Kamigakari Thread

Its that time again.

This times challenge is to post a picture, and then the next posters will try and come up with what styles/races that character would be.

I know a couple anons are doing homebrew stuff, so if you have any questions on that, please speak up.

Baseline stuff
mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata
pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

Google Docs Character sheet (for if you play online)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xY5uiJleOpnlh93SGLq2_iKteOFZnlMH1X-MtEDsWsw/edit#gid=0

i'll post some of the ones from last threads dump, to get us started.

I'll just leave this here again, close to the top, before dropping out for today.

There is a lot more detail and the A&B styles, but for a basic idea this suffices.

VERY BASIC CHARACTER GUIDELINES

STYLE (CLASS)

You want to be a Swordsman? Arc Slayer.

You want to be a Gunman? Legion.

You want to be a Brawler? God Hand.

You want to be a Ninja? Dark Hunter.

You want to be a Bard? Divine Talker.

You want to be a Bender? Elemental Adept.

You want to be a Wizard? Elder Mage.

You want to be a Technomancer? Digital Sorcerer.

You want to be a Summoner? Contractor.

You want to be a Transforming (Super-) Hero? Dragon Carrier.

You want to be the Holder of a Legendary Weapon/Item? Legacy User.

You want to be a Manipulator of Time itself? Time Wizard.

RACE

You want to be a plain old Human? Human.

You want to be descended from a God? Scion.

You want to have Monster blood? Darkstalker.

You want to have a Youkai in your family tree? Hanyou.

You want to come from a long line of Wizards? Magus.

You want to be a Cyborg? Cyborg.

You want to have the blood of Dragons? Dragon Lord.

You want to have strange Eye Powers? Demon-Eyed.

You want be a powerful Spirit? Divine Soul.

You want to be a famous Mythical/Historical Figure? Heroic Spirit.

You want to be a person from Another World? Marebito.

You want to be a Weird Monster? Sakimitama (an untranslated Mononoke PC Race).

nah, thats fine. what with my initial prompt and all

I'd be more interested in a playstyle summary than a fluff summary.

that essentially is a playstyle summary. What those classes would generally do is summed up in the descriptors.

Ninja? shadowy stuff, speed, general fuckery.
Bard? healing and support.
Time wizard? accelerate or slow time

those are actually fairly concise ways of summing up the playstyle's.

Got Humanoid and Beast Mononoke done over the weekend. Gonna do a set a day, but I'm also needing to start in on PDF 2.0. Ultimately I'll probably release 2.0 and Requiem at the same time, so... hopefully, soon?

user, you're the best !!!
Still, don't burn yourself, take your time.

Can't wait! Looking forward to writing a campaign of some kind.

Whatever pace works best dude

Ran a game on Saturday. I only had three players available so I ran a oneshot.
I mashed up Air Gear and Jet Set Radio, and everybody had Contractor A + other Style.
It was wacky fun.

The fuck is this?

I'm curious. What is the S E A L E D high talent supposed to do? All of it's characteristics are "locked." But I have no idea what that means.

Well, no.
Does Ninja mean Taijutsu, Genjutsu, Ninjutsu? Stealth? Speed? Camouflage? Infiltration? Illusion? Shadow Clones? Poisons? Smokebombs?
Same for Bards. Sustained songs? Cyclic abilities? Lore? Team coordination? Taunts? Trickery?
And how do Time Wizards do what they do? Flat buffs/debuffs? Modifying action economy? Off-turn actions? Predictions? Rewinds?

I guess it's just a gimmick, but maybe the translator can shed some light on it.

Yes.

It's my little joke. No one needs to know what it does right now anyway, not until Chronos is fully translated.

How does combat work in this game? Can someone give me an idea of how the mechanics work?

Does anyone have an answer to this?

Magus Contractor

Scion Dragon Carrier

Divine Soul Elemental Adept

Human Legion

Human Digital Sorcerer

Scion Legacy User

Hanyou Divine Talker

Maybe not the best choices, but I thought they were interesting ones?

