MTG LEGACY GENERAL: HORRIBLE CANCER EDITION

What cards/decks/players do you think are horrible cancer? Pic no longer related.
RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art, by sets, by artists, and more
basiclandart.tumblr.com

> Budget lists for newer players
docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?usp=sharing

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Deck Database
pastebin.com/44w1kkRZ

Other urls found in this thread:

mtg.summoning.ru/cards_eng/Trinisphere.shtml
mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?25474-I-m-a-Juggernaut-gt-Drop-gt-SCG-Atlanta-with-M0AT_ST0MPY
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/legacy-challenge-2017-05-22
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Deathrite Shaman. It's not that the card is overly powerful, it's that it homogenizes a large swathe of the decks in the format to a point that when you opponent goes Underground Sea/Trop -> Deathrite you can often name +75% of the cards in their deck. DRS and the decks it facilitates are boring to play against, they are literally the most milquetoast deck to play in the format.

Chalice will always be my hated.

I dislike Abrupt Decay, but I genuinely hate Council's Judgement and the way it gets around hexproof/shroud.

On the other hand it's 3 mana in a format where there is A FUCKING TRUE-NAME NEMESIS WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING?

Really? I think it's the opposite actually, there are a ton of different decks that can go usea into deathrite, you don't know if they are on a delver variant, a midrange deck, something slower and more control-like, or even a combo deck like aluren. The card has such a high power level on its own that it forces decks to play it, even if they have to go out of their way.

>True-Name Nemesis

This would probably get my vote. I see it's place in multiplayer, but in one-on-one games it's really dumb and doesn't belong.

Also now that Miracles is dead, I hope they unban Balance.

>The card has such a high power level on its own that it forces decks to play it, even if they have to go out of their way.

This is basically what I'm saying, it homogenizes the format into B/G/X, and most B/G/X decks play a small handful of cards because they are the generic pushed cards that wizards has shit out over the past couple of year for those colors (Leovold, TNN, Decay, ect.) in addition to the tradition format all stars.

>you don't know if they are on a delver variant, a midrange deck, something slower and more control-like, or even a combo deck like aluren.

The problem is that the BUG midrange/control/combo decks share the same shell, they are pretty damn similar, they are all going to have the basic shell of:
19-22 Lands
4x DRS
3-4x Hymn
3-4x Force
4x Brainstorm
3-4x Ponder
3-4x Fatal Push
1-3x Abrupt decay
1-2x Leovold
1-2x JTMS
1-2x LoTV
You see the issue? They could be playing BUG Delver or BUG Control or BUG Midrange, it's pretty immaterial to the backbone that makes up 70-75% of these decks, the 25-30% not represented in that list is just what determines the mode of victory for the deck.

Oh gee, Are you telling me the BUG is now the new miracles? Oh boy, who could have guessed.

And btw, you could say the same things just about any other net deck. Storm variants ain't that different to each other. You know 100% of the cards in opponent deck when they play turn 1 mountain into goblin guide.

>Comparing two combo decks using the same mechanic to a large number of decks doing different things with the same shell.

Please share more of your magical insights into the format senpai, you seem VERY knowledgeable.

Would the old extended counter slivers be competitive in legacy enviroment?

They are never ever going to unban Balance

How good are goblins in this day and age?

>Abloobloo the post
Look at me, I can shitpost as well.

Just tell me how many decks there are using _that_ BUG shell doing different thing something else than depriving your cards and beating you in the face with creature X.

Considering it's almost impossible to win it with BUG decks, pretty ok?

This formats been ruined by a reluctance to ban OP cards I would say. It took how many years to ban Miracles? Bans are key to a healthy and stable format and well yes they do cause a bit of uproar they are needed.

Ban Deathrite Shaman, Ponder, Gitaxian Probe, Brainstorm, Chalice of the Void, Lions Eye Diamond, and Lotus Petal

>Ban Deathrite Shaman, Ponder, Gitaxian Probe, Brainstorm, Chalice of the Void, Lions Eye Diamond, and Lotus Petal

Might aswell ban Force of Will then

Great idea! Ban any card that has deck presence over 25% namely brainstorm, DRS and FoW, then keep banning every combo that you can't stop without those cards. Keep banning until nobody plays the game anymore.

