CRPGs

So, Veeky Forums, what is your favourite cRPG? What is your favourite recreation of PnP in a computer game? And, what do you think of cRPGs, like pic related, or Fallout, Darklands, Gold Box games, or more recent Shadowrun games and Pillars of Eternity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sj9cPK2_qKU
youtube.com/watch?v=xYxt7cwDk4E
lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I forgot to ask this: What do you think is the most faithful representation of RPGs in cRPGs?

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 are pretty good, but the best is Temple of Elemental Evil

That's what I thought the response would be, because of ToEE's combat and NWN's extensive and robust engine that allows modding and third party modules.
I've got a question regarding Planescape Torment; I haven't played the PnP campaign, but loved the computer game, so what I'm asking is, is the cRPG faithful to the original, and how far does it go to emulate the PnP version?

Planescape Torment does the setting great justice, but I don't think it's an adaptation of any particular module. It is also extremely text- and exposition-heavy. I don't think it represents RPGs all that well, P:T's narration would require extremely immersed players and a space alien DM, otherwise it would be denigrated in the trappings of a tabletop RPG.

Generally speaking computer RPGs aren't 100% free and they coast off of illusion of choice.

And yes, NWN, IWD2 and ToEE are the most faithful representation of D&D 3.5 - it's about building cool characters and exploring interesting ideas and, in case of ToEE, tactical turn-based combat. For general RPG, I don't know. Fallout has great exploration and cool choices and the combat is rather tight, crunchy, and the descriptions of actions and locations in the bottom left corner are flavourful and work well.

Generally speaking what RPGs do best is party-based shenanigans and tactics. Being able to calculate everything on the fly by a computer is great. Relying on shitting out exposition or pre-generated party banter can be fun, and I enjoy DAO or BG, but I wouldn't say it's the essence of RPGs.

BG2 definitely had some of the best encounter design in RPGs ever, and games like Pillars of Eternity failed to deliver on that front.

I was pretty fond of the KOTOR games.

I'm not sure if they're based on a specific system, but the engine is definitely a d20 derivitive. Basically felt like DnD with Star Wars shit.

>what is your favorite cRPG?

Deus Ex

>what is your favorite recreation of PnP in a computer game?

Planescape Torment

>And, what do you think of cRPGs, like pic related, or Fallout, Darklands, Gold Box games, or more recent Shadowrun games and Pillars of Eternity?

I think trying to transfer tabletop mechanics, rigid rules and guidelines meant to give a creative GM constructive boundaries to work with, to a computer, something that is already bounded by rigid rules, is a stupid idea. The only games that I can think of when it comes to actually recreating the experience of playing a tabletop rpg are games that are extremely loose in their definition of what the player is bound by, often simulation heavy games like Dwarf Fortress and other roguelikes or more Looking Glass style games that focus on interacting with a complex world through fairly simple controls.

Divinity: Original Sin. IT's one of the only RPGs I've ever played where every single major class wasn't just fun to play, but was highly effective, and the only one where the skill system did nearly everything right.

If you can get your hands on the Planescape books I highly recommend it. DiTerlizzi's art is fucking fantastic and deserves to be seen in person.

Yes, it was based on Star Wars d20 by WotC, basically Star Wars DnD, I never played it, but really would like to.
Yeah, I know, but if you live outside USA there's a big chance you'll never play a PnP RPG, so cRPGs are your only way, or hopefully an introduction to the RPG world.
There is a video game being made, Divinity: Original Sin II, it will have a "GM mode", where players will be able to play together like in PnP games, it's similar to Roll20, or Tabletop simulator, but uses the 3D game engine. Here's a video:
youtube.com/watch?v=sj9cPK2_qKU

I wish, I was searching for it this week, and found only one, costing £160. I found one a year ago, this guy was selling it for 15$, but I didn't have the money at the time.
I really like these old books and systems, like the old D&D, VtM or Cyberpunk 2020, they seem very cheesy, but that's why they are so fun.

>So, Veeky Forums, what is your favourite cRPG?

Fallout: New Vegas

>What is your favourite recreation of PnP in a computer game?

In terms of the adaptation of a franchise that originated as PnP, D&D Online. In terms of recreating the spirit and freedom found in PnP games, Fallout: New Vegas.

