EDH/Commander General

EDH/Commander General

Missed trigger edition.

>Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
What's the worst card you've ever seriously put in a deck?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/qQmKnzCr
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hapatra2-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-memnarch-combo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What's the worst card you've ever seriously put in a deck?
pic related, fucking awful but wins the game with Repercussion in play

Here is my Xmage Kagemaro build for the user who requested him
pastebin.com/qQmKnzCr

feels bad man

I have no idea why I bought this card
started playing 2 years ago (jumped right into edh) and thought this was bonkers

The art is pretty nice though.

I played a few games against kids who thought EDH was a variant of Standard, so their decks were Standard legal. Just crammed full of godawful draft chaff.

>pastebin.com/qQmKnzCr
really interesting thanks for posting

It's interesting for a Macar deck, or any other Inspired cards; gives you an free, safe, reliable way to get your dudes tapped.

I feel like it could have comfortably cost 2 fucking mana though.

i put one of these in my dedicated oona mill deck so that all the faeries she poops out can be mill dorks too.

the foil is only a buck :3

>>I feel like it could have comfortably cost 2 fucking mana though.
Dude it's Kamigawa

Draft chaff EDH sounds kinda fun though

>I feel like it could have comfortably cost 2 fucking mana though.
yeah for sure
>Draft chaff EDH sounds kinda fun though
AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE
its REAALAAAAALY slow and the color identities never really shine

It's the kind of thing that starts out seeming like an interesting challenge, and just ends up being boring very quickly.

To be fair, Phenax requires the creatures to not be summoning sick, whereas the Koto lets you tap a creature the moment it hits the field.

If you had to build Block Constructed EDH, what block would you pick from?

Alara.

Theros
Enchantments are too fun. Anyone who says Urza's is a fag.

Alara or Khans. I'm a sucker for good mana and 3 colors. Khans is probably empirically better, but Alara has a lot of nostalgia value for me.

Kamigawa

Ravnica

HOMELANDS

not even technically part of the ice age block any more

Scars. I bet it would be a blast.

Khans has by far the most fun commanders and it also has a lot of staples and generally good cards
Alara is close second for basically the same reasons
Mirrodin is also pretty good

Addendum: What commander would you most likely be playing from that block?

>Kamigawa
Skyfire Kirin probably

Alara-non here.

Kresh or Thrax.

Clearly Skittles or Thrun.

The only multicolored commander from the set

Ya boi Ravnica, going with either Tolsimir Wolfblood or Teysa, Orzhov Scion.

Remember when this, Memnarch, Bosh, Thelon, and Rhys 1.0 were technically not legal as Commanders?

>Team Skull Theme intensifies

Hisoka, Minamo Sensei
I'm also playing Gifts Ungiven, Sensei Top and Jitte

>Khans
Atarka, World Render
>Alara
Thraximundar
>Mirrodin
Sheoldred

yeah, that was a bummer. my first edh deck would've been bosh, but because he couldn't be used i ended up making sharuum and going down a dark path.

So why 100 cards and not 50 cards?

Why 50 and not 100?

>it's ya girl Teysa

Because Highlander is 100 card singleton.
>but why was Highlander 100 cards and not 50 cards
Because some anonymous MtG table wanted to have 100 card decks.

Because Tiny Leaders is shit and you should kill yourself.

i always figured it was to make games less consistent overall so that you can play the same deck with varied results over and over again.

OG Mirrodin ya dunce

Wood Elemental, in Gitrog with Titania in the 99. I've yet to build Titania on her own but I might drop ol' Woody in her as well.

I was considering Koto in my Brood Tyrant until the zombie version that's a million mana cheaper came out in Amonkhet. The art's good enough that I might still consider it in Macar or Oona, I kind of allow myself a slot or two for jank in EDH, as long as it still does something to help me and play well with my strategy.

>theros
Brimaz or Anax and Cymede most likely

Post group hug staples

I think that was the original idea with Highlander, yeah. 100 card singleton intended to make games less consistent so games were more varied. EDH was just a variant of Highlander, so it started from that point.

Speaking of Teysa, im cutting a single high cmc card from my traditional Teysa, Orzhov Scion deck and need to replace it. Out of these cards which seems the best?
Mikaeus the Unhallowed
Day of Judgement
Martial Coup
Vampiric Tutor
Idylic Tutor
Reanimate

Which are the best and which are the worst?

