astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
How diverse are your games?

>How diverse are your games?
As diverse as feels natural for the array of PCs, their dealings, and the location?

>How diverse are your games?
I have literally never made a non-white or female NPC in my campaign.

Tell me about the big evil mage hidden away in some tower I'm sure your setting has somewhere

What did he mean by this?

No evil mages in any towers or anything in my settings. Just relics of the past guarded by restless constructs.

>Ranger - I'd rebuild it using the paladin as more of a model
I really want to hear this explanation

Super Moon Druid when?

How would you guys mix valor bard and battlemaster fighter? My character is basically a fencer who is learning magic.

I think you can see it in more recent ranger subclasses, with similar 3rd-level features involving bonus spells and a small extra damage feature. It'd probably involve a way to use spell slots to increase damage and an always-on damage increase at 11th, and maybe having subclass capstones be later with stronger effects.

One thing you can consider is any time the players gain a non-ASI level do one, maybe two bouts of relatively no-frills combat, since then the novelty comes from whatever new abilities they may have gained. Otherwise get creative.

And obviously this is more of a thing at earlier levels. There's more of a to-do about someone suddenly having Superiority Dice at their disposal than gaining their second use of Indomitable.

Well what is the model of the Paladin? Does he mean giving defensive bonuses to allies in an area and spending magical resources on a class feature to get boosts? I guess you could get a good Ranger out of that.

That concept could work as Valor Bard or EK or Battlemaster (or a bunch of other things) with Magic Initiate etc. Are you particularly set on doing the multiclass?

Eldritch Knight with the Superiority Dice feat. Maybe take it more than once; make use of those fighter ASIs.

ayo hol up
hol up

is u sayin
we wuz bards 'n sheit

I generally design my (human or human-ish) characters to look like they're from a specific region, so I suppose.

Thus far I have based off real life regions-
>Chinese F.A.N.G. from Street Fighter looking Far Traveler Yuan-Ti Pureblood
>Alberto Barbosa meme looking Human Far Traveler Lore Bard from !notEgypt mixed with Mesopotamia
>Tibetan/Buddhist style Far Traveler Undead (Revenant) construct Monk (doesn't really count though since Monks are Tibetan-themed anyway)
>A Cowboy sounding/looking Hobgoblin Sailor/Bounty Hunter (Though I admit the only reason he sounds like a Cowboy is I can't do a good Sailor voice)

All the other characters are either monsters, from a made up location without much of a real-life counterpart, or "Generic European Midieval to Renaissance period".

The only thing I agree with him on is initiative. 1e D&D had the perfect initiative system and should be ported over to 5e. Granted it's a lot of work and I don't think anyone is up to the challenge. Segments was a perfect mechanic and I wish it never fell out of use.

I'd personally remove ranger as a class from the game and add it as a subclass of fighter. I've never liked rangers thematically being half casters and always viewed their toolset as borderline superhuman rather than supernatural/arcane.

He can fuck off about druids being shapeshifters. Shapeshifters should be an entirely separate shaman or animist class.

The Mad Puzzle Master, has multiple covers across different planes, a sorta clone of Halaster that wasn't tied to the prime material plane Halaster. He mostly appeared as a gnome, halfling or rarely as a hill dwarf, replete with Scottish accent of course!

I'm mostly set on it. I'm very fond of the maneuvers that come with battlemaster; I also really like the inherent ability to debug that comes with the valor.

I appreciate the idea, it's not bad.

I'm guessing you mean debuff, but then I'm not sure because Valor doesn't really do that. Did you mean the College of Lore/Cutting Words, or like, general Bard debuffing stuff? Or hey, maybe you're actually debugging computers and shit, modern games are cool.

Not sure how you mean diverse, but in our current 5e evil campaign the party is as follows:

Human Necromancer (played by a black dude)
Tiefling Warlock (qt asian girl)
Mountain Dwarf Rogue (white dude)
Fallen Aasimar Ranger (another white guy)
Hobgoblin Fighter (fat white guy aka me)

Mobile autocorrect shenanigans. I was referring to cutting words, yeah. I loved the imagery of it, even if there are probs better ways to debuff your foes on the regular.

Initiative is pretty bland, Fighter's issue's solved with some of the UA and Warlock's design is just completely different to every other class in the game.

Revised Ranger is good and the only issue is Rangers have no fluff.

Druid idea's shit.

