MTG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General. You know the drill.

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Hating?

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-02-17-modern-tezz/
strawpoll.me/13006237
mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/15/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-51517
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nissas-devotion-2/
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-u-37003#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Posting again. I like the slower version better than the Mox Opal/Welding Jar/Bauble version, feels much more consistent. Steam Vents is to fetch for EE.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-02-17-modern-tezz/

Reposting deck ownership poll from last thread: strawpoll.me/13006237

So far 54% of people have 1 or 2 decks.

Don't have much to say. I've been playing the turbo version you mentioned and have been having a lot of success online and at small to medium events.
Whir of invention is truly insane
Inventors fair is clutch too. I used it to grab an ensnaring bridge with 2 life remaining against eldrazi taxes and managed to durdle around and pull out a win

I want to get into modern with a relatively cheap deck that I won't get bored of playing in a few weeks.

This last point is very important.

What deck would you recommend ? I thought about affinity but it's quite expensive. Ad nauseam is cheap but very linear. Sooooo... Merfolk ? The deck looks fun and ranks at T2 right now.

Any recommandation ?

What style of gameplay do you like? From what you've listed so far, it seems you like combo and synergistic aggro. Sound right?

If Ad Nauseam is your baseline for cheap, there are plenty of options.

Merfolk is extremely boring

I like everything that requires me to think through my plays. Affinity and merfolks are great decks for me because they have some "gotcha" mechanism and can go the extra mile if piloted right.

I listed Ad Nauseam for mainly its pricetag. Also the deck needs to be competitive

Well along those lines you've also got Dredge.

Merfolk is great if you want a cheap, viable, Aggro deck that isn't Bolt tribal.

I usually hate playing Aggro but it's a lot of fun.

Weekly Modern Metagame:
>mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/15/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-51517

Dredge or Merfolk it is then. thanks !

Have we finally settled on 2 Spire of Industry and 2 Glimmervoid for Affinity? I've been liking the even split so far, though it does make me feel sad to have two ~$20 cards not being used anymore.

Need some help modern general do i finish buying the pieces for 8 rack (all i need is the bridges and 2 more lilianas) or do i build burn?

My lgs meta is mostly midrange and tron with a few combo decks here and there however I am not sure burn would perform much better than 8 rack though i have only played naya burn a few times when i borrow my friends naya burn deck to playtest.

Anybody have any advice or tid bits of knowledge?

If 8 rack is what you've been building, you might as well finish it rather than start over with burn.

Most run 2-2, smart people run 4 Spire.

Running 4 Spire makes it less likely that you'll be able to generate colored mana painlessly. The reason to run any Spires at all is to reduce the odds of an awkward opener where one removal spell kills your Glimmervoid.

>willingly fucking your scapeshift matchup

Smart people actually realize one of affinity's strengths is a painless manabase and willingly throwing that away is just retarded. Spire serves to eliminate awkward glimmervoid openers, not to replace it entirely

Not exactly surprising truth be told. I own 4 decks myself, but two of those are Stompy, and an unfinished Mono Green Tron deck That I am slowly working towards turning into GB Tron.

I like this duder's logic, a split seems best for minmaxing robits, reducing awkward glimmervoid openers while still maintaining a relatively painfree manabase.

hope y'all are having a great day, you beautiful souls.
post some memelists for me, will ya?

Best way to steal packs?

Steal singles you noob.

9chad is such a hilarious deck. If I wasn't allergic to control I would pick it up.
By standing in the middle of wallmart exclaiming very loudly that Hitler did nothing wrong and then running off amidst all the confusion

Take them into the Walmart bathroom duh

>stealing random lottery tickets
>not steal the deck some retard left in his bag unattended.
baka senpai desu

Seems like your question should be "best way to trigger autists" because this method you've been trying isn't working out.

shove entire booster boxes into your boicpucci

You might need some practice by doing heavy squats with a squat plug of the appropriate size.

There was a guy playing something very similar to this at my LGS on friday, but I don't know how he did since I didn't play against him.

Just snatch a few packs and take them in the restroom. Good luck getting any value though, its mostly standard shit.

Can confirm, this is the best method.
If the manager is around I'll sometimes just grab a handful of loose boosters and shove them up there.

A priori odds of having more than one colored spell to cast during a game and not having Opal or Drum or basic mountain for blasts are low and the matchup's fairly hopeless no matter what you do excluding stacking your deck.
Pain only really matters vs Burn, the only deck that could realistically race and which 60+% of the time doesn't.