>RitesofFlourishing.png

vamp tutor if you're a combo build, martial coup if you're a token build

Oh, best to put -in-. I thought that was what you were looking at cutting.

Going in blind, probably Dirty Mike or Vampiric Tutor. Day of Judgement is a bad Wrath, so I'm assuming you already have Wrath and Damnation, which means it's probably overkill. Coup is an interesting option, since you can use it to clear the board and have a ready suite of dudes to feed to Teysa. Idyllic could be useful or bad depending on how many enchantments you have, and Vampiric can find anything that can find. Reanimate is okay.

So, yeah. Without seeing a list, I'd say Dirty Mike or Vampiric Tutor.

I meant Scars, sorry

>Theros
>Enchantments

it would be extreamly easy to turn my mana mastery deck into alara blck.dek

Tooth and Nail
wait, you thought I was giving you all those lands just for fun?

Lorwyn

Wydwen

Can I be cheeky and pick "Early Expansions"? It's a 'block' according to Gatherer and we all know I'd be gimping myself. Would probably rock an old-timer either on vanilla or trinket-text abilities from Legends or Autumn Willow Voltron. Maybe Adun Oakenshield or Angus MacKenzie could work? I'd have to actually investigate my support and get inspired.

If not, either Tempest/Rath Cycle (Greven Voltron? Selenia?) or Time Spiral (Jhoira, Ith, Kaervek, Radha, Saffi, Thelon, or Endrek... so many choices I haven't researched). While those two fight for the top slot, Ice Age is the clear bronze medalist: It's got a ton of fun cards and some neat themes (I for one LIKE snow), but it has crap for commander selection. Lord T. and the flying purple hippo are nice, I guess? I'd want to play Heidar but he needed another color to be a viable commander.

My brother of African descent

This card in my Thelon Fungus tribal deck.

constellation was a good idea, they just played it too safe for the most part

what enchantments are you running? Possibly cut Idyllic if you don't have any real zingers

fuck, i thought you meant big teysa nvm

>worst card
Ivory Tower in my otherwise optimized Karlov. The FtV foil is just so pretty.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hapatra2-1/

I've almost finished my hapatra deck. I would appreciate help with cutting the last couple of cards needed.

ivory tower is particularly good with necropotence

It's actually pretty good in Kuphrix, basically a 1 mana Venser's Journal

most of theros block was too safe.

Monstrous for the most part is a mechanic that matters in limited.

Bestow was a very expensive answer to the 2-1 aura problem.

Constellation was in a similar spot, tend to be overcosted, with minor benefits from enchantment etbs

What's the best Naya Commander? I'd really like a Naya deck, but I'm not sure which way to go.

Samut: Looks like Voltron (and can win that way too) but more like "Surprise motherfucker, infinite combat steps!"
Gahiji: Like above but minus Voltron.
Marath: Infinite combos
Mayael: Waifu Commander

What are your best Naya Commander funtimes?

Except it misses the point where Journal does something else.

Cards that do nothing but gain life are bad.

With Kruphix the other ability of the Journal is redundant

So you play a shitty version of the half of Venser's Journal nobody plays Journal for, instead of just putting in an actually useful card?

K.

johan exert

new mechanics are fun

if you're playing a card to have no max hand size why not just play spellbook?

kruphix already says you have no maximum hand size

Just play Thought Vessel.

Sidar Kondo+Tana the Bloodsower.

Yeah I already have Damnation and Wrath of God and Austere Command so it may be overkill. I guess Martial Coup would work better then Day if I want a Board Whipe as it also leaves behind Tokens for me so ill rate that higher on the list. Mikaeus is sweet although a lot of creatures in a Teysa deck end up being human so they dont get Undying, I actually own a copy of him tho. Idylic Tutor grabs Darkest Hour which is essential to the combo or Grave Pact if you need to control the board even Necropotence if you need cards. Vampiric I dont actually own and its kinda pricy but its the best as its any card I need.

You're missing my point.

I wouldn't put Spellbook into a Kruphix deck because Spellbook is a shitty card, and because Kruphix already covers it. I -might- put Venser's Journal into a deck because it does something more than Spellbook, but it's probably be a lifegain focused deck, where it's doing two things.

I would not put Ivory Tower into a Kruphix deck because it's a bad card.

>Kalemne's namesake creature has a Monstrous ability
>it costs 7 fucking mana
I'm still sad Eidolon of Blossoms was green. Heroic was fun though.

