Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Defeat Edition

Maybe you overestimated your players' capabilities or underestimated their bad luck, maybe they had a really stupid idea or maybe you just overshoot with monsters' stats. The question is, how do you cope with defeat? Retcons, tactical retreat to tackle the encounter later, incorporating it into the plot? Maybe just lots of salty tears?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/PeD1SMUZ

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/threads/rzs2t1a6&page=3?Does-ammunition-fired-from-a-magical#130
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/77814/ensoulment-of-the-flower-court
youtu.be/_UQdeJ7qzyg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

capture and escape scenarios at low levels

Ressurection by the BBEG/other high powered forces with geas-type scenarios at higher levels

For those PCs for whom being captured/bound does nothing, better to have them overly secured like having all 4 limbs chained up, gagged and mind-drugged to prevent purely mental action

>Archery is Balanced.jpg
It is now motherfucker paizo.com/threads/rzs2t1a6&page=3?Does-ammunition-fired-from-a-magical#130

Based paizo putting those filthy martials in their place

I give my players a 1-a-game saving grace if the circumstances would theoretically permit them to live a situation where they would normally die, such as the situation in a game not too long ago where a player was about to die to a bunch of Rogues but their healer was there to technically heal him mid-stabbing so he didn't totally die from his injuries.

If the healer wasn't there he would have been super dead.

Kinda annoying to get cut off mid conversation. Thanks to the user from the deleted thread for the tvtropes philosophy tropes links, anyone else have any useful material to help a brainlet app for
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/77814/ensoulment-of-the-flower-court

No prob dude. I'm using that link right now actually, and am in your same position.

We are a level 8 group formation:

Alchemist, Artificer, Cryptic ,Soul Knife and a Inquisitor

I sort of want to see if I could put Micolash Cage in Flower Court, if only to see him play off of the others who are more standard adventurers.

Sadness, then some cheering up. Maybe some cocoa.

But user what does Micolash Cage BELIEVE IN!

Are more people applying to Flower Court than Pilgrimage?

Despite Flower Court being talked about it more it looks like Pilgrimage actually has more apps. I think it's also got the highest quality of apps right now too, but a lot could change. Feels like the players that applied to both just polished their Pilgrimage apps first.

Flower Court is one day younger and has one less application, but they've both been around for so short a period of time that it is impossible to say.

Darn, I wanted to get a feel for which one I'd have a better chance of getting in.

The wellbeing of the kingdom, as he believes civilization is the greatest strength Humanity has. It's more of a TN view, though. He doesn't value law for its own sake, but rather as a tool.

Okay.

So, what kind of builds can we make with 1PP content which would constitute something akin to a WMD/Nuke etc.?

Just apply for both. You have time.

Nothing that would be below level 12. You'd need full casting most likely.

Or locate city bomb.

Andrik x Franze
Kyras x Viviana
Antoinette x Zombie Bandit
Branwen x Dragon Patron

Fite me nerds, you know I'm right

Blingmaker Greentext here, because I'm an idiot and didn't wait for a new thread.

Appreciate it, thanks.

Thanks, Blingmakers. Awkward morality talk, huh? I remember those fondly. How heated did it get?

It seems hard to just port any old app over to Flower Court without just rolling with "generic hero" ideals. A lot of people seem to be taking their time.

So, /pfg/, is most of the RP in your games talking heads, as in just conversations, or is it actions?

Alright, I will. Put em up.

Since some people have been struggling with their apps, here's a thing that I've found somewhat helpful.

1. What's the character's name?
2. Did they choose this name or was it given to them?
3. How's the character's relationship with their parents?
4. Does the character have a favorite food?
5. If the character was asked a trolley problem question or fantasy equivalent, how would they respond?
6. What does the character like to wear? Do they have different clothing than their adventuring gear? Why or why not?
7. What kind of music does the character like?
8. If the character is flirted with by someone they find attractive, how would they respond?
9. What about someone they don't find attractive?
10. When given a meal they dislike, how does the character respond? Do they eat it anyway? Go hungry? Order something else?
11. Does the character drink? If yes, what sort of alcohol do they like?
12. How does the character respond to praise?
13. Does the character ever plan on settling down in the future?
14. If not, is there a specific reason for it or are they just unsure?
15. How well does the character handle money? If given a windfall, what's the first thing they do?
16. Does the character like their job?
17. Is there something else the character wishes they were doing with their lives instead?
18. Does the character drink coffee? How do they take it?
19. Does the character like sweets?
20. How does the character respond to criticism?
21. What did you just learn about your character?