Is there a reason they can't just give us a free downloadable .pdf of the adventure? I'm pretty sure all other editions had a free adventure.

Not sure what he means by actions being fuzzy

Bonus actions are fine but Major and Minor actions are probably a better system. Being able to do 1 major or two minor is something I like in systems.

Is his necromancer black, though? I've heard that people usually play characters of their own race.

>Fighter's issue's solved with some of the UA
No, it isn't. The baseline fighter's extra attack is simply too strong, which is why they have to make his subclasses bland and weak. Rogue's subclasses are lackluster for the same reason. It's one ribbon ability after another.
Ranger, however, operates differently. It's his subclasses that utterly define how the character plays.

If they ever did 5.5 again, 4 attacks would probably be champion feature, while battlemaster would be more like 3.5 martial adept.

After holding him down and having the Warlock clean him with prestidigitation because of his poor hygiene, we discovered he was white. Not that it really matters to any of the characters, we just wanted to clean him up.

let's see...
>Cyclical initiative - too predictable
Disagree, different initiative styles slow things down too much and are usually abandoned in favor of cyclical initiatives anyways
>Fighter subclasses - so bland!
Somewhat agree, Fighter could use some spices.
>The divide in the warlock between the pact and the pact boon - boons should be options chosen from among stuff your specific pact can give
Disagree, one of the few things warlocks actually have is their mutability
>Ranger - I'd rebuild it using the paladin as more of a model
Somewhat disagree, the NEW ranger is pretty fine, we already have nature paladin with oath of ancients.
>Druid - I'd make shapeshifting more central, maybe scale casting back to paladin or rogue level, use a nature domain for the guy with a scimitar and shield
Disagree, I think full nature caster is needed, though should play more differently from divine and arcane caster
>James Wyatt wrote a cool sample adventure for the DMG that we couldn't include. Wish we had.
N/A, not familiar with it, don't care.
>A better treatment of actions - action typing is still too fuzzy for more tastes.
Disagree, actions are clear, people are just too retarded to wrap their minds are FOUR things (action, bonus, reaction, nonaction)
>Bonus action - they're pretty hacky; I'd get rid of them and just design smarter. Prior editions always poke through your thinking and distort it. We were so dependent on swift/minor actions that it took a lot of work to stop framing concepts in their terms.
Somewhat disagree, bonus actions are fine, but i prefer 4e's way of subbing in a greater action for a lesser

Honestly I don't see an issue with some classes who have a strong core and others with core subclasses.

Up until level 11 Fighter's are pretty much worse then Paladins, Barbarians and Rangers without their subclass. While barely better after 11 if they went GWM+PAM bullshit. Fighters aren't strong in combat with their core class even though they should be.

If anything subclasses are going to need a slight powercreep like the Sorcerer.

Hey, you fucks ready to go to Chult and beat the piss out of some fuckers in the next hardcover?

Ah, in that case you want Lore Bard. You might have difficulty here, since as a fencer character, you probably want to get Extra Attack fairly quickly. Yet ultimately, every level you take in Bard (which pretty much covers all the flavour of your concept) is keeping you one level away from getting that feature. In particular if you don't get it by Level 7 or so, you're going to start falling quite behind.

Fighter is pretty front-loaded with Action Surge and Fighting Style, and also has much better starting proficiencies, so...I'd say go Battlemaster 5 and then jump into Bard, and then just do as much as you want. You could ride it all the way to 15 if you want, or take one more Fighter Level for the ASI, or whatever. I don't think this is a super optimal build, and there might be a better way, but it's the best I've got.

That druid junk is nonsense, the ranger redone is fine we already have a nature paladin in the Oath of Ancients.

So Mearls basically hates nature?

Is playing a Barbarian refluffed as a werewolf edgy? Are there any tips you'd recommend for the idea of playing one?

Are there cooler Were-animals?

He could go Warlock Initiate for Boomblade and EB plus Hex, though those might be a bit too "magic" for their flavor.

Appreciate the advice.

I like that 5e is friendlier to players that want to play a concept. If I had tried this back in my 3.5 days, I'd have been laughed out of that toxic community.

Opinions on bard expertise? Should I go Persuasion/Deception or Stealth/Perception?

Geez, so you're shilling for 5e even harder than its lead designer.

>Is playing a Barbarian refluffed as a werewolf edgy? Are there any tips you'd recommend for the idea of playing one?