R8 and h8 my shitty budget "steal your commander" Memnarch deck I threw together

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-memnarch-combo/

From what you've said, Vampiric is probably your best option. It can find your combo pieces, as well as finding you a Wrath or another answer if you desperately need one (though honestly, I like Demonic more than Vampiric as a one-off tutor since it gives you the option of casting what you find immediately)

If you don't already have Demonic in there, go with Demonic, since it's "better" in some ways, and monetarily cheaper. If you already have Demonic, I'd say put in Coup.

I had a crappy Constellation deck that used shit like Nyx Fleece Ram, Eidolon of Blossoms, and Doomwake Giant. It was kinda decent, but I had always wished we got more Constellation stuff.

People actually pay 5 for "No maximum hand size" now? An effect that can come stapled on a land, a 0-mana spellbook, or a discard-nerfing Library of Leng?

I don't think so. If you play journal, you play it for the life every turn. Ivory tower earns you less, but it also comes out as a 1-drop. There's a reason it was a control staple in early magic. It's showing some pretty nasty signs of age but

>Cards that do nothing but gain life are bad.

Is rather dated as truisms go. The only reason it holds up better in EDH is that higher-level metas tend to not attack your life total linearly. And as metas go there's plenty of space between ones that are combo out or gtfo and pure crawwurm.dec

i don't know man, i'm not the guy who put ivory tower in kruphix, i just thought you missed that he already said "no max hand size"

Skybind and Doomwake Giant are the two cards that make B/W Daxos control possible

I forgot about Kalmne's captain

>3(W)(W) for a 5/5 vigilant
>5(W)(W) exile all artifacts/enchantments

WHY.

For 7 mana it should have been asymmetrical

we cant let boros be a strong color its not blue enough

If you play Journal, you're playing it for the lifegain coupled with the Spellbook effect- and even then, that's not a lot of decks. It's probably not a great option. Ivory Tower is literally only lifegain, and cards that do nothing but gain you life tend to not be worth their slots. It was a control staple in early Magic because creatures were a lot shittier. You might as well argue that Serra Angel is still an amazing beatstick in Commander just because it was the go-to finisher for The Deck. 1993 Magic and 2017 Commander are wholly different animals.

i wish blaxos was better. he's a cool card, but he's so slow that my meta would just eat him alive before he could do anything relevant.

>Dated as truisms go
In -standard-, most pros agree that a 1 mana spell that does nothing but gain you life would need to gain you about 13 life to be worth considering. All lifegain does is make you die slightly later.

or make it a cheap flasher in exchange for that horrendous cost

meanwhile Ezuri & Meren get XP counters out the ass every turn for just playing a goddamn From Beyond/Awakening Zone

i built a dedicated stasis edh deck. serra angel was pretty good in that :^)

you have to lock out artifice right away or you'll get murdered

After having multiple people rite of replication doomwake giant.

I have stopped running it.

Meren, at the very least, really needed to say 'nontoken'.

i'm fortunate (unfortunate?) enough to not have any blue at all in my playgroup, so it's an arms race between the stax decks trying to get a lock and the green decks trying to shit out kozilek with haste

>Kicked Rite on your Doomwake Giant
>All your creatures get -25/-25
WEW LADS

>Serra Angel is still an amazing beatstick
shes still surprisingly efficient
the myriad version is insane in stax decks
yeah sure Archangel Avacyn and Herald of the Host are strictly better but the idea of a 5 mana 4/4 flying vig beater isnt super shitty

Eh, if it was kicked then they just payed 9 mana for a board wipe. Your colors are better at doing that and I imagine they wouldn't get as much value from it in the long run compared to you.

>tfw you resolve Replenish with Doomwake and 7 other enchantments in the GY

>Kicked Rite
You rang?

>The myriad version is insane in stax decks
To be fair, a stax deck could beat all three opponents to death with Squire once the lock is out.

And if your argument is "That card is still great, because this version that does triple the damage each combat is playable in a very specificly narrow archetype", your argument is flawed. Yes, Serra is still efficient as a 4/4 vigilant flier for 5. The problem is, that's just outclassed by better things nowadays. Like Ivory Tower.

I guess ill need to take a good look at my list. Atm its a toss up between Mikaeus, Vamp, and Coup.
I personally dont run Demonic Tutor for religous reasons.