Cyborg Legion

Heroic Spirit Legacy User (Annie Oakley)

So that's a no then?

Dude, each Style has dozens of Talents to choose from. You can literally create all of those things you wrote, and easily at that.
But I guess actually reading the book was too hard for you.

Again with the fluff? I was asking about playstyle, not fluff.
I want to know what the game offers in terms of engaging with the mechanics, not for the ways I can interpret that engagement.

I'm joining the challenge too

Talents ARE the mechanics, man. They're something like D&D Feats.

We obviously don't understand each other, and are talking past each other at this point. So I'll stop posting now.

well, combat is handled relatively easily.

Regular combat is fairly easy. Roll initiative, go in order, do thing on your turn. Most rolls will be 2d6+mod. there are two main mechanics in combat. The spirit pool, and attack rank. The spirit pool is a pool of 4 dice that you can use to either alter a roll you make, or power your talents. if you simply alter a roll, you swap out the dice of your choosing from the roll itself and one from your spirit pool. Good if you need to hit.

However, if you Use the spirit pool to power talents, those dice become "Exhausted". they are defunct until the start of the next round, unless something happens to make it otherwise. You reroll any exhausted spirit at the beginning of each round.

For non-combat stuff, its mostly freeform, aided by stat checks and a set of maneuvers in the book.

If you really are too lazy to even read the feats, i'll give the cliffnotes on some particularly interesting ones.

Digital sorcerer excels in manipulating the spirit pool of their allies turning them into power houses. Many of their talents involve altering dice, paying for cost, or giving overflow.

Divine talker is exactly what it sounds like. You buff either the offensive or defensive abilities of your party.

Dark hunter, among other things, is the only class capable of using ranged and magic attacks after moving more than a square, and also has talents to control enemy positioning.

Dragon carrier's have transformations that alter their stats

etc. I'm not going to go over all of them, but if there's one in particular you are looking at i can give the cliffnotes for that.

Remember that each person starts with 2 style's.

Demon-eyed Arc slayer A/B

Sounds a bit basic. How much playing around is there with the spirit pool, if it isn't too difficult to convey without reading the system? What sort of cool stuff can you do with talents?

Sorry, forgot rank. Rank is basically the sum of the talents that improve your rank, X the highest die in your attack roll. This will equal the base damage you deal, before adding PD mod.

For example, everyone has 1 Rank to start with in their respective weapon of choice. Lets say you add 2 ranks through a talent and roll a 6. Your damage would be 3x6 or 18+mod.

fairly simple stuff.

The spirit pool is extremely dynamic, even without a digital sorcerer. Its a very simple system to get into, but there's a lot of interesting stuff you can do with talents. For example, the aforementioned dark hunter can swap places with enemies.

The interesting thing is that you can stack as many "Timing: unique" talents as you can afford without repeating, so mixing and matching the style's and talents can bring forth interesting new combinations that the base game may not have even considered.

Combination play can be pretty fun. I'll give it a look. Thanks for answering my questions!

A lot of them can just be "add rank" or "add Main stat to PD", but each Style has a bunch of interesting talents in one or the other of its sub-style's, so it can get pretty interesting.

Getting to use it at one time will require luck or patience though. You may not always have the cost for something you need, so you can take a turn to either exhaust that die and hopefully recharge it as something else, or take a turn to alter a single spirit die outright to whatever you wish.

Anyone can do that.

I'd say Probably Scion, human, or magus since they have no outstanding physical traits that would make them something else. digital sorcerer/Legion for this one

Okay, that ones just izaya.

Dark hunter all the way.

Too bad there's no 'magnificent bastard' Style.

Darkstalker Dragon Carrier.

Got any particularly interesting tidbits from your game?

Human Elemental Adept
Divine soul Legacy User

Legacy user? seems an odd choice

I don't know where she's from so I thought the sword and the magical scarf were connected.
Like whenever she uses the sword to attack the scarf attacks aswell or holds the enemy still or something.

