Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world where hats are optional.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Question of the thread: What is the first legend they will tell of your character? How did they exalt? What did they exalt as?

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/fU68LOW
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Was there anything official published about Vitalius?

I don't even remember who Vitalius is, so probably not.

check in directions malfeas

would you consider acid-hardened clothing to work like silk armor? (doesn't count for martial arts, can be worn under armor)

and what happens if you acid-harden steelsilk?

>acid-hardened clothing
user what on earth you babblin' 'bout?

("Greetings good sir, would you mind expaining that thing to me? I appear to be somewhat ignorant of it, and you caught my attention.")

I think he means the Infernals Vitrol artifact bathing thingy they have.

(">Question of the thread: What is the first legend they will tell of your character? How did they exalt? What did they exalt as?")
I posted this on the last thread, but it's more relevant here

First session, we are playing heroic mortals. We are in a mini-dungeon of linear challenges. To proceed after each challenge the group must gather near door which opens while another door closes behind us. We find wounded member of the previous group that tried the gauntlet before us, a friend of my PC. Next door would not open with him nearby. With defining intimacy of "I will protect those who cannot protect themselves" I am practically required to try to not leave him behind. And this happens

yeah, what he said

>Acid-Hardening Bath
Wits, Difficulty 2, Casting Time: one hour
The Art of Alchemy»Initiate
Any infernal material may be toughened by immersion in a specially prepared vitriolic solution. Softer materials, such as cloth or leather, become as sturdy as metal without loss of flexibility, while harder substances become as resilient as Creation’s magical materials. Affected substances blister and flower into the same range of alien shapes assumed by relics. A failed roll results in the immersed material’s destruction.
Infernals (2e) page 176

>what happens if you acid-harden steelsilk

It says right in the description that you can't. Infernal materials only

Have your characters Exalted, by the way? Or is/was it a heroic mortals game throughout?

Do we have release dates on future 3e splats? My group have been talking about exalted, but personally I'm not too keen on playing a solar

within the next 40 years we'll probably have at least one

just in time for the next campaign then

As a general guide, how many resource 3 purchases would you expect to make off selling a single resource 4 item?

At a guess? About 10. Resources works on an exponential scale after all.

thanks

Does anything break if you allow players to not pay the XP cost of Wyld Shaping Technique, or at least refund it upon a failure?

If you ask me, empowering players is almost always a good thing. If you feel things get too easy, just make harder encounters

it's the sole limiting factor on the already horrifically broken charm...so basically nothing that doesn't already break by letting them have it i guess

>Does anything break if you allow players to not pay the XP cost of Wyld Shaping Technique
Not really, but you need to trade off being able to put your foot down on shenanigans.

Holdorke wrote rules for autists, not the majority of people who will actually play tabletop games rather than talk about them on forums.

Basically what I was figuring.

Huh. I figured that the swarms of Fey and WP cost, would be enough of a balance. Is it not? Also, I suppose that means that at absolute most, I'll just refund XP for a failure rather than just fully cut the cost.

Er. I don't really hang out on the forums very often, so I'm not sure what you mean?

if i may ask, what is it you don't like about being a solar?

Dunno really, they just don't really inspire me. When I first looked at the different things sidereal was the one that really stood out to me as coolio

So when making evocations, how much plagiarism is too much?

it's only plagiarism if you get caught

So, a jade allow goremaul that shoots lightning and controls the weather would be too much?

I just stole crumblepunches dragon styles and chopped them in about half.

You would probably get caught, yes.

If you're gonna plagiarize, you'll probably have more success with something a little more obscure than Thor.

Not the guy you asked the question but I also don't find solars generally interesting. Solars are newly introduced wildcards. Other exalteds (dragon, Lunar, Sidereal) all have previously established history.

I'm not really good at explaining in english s I'll try giving an example. Solars are like adventurers. They usually have no previous history, they aren't a part of society. They go out to get fame and riches. You go from nothing to something.