No, it just quickly labels you as a complete furfag.

>Are there cooler Were-animals?
Anything as far removed from ever being sexualized as possible: Gorillas, crabs, insects, etc.

What if everyone I play with already knows I'm a furfag?

I like 5e, what of it?

If they're not uncomfortable, have fun.

And walruses, yes?

Don't give them any more reason to fucking hate you. Keep that shit in whatever your preferred method of RPing a furry faggot is.

Perception is the god-stat in most cases, you get a fuckton of milage out of Persuasion and Deception if you take advantage of it. I have no experience with stealth bard shit though.

>Anything as far removed from ever being sexualized as possible: Gorillas, crabs, insects, etc.
user, I've got some bad news for you.

Arcana can go from "lol why" to "advancing the plot by leagues with one check" depending on how your DM plays it.

Would not take on a quest/10

They're all furries and weeaboos as well though, interestingly no weeb or furry characters have ever been in the game.

Also it's the bedroom with my husband.

Crabs are the only one I can't remember seeing.

Persuasion is one of the most overrated skills in the game. You're not going to convince people in shit, if the DM doesn't want it. On the other hand, when you sneak past monsters, they use actual stats to spot you.

Sounds to me like you have a shit DM if they aren't at least willing to let you fudge some things with Persuasion.

Everyone in my groups plays Variant Humans because they're bullshit, except for one guy who occasionally plays Halflings.

I have a Ye Olde Faerunian Muslim (from Zakhara) in one game. Otherwise I'm usually a Dwarf.

>Also it's the bedroom with my husband.

So you're a literal faggot. Because there's no way you're a chick.

No shit I'm a faggot, straight furries are a myth.

>So you're a literal faggot
Are you surprised? Most furries are also gay. When you want to fuck an animal already, is there much of a difference what sex it is?

>tfw my cousin has begun falling down the slippery slope of furfaggotry and it's likely too late to save them
I knew something was up when she kept nagging me to draw wolves, but I didn't think anything of it beause at that age I thought Dinosaurs/Dragons were the coolest shit.

t. Artfag

No, it's because female animals aren't sexy. Six or eight tits, located on their belly? Get the fuck outta here.

Well my group itself is 100% caucasian, my party consists of:

Tiefling
Variant Human
Kenku
Dragonborn

So it's super diverse with the odd human being the strangest ICly.

>Dinosaurs/Dragons were the coolest shit
Don't suppress your Scalie desires, user. Draw me a dragon fucking a car.

Very diverse, every single character's black, trans and gay.

>GM wants to bring people off of variant humans
>He gives every race a free feat
>Players still choose it because it now gets 2 feats
I don't know what he expected, but he didn't get it

Most builds only need 1 feat. V.Human's only issue is it's retardedly powerful to get a weapon feat at level 1 and most people need it by level 10. So without it they'll have to sacrifice an ASI and be behind.

I'm working on a project to give out fair and balance 'Variant ___' races that get a feat in addition to the race's biggest 'flavor' abilities.

Player base or party?

The former is mostly male and mostly white; one woman and one hapa.

The characters are usually more diverse. We have a guy who plays dwarves and halflings, a guy who mixes it up every time, and while the girl is almost always human, she'll usually base their ethnicity on some concept (exotic swordsman, Northern barbarian not!scythian, etc).

The GM is also progressive, but not the irritating kind that forces diversity; his settings feel diverse without feeling like pandering, but that's also because his plots tend to involve globe-trotting.

Nah, I have no real attraction to furfag shit at all. Looking back half the reason I liked drawing dragons and other monsters was that it was easier than drawing people with my lack of anatomy skill back then.

>tfw scetch artist
>tfw never could find out how to chicken scratch a good body
Learning to do it slowly and solidly was torture, famalam.

How do you guys stat your polearm paladins? I assume I have to go human to get PAM at lvl 1; should I also take GWM at 4? Or should I just pump stats? How much worse is it if I pick a different race? Should I get Sentinel?

If I play Barbarian should I bother with AC boosting much or just pure damage and use my HP to tank things?

Half damage that hits is still more than 0 damage that doesn't.

Personally I consider 17 to be the cutoff for "good" AC, if you got less than that better pump it up.

ninjas can't get you if they're dead.

Do both. Then just be a super tank.

taaaank.

the amount of shit you can survive is hilarious.