Gr8 B8 m8, I would r8 8/8 but it's just fucking bad

No need to get buttblasted user, I'm sure mummy is very proud of you for being able to shitpost all on your own :^)

FYI, I play R/W Painter and RG Lands. I've got pretty good to even matchups against BUG decks. Only decks that are truly difficult are fast combo with those two.

All of those except DRS are already restricted in Vintage. They are problematic cards.

Vintage and legacy are different beasts, comparing them is not fair

Ill even give a solid reasoning for every ban
>DRS
Way too powerful and ubiquitous, warps the fornat heavily to play BGx
>Ponder
Fuels fast combo decks and makes games play out realtively the same
>Brainstorm
The most powerful card in Legacy bar none, if you arent playing this you are playing wrong. Why this wasnt banned a long time ago baffles me.
>Chalice
Punishes decks for playing the game
>LED, Petal
Fast mana should be discouraged

They do follow a similar ban list though and besides strange restrictions like Merchants Scroll I feel Legacy would be better having the cards restricted in Vintage be banned here.

>They do follow a similar ban list though and besides strange restrictions like Merchants Scroll
Because Merchant Scroll = Get Force of Will while at the same can be used for Force of Will?

I hate playing against DRS, but I wouldn't advocate for its ban unless it gets quite a bit more ubiquitous. Banning the rest of the stuff on the list would hobble or destroy most of the decks in Legacy currently. Just out of curiosity, do you consider Dark Ritual bannable under the same criteria as Petal/LED? Why ban chalice when Trinishpere/Blood Moon do very similar things? Are they bannable? What about Show and Tell? I guess what I'm getting at is that if you start down this rabbit hole, your going to have to ban an enormous number of cards to balance the formats after the initial cataclysmic bans your suggesting.

The way I see it is you either ban all of it or none of it. Middle way is ought to be trash.

No just those cards. Ritual at least requires you to put in mana to get mana out. LED is much more powerful. Show and Tell is easy to play around and more fair if it cant be powered out easy with a lotus petal.

just picked up two plateaus and two magus of the moon for d&t. magus goes in to replace palace jailer and one sanctum prelate in the main, plateau replaces two flagstones of trokair since i'm no longer playing cataclysm in the 75.

Not really.

Merfolk does everything Slivers can and better, and is only 1 colour.

Merchant Scroll gets Recall, Force, Gush, Dig. Since people already Tutor for Recall all the time we don't need an unrestricted 2 Mana Tutor to the hand.

Please learn more about Vintage before comparing it to Legacy.

I think I'd have to basically rip off Lands to make these two work. Probably throw in Raven's Crime and Smallpox or Hymn to Tourach. Maybe Sphere of Resistance instead.

I think oppression could be fine in a pox shell. Desolation seems like it would hurt you too much.

Any Collected Company decks in Legacy?

Might as well just ban Legacy from competitive play.

Make one.

Give me this in English immediately. Or at least a link to the Booru where there's a translation.

CoCo is outclassed in speed and power by the tribal decks and ones that do CoCo better, namely Aluren, Goblins, and Elves.

It's probably playable in a junk maverick shell with DRS and KotR.

>Ban Miracles
>Delver, the deck doing just as well as Miracles, takes over
Who would've guessed?

>I'm still butthurt because they banned my deck

The cancer killing the game

>Wouldn't Legacy be fun if we tried to turn it into Modern?

Unrelated but that captcha was a click on all images with cars, verify once none have them... and had about 10 images of cars in a row in one spot, some of which were already seen in the slideshow. Did it fuck up a little or are they just making them as annoying as possible?

>we're soon gonna make you pay 5 mana for a vanilla 1/1! Standard is sure looking up huh guys?
>wait why is everyone moving to older formats, well I guess we better stop supporting those formats until they're forced to go back to Standard
I hate Wizards so God damn much.

