What D&D 5e games should I observe to become a better DM? I've heard some people on here praise Critical Role...

What D&D 5e games should I observe to become a better DM? I've heard some people on here praise Critical Role, some bash it, so I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

I'd like a game with a healthy mix of mechanics and roleplay, about 50/50, since that's what my players seem to prefer. Thanks in advance.

>D&D
Don't

watch Rick Kittenhugs's podcast

You showed that faggot!

Critical Role, it's great, and I love how they do nat 20s.

You don't.
Read some OSR blogs instead
If you listen to another game all you're going to get from it is the "epic" moments and try to bruteforce "epic" stuff into your game and not even try to understand WHY that scenario was fun.

You shouldn't observe 5e games.
You should observe, or better yet participate in games of other systems.

Also this

Ok you got a belly laugh out of me that time.

bump

Friday Night Quests or D&D is for nerds

Observing 5e to become a better roleplayer is like observing a computer-driven car to become a better driver.

Go watch some Taxi services, ambulances, rally.

>What D&D 5e games should I observe to become a better DM?
None. Go watch content specifically about DMing. Matt Colville's Running the Game series is a good place to start.

You get better by doing. The shows are at best force fun. rolemaster GM guide and others have had good write ups for it

How you would be "the best DM" depends on the group. If your group are enjoying it, you're doing OK.

I would suggest two podcasts:

Dungeon Master's Block and Game Master's Journey.

GM-ing/DM-ing is a system agnostic skill. It's 1/3 knowing the system, 1/3 Social/Leadership skills, and 1/3 storytelling. Watching someone else do it isn't going to help you learn, discussing the science/art behind it, and practice is going to be what helps you the most.

Never ever drive again.

>What D&D 5e games should I observe to become a better DM?
Try the not-D&D ones instead to become a better DM.

Dawnforgedcast is a good YouTube channel that actually gives somewhat good advice to DM.

>Critical Role
What's wrong with it?

The true narrative isn't the game but rather the players playing it. It's like the pro wrestling of RPG shows.

High Rollers. Way better than CritRole if you ask me.

Mark Hulmes (the GM) does some really good DM tips/Q&A stuff on his own channel as well

>Dawnforgedcast
u wot m8.

None. Get off the internet and go play games at a table. Repeat with different DMs. Bad DMs can teach you as much as good ones.

Critical Role is nothing like the game you or any other DM will ever run, so it's a waste of your time.
I think Matt Colville's Running the Game series is the most useful resource out there, but even he admits that even one session of DMing is worth all the advice anyone can give you.
If you really need to watch a game, I think Dice Camera Action comes the closest to being like an actual game you'd run. Also very helpful if you're planning on running Curse of Strahd, less so if you're doing Storm King's Thunder but still useful.

I don't care if people enjoy it or not, but even if you do it straight up is not a feasible target for you to run your game like.
You'll disappoint yourself and probably your players to.
Also it's just my opinion but I prefer games that are about the stuff going on in the world rather than extensive arcs based on individual PC backstories.

I got to about episode 20 before I lost track of that, the tiefling had just got some kind of magic plot gauntlet that instakilled things. Did she ever get less annoying? I have some more free time and want stuff to watch while painting.