sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
This inconspicuous hobo asks you for spare change. What do?

I'm like this thread already

Give it to him because good PC's will always be more fun and safe then evil ones, meaning that any self serving man should be good or at least neutral.

Tell him that money won't help him and that he needs to seek to develop his situation instead of obtaining a short-term solutions that might only encourage bandits to rob him.

Give Bahamut some money, he walks on.
Teach Bahamut to fish, and you can invade the mainland before he notices.

>say "sure"
>say "sorry, not today"
>say "piss off old man"
>inexplicably try to murder the old man because lolrandumb

>1d8
I was discussing using a shield with it actually, so it'd probably be 1d6 most of the time.
...Whiich only makes Spear Mastery seem all the more necessary.

On the bright side, Spear Mastery's a very good feat on some characters.

As a Paladin you don't have a crowded bonus action so you can use the Bonus Action abilities often.

Last thread was a clusterfuck.
Behave, faggots.

>IT'S WHAT MY CHARACTER WOULD DO!

Please stop.

Personally I just wish they had a spear that was a higher base damage.

You could do the old "It's a heavy spear that can't be thrown but does more damage, so may I use 1d8 damage with it?".

Still a worse option but now not too bad.

refluff Halberd

>players say they want more politics in the next campaign
>next campaign rolls around
>all but one of them have rolled up characters that are either far removed from or reviled by society (ranger, druid, rogue, beastman (slavers in my setting))
Fucking... why?

They can stage a revolution or something.

Well, it's probably going to be fun anyhow. My only two characters before were 2 sessions as a Sorc and 2 as a Wizard that I was forced to play.
At least I had fun with the Sorc by scaring the shit out of people and actually managed to beat someone in melee by pummeling their face in with the bottom of my dagger.

Anyhow, after racials, how's this looking for my stats spread? This is including the Protector Aasimar ASI.
16 STR
13 DEX
14 CON
12 INT
14 WIS
18 CHA

It's perfect. What spells are you going to use mostly?

Well you rolled for stats which I personally dislike but it's not too bad. You're stronger then most PC's/10.

>all positives
you'll do fine you moron

You can still make a politics game with this, user. Remember Jon Snow's chapters from ASOIAF?

Just to be prepared, I'm going to make a random hobo Bahamut chance. Would people say 1 out of 1000, or 10,000 is better chance for any random innocent the party murders to be him?

1 in 1 chance, provided the death wasn't relevant to the story or character driven.

I have a question;

What can I expect from 5th edition?

To elaborate a bit, I have limited experience with D&D directly.

As a kid, I had the dragon cards and handbook from AD&D 1st edition, but never got to do anything with it. I'm vaguely familiar with 2nd edition, but only through Baldur's Gate I & II, reading over the actual rules showed it was very clunky. I've played some 4th ed, and really didn't care for it, it felt too derivative.

Now I'm signed up for a text based session of 5th edition, on a whim, but have no idea what to expect, aside from the GM wants to make it more narrative focused, rather than players staring at their character sheets and min-maxing, which sounds good.

Am I going to be disappointed? I mean, the GM is pretty good, it's the system I'm concerned about.

5e is a fine system, a bit simple, but that is by design.

>running SKT for 6 brand new players
>first session
>party finds Nightstone, discovers it is full of goblin looters
>"let's just set it on fire"
>they seal up the entrances
>burn down the fucking village
>everyone inside dies
>PCs set up camp by the river as the village burns

Now what do I do? The Zhent agents probably wont be happy to discover the burnt village and it's perpetrators.

Can we talk about mounts. What are the best mounts and builds for mounted combat? Is mounted combat even good? Why are paladins the only class that gets Find Steed? Would you recommend making a mounted combatant?

I was thinking of my next character being a small race mounted on a medium companion so I wouldn'y be fucked if we we had to crawl into a dungeon.

>so I wouldn'y be fucked if we we had to crawl into a dungeon.
despite a lot of theory crafting, if your mount can navigate stairs, most dungeons aren't an issue.

Posting this mainly to get more feedback on it, and what things might be busted on it.

TL;DR version: a port of the Swordsage from 3.5 to 5th edition, turned into a Monk archetype instead of a class all its own.