Dragon, Sidereal and Lunar all part of their respective society. They have established history and complex structure. If Solars are bunch of rag-tag adventures these guys would be part of same knight order, same guild, etc. They all have history. Some people don't like having the establishment because they see it as a crutch. As I said solars are wildcards and they do their things their way. With this group you follow the norms, finding the loopholes and generally follow the established laws to get the job done. Also it gives me the feeling they are part of something greater than just themselves. They belong to something.

They don't have an Exalted society, but they were mortals first, they're from somewhere, they have families and loyalties.

When they exalt they become outcasts. You can try to hide this but how long before the jig is up? Lunars are also outcasts but they are usually dicking around on the border with civilization so they don't have that problem. They have their own society. Solar are inside hostile society that sees them as anathema or wildcards at best.

how could i use 3e to play ghost in the shell?

stat scarlet johansson

This is only true in areas where the Immaculate Faith holds sway. Outside of the Blessed Isle or Realm satrapies, most people couldn't differentiate between a Solar, an elemental and a god. A Solar in the Hundred Kingdoms would be a local (and eventually, national) hero until House Mnemon or Lookshy get involved. Even then, no one's going to listen when a bunch of hostile outsiders tell them that their personal superhero and newly-crowned god-king is a soul-eating demon come to destroy the world when they still remember when that "anathema" saved their country from a rampaging behemoth last month.

Bland

>how could i use 3e to play ghost in the shell?
Look for the fanmade Alchemicals book.

>stat scarlet johansson
How about I stat your mom.

How do Malfeas and Yu-Shan look in Exalted Modern?

Wyld Behemoth Mata Yadh confirmed to be coming out this Wednesday.

Its something I guess.

Oh wait it was already in the FUCKING LEAK.

So THAT'S what that's supposed to look like. Significantly more badass then the glowy ball I had in my head.
I doubt it's going to come out 100% unchanged. Probably at least minor changes, also most likely more fluff now since its getting its own thing. Besides, these are more to make sure they keep attention while getting on track with being full devs anyways.

There's more than just that, mind.

So it's not useful to you, but it's very useful to me. Good to know.

And also someone called the Shopkeeper, who I will probably have to try very hard not to imagine with the voice of the RE4 Merchant.

>it's very useful to me
Isn't the leak under Other Ex3 Resources in the OP?

I'm more making fun of "ABLOOBLOO, IT WAS ALREADY IN THE THING THAT WAS NEVER SUPPOSED TO BE RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC AND NOT EVERYBODY ACTUALLY DOWNLOADED".

We also know that they're aiming to give more Eclipse keywords in the bestiary updates.

>What is the first legend they will tell of your character?

Biggest dick in all Creation. Literally and figuratively.

>horrifically broken

You'd probably shit yourself and pass out crying if you think the nerfed garbage of 3E WST is broken.

First and for now only session. Heroic mortals at the start, we will exalt eventually.

I guess the solution would to learn how to season them.

I thought for a moment acid-hardening was an actual thing in real life and now I'm somewhat disappointed.

Not really any blander then elemental Chinese men, Seers who know kung-fu, furries fucking animals out in the woods, Or goths.

> Hello! A while ago I started on a little project to recreate the Third Edition map in the same style as the map as presented in First Edition. Now, I know what alot of you are thinking; the 3E map looks great! You're an idiot who wasted alot of time! Well, maybe I did. However, I always liked the 'pop' of the bright colors of the 1E Map, I find the 3E map a tad washed out looking for my tastes. I also wanted something that lacked the fanciful embellishments of the 3E Map, which I sometimes find distracting. I am sure there are errors that need to be corrected and I would gladly take any criticism as constructive advice!

> Here's the Imgur Link : imgur.com/fU68LOW . Let me know if it doesn't work. Beware, it's kinda big.

Thought I'd share this here because it's pretty cool. Kashi, if you're around, thanks for that.

Now to add as much of the canon locations as possible to it!

Actually I like 1st edition map better. Person who did 3rd edition map is clearly better at drawing BUT there is so much shit going on that map that it is hard to read. Everything is fighting everything for attention and details.