That'd be pretty cool actually. or it could work like in busou renkin, where the scarf acts as a battery for the swords functions, dissipating when used. That'd be neat too.

That sounds a lot cooler.
Maybe when the scarf fully depletes the sword takes from the users life to power it's attacks.
The user decides if the sword takes years off their life or takes slowly larger amounts of blood.

That's a really interesting concept

Thats going a bit overboard, i think.

I like the idea of needing to rely on skill once special powers have been depleted, more than edgy things like using ones life force for power directly.

In the correct setting its good, but it needs that background setting to go with it or its just unnecessarily wasteful

Thank you.
Well both could work.
Magical attacks take from the scarf and life and normal attacks rely on skill.
That works and we're both happy.

You'd need to create a style for her, since all they do is cook,

The rules stuff worked fine. The fun was really in the description as everybody was stunting like crazy through the Osaka cityscape. The players outdid themselves in describing all the outlandish (and physically impossible, but who cares) stuff their characters were doing on their rollerblades. It was blast.
The boss was a pseudo-fascist ex-cop who aramitama.ized after being fired for excessive violence. It all worked out well.
Maybe they want to return to the setting some time for another oneshot. I'm up for it, if they want to.

Aha. Good to know. Thank you for answering!

Sounds like a a great time. Keep up the good work dude

alright fuck all of you too then

woops, my bad. I got caught up with everything else and missed that one.

Kamigakari is a system that i would describe as "Anime as fuck" the system. Its got really fluid combat, and rules-light social stuff, mostly freeform with a few checks.

Basically any anime bullshit you could want, you can do. So far there's been about 3 examples of things we couldn't quite emulate, and 2 out of those 3 had no actual qualities to them besides just being a weird thing.

for the record, those two things were a bao a qu, a fictional creature who's only feature is to follow someone up a tower, and magic space jesus form kaoru from evangelion.

Does that quiver only hold three arrows? thats horrendously inefficient

Charitably I'd say it stores more below, just auto-loads a choice of a few arrows when one is pulled out. Since it looks all tech-y, anyway.

fair enough, but even then with the size of those arrows, it can't possibly hold more than 15.

That isn't nearly enough for the kinda shit a god hunter has to deal with

Consider this:
if it's anime it's 97% likely you can emulate it with this system.

So far I had short games like this:
Air Gear/Jet Set Radio
Superpowered Cowboy Bebop
Refluffed Styles as Mecha Classes (fun, but harder than expected)

All the players died in the Mecha game, so it was more Gundam than Macross. Won't repeat.

not as hard as you'd think with legacy user B. one of their armors is literally a mech

Kamigakari - the game for all your anime RPG needs.

Things that can be emulated with these rules:

EASILY
Naruto
Bleach
Fate/Stay-Night (and related titles)
Tsukihime
Street Fighter
Ninja Scroll
Akame ga KILL!
Berserk
any Final Fantasy title
Magi
One Punch Man
To Aru Majutsu no Index
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
Mahou Sensei Negima
Madan no Ou to Vanadis
World Trigger
any Mahou Shoujo Title (Sailor Moon, Precure, Madoka, etc.)
Gatchaman CROWDS
Rurouni Kenshin
Get Backers
Hellsing
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Tenjo Tenge
Kamen Rider
CLAMP's X
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk (The Asterisk War)
Soul Calibur
Dragonball Z
Psyren
Darker than Black

WOULD NEED SOME WORK
One Piece (Logia and the more esoteric Devil Fruit powers would need some creative rules interpretation)
Attack on Titan (I don't know how the system handles the size difference)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 3+ (Stands as shown in JoJo would be somewhat hard to make)
UQ Holder (immortality is not intended for Players)
Hunter x Hunter (the multitude of Nen powers would need some rules juggling, probably)
Gunnm, aka Battle Angel Alita (everyone's a Cyborg, basically; and no magic)
Fairy Tail (the great number of powers available in FT would need some serious research to remake in this game)
Boku no Hero Academia ("weak" powers like some of the Quirks are difficult to make)
Toriko (weird abilities/powers)
Persona (the varied summons could pose a problem)
Shin Megami Tensei (same as Persona)