Now look at it from the other direction. With two Glimmervoids in your deck, the odds of drawing both of them in your opening 7 is only ~1% (the odds of drawing 2-3 lands in general is ~55%). Having multiple Spires is only improving your matchup against removal heavy decks, which are still going to be hopeless.

So I ask you, why do you want 4 Spires?

Kinda feels like comparing 1% apples to 1% oranges, maybe a 3-1 split could be argued for, but basically both have miniscule downsides in different situations so you might as well divide your eggs into two baskets.

Don't get me wrong though, I really like this sort of autistic discussion around here, really circulates my cortex

I'm more partial to dredge, but you do you man.

Sounds like pussy shit

I can do this

I genuinely wanna know

My LGS and all those around me are way too small, and I haven't been to any big events.

4 Spires allows you to keep any one-lander with business since the scenario of kill your turn 1 play sac glimmer lose the game doesn't exist while having no relevant drawbacks for the aforementioned reasons. BGx/UWx are definitely not as hopeless as Dredge or Valakut.dec, but the most common ways you lose said matchup is either not drawing a single Etched Champion w/ payoff *or* getting armageddon'd.

Don't actually steal cards you fucking poorfag
Get a fucking job. Even Working at Mcdonalds earns you enough to build yourself a decent deck after a month or two.

>no relevant drawbacks for the aforementioned reasons
There are relevant drawbacks though, one of which you have already mentioned. Glimmervoid is substantially better against Burn, which is not a certain matchup for us, as well as being better in general in any situation where we are racing against a deck that isn't infinite combo (or effectively infinite combo).

You are hurting likely matchups in order to eliminate an unlikely situation that we are already minimizing by moving to a split.

Why not?

>taking the bait

>tryhard $$$ cucks trying to justify playing a $20 card just because it gives you like half a percentage point over playing the cheaper card

fucking autists, it LITERALLY doesn't matter the majority of the time

Nice job addressing his argument faggot. Someone must be upset because he couldn't afford 2 glimmervoids

If you aren't autistic enough for this discussion to matter to you, Affinity is not the deck for you

Signed,
Affinity player.

Which is bizarre if you can already afford the expensive playsets in Affinity.

>implying i play a gay deck for autists

nice try

>loyalty to big corporations
>muh morals
Pathetic desu

>gay deck for autists
Autistic? Yes.
Gay? No. Robots don't have dicks user.

Nigga I don't give a fuck if you rob walmart blind (I've stolen god knows how many packs from there), but if you steal from your LGS or another player your a piece of shit who deserves to get raped by sandniggers

How do you steal packs from Wal Mart?

>implying Ravager doesn't booty-ravage with his huge robo-cock

Stealing from Walmart is easy as shit. Just take a pack or two into the bathroom, heck you can straight up walk out of the store with product that doesn't have the safety sensor bar, just hide it in your pocket. Back when I was an edgy 17 year old I used to wear a top hat everywhere. I managed to steal at least 30 packs by hiding a few on top of my head. Just act natural and you'll get away with it, I work in security and let me tell you, when looking over footage, security always looks for shifty people who are always looking around.

Ornithopter is actually an onahole. The idea that it's a flying machine is just a ploy so that parents can have it out in front of their kids.

>That guy in the corner
>who the fuck is this kid and why is she playing with my bong?

If it's a bong, the guy in the bottom left has already used it.

>tfw wotc banned the wrong eldrazi land

why is wizards so retarded? why did they think it was okay to leave the fucking non legendary sol land legal?

Eye of Ugin was legendary, but on its own it acted like multiple lands and was even better than sol ring. It could easily effectively generate over 4 mana in a single turn, and it also incidentally worked as a tutor.

I want to try to play some BW tokens, how does this build looks:

Blessed Alliance x3
Fatal Push x3
Thoughtseize x2
Inquisition of Kozilek x4
Murderous cut x1
Collective Brutality x1
Dusk // Dawn x1 (for memes sake)
Anguished Unmaking x1
Raise the Alarm x4
lingering Souls x4
Spectral Procession x4
Zealous Persecution x4
Intangible Virtue x4
Sad Sorin x2
Chad, Ally of Pussyslayers x1

Your average BW landbase. Should I drop Blessed Alliance for your regular PoE package? I did some testing and Push+ Blessed Alliance worked better than Push +PoE on average.

>Chad, Ally of Pussyslayers
This should be his official name from now on, though maybe Pussycrushers (PC bro) would be better.

Am I missing something or am I not seeing Bitterblossom here?

