players have incentive to put their greatsword away and beat shit with a table because they're dumb and forgot to bring a mace

Yes, but it also depends on the genre of fantasy we want to play. A more grounded, horror oriented game would have no magic items available and it'd involve the players surviving on wits, which can be deliciously frayed, and ingenuity alone.

But user I like it here and I'm trying to get my friends who I play with and browse pfg into 5e.

Go away.

How do you guys come up with your long campaign spanning storylines? Currently my players are just going from adventure to adventure without anything to really tie things up.

Can you just fuck off. And let several doors hit you on your way out.

This edition doesn't like severe autists, you included.

You have to do it in conjunction with that, though.

If you have +0 weapons and don't do resistances/vulns a bit more, players still have no reason to switch for other things except flavour.
+1 weapons then start to discourage it.

So you kinda need to do both: Don't force single-weapon dependency and also have some enemies or things that...
Say, a slime that has a heart that you should poke with a pointy weapon or a ceramic creature that's most vulnerable to bludgeoning.

Oh, right, you mean like that. I guess giving everyone +1 weapons is mostly a flavour effect.

~4-7

I start with a broad outline, of major events that the players can be a part of. Some of the little adventures are just that, no real big significance in the over all story. If you want you can easily spin it latter that "remember that village you saved? Turns out this guy was behind it"

To get players more involved you can have the stuff they do gain attention of major NPCs in the world and they start asking the group for help or hiring them.

Sounds painful no thanks

Once I'm done with it, it will.

I gave my party 2 +1 weapons by level 3. Both had some fun thematic components to them which made sense in the campaign and offered them interesting RP choices.

I would say generic +1 weapons are boring and I would probably never hand them out. At lower levels I would probably add some sort of curse or drawback, or at the very least add some RP element into it.

The only issue in terms of balance I had was that throwing Shadows and Wights at them wasn't as terrifying as it could have been. But regardless its still a lot of fun.

You have two options:

1: Ask the players what they want to do with all of their fabulous wealth and good-will. Do they want to buy an inn? Try to take over all the elected positions of a town? A bunch of separate projects? Let them and ensnare them in the greater bureaucracy and politics of the region until they're sucked into a trade war or some shit.

2: Alien invasion. Actual aliens.
youtube.com/watch?v=tb4BWSUV8mM#t=0m21

Depends on the setting and tone.

Sounds like you have to do some world building to actually make things, people, and events that would happen over a long period of time and cause a lot of things to happen.

How does a party of five level 5s defeat a Martian tripod?

How would you have half-orc as a template rather than a race? Similar to half-dragons. I;m inspired by a thread on /d/ for a pervasive hybrid orc race.

From the War of the Worlds?
Take out its legs.

I'm trying DMing for the first time, the idea for my campaign is basically some big magical event happens in a world where magic has long since dissipated and is basically a myth up until the event. The event caused an overflow of magic into the world and created all sorts of magical artifacts. These artifacts are magical, but don't necessarily give the PCs any benefits or powers. The PCs will be joining an artifact hunters guild to find rare artifacts for high profile clients that want the artifacts for research purposes.

My problem is I can't think of something to hold together the story. I don't have an idea for a "big bad" and i don't want it to just feel like a series of fetch quests. any suggestions?

yes its inspired by STALKER

What you do feel is 5e is lacking in currently?
In modules, classes, items, monsters, templates, races?

First we need stats.

I just got a few dozen blank minis and want to paint them. I've never really done painting before but I want to try it out and see if I find it enjoyable.
My understanding is that the "standard" is stuff from Games Workshop (at least for the Warhammer stuff) but that they're also really expensive and knock-offs are just as good. What are some cheaper paint brands that work well for minis?

Just go ahead and run the first two or three adventures as "fetch quests." Concentrate more on the story of the moment than anything big and overarcing. Come up with some background for each artifact they are going after and what effect it could potentially have on the world at large.

As the players express their character personalities, interact with various NPCs, and general shenanigans happen during the first few fetch quests, I bet you inspiration will hit you like a mallet. Or you're a bad DM.

well its my first time so probably the latter

We all had to start somewhere.

Just keep running simple "fetch quests" until you get better at DMing. Tell everyone you are a first time DM. They'll understand. Simple quests like that can still be fun as long as everybody is being social.

Anyone have a good source for an item value list?

I'm trying to find a good list that just plainly details an accurate price for just about anything in the game.

My party is a bunch of pocket jews that will scoop up literally everything and resell it, and if I forget what I sold the item for during a previous session, they freak the fuck out.