HARD TO DO
Gundam; any Mecha show, really (would need some serious work, but with some creativity even this can be made)
any Slice of Life titles, of course (anything that doesn't feature combat in a central role misses the themes of this RPG)
game Touhou (manga Touhou on the other hand wouldn't be that difficult)

[This is all just IMO, of course]

Revision (I forgot second styles). This is also assuming these are original characters since I haven't checked to see if they are actually from anime

Magus Contractor, Elder Mage

Scion Dragon Carrier, God Hand

Divine Soul Elemental Adept, Time Wizard

Human Legion, Legacy Weapon

Human Digital Sorcerer, Dragon Carrier

Scion Legacy User, Legion

Hanyou Divine Talker, Contractor

Cyborg Legion, God Hand

Heroic Spirit Legacy User (Annie Oakley), Legion

Demon-Eyed Dark Hunter, Divine Talker

Human Divine Talker, Time Wizard

Hanyou God Hand, Dragon Carrier

Human Legion, Digital Sorcerer

Darkstalker Contractor, God Hand

Human Elemental Adept, Divine Talker

Human Contractor, Legacy User

Human Arc Slayer, Contractor

Youkai Legacy User, God Hand

Heroic Spirit God Hand, Arc Slayer

Cyborg Legion, Dragon Carrier

Heroic Spirit (William Tell), Legion, Time Wizard

again, mecha are handled by legacy user B. so gundam and shit aren't nearly as hard as you'd think.

damn dude, slow your roll with the walls of text.

Also, there's only 3 things so far i've been able to identify from something.

This is poharan from blade and soul

Orihara izaya from DRRR

And the delinquent form of megumi from shokugeki no soma

Darkstalker Contracter

Magus Contractor, Legacy User

I'll slow down. Kami distracted me, but I was on mobile so couldn't respond until I got done checking out.

I was going in for in-patient surgery and bored while I was waiting for them to come in and do a bazillion injections in my back.

whoa. That escalated quickly.

s'all good though. that said, i think the other guys right about the darkstalker thing. Hanyou or something at least, what with the horns.

Human Legacy User

Last pic, then I'm dropping off for today.

Much appreciated user. Lots of good stuff, and interesting to boot.

Hanyou, Darkstalker or Youkai. I honestly didn't see the animal ears and thought the horns were a headband :p I'll let others answer the next batches. I think I'm getting the general idea that it takes maybe 15 minutes or so to make a character once you know the system and just cut & paste Talents

That was the goal. Deciding on items and additional effects takes longer than figuring out the general themes.

I figured it would help people if they could realize how easily and quickly they could make a character just by using a picture to pick out a couple themes.

So, while I understand multiclassing is awesome and totally doable in the system. And that you can make just about anything work. Are there any pitfall combos or totally OP combos of classes and effects?

Some people seem to think Contractor B is really broken. Arc Slayer A gets an early leg up on dealing huge swaths of damage if you build certain ways. All in all, though, there's nothing really too broken in comparison with anything else.

That said, its not like every combination of things has been tried. There may be some really OP combination of things we simply aren't aware of.

Do all the dice become exhausted, or just the ones used for the power?

Just the used ones.

There are a few ways to get extra dice as well. a high talent, digital sorcerers, and divine talkers all have methods of increasing your spirit pool. Many classes have methods in at least one of their style's to alter dice as well, like arc slayer B's ability to trade spirit die with others.

i suppose i should mention, digital sorcerers and divine talkers deal in whats called "Overflow" dice. These are special dice that can only be gotten in certain ways, but they act as any number you need. They act as an extra dice, for all intents and purposes.

You can't influence with them, though! Just pay for costs. But they act as any value for cost paying.