Making a Half Elf Archfey Warlock/Ancients Paladin. What's the "ideal" level spread?

Going Shield+Quarterstaff (Shillelagh), (Added bonus- Quarterstaff can be used for blasting EBs so I have a solid Ranged option all campaign)

As of now I'm thinking Warlock 3 for Agonizing Blast and one other Invocation (Either "you don't sleep" for flavor, Shadow Book for Rituals, or Devil's Sight for Darkness cheese), and Book for CHA Shillelagh and one other Cantrip. Maybe Thorn Whip? and the rest in Paladin.

Also r8 short rough draft backstory-
>Due to "Reasons" (Maybe they don't even remember because lolfey) they ended up as apprentice/squire to some Fey Noble/Knight/whatever*
>They serve out their apprenticeship for a decent time- in Fey standards anyways
>Now an old(ish) man, they're finally ready to finish apprenticeship/squire stuff and become a full-on Fey Knight

*maybe their parents had a contract to give up their firstborn, an Elf wanted to hide the fact they had a Half-Elf bastard child, they signed a contract at a young age not really understanding what it was to get out of an orphanage, or the lil' dude was just wandering the woods and got found

have any of you guys actually had a murderhobo at your table before? also would it even be that bad considering the stupid shit most of you talk about having in your games?

your build and your character sound gay

>player constantly tries to get a spell off right before combat starts/ when I'm explaining whats going on

I'm a worrier, okay?
I feel so bad for our Sorc because he got two stats below 10 and he decided one of them will be in CON.
Still, both times before I rolled for stats, I just have faith in RNG.
I have absolutely no fucking clue what would be good for them.

Alright, my players got TPKed last session. The deal is that, unknown to them, they've all been touched by Orcus.

This means that they're going to come back to life, or un-life rather, in a somewhat compromised position.

However, I don't want death to be free of consequences, so I'm thinking that each time a PC dies, they permanently lose one of their hit dice.

Do you guys think 1 Hit Die is enough? Any suggestions for alternatives?

Artificer (Either one works, though Alchemist would be better for close range with a Shield if you get it somehow)

>Artificer
>Mounted Combatant
>Mechanical Servant at 6

>Attacks aimed at your servant get directed at you (With medium armor and a shield you should have decent AC)
>Your Construct gets a free attack when you get swung at

There's two main ways to do it.

>Allosarus Frontline mauler
>As the name suggests, get an Allosaurus servant, ride it into melee, RIP AND TEAR with it's attacks and yours. It has a decent AC and HP pool so it won't die like a bitch too easily.
Alchemist is probably the better option here.

>Giant Eagle Sniper
>Take a Giant Eagle servant
>Sharpshooter for long range shots (Bear in mind you'll still need Mounted Combatant because Giant Eagle has puny bitch HP)
>Hang back as far (And as high) as you can to snipe enemies with your rifle
Disclaimer- this one is much more likely for combat to happen indoors or for those pesky Orks to invent flak cannons out of the blue.

My question is why are you bringing them back?

each death brings them one step closer to true undeath, after x amount of deaths have healing reversed, after x more deaths, have them able to be rebuked, etc.

fuck christ in the ass man how can you be this shit of a dm rofl

lame, keep them dead. Tell em all to show up with new characters

What would be the best way to build a DB paladin?

5e isn't all that different from AD&D1e.

Expect a similar experience.

I've actually been planning this for awhile. This isn't something that I just pulled out of my ass to keep failure from biting them in the ass.

Unfortunately, where I was hoping this would only happen to a single player at any given time, It happened to the whole party, so I'm gonna have to improvise.

Also, I've been foreshadowing this for a couple months already, and one of the players has already suspected that he can't die.

Have their children and relatives set out to adventure where they failed and to find out the fate of the dead adventurers.
As in
>new characters

>and one of the players has already suspected that he can't die.
there are worse things than death

Thanks man. I wanted to make a gnome cowboy gun artificer and now I've got more reason.

Is that true though? I don't think a horse is going to fit through a lot of tight spaces and it would be weird to always have your horse inside with you.
Also what are good mounts for medium and small creatures besides Mastiff and Warhorse? Is there something that combines a Warhorse's size with a mastiffs utility?

