Board Game General /bgg/

>Last thread
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

do you guys know why heroquest is so great?

Well hello why is it so amazing? Never had a chance to play

>I have yet to sit through HeroQuest all campaign missions with the same life/rogue like.
Why even live? Has anyone done it?

My friends were normies with ADD and they would get bored/add d&d rules to the game.

Well at least you saved me having to make the new general and come up with discussion questions, but link in the old one next time OP.

>WHY IS HEROQUEST SO GREAT?
GRAVITY LAND

If you had to choose between tides of madness and times of time, which would you get?

What were the expansions like? I only had the base game as a kid, I remember stuff like pic related being impossible to find back then.

Hero Quest - 'Hotel California' Edition. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...

>do you guys know why heroquest is so great?

Because our inner twelve-year-old selves still love it and will shank anyone who says otherwise?

That looks awesome

I bought Pandemic Legacy as my first board game, for 2 players. I ordered it through Amazon.

We've played 2 games without the legacy rules so far and it has been fun. We'll start with legacy rules next game.

I feel like a plebeian, but then again, since this is my first board game, I am.

good goy

They are still hard to find mate. And in the even remote possibility you find them, they go for rape prices being so rare.

Woah those are stunning! I can't wait for the kickstarter.

Honestly, I'm not sure what makes Heroquest so great. I had never seen it played that game until a friend brought out his old copy a couple years ago, and we had heaps of fun. So it can't be a purely nostalgic thing because I had no prior attachment to the game.

Actually, what makes it so great is probably the BROWD SOWD!

This can't be 28mm.

Get out.

FYRE OF ROTH

I never liked Hero Quest even when I was 12.

Help me out anons, I'm wanting to get Camel Up because I think it's something that I'll be able to convince my family to play. I was in my FLGS today and saw that there's a card version of the game without dice or a board. Which version do you all recommend: original with a board or the new one with cards?

The original is a safe bet.

Look at the MUSCUUULARITY

I dunno, I have it and I really dont think it has stood the test of time. Playing the DM is boring as fuck as you get fuck all to do, all rooms are way too tight and you can barely move around in them, the corridors are fucking awful, you're always playing on the same map.
Minis are cute but show their age, dungeon scenery is nice I guess.

I really dont enjoy it anymore.

Is there a true Euro game out there without a god awful theme and/or artwork? I want to try some, but my disgust holds me back

>Is there a true Euro game out there without a god awful theme and/or artwork?
No. Games are for gameplay, not artwork.

>I want to try some, but my disgust holds me back
Find another hobby, you won't enjoy this one if you hate gameplay and only like art.

>Find another hobby, you won't enjoy this one if you hate gameplay and only like art.

That's a bit of a leap, I love gameplay
Forgive me for not wanting to look at this dogshit for the better part of 1-2 hours, aesthetics are important

Look here: you are acting exactly like some moron who goes into /sp/ and claims that he 'loves sports' but wants to follow one that doesn't involve the icky running and ball throwing stuff and focuses more on fabulous fashion choices.

Please get lost, you're in the wrong thread.

>not wanting to pay money for deviantart-tier illustrations is bad
Art is important in a game, user.

>Art is important in a game, user.
No it isn't. Claiming that 'art is important in a game' is exactly like claiming that fashion is important in sports.

I mean, yeah, there are housewives who follow ""sports"" like figure skating purely because of the pretty dresses, but you don't want to be that kind of person.

I'm just ignoring this dickhead until someone actually helpful shows up. I know my group sort-of likes Euro games thanks to Scythe, but that's not a true Euro game to my knowledge and it tends to overstay it's welcome at our table

The problem is that we are so unversed in them and if the theme doesn't mesh well it's really hard to get people interested

Dunno, which is a shame as I bought it, still own it, never played it.

>No it isn't. Claiming that 'art is important in a game' is exactly like claiming that fashion is important in sports.
It is.
For the past 30 years fashion, marketing and sports technology have been working together to find the perfect balance of performance and aesthetics, and a lot of those developments are immediately introduced to the consumer world where people buy fashionable, high-performance sports equipment sponsored by their idols.

Art is what breeds familiarity with a game and allows it to be sold to a greater market and cherished in a more enfranchised manner than what it possible from gameplay alone. Chess lives through the ages because it's independent of language, abstracted from it's time, and because at some point someone designed six gorgeous icons people have been relatin to and redesigning ad nauseaum ever since. Checkers and Go will never have that instant sense of familiarity.

The popularity of chess in the West predates the Staunton chess set by about seven hundred years.

>the consumer world where people buy fashionable, high-performance sports equipment sponsored by their idols
You don't want to be that kind of person. And you should be doubly ashamed for enabling that sort of cancer in the boardgaming world.