Thanks for this.

I anticipate both maps being useful, and thankyou for your work user.

significantly moreso(except maybe the shitty goth solar mirrors)

Has anyone figure out a way to track purchases and other financial bullshit that isn't the godforsaken Resources system?

Sumo-inspired MA style when?

This is great, thanks

One group is effectively building your own society and social groups and building your own legacies using brawn and brains.

The other is chinese elementalists who run like every bad kung-fu movie where you will never change anything important and you'll wind up wanting to kill everyone within a single game.

The other is bad kung-fu stereotypes number 2 only with some divination and whatever goofy ass name the developers can think of for kung-fu.

Lunars are literally furries.

Alchemicals are Communist robots.

Infernals are bad rockstars.

Personally I prefer building my own because all this groups are shit.

You missed Abyssals, I think.

>Personally I prefer building my own because all this groups are shit.

So you are a communist that thinks his society is better that everyone's else? More liberty and equality for all.

They're that forgettable.

>Er. I don't really hang out on the forums very often, so I'm not sure what you mean?
he means the rules and costs for that charm were written expressly to counter powergaming autists like the kind you might encounter on forums discussing a tabletop game. people who actually play are unlikely to abuse things and cause you grief if you remove the xp cost.

Hell in Exalted Modern is basically a plane entirely of energy, kinda like Chaos in 40K

Yu-Shan was basically described as a graveyard the Infernals destroyed a longass time ago.

What if my players want to keep the dragon-blooded as rulers? Does the setting support this?

That with the solars reads like "The Rightful King Returns and you are wrong if you prefer the dragon-blooded".

>Yu-Shan was basically described as a graveyard the Infernals destroyed a longass time ago.
That's fucking stupid.

Do you mean puppet rulers or left to their own devices?

It basically brings the God's to Earth.

Also Yu-Shan in Modern is at the top of Mount Meru. You can double check to see if I'm wrong though.

>Does the setting support this?

Depends who is doing the reading and it depends who is doing the writing. Some will say dragon-blooded are worse that Hitler and some will say they are equivalent of Imperial Rome.

When it comes how DragonBlooded sees Solars, it also depends. Religious ones will see you are a abomination that should be killed, some will try to use your power to further their own goals and some will think you are here to make things better and will do anything in their power to help you.

Choose your own approach. Hear different suggestions but choose the parts you like. Nobody should dictate how you run your Exalted campaign and what is "canon". Hell even official writers can't agree on the topic.

Is this scaled in any way?

lower left. I think each square is 500 miles

many of them have to die if they don't want to.

The setting supports it just fine. They'll have a lot of difficulty in convincing the Dragon-blooded to leave the "evil anathema" alone, but the DB's have been running the world about as well as could be expected in the last couple centuries.

They were dealt a pretty shitty hand, but damned if they aren't still playing. They're clearly doing something right.

Haven't checked on exalted in about a year. We're clearly going to be waiting forever and ever for anything more splat wise for a wide range of exalts. Are any of the homebrews professional/playable quality? Which ones?

You can always try to convert something yourself

there is huge charm list for Dragonblooded. I still haven't got the time to look through it.

search google for "A Clutch of Dragons: Hub Thread" on onyxpath forums. It should be first on the list.

I would, and I've thought about it numerous times, but I'll admit that I'm pretty shit at balance. I'm hoping there are people who've done a lot better than me.

Thanks, that's one of the few I knew of that was going strong way back when. Looks like it's doing fantastic. Dragonblooded being the first one we're going to get officially, are there any other splats converted/made with quality?

I'm sorry for not actually answering your question with my suggestion...
personally, I think homebrewing whole lists of charms would be much more effort-demanding than anything I'd be willing to be deal with

Thinking about acquiring 3rd Version and starting a new round. 2nd edition always seemed waaaaaaaaaaay to crunchy for me rule wise. From what i have gathered 3rd is somewhat more streamlined and lighter in the rules department. I am aware it is still somewhat crunchy but it should be managable for a lazy bumfuck like me who struggles with learning the rules right ?