>I don't want death to be free of consequences
>Removes the biggest consequence there is

Why tho?

If you have a cleric in your party, death is a slap on the wrist anyway.

a large creature can squeeze. most dungeons don't have anything smaller than 5ft corridors. Your mount can squeeze into there.

No problem friendo.

Something else to consider is going Fighter 2 or 3. Doing so gives you heavy armor, a fighting style, Action Surge and, more importantly for Alchemist, a Shield.

I wouldn't recommend it for a campaign that's going to go to 20 though as Artificer has a beefy as fuck capstone.

why the fuck would orcus rezz them as undead in the first place unless they are his servants and even then why would he give them free will? its fucking stupid

Unless your entire party just died.

You could also just make your Servant able to fit in a bag of holding, either by folding/unfolding, being disassembled, or if your DM tries to give you shit for those options just making it a fucking robot snake.

Or if your DM uses rules that things can be partially inside a Bag of Holding (Mine says something can either be in it or out of it, not halfway unless it's being actively removed or placed inside it), you could just let it fold itself into a more compact form to become Medium at some cost such as lower Speed or no Flight if eagle.

Thoughts on the psionic testclass?

Is Bahamut the new meme

No

No just making fun of last thread, let it go and it'll all be ok.

Requirement: Strength of 16+. Starting at 5th level You gain the ability to wield 2 two-handed weapons at a time in battle. You do not add your proficiency bonus to the second strike unless a feat would specify otherwise. Or Furious swings with your sword at enemies where you add your proficiency modifier plus half your death knight level rounded down to the damage roll, For every 10 minutes of combat however, you suffer 1 level of exhaustion, up to level 4, at which point, you lose the ability to wield 2 two-handed weapons and Furious swings or until you are fully healed of exhaustion.

I've never played a martial class. Is this broken? How should I fix it? The exhaustion mechanic seems completely pointless considering it essentially takes 100 rounds of combat to gain a single point in it.

>Homebrew
It's shit

Also, anyone can wield two two-handed weapons at a time. It doesn't mean they can do shit with it. It has to say things like 'you can use your bonus action to make another attack' or something.

This whole thing is shit, but what really fired my neurons was:
>for every 10 minutes of combat
Nigga, most combats last less than 5 turns-30 seconds.
10 minutes of combat is about what you'll have in a short adventure.

Trying to figure out the best class to make this character, because it looks like he'll become a PC here soon

He's an on-the-run former adventurer long past his glory days. Focused on "dark" magic, fights in melee with a Flametounge longsword, casts spells and is in general just a very experienced old badger on a critical mission that he believes is the key to pretty much saving the world. (the PCs are working towards a totally opposite goal, though they have yet to discover they've been used)

I was thinking warlock but he doesn't have a patron, also warlock just sounds kinda boring to play. Valor/Swords Bard or Bladesinger or Paladin, I'm not sure what would work best

I know it's garbage. That's why I'm trying to fix it. My party member pulled this off of dandwiki. I've already torn a bunch of other chunks out of it. Half of the page is barely readable with poor grammar, but I'm not gonna say no if I can just replace some mechanics with pre-existing ones from the handbook.

Probably just gonna tell him to pick oathbreaker or eldritch knight.

Good idea. I like to avoid homebrew as much as possible.

Just say no you dead beat

>My party member pulled this off of dandwiki

Stop being a bitch and tell him no

>tell him no
what do you think
>Probably just gonna tell him to pick oathbreaker or eldritch knight.
means?

Working on a cowboy-inspired ranger conclave. I'm trying to make nets/lassos a viable option for the conclave's gimmick.

Here's what I've got so far:
>Your attack rolls do not suffer disadvantage for being made at long range or within 5 feet of a hostile creature.
>The Strength DC required to escape is 8 + Wis mod + proficiency. The net's hit points are 10 + ranger level.
>You can use a rope as a lasso but I'm still figuring out the specifics of how to accomplish this. Like "you can spend an action to turn 20 feet of rope into a lasso. A lasso functions as a net, including gaining the benefits of this feature. When a creature is caught in a lasso, you can use your action to pull it to any point within 15 feet of you."