Don't play with mental retards, problem solved.

>good art is unneeded
This is why everything you like is shit.

Oh come on. Stadium sports are always big on the visual spectacles, big screens, fancy mascots etc. All of it secondary to the game itself by a long way, but that doesn't mean it's completely unimportant. And there's no reason you can't have both.

If art is what you want, then what the fuck are you doing in a boardgame thread? Boardgames have nothing to do with art.

Which look like icons used in chess manuals from the 1810's-1830's.
Chess beat checkers and go in marketability as soon as people started calling the most powerful piece a "Vizier", and the goal piece a "King".

>All of it secondary to the game itself by a long way
Exactly.

>And there's no reason you can't have both.
That kind of logic brought us ""sports"" like WWF wresting and games like Scythe. No thanks.

Being normal is infinitely better than being an autist like you.
Consummerism is stupid, refusing to consume a product that has been tested to perform, designed to look good and marketed to appeal, is fucking retarded.

If games had as rigorous a development as sports equipment does, half of them wouldn't exist.

>Chess beat checkers and go in marketability as soon as people started calling the most powerful piece a "Vizier", and the goal piece a "King".
False, chess became the most popular game because of two reasons: a) it lends itself well to solo-mode puzzles and b) it's a fun tournament game to watch.

Checkers is a game for toddlers and go suffers from having a board state too busy to evaluate at a glance.

It's mental health month. And anons here are helping us be aware about autism and it's quirks.

>consuming a product
What the fuck are you doing in a boardgame thread? The shopping general is somewhere else, not here.

>b) it's a fun tournament game to watch.
Which obviously has nothing to do with it being visually appealing.
Just quit before you go full retard and imply chess' look and flavor are not strong contributors to it's popularity.

Nigger, games are products.
Go fuck yourself with your che guevara tshit.

here you go.

Dang man, that's not even a really bad one. Lucky you weren't trying to get into this hobby 10 years ago.

>Which obviously has nothing to do with it being visually appealing.
It doesn't. The critical thing is that you can glance at a chessboard and figure out who's winning and what kind of moves might follow. This means chess games are fun to spectate. (Contrast to e.g. go, where playing it is fun, but watching other people play is a clusterfuck, see picrelated.)

The visual style of the chess pieces themselves had nothing at all do with the popularity of chess. Have you even played a single game of chess ever, or are you here only to roleplay a mental midget?

Nigger, I'm not aware I suddenly awoke in bizarro world where were's discussing "game products" and "shopping opportunities" instead of playing games!

>play game
>all I do is moving a piece or toss a die
>there's no theme
>I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing nor why I'm doing it
If you want to compete with someone, you might as well do some sport or martial art instead of gaming, because it's the true essence of being against someone, and it still allies the beauty and the talent. Not that your fat ass understands this anyway.

>>I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing nor why I'm doing it
If you're a sub-90-IQ idiot, yes.

>>If you want to compete with someone, you might as well do some sport or martial art instead of gaming
If you're a sub-90-IQ idiot, yes.

But you're right that boardgames only really appeal to those with a talent and upbringing suitable for complex mental effort, just like body sports only appeal to those who grew up doing something physically demanding.

>board games
>complex mental effort
Picture yourself me laughing the fuck at your ass.

Welcome, Dunning-Kruger.

Here's an image you guys can use to start your own thread next time.

Did you just ad hominem me twice in a row because I think your themeless games are not appealing? Goes to show the intelligence of people who are overwhelmingly competitive about games. You're brain is so well-functioning that all you can do is attack, attack, attack.

You should relax sometimes. Go outside, fuck some girls, like I do.

I'm
How is this an opinion?

Board games are actually not that popular among the 130+ people. Particularily not abstracts since most are solved exercises, and those that aren't are broken.

Real high IQ people find more entertainment in programming, music and sports.

>inb4 "You're"
If you reply to me using this, then you're obviously not from Veeky Forums in the first place and you should get the fuck out.

>120 snowflake thinks his new age abstracts are intellectual
Even Magic is more complex, runt.

Let him under his delusions. He saw Charles Xavier and Magneto playing chess all the time so he thinks you can be intelligent if you play only "actual games" that show your intelligence.

By the way, being narrow-minded to the point of idiocy is not a sign of possessing a good intellect either.

I thank God every day that I'm 129 and can therefore appreciate board games.

Not what I said, dipshit. Read again and try with some reading comprehension magic sauce this time.

a) I'm among those "130+ people" and you're demonstrably wrong.

b) Also not what I said, read again and apply your reading comprehension kung-fu this time.

P.S. That said, yes, you're one quarter right in that boardgames typically promoted and peddled in the USA appeal to lowest-common-denominator idiots. It's getting better with time, but very slowly.