Also fro mwhat i gathered you can only play a solar atm. Is that right ?

All of them but Fae. And I guess abyssals but you can just build them as solars and refluff them

Sidereals: Where fate has Led
Infernals: To Rule in Hell
Alchemicals by Sandact6
Lunars by Irked
Dragon Kings by Lanaya

3e is better in every way but its just as crunchy if not moreso. I hate rules light RPGs though so having more rules is a good thing for me.

And yes you can only currently play Solars. The Devs who delayed the like for 5 years have been fired and competent devs are working on it now so we should have DBs out perhaps by the end of the year and if not the beginning of next.

Yeah, I think there were two lunar attempts in progress, and hints of a sidereal one, and an infernals had been put on hiatus, but so far I haven't found any of them.

That's awesome as hell, thanks to you, and whoever consolidate this.

I had no idea these were around. Now that I've got some specific names, google should be easy. Thank you for being awesome.

Irked's lunars are only a charm set no character creation but entirely usable.

To Rule in Hell has infernals as ability based, so I would prefer Sandact to finish his, but it is also entirely usable.

Am I right in thinking that Sorcery, as defined and exemplified in the core, in general is pretty underwhelming and shite? Seems like a ton of investment for mediocre or even bad results.

In 3e? Are you out of your god damn mind. Or are you just fishing for responses to keep this general from hitting page 10?

The emerald circle attack spells aren't amazing, that is the only critque there is of Sorcery. It is rediculously powerful. The only characters that should not get sorcery are those that have a VERY big backstory reason not too.

>The only characters that should not get sorcery are those that have a VERY big backstory reason not too.

Which is, frankly, a problem in and of itself. You don't want sorcery to be useless, but you also don't want it to be so useful that there's no logical reason not to take it.

Yeah in 3E. I just finished reading that section and what they give you seems pretty shitty. Especially the Solar Circle ones except for Rain of Doom. Unless you make your own spells or demon summoning is absurdly strong I don't understand why you're implying it's bait.

It's not that necessary.

It's not necessary, but incredibly easy to do, incredibly wide ranging in what it can do, and incredibly cheap to gain access to.

When the go-to answer to most problems in the world is "do a sorcerous working" then it's a bit too omni-applicable. Now, sorcery isn't always the BEST option, but it remains a valid option for almost every dilemma a party could face. The fact that a single Charm purchase leads to the solution for a very large subset of challenges is an issue.

Sorcerous workings are a pain in the ass, however, when the optimal strategy for 99% of your problems is to beat the shit out of your problem.

>go-to answer to most problems in the world is "do a sorcerous working"
Oh so this is why you're calling it ridiculously powerful. When I read about those it seemed to me like the xp and means costs weren't worth the trouble, and that it would be easier to just go punch whatever the problem is.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Punching every problem can lead to the fun escalation of the problem, or in many situations you can't punch the problem. Sorcerous Workings meanwhile provide an avenue to easily wrap up the problem with no drawbacks. And the XP cost is barely an issue as Solar XP can be used to fund your workings and it will get refunded if the workings becomes irrelevant. Especially as you go up in the Circles since lower Circle workings get cheaper XP-wise.

Sorcerous Workings I feel are too wide-ranging and too tailorable to the problem you are facing, so that much like 2e Solar Charms they bypassed interesting problems instead of engaging in them. They won't surpass a Solar whose specialty is in the problem you are facing, but it gives an omni-tool to people that is still very, very effective outside their specialty.

no reason to be a cunt desu.

>or in many situations you can't punch the problem
Name a problem that cannot be solved with enough combat strength

>easily wrap up the problem with no drawbacks
Can you give me an example?

You want a ship the size of a city that can float through the many rivers of Creation. A place where you have easy access to all your goods and thousands of follower to deploy armies enmasse where you need them to.

Sorcerous working what would be the interior of a TARDIS is an easy way to solve this problem.