>What do you think is the most faithful representation of RPGs in cRPGs?

D&D Online, Neverwinter Nights and, if it pans out, Divinity Original Sin II's dungeonmaster mode.

An obviously, from a meta perspective, Knights of Pen & Paper.

And, what do you think of cRPGs, like pic related, or Fallout, Darklands, Gold Box games, or more recent Shadowrun games and Pillars of Eternity?

Like any genre of vidya they range from great to shit.

Yeah, some of those old books were great. I kinda just want to smell them. Gaming books from the 90s had a particular smell to them and I just know it'd be pure nostalgia to hold one.

>if you live outside USA
I don't know where you live, but rpgs are huge in Europe, and have some presence in Japan.

*You just need to know where to look.

Planescape books are outlandishly overpriced right now, unless you get lucky and find one in a used book store, or something like that. Spelljammer, too, or most old RPG books really.

>c"""""""""""""rpgs""""""""""""

>So, Veeky Forums, what is your favourite cRPG?
Hard to say. Probably Baldurs Gate 2 + mods. Wizardry 8 is a guilty pleasure as well.

>What is your favourite recreation of PnP in a computer game?
Planescape Torment. Maybe not mechanically, but that game is super cool.

>And, what do you think of cRPGs, like pic related, or Fallout, Darklands, Gold Box games,
Lots of fun to be had, but some are forgotten for a good reason. I have personally wanted to go through all of the Ultima games in order for a while.

>or more recent Shadowrun games and Pillars of Eternity?
Pillars of Eternity kind of sucked, but Divinity Original Sin was pretty rad. Shadowrun is neat, but I didn't find the main campaign that compelling. I will need to look into the mods for that game.

Fall From Grace is one of my favorite cRPG characters. Her "brothel" was so perfect for Planescape and really fun as well.

My biggest issue is that my PnP group has played only cRPGs (and not a lot of them), but I have played a lot of them, and read about them and real RPGs, so they expect "Skyrim: tabletop", they just get drunk and do "crazy shit" around towns, disrespect me, the rules and just don't care about the story.

Since you've already talked with them about it and it hasn't worked out, best to just find a new group.

I wish I could, but none of my other friends like RPGs, and I live in a backwards town where most of population is either teenagers or old people.
At least when I, too get drunk, it becomes fun for me, as well.

I'm always puzzled when people talk about their IRL situation when they can just go online and find a group as easy as clicking a button. There's no shortage of games, and you can afford to go through players or GMs since there'll always be more. If you have time to sit down and game for four hours IRL, then you have time to sit at a computer and game.

My vote goes for Icewind Dale 1. I really liked the feeling of being a random adventurer in a big fantasy world, who accidentally gets caught up in an epic quest.
I liked the sequel, but there was a bit too much min-maxing for my taste.

But it doesn't have that same feeling as sitting down with friends, having fun, and then afterwards talking about it, months later about characters and things that happened in game, you know. I WOULD do this, if my best friend was up for it, but sadly his attention span is too short to play for four hours straight.

No game is better than a bad game.

Try playing Darklands, or Realms of Arkania, the latter one is based on the Dark Eye, yes, that goofy German game, but the computer one is great.

>Darklands
Amazing, but so far ahead of it's time. I remember installing it back in the day where "a ton of floppy discs" was the only option. I'd love to see a modern take on it, as well as the sequel that never materialized.

>BaldursGate2
Uh, that's the cover for the Dragon Mountain box set, not Baldur's Gate.
Am I the only one bothered by that?

>what is your favourite cRPG?
Decker

>PnP in a computer game?
V:tM Bloodlines

>what do you think of cRPGs?
Hit and miss, depends on what's being done and how well it's executed.

>that's the cover for the Dragon Mountain box set
They just used the pictures from D&D adventures for Baldur's Gate II "Enhanced Edition" wallpapers.
Here's another one

>Darklands
Reading about this, it sounds really cool. I can't believe that I passed this game up before hand. I would love to see what a modern equivalent would be like.

Well, the closest thing would be Mount and Blade, or it's "spiritual sequel", Serpent in the Staglands, although, that game is nothing like Darklands.

Shadowrun Dragonfall is pretty baller, son. Hong Kong is good in different ways.