Give me one good reason why all spellcasting classes couldn't be replaced with the Mystic class.

Alright, I've got 16 and once I can afford Half-Plate I'll be able to up it to 17.

True.

Sadly, another player's a tank and I just died. This is my new character and I don't want to overshadow his role.

illusion of choice.

Psionics a shit

Do we really even need distinct classes at all?

Variety of effects and damage scaling at high level play.

And yes, hurr durr no one plays past 10th level, but Mystics have no equivalent of shit like the Investiture spells, let alone Conjure X, Gate, or Meteor Swarm.

The 17 AC you get from DEX 14 plus Half plate is good enough. More is of course nice, but you'll want to devote your ASIs and magical items towards other things.

It came up in the last thread that GWM is suboptimal for paladins once they hit 11 and get improved smite. I think the general consensus is get Sentinel after you have 20 strength depending on your specific party make up and how much you need the extra control.

Is this Loss?

/5eg/, how do you handle player deaths? Do you let them remake a similar character? Do you drop their levels? What do you do with their equipment?

I want to make a Dragonborn marine as a character.

How should I build him and what gear, weapons and armour should I equip him with?

Also, I heard Dragonborn were underpowered or something. Is this true?

>Make a character of every class because autism, one PHB only and no multiclass and one full-on multiclass cheese
>Realize every single CHA class has a 3 level (at least) Warlock dip

Does Warlock need a nerf as a dip class, or maybe should other classes get a boost to discourage it? As is it's almost straight better as a dip than played alone.

>how should I build him
Depends on the class
>what gear, weapons, and armour
Depends on the DM, your starting gold
>Dragonborn were underpowered
Underpowered is not as limiting as it sounds for most things in 5e; a better phrase would be "sub-optimal". However, yes, dragonborn aren't the best by comparison to a good number of the other races, specifically with how their breath weapon isn't really too hot as levels ramp up.

Of that character died and the party was unable to get their equipment, sorry it's gone. Any new character coming in can be close and I normally just start them at the same level as the party.

>projecting intensifies
Yiff in hell furfag

I haven't really played around with a dragonborn, what makes their breath underwhelming in higher levels and how would you fix it?

If none of the others have done it don't be that guy that starts it.

Dope idea or not

>will be playing a Level 9 College of Swords Bard w/ a Flametounge Longsword
>CoS Bard can use weapon as instrument
>So fluff Flametounge as a fucking guitar that erupts into flames on my command word (something flashy as fuck)
>play on it to inspire/cast spells, slash everything while doing manuevers and shit
>do it with haste at level 10

I still dunno what I'm taking for my VHuman feat, or what magical secret spells I should get besides haste

Not everyone wants to have spooky mind powers to do things they can do with magic instead.

Took a long break from 5e due to some RL shit, but now I'm getting back into it. What are peoples thoughts on Hexblades these days? I read the Unearthed Arcana for warlocks and it looks actually playable these days.

Add a status effect on the breath attack, like poisoned, slowed, etc...

Well I thinking of making him a fighter. Is the Mariner Fighting style any good?

Also, which of the Fighter sub-classes would fit a marine?

It's scaling isn't that great and you can use it once per day, most people suggest atleast letting them use it based off their Con mod per day.

Grognards of /5eg/, what are some classic supplements/modules that are worth reading?

Also, out of curiosity, what are some of the worst publications you've ever seen?

>per day

It's per short or long rest.

"Once per long rest" is effectively once per day, since you can long rest only once per day.

Hexblades make good EB turrets and bladelocks. They're the most viable bladelock since they can get medium armor, boost Strength with Cha secondary and grab the Cursebringer invocation as quickly as you can. The smites are outrageous nova. Multiclassing with another cha caster class can make them pretty busted though, since the scaling for the extra damage is so high.

It's fun.

Did you not read the word "short"?

What do I throw at mid-high level adventurers for just general encounters? Do I need to do general encounters at all?

Like say they wanna take a Long Rest out in the woods, and they haven't fought anything in a while. My players are level 8 and extremely powerful, fighting wolves ain't shit they've fought fiends and a young dragon and undead and bandits and hags

Good to know, was thrilled to see them get the support they needed. Hex feature looks amazing, new invocations seem strong as fuck especially the ability to smite with high level slots, and the shadow-hound is ridiculous flavor.

Any recommendations for magic items? Typical warlock affair of spells slot restorting or extra slots?