Genestealer Civilization

We all know the purpose of genestealer cults, and how they operate: To weaken, or help take down a planet for theirTyranid progenitor.

But, I have a question for you Veeky Forums: say through a random mutation, or via fending off the Tyranid assault, or some other method, how would a fully subverted civilization operate?

For example: Lets just say, for the purposes of this thread, a world controlled by a Gene cult in 40k gets teleported through the warp, into a clean slate of a galaxy, that has none of the 40k factions, but plays by the same rules.

What than?

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Genestealer_Hybrid
1d4chan.org/wiki/Story:Warhammer_60K:_The_Age_of_Dusk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They keep expanding until a hive fleet sense them, and moves towards them

What else should they do?

Well, in this case, lets assume the hive fleet NEVER comes. Or, if it does, it cannot influence the Genestealers, nor the cult.

As a entirely independent faction, how do the Genestealers evolve, both as a culture, and as a race?

Better idea. A Genestealer cult infects an Imperial world where the humans have a unique mutation that somewhat inhibits the call of the Shadow in the Warp. It doesn't block it, but it lessens the effect. Let's call this planet [Planet Example].

Now, Cadia explodes. The Eye of Terror spills across the galaxy and the [Planet Example] is completely swallowed whole by the Warp.

An hour later, the [Planet Example] reemerges from the Warp. But 3600 years have passed on the planet. The effects of the Warp have altered the passage of time, and by now, the genetic mutation on the [Planet Example] has radically "infected" the Genestealer infection itself.

Normally such mistakes would be corrected by the Hivemind itself, but this time, the Warp prevented anything like it.

This Genestealer civilization has had 3600 years to develop itself. Thread go.

Some interesting pointers.
>is there an imperial resistance that fights an endless guerilla war like in the Terminator future scenes?
>has the Warp affected the Genestealer civilization? given how Genestealer cults are prone to intermingle with Chaos Cults, you can imagine a civil war among Genestealers over whether or not to worship Chaos, or which Chaos god to worship

>>has the Warp affected the Genestealer civilization?

One interesting point here is that, in the Genestealer Cults novel, the cult's Magus was able to read from Chaos tomes and perform a ritual which possessed an Aberrant without becoming corrupted herself. Something about the effect of the Patriarch's telepathy was able to act as a calming influence and protect her.

It's also revealed at the very end that the Patriarch himself had been fighting to stop the residual Chaos taint present on the planet from overwhelming and corrupting everything.

My own Genestealer Cult is actually kinda like this.

Rather than operating on a planet, they act as space pirates, raiding merchant ships, infecting all the passengers, and then sending them on their way to infect whatever planet they land on.

I like to imagine a Genestealer civilization that lasts is kinda like the puritans. Religion is a part of everyday life, and hard work ethic is promoted greatly, while leisure time is looked down upon unless it is to preform religious duties.

What if the genestealer civilization grows incredibly powerful technologically and psychically so when some small tyranid splinter fleet arrives, the genestealer cults try to integrate the pure tyranids in THIER hive mind rather than the other way around.

Cue small civil war but end up with maybe even some rogue tyranids that have been disconnected from the Hive Mind proper, with the help of dark age gizmos that block synapse.

I just want bandit tyranid warriors that use guns and have more of a wolf pack mentality.

>Or, if it does, it cannot influence the Genestealers, nor the cult.
We should not assume this because that would be retarded. The leader of a Genestealer cult is the Patriarch, who is a Tyranid, when a hive fleet shows up his will is totally supplanted by that of the Hive Mind.

> Something about the effect of the Patriarch's telepathy was able to act as a calming influence and protect her.

> the Patriarch himself had been fighting to stop the residual Chaos taint present on the planet from overwhelming and corrupting everything.

I know that officially the Imperium does not into technological progress, particularly when said progress would be derived from studying Xenos specimens, but learning more about how that works sounds like it would be astoundingly useful for staving off the ruinous powers...

> Tyranid rebels

Isn't this the same kind of reasoning that turned the Necrons from an bleak tide of vaguely Egyptian deathbots to a loose collection of autistic space pharaohs?

So you're saying the Tyranids would be improved?

If it wasn't for the Tyranids, the genestealers wouldn't be that bad. They'd effectively establish a symbiotic relationship with the human population, defending it from other invading species. Just imagine Orcs landing, thinking they're gonna crump some hummies, only to be swarmed under waves of purestrain Genestealer shock troops.

Hybrids would become the planets ruling elite, but normal humans could easily get in good with "The Royal Family" by accepting implantation. It's only your first born which are affected anyways, so no biggy. And the cult would probably help you find a mate. The brood-mind would also protect psykers from demonic possession.

Even assuming maximum spread of the genestealers, say every child getting implanted on their 13th birthday, most people getting born would be normal humans. The brood-mind would keep the planet united and society stable. Everyone would belong. Everyone would be loved. Everyone would be encouraged to find mate and build a family. It would be practically utopian.

Don't forget "family values". Genestealer cults typically encourage their followers to have lots of kids.

>It's only your first born which are affected anyways, so no biggy.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case. The Genestealer's kiss rewrites the victim's DNA to ensure all their children are hybrids, as well as making them slavishly loyal to them.

They still keep doing it, because that's the only thing they know

The "first born" limitation was how they worked originally. GW may have changed it since then. Even so by the standards of a genestealer culture, that would just mean your children are born "noble blooded".

Yes, but keyword here is "In this case", as in, it's a theoretical question. Im looking for a "What if", not what happens in the lore already.

I'd prefer it if the Genies were removed from the Tyranids completely and became their own standalone alien faction. Just a symbiotic alien species that are completely independent. I think their current standing in the lore is pretty stupid and with a few more models and fleshing out they'd be a perfectly fine standalone faction.