Things are different for the rest of the world where kids' brains aren't ruined with cancerous boardgames and toxic play patterns from an early age.

Are you high? Stop huffing glue, nobody mentioned abstracts ITT except you.

>you're right that boardgames only really appeal to those with a talent and upbringing suitable for complex mental effort
So you implied here that board games are played only by people who can exert this "complex mental effort", and as a result, you have drawn a parallel with the act of doing board games (since those are for "people with the ability to perform complex mental effort"). You really should try to put that "highly performant" brain of yours to actual use at some point, instead of barking like an ill-behaved pitbull.

As a result, you're just an elitist asshole and you should just get the fuck out.

Didn't say 130+ people can't appreciate board games, they're just more likely to appreciate Descent 2e than The Duke, contrary to what stereotypes may have you think.

I bet I can beat you at every game that requires more than 8 variables and I'm sub 120.
You're exactly the kind of people I get to kick down a notch at game design courses.

Chess is an abstract.
You're tripping balls or don't even know the most basic gaming conventions?

I was being facetious. A hard 130 means less than people think it does anyway, IQ can fluctuate based on time of day and blood sugar. The Duke was easy to develop a play heuristic for when I did, IME pressure is far more valuable than board presence, but that's just IME.

>So you implied here that board games are played only by people who can exert this "complex mental effort"
I did not. Read what I actually said again: "boardgames only really appeal to those with a talent and upbringing suitable for complex mental effort".

Did you fail school? Take some remedial reading classes.

>I bet I can beat you at every game that requires more than 8 variables and I'm sub 120.
Probably. I'm not competitive in either physical or mental sports and I mostly play with kids.

There's only one reason something isn't successful, and that reason is bad marketing.

KD:M will remain the biggest indie moneymaker for a very long while and it's a dicidedly dumb game that would be entirely unplayable without the plethora of resin tits and fetish artwork in it's "rulebook".

>game
It's a set of models with a board and a rulebook orbiting them. dude.

>they're just more likely to appreciate Descent 2e than The Duke, contrary to what stereotypes may have you think
That's true, The Duke is a lazy and broken version of chess, I have a hard time figuring out who it's supposed to appeal to.

That said, there's a mountain of games better than Descent. (Unless you live in some hellish burgerland wasteland where Steve Jackson is the pinnacle of boardgaming.)

What's chess got to do with the discussion? Stop huffing glue.

> KD:M will remain the biggest indie moneymaker for a very long while
There's a huge, huge, huge world out there outside the TFWNOGF burgerclap online teenager circlejerk.

KD:M doesn't even register as a blip on a blip in the larger boardgaming world.

Spiel des Jahres nominees 2017

>For the SdJ proper:
Kingdomino by Bruno Cathala
Magic Maze by Kasper Lapp
El Dorado by Reiner Knizia

>For the Kinderspiel (children's games)
Captain Silver by Wolfgang Dirscherl & Manfred Reindl
Ice Cool by Brian Gomez
The Mysterious Forest by Carlo A. Rossi

>And for the Kennerspiel (more complex games)
EXIT: The Game by Inka and Markus Brand
Raiders of the North Sea by Shem Phillips
Terraforming Mars by Jacob Fryxelius

I teach games at a local game store, mostly Hive, The Duke, Carcassonne and King of Tokyo.
Since 2008, the only people I have been able to teach and play a whole game with, without having to go over and over rules or being otherwise disenfranchised from the experience, were a family of rednecks. All because their momma taught them not to use their phones at the table.

Discipline and good time allocation have more to do with how much you'll enjoy board games than IQ, competitiveness or social acumen. People who can't timeslot and concentrate will ruin the game no matter what talents they bring to the table.

What other independent game has raised 10M before even hitting retail, oh know it all autist user?

I feel like I need that image of a guy paying for high-quality shit to eat, even though it's not 100% analogous.

You don't sound 130+. You sound like an angsty 120 teenager mad that he's not being praised for being at the bare minimum of high performance.

You hit a wall and now your 90- peers don't satisfy your intellect but 130+ people won't stroke or even tolerate your ego. Poor misunderstood "genius".

Go play Pokemon or Magic for a while, once you have your ego beat down by entropy and dumb creativity no matter how well you strategize and min-max your gameplay, smart people will be more willing to play with you.

Why is everyone using numbers instead of standard deviations.

Sports, particularily team sports, appeal to way too many high IQ people. It's just they have to get out of high-school and start seeing the resource management aspect of it instead of being bullied by the losers that barely made the team, to notice they actually like football.

Because this is Veeky Forums, where even the geniuses go to act retarded.