Granted, different vendors have different prices, but I just want a nice source to tell them all to fuck off with

How's this for a CR 20 ability?
Legendary Magic Immunity. The X can't be affected or detected by spells of 8th level or lower unless it wishes to be. It has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects. 3/day when it would fail a save, it can choose to succeed instead.

Only on a creature that's dedicated to antimagic, and then it'd even go to the extent of perhaps resisting magical weapons and the like.

Some sort of 'magic elemental' creature, embodiment of magic, embodiment of anti-magic or embodiment of mundanity or whatever.

On anything else it sounds like an absolutely stupid 'I hate casters' thing.

These 'how's this for an ability' questions need more context.

>modules

With the exception of Curse Of Strahd, most of the adventures have been somewhat hit or miss. I think we can all agree we need more variety and less high fantasy adventure #104945853. I hope they do Planescape.

I'm going on the limb here, I would love to see martial adepts. No, battlemasters do not count.

Even SKT and OotA were misses?

A lot of the Tome of Battle stuff found its way into the mystic, actually. You can see Tiger Claw, Stone Dragon, White Raven, and more among the disciplines.

Hopefully they should all be potential TPKs, but looking at their stats some of them don't look like they'd be all that tough. They do have some very hard control though (which could still get fucked by counterspell or a devotion pally), like Baphomet casting Maze. You know the fighter that dumped Int? He ain't coming back unless you break Baphomet's concentration, and lol, good luck with that.

They're all definitely deadly, but any well equipped and well built high level party should be able to defeat them, even if someone dies. The only glaring exception is Orcus with his wand bullshit.

>What you do feel is 5e is lacking in currently?

Tits in the artwork.

I do like SKT, i think it's almost right there with CoS. OotA could have been great, but the confusing editing plus some boring filler don't really help. Thank the gods we have a flowchart for SKT.

More monsters to help fill out higher levels and make it so the lower levels games aren't the same would be nice.

I'm hesitant for races because in my experience people pick oddball races and then base their character around that it's an oddball race.

Classes would be nice but it'll be difficult to actually introduce something new without invalidating other classes making them borderline useless.

Items there already are a decent amount, more guides on maybe building balanced custom items and more concrete rules on crafting that don't make it either piss easy or not worth it.

Might be better to ask in the WIP general that floats around.

For those who like to make/tweak custom monsters, do you use Lair Actions for your baddies? I'm pretty happy with the idea of Legendary Actions giving your boss monsters a little more power (especially if it's just him against the whole party), but I've also been kind of interested in seeing Lair Actions and Regional Effects for certain monsters.

By default it seems like only the high CR creatures have them in the MM, but I definitely think some lower-level monsters could benefit from them as well. Nothing that'd be too deadly, but maybe an action or two that keeps the players aware of their environment or prevents them from ganging up on a lone target.

Or making them borderline useless*

Is what it should be

Well I mean, if you're ok with your casters just sitting down, being useless, sure, but that doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

Modules and monsters.

Really depends on what I'm making, I will give it lair actions if it fits the monster over all. Then again I tend to stick to legendary actions and have a couple minions to keep it from being raped by the action economy.

Lair actions are just simplified 'the enemy has traps ready because they're on defence'.

Absolutely you should use them, but you don't have to use them as 'lair actions'. Lair actions are just kinda generic fantasy stuff that's best used for epic encounters that saves the monster actions without it needing minions to man everything.
An encounter at lower levels could well have lair actions in a different format, andyou can have kobolds readying their action to drop a trap or something.

Heck, even lair actions themselves should have some explanation, the dragon shaking the cave by stomping to drop rocks or whatever.

Thing is, mid-level enemies might be used as epic encounters sometimes and might not be used as epic encounters for high levels, so they don't really get assigend lair actions I guess, but no harm in letting them set up traps.

>He doesn't let over bearing casters know they aren't the end all be all

anyone got a link to a collection of all the unearthed arcana (aside from wizard's site)

What is with D&D that turns people into murder hobos? Seriously, of all the RPGs i have ever played, this is the only one that people seem to want to murder everything.There is this guy in my table that can't go a single session without complaining about a lack of combat.

learningdnd.com/resource/unearthed-arcana-list/

5e has a bit of a design fault in that it expects 6-8 encounters or maybe even 4-5 encounters a day and if you don't do that it devalues classes like fighter.

Also not having combat devalues barbarians/fighters/etc as well as casters have non-combat utility.

>learningdnd.com/resource/unearthed-arcana-list/
Thank you kind user, you are truly a gentleman and a scholar.

3.5/PF shits. Also the fact 4e is a tactical combat simulator, a very good one but still one.