The chat between Viviana and Andrik was fairly civil, just two people working through their feelings about a shitty situation.

When Antoinette's zombie came out... that got nasty, and may have come to blows, had the bandits not attacked.

>8. If the character is flirted with by someone they find attractive, how would they respond?
This is the most relevant question in /pfg/ games, isn't it.

>Implying it's not "9. What about someone they don't find attractive?"

He flirts back, but ends up joking so much to hide his insecurity that he makes them think he's not interested.

Did Blingmaker run late, or did it run as usual with late green text?

Late Greentext. I've been hella busy this week.

Got 'em up.
Not really sure where to go from here. Nobody ever takes me up on this, gonna be honest.

What's your objection?

Pharasmins hate that stuff. She's a fool for being so brazen about it unless he was mum about his faith. And Pharasma is super popular, so that's a huge gamble anyway.

I like this. Filling it out for all my characters for personal notes!

Next session is going to be a lot of talking. All of the sessions so far have been, but next session especially.
-Franze

>4. Does the character have a favorite food

STRfag cock

I like that it gives a bit more to what their small actions are like. We often work a lot towards the backstories of the characters, or their combat abilites, but rarely the simple things. I also suggest following EnsoulmentGMs advice and establish a philosophy that the character lives or acts by.

Necromancers are always such cancer for games.

The dragon is a fundamentally toxic relationship, distant at best and implied to be as abusive or worse than Branwen's mother.

And there's almost nothing Franze has in common with Andrik outside alignment. At best, you're 2 for 4.

>t. STRfag

Consider the following benefit, and assume that it is attached to a feat with a negligible prerequisite:
>You may choose to use your Constitution modifier in place of your Dexterity modifier for sake of determining your bonus to Armor Class
>Ranged Attack Rolls, Reflex Saves, Initiative, and all relevant Skills continue to be based off of Dexterity

How much breaks should this be introduced? What alterations and limitations should it have to make it "balanced"? Which classes, in the 1pp and the common /pfg/ 3pp circles, benefit the most from this? Most importantly, would you accept the existence of this feat if it were introduced? What about if it were made "free" in a game using feat-tax rules?

>This is a game where you, over the course of your adventures, get to define what it means to be a hero for a new cultural paradigm. You will be followed by poets who will retell you stories with the intention of capturing the hearts of the masses, and if you give them good material, over the course of the campaign they will succeed. How do you desire to shape a society through your influence?
I really want to apply. I really do, so I can be the symbol of Justice and Guts I always to be.
Why can't my schedule be good to me!?

My biggest issue is that con to AC and dex to AC imply very different things.

How's flat-footedness work into it, for one thing?

The game-time on the listing is just app close time. Protag has said his actual availability is "every evening except maybe thursdays".

Well, how do you respond, user?

Adding to this now that I'm off my phone--he also lets the same little shoulder-devil that tells him to keep his head down and not make any friends convince him that their flirtation must be some kind of a trick.

One is straight up dodging, the other is knowing how to minimize impacts by glancing them off your rock-hard abs?

The problem is I plan on being in an internship by then so no games for me

Dex is any normal person trying to avoid a hit.
Con is being Mr. Heart.

>The "my speed is superior" shitpost strfags use
>the outcome of this image
really makes you think

I wasn't saying 'what is the fluff difference between them' because I'm well aware.

The question is 'why does being super tough also mean you can't dodge' and 'does being caught unawares mean that you're somehow less tough?'

>implying Kenshiro is pure DEX

Nigga's shredded like mozzarella cheese. Perfect physicals, probably 20+ across the board.

Subtle body movements, and being able to brace for impact. If someone walks up behind you and slaps you in the side it'll be very different from if your friend walks up and you see him going for your side.

The problem with that is Ken is rocking a straight up a Quality Muscle-Wizard build, so that doesn't apply to him. Plus he straight up cheated with his magical Hokuto bullshit

>1. What's the character's name?
Won't answer user and shit
>2. Did they choose this name or was it given to them?
Given
>3. How's the character's relationship with their parents?
Old parents sold him to pay a debt, the debt collectors basically raised him as their children.
>4. Does the character have a favorite food?