Anyone else?

I could imagine some 100% Genestaler civilizations to become kind of sluggish and further degenerated in their civilized ways. Assuming that it's a world that somehow lost its means of space travel, maybe through loss of technology during the destructive big uprising event. Also it's a relatively isolated world.

The need to adapt to human civilized ways to keep hidden is gone, no means to spread beyond the planet exist. All they can do is maybe solidify their defences, and beyond that fall into a relatively calm, though still zealous status quo.

The picture I have in mind for this is RE4 las plagas villagers. Kinda slugging around, doing stuff that seems more like an imitation to whatever routine they had pre-infection.

Honestly, canonical genestealer reproduction has always been nonsensical. Third generation hybrids have to infect people via blood transfusions and fourth gens are supposed to create a pure-strain despite being the furthest removed from the original purestrain.

It would make more sense if the Genestealers' genetic payload was delivered as a haploid nucleus which infected the hosts germline cells prior to them splitting into haploid gametes, with the Genestealer infection only following one of the haploid cells produced by the split. Then if two genestealer nuclei encounter each other they produce a pure-strain, but produces a hybrid when the genestealer haploid is present during the host gametes joining.

Then the reproduction would work like this:

Infected human mates with normal human: 50% hybrid, 50% normal
Infected human mates with infected human: 25% purestrain, 50% hybrid, 25% normal

Hybrids could vary widely in appearance resulting in the "multiple generations" forms described in canonical materials.

>Third generation hybrids have to infect people via blood transfusions

What? No they don't. They don't infect people at all. Once the infection is delivered via a Purestrain, that's it; the whole bloodline is infected. All the hybrids need to do is reproduce normally. They have sex and give birth, and the children are other, increasingly less alien, hybrids until you get another round of Purestrains.

Remember that the Genestealer infection isn't natural. If it seems forced, artificial, and too 'neat' in the way it produces steady and predictable results, that's because it is. It's a deliberately engineered, weaponised genetic plague designed to subvert a population and prepare it for consumption by the Hive Fleets.

Seriously man, I'm thinking back to the 90s and the original Genestealer box set supplement for Space Hulk. GW may have updated the fluff with Genestealer cult books, but the original stuff was completely broken.

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Genestealer_Hybrid

>Third Generation: Also known as Neophytes, these hybrids possess bodies somewhere between the crouched bodies of genestealers and the humanoid shapes of humans. They appear perpetually crouched, possess two or three arms one of which might end in a genestealer claw. Some lack the ovipositor of preceding generations; these are called drones or neuters, although they can still infect other races through their blood.

>no hunchback three armed neophyte gf

You can't fuck your sister, Cletus.

Where do you think Aberrants come from?

That's like having sex with a down syndrome, just with a couple arms thrown in!

They can still breed and create the 4th all without infecting anyone new.

The 4th then goes and infects new people.

I liked this idea:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Story:Warhammer_60K:_The_Age_of_Dusk
>A Sector spanning Human Empire known as the "Realm of Fathers" (this is a rough translation) was encountered by the Vulkan Imperium on its fringes, close to the Ophelian area of influence, but beyond their control. This realm was filled with hundreds upon hundreds of productive, peaceful and efficient worlds, full of quiet, diligent workers and citizens. There was no unrest, and everyone seemed to be happy and content; they rarely even seemed to speak to one another. When Vulkan’s armies came, they were welcomed by the Court of the Regents, and within a few months of their arrival, had signed treaties and pledged oaths in blood and stone. Their factories and produce yards were so very efficient that they had a major surplus of materials, which they traded within the Vulkan Imperium and provided a massive amount of goods to the expanding Imperium. They even paid double the standard tithes asked of them.

>However, the Eealm of Fathers held a terrible secret. For they bore a legacy of ancient corruption in their very blood; they were, to a man, all genestealer cultists. With the abandonment of the genestealers by the Hive Fleets thousands of years ago, the genestealers had merely continued to do what they were born to do; survive and reproduce. Every other den of genestealers had been eventually slain over the years by various powers. Yet, one cult had survived. And, surprisingly, without the Hive Fleets, the genestealers were allowed to flourish. Nobody had ever seen how far a genestealer infestation could develop, until then.

well that's kinda lame.

> So you're saying the Tyranids would be improved?

Eh...

That'd depend largely on personal preference I'd wager...

Thought, in my case, no it most definitely wouldn't...

I have a different question - we probably never ever get skaven in 40K (not saying we should) - do you concide GSC somewhat similar ? Mockery of society and a force that expends it resources to topple it down ? I think even playstyle can be similar (lods of weak troops some mechines and few very strong elite units).

I think that hroud were supposed to be the next skaven but GW pushed them out

It's Hrudd

And They're pretty close. Honestly, I hope the expand the GSC line, it's full of possibilites for new models and conversions. We need more fringe faction models, not super marines.

Accordind to old fluff, genestealer hybrids can't into space if their host civilisation isn't space-faring one. They aren't innovative - they can't figure out anything new. Brood brothers, on the other hand, are a different story tho'.

No. Stop that. Why the fuck you guys keep altering genestealer reproduction cycle? Only 4th generation can breed true (confirmed in last codex). More bestial hybrids reproduce via gensestealer way, either by ovipositor or if the lack one - through blood. No raping nuns, you fags.

>TFW you will never be born into a telpathic paradise, where everyone love everyone else, and we are all one big family
:(

>I know that officially the Imperium does not into technological progress

Kind of an ironic statement now that the Imperium has actually finally figured out the full process the Emperor used to create Space Marines.