There is a lot going on there, but I'll give it a shot next week. Thank you

>Sports, particularily team sports, appeal to way too many high IQ people.
Nobody said anything about "high IQ people" except your sorry ass.

What I *actually* said was this: "boardgames only really appeal to those with a talent and upbringing suitable for complex mental effort".

And lo and behold, this dude corroborates:
> All because their momma taught them not to use their phones at the table.
> Discipline and good time allocation have more to do with how much you'll enjoy board games than IQ, competitiveness or social acumen.

I can't tell my job interviewer that I basically fap to anime all day.

Mentioning playing which board games would impress a job interviewer, but not make him suspicious that I may be bullshitting him? Additionally, it should also express a good taste, optimally through it actually being good.

Not contributing to this shitshow.
Bumping with unrelated greasepaint mustache.

All he'll see when you mention board games is an adult man willingly spending his free time playing Candyland.

Only if they ask. No one cares about your hobbies.

If you have time to mention them in a Job interview and your over 16 you've fucked up quite a bit.

I'm projecting though I mention mine all the time because finding work that doesn't want me on call in the evening has proven impossible in this day and age.

>That crop of that comic
I know you've been to some naughty places user.

Picked up Cosmic Encounter about a month ago and I'm really enjoying it. Now I'm looking into picking up some expansions, which ones should I get first?

Incursion, dominion

I love those days where I sleep late but don't have to worry about catching up on the posting in /bgg/

If you're a collector? All of them, preferably in print order because it's more OCD to buy chronologically. If you're looking to get a longer life out of the game? Dominion/Incursion for a rewards deck, Storm for space stations so everyone gets more gamebending powers, or Conflict for hazards (only if you feel like there's not enough times in the game where you say ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!) Haven't played the newest expansion so no suggestion there. If you want to expand player count that's the first 3 (Incursion, Conflict, Alliance); skip alliance til last unless you really want white ships.

This is a pretty good buy order, tho I'd put Storm at the end, just because I like stations. Incursion gets you to 6p, with the best addon (rewards deck) Dominion has the better deck.

Just a quick look at my shelf:

Village
Belfort
Yedo
Broom Service
Argent The Consortium

There are also these that I do not own but played before:

Yunnan
Gallerist
Vinhos Deluxe
Yokohama (Recent Edition)

Is Dominion still the king of deck builders, or has anything managed to surpass it?

Dominion might still be the best pure deckbuilder.

Other good games include:
Arctic Scavengers, Clank, Tyrants of Underdark, Valley of the Kings series, Realms series (Star Realms, Hero Realms etc..) and my recent favourite, Dale of Merchants.

>not enough arguing in the thread
As far as market deckbuilders? I'd take Trains every day because there's actual meat beyond the mechanics. Trade row? Star/Hero Realms has blown up quite a bit; but lots of people dislike the balance problems with a random row of cards to buy. Bag building? Puzzle Strike prolly has the best balance, but Sirlin seems to want to just make games, not market them to sell.

speaking about bag builders, Hyperborea is also quite underrated.

If you want raw unthemed deckbuilding Dominion is probably the 'best' at that.

But I enjoy Core Worlds, Thunderstone Adv, and Valley of the Kings way more than Dominion. They have more depth than just 'buy this card cause it gives you points'.

But I know they haven't/won't ever reach the volume that Dominion does because they are much more niche themes. Dominion is so sanitized that it's completely inoffensive to just about any tastes and can therefore appeal to many tastes.

Dominion is still the 'king' of deckbuilders much like how Magic is the 'king' of card games, and Monopoly is the 'king' of sales.

I would say it is in that everyone has said for years "This will replace Dominion" and then it never does. That being said, I think broadening your horizon will find you a deck builder you like more almost certainly. Just depends what you're looking for in a deck builder. My favorite is Baseball Highlights 2045, but I would never expect that to fill in for Dominion as far as one size fits all.

See but when people say "this will replace Dominion" the game they're talking about does. Dominion is is a lot of collections; but when someone says "this will replace Dominion" it often does *in their* collection. You're not ever going to replace the first game that created the genre fully, still defines it (to a point, trade row are their own thing) and has as many expansions and long term support. You will however often find a game more tailored towards your own needs/group.

It did for me because even when it was the big thing, I never liked Dominion. Too little player interaction. That being said, most people I know who said that still own, play, and get expansions to Dominion more so than any game they said replaced it.

Yes, it's still the only one with some semblance of depth and/or strategic thinking.

pffff HAHAHAHAAHA

Just impulse bought Galaxy Trucker on a trip to my FLGS. I've played it before, and I love it despite its (many, many) flaws. Textbook example of a game that's more fun than it is good. Hoping it's gateway enough for my not-quite-gamer friends as well.