Roasted Meat on the bone
>5. If the character was asked a trolley problem question or fantasy equivalent, how would they respond?
Probably would try to get the greater out of the situation.
>6. What does the character like to wear? Do they have different clothing than their adventuring gear? Why or why not?
Nah he looks like a town guard, he doesn't care about fashion
>7. What kind of music does the character like?
Nordic music (Ulfen)
>8. If the character is flirted with by someone they find attractive, how would they respond?
Probably would get an autismo shock, reserved as fuck
>9. What about someone they don't find attractive?
Probably would be chill and answer nope.
>10. When given a meal they dislike, how does the character respond? Do they eat it anyway? Go hungry? Order something else?
Eat, can't be a ungrateful pussy
>11. Does the character drink? If yes, what sort of alcohol do they like?
Beer and Vodka
>12. How does the character respond to praise?
Probably will answer with a thanks or y-you too
>13. Does the character ever plan on settling down in the future?
maybe

Not even close. Playing a cute caster right now!

Kenshiro 's physical capabilities are beyond the scope of str or dexfaggotry.

He is Q U A L I T Y in the most perfect state.

Yeah, even food is awesome, because that's an experience they can share with other characters. Make some nice banter or cute moments

So a stock barbarian?

But the Dragon is also rich and powerful. It would be hard to find a juicier catch as far as gold digging goes.

>14. If not, is there a specific reason for it or are they just unsure?
Because too much shit is happening and he knows that his current lifestyle is not healthy at all for a family
>15. How well does the character handle money? If given a windfall, what's the first thing they do?
He is pretty conservative with his expenses, only adventuring gear that will improve his survival
>16. Does the character like their job?
Private Eye
>17. Is there something else the character wishes they were doing with their lives instead?
Probably drinking and complaining about life in a tavern
>18. Does the character drink coffee? How do they take it?
A bit of coffee, heightened awareness use coffee as a component too
>19. Does the character like sweets?
Nothing against, but don't reject if he has to eat one
>20. How does the character respond to criticism?
Depends on who does it, if he has no respect for the person he will probably ignore it.
>21. What did you just learn about your character?

He is an autistic fuck

*unsheathes nodachi*

He is an Inquisitor

>Kenshiro is a Monk with the point-buy they need.

Really activates those almonds.

I wouldn't know, my players destroy everything I throw at them.

I'm just not good at running monsters.

So you crave for STRfags cocks.

Slut

Starting from 2 to make it interesting:
>Given to them
>Good with their mother, terrible with their father
>Beef or pork, as rare as can be found
>Save the greatest number, unless someone they care about is on the track with fewer people, in which case they'll save them
>Andoran drinking songs
>Flirt back, but jokingly due to low self-esteem
>Gently but firmly let them down and suggest they keep their relationship professional
>Eat it anyway, beggars can't be choosers
>Yes, but only to excess when they've got cash to burn, enjoys wine and ale
>With a joke to deflect it and take the piss out of themselves
>Yes, though they haven't really thought out how apart from maybe moving somewhere else like the River Kingdoms, or perhaps Andoran or Taldor
>Very frugally, though they often end up blowing a lot of their money on maintaining their weapons, armor, and animal companion
>Not really, but they like the part of their job where they can scare people and let their id loose
>They want to be a hero who helps people and is admired and welcomed by others
>No, they've never tried it but for one time, and it didn't agree with them
>Yes
>They take the criticism stoically and insist they'll do better next time
>If they weren't in their current campaign, with their current campaign traits, they'd probably have very little reason to stick around once they get their first adventure over with

Maybe you have to start pulling bullshit encounters, just make sure you don't kill then. But let then taste defeat once in a while

I think I recognize this one. Dude needs to learn to switch off, maybe take a break and take in a play. Something schlocky.

Bad Knights 2, or maybe The Breaking of the Point. Probably both.

Really, the only score I'd imagine Ken having low would be Cha, considering how often his Intimidate and Diplomacy checks fail.

Actually, assume optimal Super Stats, what class/feats/build would Ken have? Said build must have not only basic Hokuto Exploding, but also Musou Tensei and being able to channel the skills of his former friends/enemies

Some kinda quingong/unchained monk for all those ki-powers.

