Basic Role-Playing Systems General /brp/

Let's try this for a change. Cthulhu threads phase in and out of popularity(Usually dying after we finish discussing everything Lovecraft for the 5th time) and we don't even mention RuneQuest, M-Space, or other notable systems, so what I propose is that we have a thread dedicated to every system that utilizes the BRP system as a whole.

I'll be working on a Trove and digital tools list in order to make this thread seem more "Official" Feel free to make suggestions.

And if you hate the fact that I've made another General:
It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
-Terry Pratchett

Other urls found in this thread:

alephtargames.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96:revolution-srd&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=1&lang=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Question of the Thread: What was the last BRP system you played, and what was the most memorable event from it?

As always, you can blame me for everything being terrible.

Never played a BRP system before but I'm thinking of getting into Runequest. Where do I start? Bit confused by the editions honestly. Some people say to skip Mongoose and play 6th/Mythras and other people say to skip 6th in favor of 2nd.

I ran a mash-up of Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer. The campaign took place in the dream realms and unfortunately didn't get very far before being derailed first by player stupidity (a newbie picked a deadly fight with allies of their employer, which is to say: the people of the village who were giving them sanctuary) and then out-of-character fighting due to some of the players being assholes.

Personally, I like Mythras best, and I say this mainly because it's basically 6 with all the Errata, and the Glorantha IP removed, making it a lighter read.There's a lot of support for it through various expansions. M-Space is a Sci-Fi port of Mythras, which makes it easy to mine for technology in a Fantasy setting. There's also been a port of the CoC sanity system, as well as Firearms, and the Ships and Shield Walls supplement is an absolute necessity.

It's really just a question of whether you want Old School or New School.

What's the most streamlined system in the BRP family? Is it any good?

>What's the most streamlined system in the BRP family?
The easiest one to learn and play is probably the new Delta Green.

>Is it any good?
Yes, I think it's a big improvement over previous editions in both setting and mechanics.

I heard Stormbringer had a pretty cool take on magic: that being a magic-user meant begging for magic intervention from more powerful beings such as demons, angels, elementals and gods.

Does it have a good magic system?

>Does it have a good magic system?
My understanding is that the magic system changed significantly a few times. The one from 4th edition seemed pretty cool to me, with all sorts of demonic powers and such. It seems like it might be a bit of a pain in the ass if you ran a campaign that was particularly magic-focused, but I could be wrong. Honestly, my memory on the subject is a bit fuzzy as we're talking about something I did literally decades ago.

OP, you're ..an optimistic one at least. Oh well, annual attempt at a BRP-thread it is!
Have some stuff.

More stuff

More

What is the best version of Runequest?

Also, is Runequest considered the best BRP-system after Call of Cthulhu?

Stuff

And for anyone wondering what all the "Classic RuneQuest"-hubbub is about.

I thought BRP as its own thing was discontinued by the new staff at Chaosium? Or was that just Basic Fantasy?

BRP has been placed in weird limbo atm. NuChaosium is focused on CoC and RQ. They still peddle the BRP-name and sell the products, but they don't seem too keen on talking about it.

The glorious mess that was the earlier editions of Stormbringer ran on demon summoning. Later editions turned down the gonzo somewhat and added more "mainstream" magic in the form of sorcery-spells.
And then there was the Corum-supplement who ran with the chaos (as in completely fucking unpredictable) magic.

That sounds pretty great. Does anyone have any of these Stormbringer PDFs?

I'm trawling Da Archive for everything. I'll probably have a MEGA link by the end of the day.

Nice, thanks.

Wayne is going to fuck it up! Because that's what Wayne does!
More stuff!

Last of The Green. The corebook would be illegal (and has my name gloriously watermarked)

Tell me, what do you like most about the BRP system? What does the BRP system do that no other system manages as well?

I heard this is the closest thing to gurps that has linear dice, is that true?

But then I also heard this has classes

For one, it actually manages to translate well to different genres while keeping the system experience coherent throughout, meaning that unlike GURPS, which is like a toolkit for GM'S, and often means that players have to learn the very specific game their GM has crafted. With BRP you just have to learn the particulars.

Is the main BRP book out of print? It's like $80 on Amazon.

Call of Cthulhu. I was vaguely aware that the system for CoC had its own name but I had never heard of any other system that used it.

Nothing in particular. It's just a fairly simple d100 system.

In all honesty it could even do with being even simpler. Their is a resistance table for doing certain checks. I can't be assed to pull it out out so I usually ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. Either it's just a normal check with some modifier or I just directly compare rolls (highest without failing wins).

Not really. In RQ/Mythras, you choose a career and background which leans you towards certain general skills and professional skills. These skills are really what defines your character's abilities. Mechanically it's just choosing a particular selection of skills you want to focus on, and it's not necessarily static either.