If you niggas didn't spend two hours with the top it wouldnt be completely fine

With desolation I was thinking adding Crucible of Worlds along with some things that let me play more than 1 land a turn.

I love UR Delver and Burn. Fireblasting people with Force of Will back up produces infinite salt.

They were thinking it could be a cool political creature for commander players. Why would anyone play it anywhere else? Lol

Does it make me a sociopath if I unironically enjoy playing this deck in legacy?

If nothing else, playing it has proven to me that legacy players don't know what the fuck an activated ability is.

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chrome Mox
4 Trinisphere
4 Restoration Angel
1 Baneslayer Angel
3 Exalted Angel
4 Aven Mindcensor
4 Moat
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Suppression Field
3 Karakas
4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
3 Flagstones of Trokair
6 Plains
4 Armageddon
SB: 1 Crucible of Worlds
SB: 2 Pithing Needle
SB: 4 Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 4 Rest in Peace
SB: 4 Wrath of God

Suppression Field is great for White Stompy decks. 4 Moat is too rich for my blood, though.

I mean there are BUG decks that literally can't beat Moat game 1 outside of Jace

Fuck you. I miss Miracles, and I think the format is much worse without the deck, desu.

Miracles the deck was fine, but bad miracles players who took 3 hours to play a single game before even getting to sideboarding were not.

There are far more bad miracles players than good ones in legacy, so it had to go.

This is so stupidly out of touch. The problem with standard for years has been that they keep pushing creatures while the answers keep getting nerfed.

Not really. Stax is a deck people should know how to play against.

Not him but standard is underpowered as fuck. Liliana, the Last Hope being ~$30 should be a testament to that; it's essentially worthless outside of standard and won't see play beyond the kitchen table when it rotates out. Anything with a decent effect has a CMC of like, 5-6. Hell, my ho-hum casual modern mill deck could stomp the shit out of any tier 1 standard deck.

Wat, Last Hope sees notable Modern play. Not sure what rock you're living under saying she's only in Standard.

I would have banned Chalice before Top.

Chalice was good at fighting the Miracles Menace though.

>notable Modern play
Like, as an optional 1 of in a single deck, compare that to bolt pls

I've never understood how someone couldn't know what an activated ability was. It's not hard.

(not the other guy) Sure Last Hope is not that interesting outside of Standard, but if a card needs Bolt levels of popularity to be considered "notable", you must be disappointed quite often by new editions...

can you explain your choice of angels?
any reason you're not running linvala?

>Trinisphere

How does this work with alternate casting costs?

I can't actually think of something last hope does that something else wouldn't do better or should rightly take the slot of something else in any non-standard deck.

>Trinisphere
The way it's phrased, you have to pay at least 3 even for alternate costs like Ogreload, Madness and so on. Even with Omniscience or As Foretold.
Like, a FoW would cost either 3UU or 3+1 life+1 blue card.

I don't know if it applies to copies (like Storm, or what you get with Fork) tho.

Sure, I just meant that taking Bolt is a pretty high standard for card popularity.

Oh, sure, I'm not him by the way. I was just pondering why anyone would fill a maindeck slot with Last Hope.

i consult this when in doubt.
>mtg.summoning.ru/cards_eng/Trinisphere.shtml
There's also a pretty good page on blood moon

>Ogreload

Is Draw Go a bug in the game?
There aren't competitive Draw Go decks in Vintage, Legacy, Modern or Duel Commander. That shit can only exist when it has an inherently unfair advantage, ie. Standard enviroments with super-resilent threats and an over-abundance of answers (Morphling, CAW Blade, Esper Sphinx Control), or they have a 10 life safety net like in Online's 1v1 Commander leagues. If the opponent isn't handicapped from the start, Draw Go crumbles against almost every other archetype, being unable to outpace aggro, out-maneuver tempo, out-value midrange or defeat more proactive control/prison decks like Pox, MUD or 12Post. It can only beat combo.

How can this shit be so many people's favourite "archetype"?

Copies are not cast so it doesn't.