And quite possibly, a monk version of Ninja's Forgotten Trick, but for ki powers.

Think you got the wrong guy

They're just so big and filling!

Self-pact Avowed // Medium gestalt, if we take "channeling the skills of his former friends/enemies" literally

Well Monk does have the exploding in the form of Quivering Palm.

Unchained Monk of some sort is pretty much the only real way to get the sheer volume of unarmed strikes with the accuracy necessary. He probably has a massive Stunning Fist/Quivering Palm DC and something to force people to roll twice for it.

He can't be self-pact. Everything he has done was never for selfish self improvement, but rather has always fought for other people, whether it be Yuria, Shuu, Toki, or Lin. Ken never fights alone, for he has the spirits of others giving him strength

I know it's a sin but mechanically it makes sense to me, i'll let people with more anime knowledge figure this one out tho

He would probably have some kind of archetype focusing more on stunning fist/quivering palm.

One that expands on the sort of stuff you can do with it, a bit like Quivering Palm Versatility, but more so.

Doesn't Monk of The Mantis get stuff for altered Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm?

Can there be rabbit agathion aasimar?

No.

Mantis Monks get sneak attack they can only use during a flurry

They get the ability to entangle and exhaust the target of their stunning fist for 1 round or wis mod rounds.

And they can knock people out with quivering palm instead of killing them if they want. Although it does last for minutes, whereas the knockout from Quivering Palm Versatility lasts DAYS.

1. What's the character's name?
I'm not sure yet, but the app is for Pilgrimage,
2. Did they choose this name or was it given to them?
It was given to her by her mother and father
3. How's the character's relationship with their parents?
Her mother is deceased, but her father is still around, and is the head of the school of martial arts that she is set to inherit.
4. Does the character have a favorite food?
Roasted Duck, or Salmon.
5. If the character was asked a trolley problem question or fantasy equivalent, how would they respond?
She'd try and save as many lives as possible, pulling the level without hesitation if a win-win situation isn't immediately apparent.
6. What does the character like to wear? Do they have different clothing than their adventuring gear? Why or why not?
She likes to wear her training garb, used for morning practice, but also has finery for formal events where her or her families presence is needed, and an adventuring set of clothes that is somewhat in the middle of the two for more daily use.
7. What kind of music does the character like?
She likes calmer music, usually the traditional/folk kind for her country, but also
8. If the character is flirted with by someone they find attractive, how would they respond?
She'd flirt back, and attempt to maintain a level of social grace and not embarrass herself, to varying degrees of success.
9. What about someone they don't find attractive?
She rejects them with no misunderstandings, but also takes care and tries to leave as few hurt feelings as possible.
10. When given a meal they dislike, how does the character respond? Do they eat it anyway? Go hungry? Order something else?
It's polite to eat what is given you, but she'd not ask for seconds or politely refuse them. If it was made by her younger siblings, she'd try it, but probably make something herself or get someone to do that for her.

cont.

11. Does the character drink? If yes, what sort of alcohol do they like?
Wine of most flavors, white or red.
12. How does the character respond to praise?
She acknowledges those who helped, but deep down is quite happy that people complimented her.
13. Does the character ever plan on settling down in the future?
She planned to inherit her father's school as master and also hopefully get married.
14. If not, is there a specific reason for it or are they just unsure?
The call for the pilgrimage came to her father and then to her, and she couldn't pass it up without ruining the reputation of their tradition, and later endangering the school and her family.
15. How well does the character handle money? If given a windfall, what's the first thing they do?
She's frugal, but not necessarily cheap. She understands that sometimes spending a lot is important. She'd probably hold on to any sudden windfall if there weren't things that could immediately use it.
16. Does the character like their job?
Though she would carry out her duty as a pilgrimage member to the best of her ability, she probably won't enjoy it.
17. Is there something else the character wishes they were doing with their lives instead?
She'd rather be back at home in her role of assistant master for the school.
18. Does the character drink coffee? How do they take it?
She drinks tea actually, black or green.
19. Does the character like sweets?
Yes! But she limits herself to only occasional indulgences.
20. How does the character respond to criticism?
She takes it seriously if not a bit too personal. She might dwell on it too much.
21. What did you just learn about your character?
A lot, since I basically used this to actually put the loose ideas in my head on to paper.