There's supposed to be Cyberpunk 2077 game. It's apparently coming out next year. Best thing, Mike Pondsmith is working on it.
youtube.com/watch?v=xYxt7cwDk4E

Oh hey, cool announcement, welcome to 2012.

I hate MMOs

>favourite
Pic related. A lot less freedom than in other games, but the world feels alive like no other I have ever played.
I also always mention spiderweb games in these threads. It's good mindless dungeon crawling with more or less generic fantasy stories.
>favourite recreation
I like Fallout and bloodlines.
>more recent
I mostly play rougelikes, Skyrim and pic related these days. But it comes down to like 3-4 hours max a week, because I have other stuff to do.

Baldur's gate 2 is the only one I can still go playthrough over and over and enjoy

I know everything that's going to happen, but I still love it all the same.

KOTOR II

Fallout games are great, too bad there isn't a real PnP version.

If you haven't given Tyranny for PC a try, I recommend it. Gameplay mechanics are reminiscent of the BG series, the character trees are distinct enough to be interesting, and the story is good. The story also gets bonus points for replayability, because the decisions you make actually matter and can change you entire gaming experience.

The world is neat enough that I'd love to see a pnp version of it just to fuck around with the lore and mechanics.

It does. One with SPECIAL, one with GURPS.

What's a cRPG?

Croatian RPG, called cRPG the same way wRPG is for western and jRPG for japanese RPG.

Slav RPGs a best

computer Role Playing Game, or cRPG

Other video games, too

This user has good opinions.

He also gives great head. . . don't tell anyone though.

Does Croatia even have any RPGs?
I know that Underrail was made by a Serbian guy.

Croteam should make something else rather than spawning a hundreds of iterations of Serious Sam games.
Talos Principle was a breath of fresh air.

There is a tabletop RPG called Awaken.

As someone who played Fallout 1 in like, 2010, it's my favorite cRPG. There are other ones that have better writing, mechanics, larger worlds, grander plots.

But Fallout 1 was tight. Efficient. It wasted nothing. It didn't feel like it was any larger than it had to be, there were no issues with what it had, it used every ingredient smoothly and correctly to deliver a top-notch experience with no overhead. It displayed finesse and mastery.

KotOR1 was bretty gud. Generic Star Wars, good feel, good twist.

KotOR2 was 10/10 wonderful. Favorite star wars game. Did more to build up Revan than KotOR1. It also masterfully sidestepped (even USED) the trap of trying to immitate #1; when it comes down to it, anyone who played 1 then 2 would go basically waiting for that sicknasty plottwist. Which... even if you don't know what it is, when you go through expecting a plot twist, it saps a lot of the impact.

So they just didn't. Instead of one big one, there are many small ones, each changing a fragment of the story until at the end of it it's hard to trace a path between where you started and what you ended up with- but every step along that path felt perfectly natural and reasonable. It's probably my favorite cRPG, but hounded by >Obsidian, needs you to play K1 to appreciate it, and isn't to everyone's taste.

Dragonfall is like KotOR1, but Shadowrun and a little more mature. I love it.

Hong Kong is like KotOR2 except they fell into that trap, tried to out-plot-twist its predecessor, and didn't so much fail as deliver the same performance- which wasn't as good when everyone was looking out for it, expecting it. Still bretty gud.

honorable mentions:
New Vegas is lodsefun
NWN was my crpg cherry
Icewind Dale has the best tutorial ever
I really liked planescape but need to get around to beating it. I'm so clueless about the mechanics and didn't want to rest-spam for my wizard spells to kill monsters that I didn't get very far.

Alpha Protocol.
Because there were meaningful choices, and the characters and dialogue were great.

Currently I'm playing the shit out of King of the Dragon Pass.

>I'm so clueless about the mechanics and didn't want to rest-spam for my wizard spells to kill monsters that I didn't get very far.
It's easy, you rest-spam only for first few levels, after that you learn enough spells (from other mages and scrolls) to play without it, plus if you get Ignus and Grace, it's even easier.

> King of the Dragon Pass
You mean King of the Cow Pass?

We'll make an unending herd of cattle, my thane. The biggest the world has ever seen.

A great Kotor II textual let's play + analysis, includes restaured content. I recommend it to everyone, even if you finished the game several times.

lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

Scion and Nihilus are some of the best SW vilain designs.