Is there such a thing as too much realism?

Is there such a thing as too much realism?

Over-complication is bad. It's often related to realism; but it's not the same thing.

always, in both vidya and tabletop having too much realism can make a game too tedious, boring or frustrating to play if you aren't careful with it.

conversely too little realism can sometimes lead to a game feeling cartoony, simplified or just strange if it goes too far in the opposite direction.

>Realism

when it gets in the way of fun

Yes. It's when you LARP as yourself in real-life in real-time.

Yeah, it's called reality.

Came here to post this.

Depends on the group.

If I wanted realism I'd go outside.

Realism as a writing style appeals only to nihilists and the morbidly curious in the modern world.
The reason romanticism was the first, dominant form of story-telling in the west wasn't because it was wish fulfillment or an attempt to deny the nature of life and reality. It was a way to make the characters more inspiring, to draw the audience into their shoes and show them that there's a right thing to do in a given situation and that they can do that thing as well. It's the projection of personal development that would normally only affect very localized things into a situation where that development does fantastical things. That's one of the reasons I loved the Drizzt books so much in high school. That is a very modern form of romanticized story. There are many places in the US that look like tamer versions of Menzoberranzan.

I think that's the thing I fucking hated about reading Game of Thrones. I didn't register any of the faults it showed as part and parcel to reality and being human. I saw it as a world based on Martin's own personal short comings. Robert's a fat pig who use to be a strong buck. Martins' a fat pig too, and it shows in just how much time he spends talking about fucking food. Everyone's painted as horribly unscrupulous and promiscuous while Martin displays a macabre sense of humor and perverted inventiveness throughout the book.

Of course. Star Wars, LotR, Indiana Jones, etc. These things never got popular due to their realism.

pic not related I hope

bingo

When I said realism I was more referring to things such as having realistic battles with realistic weapons that do realistic damage, realistic currency that isn't just gold pieces, what necessary buildings/facilities a town should have in order to survive, bureaucracy of the government, trade routes, etc. that kind of stuff that you can get really autistic about.

GoT is shit because it make it makes it seem that in the Middle Ages everyone was a sadistic murderer. Sure sometimes houses would have a blood feud but in GoT it's blown out of proportion.

>s that do realistic damage, realistic currency that isn't just gold pieces
These are the only ones that can be debated as "excessive realism".

And among those, only one of them has an acceptable answer, the damage one. Because this is a game, we can't afford everyone to wear bows or guns and kill everything from afar. That's shite and boring.

The rest is absolutely necessary if you want anyone to roleplay correctly. You can't just tell people to turn off their brains while attempting to use their imagination and create a new world in their minds. It has to make sense, and we are adults. A kid may not wonder how do these people survive, where do these people work. But an adult does ponder such trivialities. He needs that information in order to believe the world is real.

>romanticism was the first, dominant form of story-telling in the west
lolwut

>kill everything from afar.
Only happens when you fight in wide, open spaces. Suddenly stops being a problem when you fight in cities, homes, factories, etc. - which are common places for gunfights, surprisingly enough. It's also pretty difficult to actually hit things when they're far away without taking a lot of time to line up your shot, which is time available to get into cover or otherwise escape, regroup, flank, etc.

>That's shite and boring.
To you, not everyone.

Not when the group has a barbarian that will kill whatever you are trying to aim.

I like commando plays, x-com style. But these aren't done in fantasy well.

>I like commando plays, x-com style. But these aren't done in fantasy well.
How come? The idea of fantasy x-com sounds fun, but what you think should be done to make it workable?

As far as I'm concerned, yes. Too strict an adherence to realism feels like needless limitation. And what do I gain? I guess I'm supposed to be impressed because of an accurate representation of obscure or minor details. I care a lot less about that than participating in a fun story.

Not to say realism is always bad. It's just not high on the list of what I'm personally looking for.

Yeah, dude.

Don't tell me about the king's tax policies unless it's part of the plot.

Harnmaster

In our grown-up play-pretend? Yes.

If the game has your players pooping or peeing, then you've gone too far. Not even Dwarf Fortress goes that into detail.