How do you look for the sensor? all they got is blister packs / fat packs and I think they all have sensors inside the cardboard.

Replaced by Raise the Alarm, mostly due to budget reasons. I can't justify spending like 30 bucks on a niche card that has no use in other decks. If I could get it like 15$ a pop I would buy them.

I think this is a lot weaker without Bitterblossom and that lady that has protection from red.

This seems to spell focused for making your tokens and, because of that, seems really non-resilient

Open e'm up silly that's how. That is why you take them into the bathroom, so you can open it up while you take a shit.

Been out of the loop with Modern for a while. When did this become such a big thing?

when they printed electromancer 5-8

check this shit out.

Is anyone using Soul-scar mage and Hash Mentor?

lost the game next turn.

As I fully agree in terms of Bitterblossom (played in 2 out of 4 decks according to mtgtop8), Auriok Champion isn't played as much (1 out of 4). She also suffers (just like Bitterblossom) from "retarded price syndrome".

Don't worry, wotc will ban Storm again. They always ban Storm again.

Mentor is alright. Maindeck playable, but I personally don't like using him because he doesn't have haste, nor does he hose as hard as eidolon.
Only run mage if there is a high number of CoCo decks in your meta
Essentially, they are both SB tech and that is about it.

can someone explain to me how people consider "interactive" magic to be of a higher quality than uninteractive magic? they're literally both just as awful when it comes to gameplay experience. like the "interactive" decks want you to not play magic, they want to kill all your threats, or counter all your threats, or literally pick your hand apart so you can't play the game. that's just miserable. it's just as miserable as losing on turn 3 to like storm or something. someone help me figure out how interactionfags think

i doubt it, this iteration of storm is really easy to hate out my dude

They're autists. That's really all you need to know.

>implying wotc's hatred of Storm is rational

rate this mono green devo brew

godamn it i forgot to move the primal commands out of SB

How fast does it goldfish?

nice try with the bait, but you can't get me user

same as dredge, they'd never ban GGT again

I like Harsh Mentor, but play 2-3 in the side. Bring it in against Tron (punishes the cards they play instead of their lands), Devoted Druid combo (the one guy who plays it has no maindeck removal), and a couple of fringe decks I see once in a while. I say it's better than Eidolon in the right matchups, but way worse in others.

but its not bait

decks super fast, the mana get out of control quickly, ive done t2 coco, also coco into e wit into coco in that same turn

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-u-37003#paper

So this deck costs about 200€ on magicardmarket, Mtggoldfish says $581. Why are Americans getting jewed so hard?

Also should I buy the deck?

Man, the artist was fucking lit when he was working on the backdrop of this.

Then he got to the fordrop and it all looks like garbage.

But look at that background work, though

How fast is "super fast" in terms of actually ending the game? The problem with decks like this that I've seen (and played against) in the past is that they just aren't fast enough compared to the linear decks in Modern that are killing you on turn 4 (or sometimes turn 3).

Is Modern the FGC of Magic: The Gathering?

It isn't overtly sexist, so no.

>top tier player losing to mill.gif
Yes.

how is it not bait? 4x coco is REALLY bad in this deck. you need at least 26 creatures with cmc 3 or less for the card to be consistently good.

Green devotion is my favorite deck in modern. What does Steward add over Garruk? How often do you end up with a sprawl and elf but no forest in your opener? I also very much prefer 3 or 4 prime times, even just dropping one is pretty back breaking against any other fair strategy. How do you beat tron? Do you just not or is plow under+witness your only gameplan?

I dunno, most (not all) people I've seen playing Modern are pretty chill. When both players are firing glass cannons at each other, you expect to lose sometimes.

I get fucking livid when my glass cannon doesn't out-glass cannon someone else's deck.
But those midrange match ups is where solid bonding can be had

I've never seen a woman or trans person top8 at any event ever, and according tumblr that means it actually is extremely sexist.

I play a more traditional green devotion deck and the deck is actually fairly resilient. Turn 3 and 4 kills are far from rare, but against aggro we usually board in feed the clans or tutor up a primetime and courser.

Really? I frequently fist-bump my fellow linear-bros after a match, win or lose, unless there was mana screw or something.

>overtly sexist

Maybe the smash faggots, but one of the best street fighter players is a transwoman and she's very much respected, and NRS games in particular draw a large female playerbase.

All I can really talk about is my own personal experience, which didn't make it look good. It isn't a deck you often see on camera.

You're totally correct, it's not great, but I like green and I like being able to do a little bit of everything, so it's the perfect deck for me.