What else should I include? I'm considering
>When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a net as a bonus action.
But since another feature already gives you a use for your bonus action, I'm not sure. I mean, it's unlikely you'll be netting an opponent every turn, so you could use this to net someone, then use the other bonus action the rest of the time, but it still seems like bad design in a way. That might just be me.
>A ribbon relating to being really good at tying and untying knots

There's also the issue that it doesn't gel super great with the Two-Weapon Fighting style of rangering. Something like "if you have the TWF Fighting Style, you also deal Dex damage" would take care of that, but again, it seems somehow inelegant.

>You can use a net to make opportunity attacks
But I'm pretty sure you can already do that RAW. Maybe some kind of bonus that encourages you to use a net for OAs? Since otherwise it runs the risk of being overshadowed by the Sentinel feat.

Any other ideas? This is supposed to be one of the conclave's main gimmicks, on par with the animal companion or superiority dice. And I realize there are some pretty complex class/subclass features out there but I don't want it to be TOO complex.

Why the fuck are you allowing Oathbreaker? Unless everyone else is playing really powerful builds he's going to stand head and shoulders above them

Oh. I sorta messed up with the placement of that >ribbon line. It should've gone under "what I've got so far".

Besides ridin', ropin', and shootin', what are some other cowboy-ish things the archetype could do? Something related to the "bulletproof vest" thing for the 7th level feature?

What kind of oathbreaker are you looking at? The one in the DMG is fine.

oathbreaker is pretty strong man. Level 7 bonus is gonna give +3-5 damage on every hit, and if your party has any way to summon fiends/get undead minions that becomes +3-5 damage for all those too. CD is an AoE fear that regens on short rest, they're just pretty great and well rounded.

Not OP IMO and I'd totally allow it but it's fucking great

Sounds good to me.
If I were you I'd avoid the Darkness invocation so as to not annoy your allies.
Maybe check out the book Priest, your backstory sounds a bit like the Green Order and that might help you write / play them a bit.

Hello friends. I am new.

Am I correct in assuming a level 3 Warlock can have 2 level 1 spells and 2 level 2 spells?

It is, but still stronger than the other classes and why its in the DMG and requires DM permission.

I've been invited to a 5e game and I've only briefly glanced at the system before. I'm planning on playing a Fighter and taking the Monster Hunter archetype at level 3 because it looks fun and effective, plus I've always wanted to play that sort of fighter. I also used the variant human trait to get Ritual Caster at level 1, but I can't decide between Cleric or Wizard spell lists. As a Monster Hunter, a lot of the Cleric's list looks useful -- divination rituals will always help and the capstone ritual, Forbiddance, is perfect -- and I took the Acolyte background for RP reasons. However, I cannot deny that the Wizard's list has a *ton* of also useful rituals, and a large bag of tricks can be the thing that saves my bacon later on.

>tl;dr fighter pretending at being a ritual caster; both seem useful, so I'm stuck between flavorful Cleric list or adaptable Wizard list.

inb4 my inexperience with 5e led me to take a horrible combination of design choices and I should just scrap everything and start over.

Has anyone here heard of or read about the Blood Hunter, also would I be better off going 1handed weapon and shield with the dueling style or two handed weapon with great weapon fighter for a paladin? Speaking strictly about maximizing melee damage

That's exactly it, dear user.
You can flare up any more questions you have, /5eg/ is a very receptive and polite community.
Enjoy your stay.

you are not, they have the spell slots listed so 2 level 2

What's your party comp? It's probably better to leave rituals to an actual caster if you can, but it isn't too bad.

I assume he meant spells known, not spell slots.

Darkness doesn't really do much to your allies. It cancels out disadvantage and advantage and it makes it hard to do 'you must have line of sight to target' but otherwise it really doesn't affect allies at all.

>Maximizing melee damage
Go variant human, get PAM. Increase strength on ASIs.
Use a halberd and GWF fighting style.
Go oathbreaker.

DM is still assembling the party and helping newbies make their first characters, but IIRC, so far we've got a NE Druid and NE Rogue.

I'm not going to lie; the Wizard's Alarm spell is a big motivator for me at the moment.

I was considering taking Faerie Fire so allies could see the enemies in Darkness anyways, however not only am I not sure if that works but it's not like I can have double-advantage from them being outlined in Darkness.