Fun exercise. I like it. Not sure if I like that art, but it works for now.

Locate City bomb uses 3.x material, violating the 1PP content concept.

Perhaps I was also vague, I didn't necessarily mean explicitly ridiculous amounts of damage, but also things like wide scale aoe's/environment destruction or lingering affects such as radiation/disease/etc. Stuff that a magical equivalent of the Geneva convention would seek to restrict.

I was expecting full caster majority to be honest, but considered that Alchemists, Kineticists etc. may have similar potential abilities.

Oh damn, I should have formatted that better.

Jesus christ.

Do Paizo hate their audience or something?

>implying their audience plays martials

Martials can't even be trans

Why would you want that? Rabbits are super needy and get upset if you stop showering them with love and affection.

youtu.be/_UQdeJ7qzyg

Balian Beauchamps would disagree.

>Vult trying to help Macro
I liked the burn at the end at least

this is so obscure that nobody will ever remember it or care

One more try, this time with better formatting hopefully.

>1. What's the character's name?
I'm not sure yet, but the app is for Pilgrimage,
>2. Did they choose this name or was it given to them?
It was given to her by her mother and father
>3. How's the character's relationship with their parents?
Her mother is deceased, but her father is still around, and is the head of the school of martial arts that she is set to inherit.
>4. Does the character have a favorite food?
Roasted Duck, or Salmon.
>5. If the character was asked a trolley problem question or fantasy equivalent, how would they respond?
She'd try and save as many lives as possible, pulling the level without hesitation if a win-win situation isn't immediately apparent.
>6. What does the character like to wear? Do they have different clothing than their adventuring gear? Why or why not?
She likes to wear her training garb, used for morning practice, but also has finery for formal events where her or her families presence is needed, and an adventuring set of clothes that is somewhat in the middle of the two for more daily use.
>7. What kind of music does the character like?
She likes calmer music, usually the traditional/folk kind for her country, but also
She'd flirt back, and attempt to maintain a level of social grace and not embarrass herself, to varying degrees of success.
>9. What about someone they don't find attractive?
She rejects them with no misunderstandings, but also takes care and tries to leave as few hurt feelings as possible.
>10. When given a meal they dislike, how does the character respond? Do they eat it anyway? Go hungry? Order something else?
It's polite to eat what is given you, but she'd not ask for seconds or politely refuse them. If it was made by her younger siblings, she'd try it, but probably make something herself or get someone to do that for her.

>Buschbaum

I am retarded.

>11. Does the character drink? If yes, what sort of alcohol do they like?
Wine of most flavors, white or red.
>12. How does the character respond to praise?
She acknowledges those who helped, but deep down is quite happy that people complimented her.
>13. Does the character ever plan on settling down in the future?
She planned to inherit her father's school as master and also hopefully get married.
>14. If not, is there a specific reason for it or are they just unsure?
The call for the pilgrimage came to her father and then to her, and she couldn't pass it up without ruining the reputation of their tradition, and later endangering the school and her family.
>15. How well does the character handle money? If given a windfall, what's the first thing they do?
She's frugal, but not necessarily cheap. She understands that sometimes spending a lot is important. She'd probably hold on to any sudden windfall if there weren't things that could immediately use it.
>16. Does the character like their job?
Though she would carry out her duty as a pilgrimage member to the best of her ability, she probably won't enjoy it.
>17. Is there something else the character wishes they were doing with their lives instead?
She'd rather be back at home in her role of assistant master for the school.
>18. Does the character drink coffee? How do they take it?
She drinks tea actually, black or green.
>19. Does the character like sweets?
Yes! But she limits herself to only occasional indulgences.
>20. How does the character respond to criticism?
She takes it seriously if not a bit too personal. She might dwell on it too much.
>21. What did you just learn about your character?
A lot, since I basically used this to actually put the loose ideas in my head on to paper.

Much better. This was a fun thing to try out. Really helped get in the mind of the character.

Let's stop.

It was a little disagreement. I don't mean any ill will towards Vult and I don't like getting caught up in his memes.

Disagreements happen, and we put it away like adults.

Whoever you are in the cabal channel, shame on you. Shame on both of you for snarking in public over something so small.

What are people's favorite mageknight archetypes and mystic combats?