If you actually want classes, there's the Classic Fantasy supplement, which is basically Babbies first step outside of D&D.

>If you actually want classes,
I dont want classes, thats the point.

The point is if it has classes its not really like gurps. Because not having classes is a big point of gurps

It's a simple and straightforward system that is able to support a high level of detail if wanted. It gets the job done and doesn't get in the way.
It's great if you're on the realism-train to Versimilitudeville, less great if you're aiming for superheroes and dragonslayers.

Cthulhu Invictus. To be honest, my last non-CoC BRP game was Stormbringer... that was in the 90s, dammit. I'd love to play in a RQ6 game.

This exactly, it does lean towards a very careful and strategic player style. Very good if you're going for a system that punishes rash/stupid behavior.

Giving this a pre-bed bump in the hope of seeing it breathing tomorrow.

Never tried Runequest, but I found and purchased an odd Finnish copy of Stormbringer on a whim. 5€ for a mint boxed copy seemed like a good deal to me.

After researching it seems that the front of the boxed set is from 1-2 edition, but the book is from 4th edition. Seems a bit excessive to have a box for a book and a single d20.

There is even some original Finnish art included in the pages.

Well... Shit. Now that's just awesome.

It's not like GURPS either, but I see your point. It may do you quite well. What were you thinking of running with it?

That's awesome. Can we get art scans?

I've only seen a couple of editions of RuneQuest, but they were both crunchier than I care for. I recognize that Call of Cthulhu is less about combat (or less about winnable combat, anyway), but I appreciated the fact that is was significantly more streamlined than RuneQuest.

I may check out Delta Green if it has the simplest core mechanics of the BRP systems. I quite like BRP's straight forward, percentile skill approach to task resolution, but would like to keep things as simple as possible within this realm.

Yes, skip Mongoose. RQE will show you what RQ6/Mythras is about, the D100IISRD is a clone of the classic RQ2-rules (but not the fluff). Or look at the core BRP or RevD100 if you want something in between, or OpenQuest if you want it simple.

Have an OpenQuest-based game to go.

any link to download RevD100?

A link to the SRD is as good as it gets, user.

alephtargames.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96:revolution-srd&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=1&lang=en

How lethal is RQ combat? Using an example of a low CR creature like an orc from D&D, would a PC survive an encounter like that? I'm sick of GMing for murderhobos and if RQ is as lethal as I've been told then I'm sold.

Shields are nearly required because they provide protection for various body parts that would make combat quite suicidal otherwise. Yeah, it's about as deadly as you want.

RQ6 game rocked. We played Mythic Britain. Just on the cusp of Mythras being released. Nice and heavy political intrigue thing going on.

Before that the most memorable thing was belly flop landing a cargo plane on the beaches of Normandy following a "to-do" with a byakhee midflight.

After that we managed to make our way to Paris where we got involved in trying to subvert a ceremony that was taking place atop the Eiffel Tower. My character took a dive over the edge of a platform trying to stop a cultist from completing some incantation or other. Heady stuff.

alternatively, harnmaster. even if they survive combat and still have all their limbs, they probably die from infection.

RQ is less lethal and more crippling. If you make a bad decision or roll some bad dice it likely wont kill you unless you're really bad, but there is a good chance of a fight-ending and potentially grievous injury. At least for newer RQs - MRQ/Legend/RQ6/Mythras. For the older editions and BRP in general, death is more swift.
An average orc is generally on par with an average human, only slightly stronger, tougher, uglier and more adept at killing and maiming. Orcs are also generally clever enough to not pick fights they're going to lose, and to bring friends. Bash them together and it's pretty much touch and go.

And Yay, thread lives!

Does anyone have the Chaosium Free RPG day scenario from last year, called The Derelict, which could be shared? I've been trying to find it, but my usual search patterns haven't helped me. I have heard that it's available to Cult of Chaos members, but I wasn't accepted to it, apparently because I live in area where there isn't even LFGS where I could GM promotional games. (later I also heard, it was available only to those already members at July 1st 2016.) I know I could order a printed copy of it from lulu.com, but postage is more than ten times the price of a product.

Something for the MEGA I guess?
Wayne, you useless bastard! Are you done yet?

Run a Harn campaign and that'll solve that problem real quick.

Binge-watching Family Guy outtakes from YouTube. Not even full episodes, just short clips that are 5 solid minutes of an episode, and are zoomed in so you can only see the center part of what's on screen. Sometimes the video is normal but they fuck with the audio quality.

Hard rules for sanity loss are not part of core BRP.

That's no issue, here's a port of CoC's Sanity rules to function with Mythras/RQ6.

Wayne... don't ever change.