EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

EDH/Commander General

Back on track edition.

>Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
In your experience does a lot of early ramp usually indicate to you who will win?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5s7_WbiR79E
m.youtube.com/watch?v=-jyRVt5npy0
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-bffbig-freakin-frog/
youtube.com/watch?v=aDaOgu2CQtI
youtu.be/rheCxYSHU8U
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-05-17-sidisi-zombies/
youtube.com/watch?v=rc99zBOIuYw
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/disneyland-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/big-black-clock/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-04-17-demonic-pact/
locator.wizards.com/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/brago-1-budget-restriction/
youtube.com/watch?v=uloBD9xxwZ0
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/remove-kobold/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>In your experience does a lot of early ramp usually indicate to you who will win?
Nah man, card draw is the patrician's way of threat assessment

>In your experience does a lot of early ramp usually indicate to you who will win?

No, early leads tend to indicate who's going to get beaten like a two-foot tall nerd in high school with benjamins for lunch money. The second person to really develop usually wins, with the poor threat assessment in my group leaning towards "never re-assess"

Also, it's now songposting time. What's the theme song for your favorite/most recent deck/commander.

youtube.com/watch?v=5s7_WbiR79E
Feldon

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-jyRVt5npy0

Decklist to go along with the song if anyone wants to rate or tell me why its shit.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-bffbig-freakin-frog/

youtube.com/watch?v=aDaOgu2CQtI
My Meren deck with the obvious card(s) in it.

Yes. Keep in mind that for that to be a win instead of just a bull's-eye the deck needs to actually be able to win with that advantage. If their ramp just poops out a couple Fatty's to get wrathed it's shit, if they combo off while people are still casting cultivates and shit they have the game.

Wow, weekends are shit for this thread.

What supplies do you consider to be essential?

My deck, a deck box, sleeves, snacks, maybe a playmat if I'm not sure about the cleanliness of the tables.

Deckbox with deck inside, some dice, maybe extra sleeves. Big bottle of water or tea, something to keep me awake. Condoms in case there's a femboy cutie playing and if I'm successful hitting on them.

>Condoms
>For gay sex
How are you supposed to enjoy your AIDS like that user?

Because the femboy will wear them so the sheets won't get dirty.

Just had a great game oncockatrice with this guy, fun as hell.
youtu.be/rheCxYSHU8U

Where do you play Magic that everybody including myself isn't a gross nerd?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-05-17-sidisi-zombies/
Any suggestions on my Sultai Sidisi Zombies deck? Been wanting to build a Zombie tribal for so long and think I finally settled with her at the helm

Hey Chop It's your friendly neighborhood Taarkous

>"femboys"
>not gross nerds

>go to gay bar
>approach qt
>'hey, you play EDH? Wanna see my Commander?'

Why do you guys love EDH so much? I tried playing 1v1, 4 way and 6 way and the games where so boring and long. Then someone plays an infinite combo and ruins 3 hours of "fun" what is so interesting? It just feels so boring.

It's Thromok

1v1 not only doesn't take long, but it's intense. It's like legacy but the games go wide as hell. The lead pass back and forth often, and it can always be swung around. I had an opponent at 2 get their shit right and stop me out for 4 turns and eventually getting the win.

>Why do you guys love EDH so much?
It's fun to see obscure jank that would not otherwise see play because the other formats are way too fast.

Pretty much this. Otherwise this big box of shit I have would never see play.

youtube.com/watch?v=rc99zBOIuYw
Selvala Stacks/Land Hate

You can tell this picture is old because Modern isn't on it.

>Modern

Let's use the MODO banlist for paper.

You do you, brother. I think that sounds stupid.

I think that cards that should be banned are present in virtually every deck and the only way to escape this Hell is bannings.

Whats the issue with Sol Ring? It's cheap as dirt compared to other fast mana staples, why not ban Mana Crypt and Mana Vault?

If you ban one of the fast mana rocks you may as well ban them all, you either ban all of them or none of them .

Like I said, you do you. You can craft your own banlist for you and your group, you know? It's part of what makes this great - it's meant to be a friendly, casual format. Try it out. "Hey, guys, let's swap out Sol Ring for something else, huh?"

Reminder that Prossh should be banned

Just ban Food Chain and Earthcraft and he's much more tame
or do like i do and don't play them and instead use Cryptolith Rite and have tons of fun without going infinte

Price =/= power. Sol ring would be 40$ if it wasn't reprinted in every single commander deck (something they are more than welcome to do with mana crypt).

Fast mana is inherently a problem though. You would ideally ban 4-6 of the fast mana cards if you were to do it (which is probably why they haven't, they have added less than 4 cards in the ban list in the last 4 years IIRC, and they hate to bloating the list).