Yeah. In fact, faerie fire is even less useful in darkness because darkness turns advantage and disadvantage into nothing for normal players/opponents.

Quick to act is a little underwhelming, though I guess the archetype is quite tightly packed right now. I don't understand why they need Sense Magic but I assume it's ported over from the original swordsage which I haven't read. The wording of Weapon Focus is weird, the first sentence should be changed to not mention proficiency and expertise if it's not interacting with those mechanics.
Alright let's get into the techniques...
>burning blade
It's a damage boost that costs a measly pittance of Ki and lasts for an entire fight. Though I guess it's not much stronger than Hunter's Mark or something, but having the damage increase like it does seems a bit on the strong side. Maybe have it cost 2 ki and just add the monk's Martial Arts die in fire damage?
Spider Dance seems redundant since monks can already run up walls.
I don't see why Riposte has a 5th level requirement. I also don't see why it has a damage boost on it, that seems unnecessary.
I'm starting to see what the format is. You should specify in the Weapon Techniques feature that you have to take techniques with a matching level requirement to the level you take them at, otherwise a player might do something dumb like stack all of the damage boosts and waste all their Ki trying to do 4d8 damage on a single attack.
Giant's Size seems too strong compared to Bonecrusher and Sonic Boom.
Iron Bones looks too strong, physical damage resistance is a big deal and this Monk is getting it refreshing on a short rest for very little resources with no way for the enemy to counter it. Might want to bump the Ki cost up to 8, or bump it to 6 and have it take concentration to maintain, or leave the cost as is and reduce the duration to only last for a round.
Shadow Noose doesn't specify taking any actions.
Blade Flurry is too strong lol.
Everything after that is too crazy for archetype features.

This whole thing is just "more damage" with barely anything interesting. Is this what 3.5 design looked like?

Oh, also, darkness dispells light created by spells of 2 or less.

Sounds pretty solid, I don't think my dm will go for OB though, what's a good second option?

>probably

The correct response to dandwiki is NO 100% of the time

Vengeance or treachery. Though I'm not a fan of UAs. Both can potentailly give you advantage and haste and such.
After that is devotion which can give you a +CHA to hit if you take an action.

So I'd say either devotion or vengeance, but the difference between the paladin oaths in terms of damage is minimal (except oathbreaker which makes you the most powerful DPR in the game)

Go Vengeance and get Tunnel Fighter for your fighting style.

>Teach Bahamut to fish, and you can invade the mainland before he notices.
Or you could just hire some hooligans to put him in a coma.

Two-tined metal-hafted Slith Spears when?

>Why are paladins the only class that gets Find Steed?
There's also Phantom Steed. It's a ritual.

>This whole thing is just "more damage" with barely anything interesting. Is this what 3.5 design looked like?
Yeah, pretty much.

I haven't actually read this homebrew or the original sword sage.

>This whole thing is just "more damage" with barely anything interesting. Is this what 3.5 design looked like?

Welcome to 3.5 design. The class itself revolved around using various schools of blade magic and entering stances to do their cool stuff, but most of it was either damage or some debuff (movement reduced to 0, cut their AC by a few points, etc.)

Oh, also: if the author wanted to do a more faithful port he'd have to re-imagine and balance out something like over 50 techniques for the class, at which point it might as well be an entire class with the archetypes being the specific school of blade magic.

Paladin is the most "KNIGHT" of all the classes, so they get a reliable source of amazing steeds.

It is an awesome spell but I've never seen mounted combat really be a big deal. So in the end it just becomes a pretty awesome ribbon/ thematic power for a Paladin.

Do kinda want to make some sort of Halfling Paladin who dual wields lances and rides a frog or something though

>Most dpr in the game
Holy shit, how?
Are they made to be used as antagonists?

They get +CHA to every hit. And improvised divine smite.

At level 11, that's +CHA+IDS to every hit along with +STR along with making up to four attacks in a round, usually three, along with also being able to smite.

How would I go about making a homebrew flying race not be ridiculously OP compared to normal races? I figured I'd not allow flying in armor or when the character has more than a certain weight of equipment on them and maybe put a time limit on flight time.
Is this enough or should I just scrap it altogether?

>homebrew
It's time to slow down, take a deep breath and stop.