>That shit can only exist when it has an inherently unfair advantage

Can't that be said about any archetype? Monored only exists when wizards prints good one drops and burn that goes face, combo only exists when they print efficient ways to cheat fatties into play, etc. the thing is, wizards has this notion that draw-go is an unfun archetype, so they haven't purposefully printed anything that facilitates that type of deck in a while, while strengthening the other ways to play magic

>combo only exists when they print efficient ways to cheat fatties into play
Wait wat?

The best deck in standard right now uses artherworks marvel to cast ulamog as early as turn 4

Nigga Please. UW Landstill is a perfectly competitive draw go deck in vintage. It's unfortunately now basically the final holdout as far as traditional draw go goes in magic. It also got a lot better with the probe and gush bans that just happened.

That's also not into account that control in legacy is currently in flux, there is very likely going to be a draw go Landstill deck that gets settled on as the format gets solved.

Two things happened to make draw-go not nearly as playablr anymore:

First, Wizards stopped printing cheap, unconditional counterspells. You could actually stay on top of your opponent when you could curve out a force spike, counterspell, forbid, etc.

Second, creatures became more efficient. A giant threat wouldn't show up until later in the fame. Now, we can sneak a death's shaddow or tarmogoyf past some countermagic and win in 2 or 3 turns.

>Standard
Nobody cares

Sorry to post such a basic question, but I'm building a sideboard against Charbelcher/ANT decks that exist in my meta, and couldn't I use Silence/Orim's Chant to interrupt them mid-combo, while they're building mana?

yeah but why would you that instead of casting flusterstorm or force of will?

Why play counterspells when you can just play 3 turn clocks? Oh wait......

>>we're soon gonna make you pay 5 mana for a vanilla 1/1! Standard is sure looking up huh guys?
uwot

Yeah they kind of missed how pushed creatures are. It's spells that are shat on, if the fictional example was a 5 mana conditional counterspell it would've made more sense.

>what is exaggeration

>exaggeration
>a statement that couldn't be further from the truth
there's supposed to be an element of truth to an exaggeration not just outright retardation

Okay, maybe that even though they're pushing a creaturefest, the creatures are totally underwhelming, vanilla garbage that'd get stomped by any mediocre modern deck?

>standard is a less powerful format than modern
wow almost as if thats by design
you are going to have to post an example of vanilla garbage

>the best of the best standard decks get stomped by mediocre modern decks
>thats by design!
>wait, why are people flocking to older formats?

And that pic above is a great example of vanilla garbage. Ooh, some counters, totally not timmy-tier.

would you consider goyf to also be timmy tier?
also you would have to be some kind of idiot to think that a standard environment is ever going to be a similar power level to any format that also includes cards that are in standard in its card pool
standard is being abandoned due to homogeneity, not because its not modern

mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?25474-I-m-a-Juggernaut-gt-Drop-gt-SCG-Atlanta-with-M0AT_ST0MPY
best tournament report ever. please tell me all your Suppression Fields are Japanese.

Standard is being abandoned because it has the depth of a kiddie pool, is underpowered so the cards you get for standard will undoubtedly become worthless when they rotate out, and there's little variety in viable strategy. If it was just homogeneity, people wouldn't leave standard to go into modern with it also being so aggro obsessed. The difference is that there's depth to be had in modern while standard is about as deep as tapping to swing for damage and a dash of removal.

Draw-go is an unfun deck style and U is the most boring color with the depth of a puddle ironically enough.

>Draw-go is an unfun deck style

Man, I just wish we could go back to mirage-tempest standard in paper. If they aren't going to reprint better sets, just recycle old ones with killer standard environments.

>Miracles the deck was fine

damn the format is so diverse now, loving it
>without Miracles there will be only combo I swear gais

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/legacy-challenge-2017-05-22

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/legacy-challenge-2017-05-22
>REINARDBR (2ND PLACE)
>nothing but red jank and some hateful artifacts
is this a real deck?

It's a very real deck. A good chunk of the format just dies to Chalice or Blood moon or Trinisphere if they come down on turn 1.

Nigga you never seen Stompy?

whats the deck called?