You would have to ban Sol ring, mana crypt, mana vault, grim monolith, and possibly mox diamond/chrome Mox. If you did this you would probably slow down the whole format by at least a turn.

I play at my LGS in their commander nights unfortunately, can't just house rule away cards.

You don't really need to ban Vault or Mox Diamond, they're both really overrated.

Hi guys, I have a very general question about EDH. I've been playing EDH for ~4 months, I usually play Legacy and Pauper.

I started by playing my friends' decks and now built an Enchantress Voltron around pic related. After some games, I'm unsure if I like playing this... My experience is that the games are slow, with a lot of not-so-interesting interactions, when more than 3 people are involved I don't understand anything, people forget about each other's triggers, turns are long and you have to wait 15 minutes before playing again.
It sometimes raises interesting rules questions, but most of the game is just plain boring. The games end when someone reaches enough mana to exsanguinate everyone, play omniscience, or trigger Purphoros 20 times.

Oftentimes, I feel so bored that I want to scoop and go home. Is it because I'm a depressed hyperactive piece of shit? are my friends' decks stupid? is being bored to death the whole EDH experience?

You need to play more sweepers then.

Wrath of God, Toxic Deluge, Fracturing Gust, Vandalblast, Austere Command, Bane of Progress.

Keeps the board clear prevents horrible situations where too much is happening and it is hard to tell who the threat is.

Yup. It's where I can play a Dragon Tribal that is slow as hell and still reliably win.

What's the best way for Wx to sac lands? I want a way to pump up my Balancing Act and I'd prefer something more versatile and tutorable than Zuran Orb.

Actually no, while they're pretty degenerate, one sol rock is quite manageable. It's only in multiples that they become truly broken.
>t1 sol land sol ring mana crypt mana vault, flash an eldrazi titan in hand to opponent

You're playing one of the top 3 most uninteractive commanders of all time, so no shit games feel slow and uninteractive. If you want fun in EDH, you play red.

Prossh is broken no matter what he's paired up with, infinite combo or not, he's never not complete and utter bullshit.
>food chain, mana altars, earthcraft
>purphoros, bombardment, tremors etc.
>fecundity
>grave pact/dictate
>hell even asspullhoof behemoth or shaman of forgotten ways if you're truly desperate
And there are so many, many more.

Prossh is ridiculous. I'm thinking of converting my Prossh deck into a Sek'Kuar deck for that reason.

Pls help me, i want a mono-B deck but i can't decide between this
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/disneyland-1/
this
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/big-black-clock/
or this
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-04-17-demonic-pact/

What are some cards you'd like to use or are using that many people wouldn't consider using because of their drawbacks, if any?

Picture related as this baby is going into my Zygg, River Cutthroat deck.

Wow calm down. I've chosen this commander because I wanted to play an Enchantress deck, initially in Legacy, but considering the cost, playing only 1 of each expensive card and balancing with cheap jank was a good compromise. So EDH it was.

As I told you, I have basically no experience of the format. I've been thinking of a mono-red or maybe RB deck with a lot of mass damage, MLD and things like Eidolon of the Great Revel, ZoZu, Ankh of Mishra, etc. Would that be funnier/more casual?

Ok so i got this Selvala deck that im a having a lot of fun with.

It got Quest for Renewal and Seedborn Muse which allow me to use Parley under my opponents turn. But what usually happens is that i get a bunch of mana that i don't use.

So what im looking for is suggestions that allow me to use that mana during my opponents turn.

Im thinking of cards like Gemstone array or Helix Pinnacle. Things that i can have out on the board and spend mana on.

I like him. Is there any infinite loops that makes infinite tokens with him, other than with infinite mana, Reassembling Skeleton and a sac outlet

I would consider using Words of Wilding and Words of Worship, Call of the Wild, Centaur Glade or Ant Queen or Jade Mage or Nemata, Master of the Hunt, Scooze, Selesnya Guildmage, Soul of Zendikar, Splitting Slime, Splintering Wind, if you can take the risk, Temur Sabretooth, if you play any flash enablers and Wren's Run Packmaster.
Token generators are really good, especially the ones that require green, so Mobilization and other white ones are not as useful with her.

Sounds like you want a Mogis deck then
>MLD
Casuals will hate you

It's not going to be good and people will hate you.

The issue is that your playgroup is shitty instead of fun. If it's just big black, Purphoros and other uninteractive shit I recommend either finding a new playgroup or quitting EDH. Because it's multuplayer you will never have the fun you would in a nice game of Pauper or Legacy, it's one of the format's biggest problems.

What are the best monogreen board wipes?

All is dust

Aura Fracture
Chain of Silence
Excavator
Lotus Vale
Scorched Ruins

What are some must haves for ghoulcaller gisa combos etc

Thornbite Staff, Phyrexian Altar, Evernight Shade, Undying Evil.

hey, so i asked this a few days ago and didn't get much response. i'm a big EDH player and i'm moving cross-country to los angeles later this year, but i haven't had the chance to head out there yet. is there anyone out there who can recommend some game stores to check out near the north hollywood area?