I would argue is because of D&D's major emphasis on combat. Almost everything on your character sheet is geared towards how much more ass you can kick in combat. And that's what gets rewarded. So when you encourage your players to build the biggest damn hammer they can craft in their toolbox, every problem starts looking like a nail.

And also because we rarely get into fights IRL.

I'm a bit new to DnD. I am playing a campaign with some friends but the DM is sort of a friend of those friends. When we started about a month ago, I was only looking at the PHB for classes and stuff and didn't do enough digging on my own looking at classes outside of the handbook since I figured we were all picking the vanilla stuff. Most of the other guys are playing UA stuff but I went with an Assassin Rogue.

I have been looking at the UA classes and subclasses and some are pretty fucking cool. I know that UA stuff isn't meant to be multiclassed for balance reasons but should I talk to the DM about a house rule to sort of nerf the Arcane Archer a bit?

When we were all building our characters, I was talking with the guys and the general path I was going to go along was a Rogue/Fighter multiclass. Take Rogue (Assassin) to 5 then move to a Battlemaster Fighter. I doubt I will be able to completely do over my character but if I talk to the DM and tone down the Magic Arrow ability from the AA subclass, does it seem to broken from a balance perspective?

Thanks in advance.

Are Dragonborn underpowered?
I see a lot of people complain about their breath weapon, including a player from my last campaign that recently ended.
I was considering giving them a free cantrip like some other races get and I wondered if that would be enough.
It seems obvious what to choose for most of them - Fire Bolt, Acid Splash, Poison Spray and Ray of Frost - but what's a good cantrip to give a lightning-element dragonborn?
Shocking Grasp and Lightning Lure both come to mind, but they aren't ranged attacks like the rest of them.
Should I just reskin something? Is this even worth doing?

I forgot to say, our characters are now Level 3.

No clue man, could be they just want to kill shit, take loot, get experience.

It's not for everyone though so they need to know what type of campaign is going on in advance.

Nothing anyone says here will matter. Ask your DM.

Before you ask for a nerf, just ask your DM if you can multiclass to Arcane Archer straight-up. He/she might say yes and you don't have to worry about it.

Also: Where did you read that UA classes weren't meant to be multiclassed? Every DM I know allows for it.

just make their breath attack recharge on a 5-6 or usable once per combat and you're good.

UA classes aren't meant to be multiclassed, as many of the staff have clarified multiple times on twitter.

Recharge mechanic is a bit random for my preference, and once per combat isn't really a definition that works in this edition. I might try something similar.
Maybe proficiency bonus times per day, or something?

Could base it off Constitution mod? It is technically a natural thing they do if it follows the dragons breath weapon at all.

>Also: Where did you read that UA classes weren't meant to be multiclassed? Every DM I know allows for it.
You fucking wot.

Give it +con modifier.
Recharge mechanic is fine because it means they might get to use it more than once a battle if they so choose.
Once combat is over you can reasonably assume that it recharges, because otherwise they'll just sit there and roll a d6 every 6 seconds until it does.
But if that sounds like it's too often, why not say you can use it a number of times equal to your con mod?

>Also: Where did you read that UA classes weren't meant to be multiclassed? Every DM I know allows for it.

This Also I think they even started to state it right there at the top of the UA iirc.

First make their breath weapon scale by 2d6 instead of 1. So they get
>2d6 at level 1
>4d6 at level 6
>6d6 at level 11
>8d6 at level 16
Second, give them some other slight buff. A simple suggestion would be +1 to AC due to their scales and 1d4 slashing claw attack.

Not sure where to as, but is there a way to get Great Weapon Style to auto work in Roll20?

What's a good ranged AoE blaster mage build?

Is evoker wizard the best fit? Would I be better off with a sorcerer of some kind?

Should I go with some

Evoker Wizard is build for exactly that.

What is the most unoptimized build you have ever made for 5e? And is it fun to play?

No idea but related-can you set up Reliable Talent to work too?

d6ro

>Baphomet wields a Huge Glaive
>it does 4d6 damage

y tho

I give them a pool of d6's equal to their CON mod and the d6's scale up one die size at levels 6, 11 and 17. So they can spend it all on a burst or spread it out.

Another option I've seen is giving them on of their racial feats for free. +1 AC and Claw Attacks brings it into line with other races.

Wot4e monk. Lolno.

What are some good DoT abilities or things that poison the enemy that you can think of?

What's a good way to make minis? I was thinking images glued to cardboard then put it in a base. I mean, models would be ideal, but I am poor college fag.

How do you know Heartcleaver is not Large sized?
But yeah, I'd totally change it into 6d6, if only for the sake of consistency.