Definitely the third one. The first two decks could be very strong, but they look quite lame and will always play the same.

locator.wizards.com/

i already looked and found a few, but i was hoping for some human opinions rather than just finding places that sell cards.

Great Aurora in a Token deck can put you a head of everyone else if there is a board lock.

It is a bit random though.

He's asking for an LGS with a good commander community. The locator won't tell him shit.

My local area does not host any commander nights so you have to become buddies with the local groups or you are fucked.

I hate to say this but R_dd_t is usually a good place for these type of questions.

My playgroup is going to start a new thing where we all build deck where all of the cards have to be $1 or under. Here is my list, is there any really good stuff Im missing? tappedout.net/mtg-decks/brago-1-budget-restriction/

make your deck as expensive as possible by using 99 cent snow-covered basics to impress people

Anybody?

>Asks for good game shops
>provide link for him to search
>no that isn't right

Why are you being a crybaby?

>asks for help finding a date
>provide a phonebook
>no that isn't right

Why are you being such a dumbass?

Did this idiot seriously just advocate for banning Chrome Mox?

He seems to be going off the same insane logic as Sheldon, that somehow the RC is so weak that they can't ban one thing without banning 50 others.

Sheldon makes me realized how delightfully sane the DCI usually is (Sure, the MODO commander ban list is pretty long and lousy with things that don't deserve paper bans, but it was written with 1v1 in mind, which is a different animal)

>no cute femboys at the LGS
>just weird trannies and very hairy women

Just going to go with a full album.

youtube.com/watch?v=uloBD9xxwZ0
Thelon of Havenwood fungus tribal

had a first night with my prossh deck
got hated off the table pretty hard, so i call it a success
the real problem is me and my decision making
that said, any suggestions on further cuts/adds?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/remove-kobold/

Looks fine to me, personally i would try to put more creature ramp than signets and rocks, things like Wood Elves that you can sac to Prossh after they hit the field for added value.
I would try to find some space for Hornet Queen, also Awekening Zone and From Beyond are a nice source of mana that goes well with the sacrifice theme of the deck.

Mazirek doesn't really work in my opinion, usually you want to try make Prossh die to recast him and get more tokens so he doesn't stick around much for those +1/+1 to really shine

I was thinking about more mana dorks. From Beyond I had taken out since this used to be a Mazirek deck. I'll consider it.
I agree, I had drawn him last night and really couldn't do anything with him.

added atarka world renderer for fun
replaced scrying and fellwar stone with dorks
might remove atarka for from beyond but double strike prossh sounds hilarious

There are better double strike outlets

>
>There are better double strike outlets
Agreed, I just have atarka on hand.

Only Aura Fracture is really usable out of those, but thanks

Both mox diamond and chrome mox cost you an additional card to play, not including itself, and mox opal is a dead card without metalcraft. I would argue that those three are less problematic than the other fast mana sources.

Thank (You) for proving my point

Are the Mirage slowfetches playable if you aren't in a super cutthroat meta?

Yes.

I guess.

it depends on how casual the meta is. if you're not super pressed for mana all the time, sure. if you're in a meta where you'd happily play terramorphic expanse and evolving wilds, go ahead and play the slow fetches too.

Yes, but speaking from experience they feel really bad compared to other fetchlands.

If you can play Terramorphic Expanse or Evolving Wilds you can play the slowfetches.

Anyone else jerk off a lot in LGS bathrooms? I didn't use to do it so often, but there are so many girls who play Magic now and everytime I dominate one in an EDH game, or destroy their cuck of a boyfriend while they watch I just get so turned on I have to go into the bathroom and combo my thick gooey nut with the nearest wall thinking about how helpless they are before my powerful Kalemne deck, and how hot their feet are.

>not cucking the grill and stealing the boyfriend
You're playing Kalemne wrong fampai

How are the storage lands in a casual setting? my LGS has one guy who uses a single land destruction card because he sometimes has a Gitrog deck.

i like the storage lands for casual a lot. durdling for a few turns before a big explosive play is the defining characteristic of casual edh

if you have a way to abuse counters or plan to leave mana open during others' turns and LD isn't a real issue, go for it

>powerful Kalemne deck
This was the giveaway that you're lying. Cool story bro.

If you ever find yourself at my table boy, you will witness the power that is Boros. Best hope that day never comes, or your despair will fuel my next gelatinous genesis.

Just never cast Kalemne. It's all MLD and board wipes.

That's actually pretty accurate. I try to play a bunch of recurrable critters, play some control with Sunforger, then wipe all lands after she resolves with a sword on the field.

Have you ever actually used the oversized commander cards?