ITT we think of non-flashy subtle magic spells

> Sleep: The caster puts a specific target to sleep with a flick of his wrist, more powerful casters are able to ensorcell multiple targets with this spell. Targets are asleep anywhere from a moment to several days, depending on their willpower and the intent of the caster.

Other urls found in this thread:

timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/the_letters_of_j.rrtolkien.pdf
aufbix.org/~bolek/download/hobbit.pdf
bbs.pku.edu.cn/attach/b4/7f/b47f4b87ffc15956/Lord of the Rings - The Return of The King.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Trick: The caster produces any item he is carrying on his person from his sleeve, even if it wouldn't fit normally.

Anything that gives you extrasensory perception, i.e. most magic in mythology.

> Slick: The caster targets a section of the ground, for several minutes after the spell is cast, anyone walking on that section of ground will be unable to gain traction with their feet.

>Power Word: Death
>The caster must be close enough to the target to whisper into their ear. If the target is capable of hearing the terrible phrase being uttered, they die. It is said part of the phrase is the target's true name, thus the spell will not affect anyone else, even if eavesdropped and repeated.

>False Curse: The caster makes a grandiose motion and speaks with a deep tone. The target feels a sudden chill, but suffers no ill effects.

>Repair: The caster uses this spell in conjunction with a fragment of an item. When used, the fragment of the item will attract the original parts to make the item whole again.

>Dim: the caster makes a gesture such as clapping or sweeping a cloak and all sources of light in the vicinity are either dimmed or exstingused so long as they remain

Best subtle magic isn't 'spells', it's enhanced characteristics and craft. Like all the Good Guy Magic in middle earth.

>I haven't actually read Tolkien, but I'm going to talk about it anyway and nobody can stop me!

I agree with you on principle, but I'm sorry to tell you your interpretation of Tolkien magic is entirely false.

>wizard uses this on flat ground to great a slip and slide for local children

Geas spells are pretty neat, used a lot in Celtic myths

Give me a single example to the contrary that is used by any goos character lesser than a valar.

Do note that Gandalf's smoke and brimstone are literally fireworks.

Witch king of Angmar shattered gates of Minas-Tirith with a spell.

Granted he was a nazgul(still lesser than valar) at that time, but in life he was a human.

Despite the typo, I said good.

Not talking about bad guy magic here.

Didn't Gandalf throw flaming seeds at some goblins at some point? Fireworks still hardly fit your definition.

He lit acorns on fire and started throwing them.

They were funny coloured but didn't actually do anything unusual or magical.

In the movie Arwen caused a river to surge and sweep away the pursuing ringwraiths. Don't have my book on hand but I think it was Elrond there?

In the hobbit Gandalf lit the pine cones on fire from nothing.

Vague, sorry.

Still basic level pyromancy that doesn't fit your categories.

It was both Elrond and Gandalf who did the river shit in the books; Elves speaking to and compelling nature is literally just that; charismatic influencing. It's how they taught the trees to speak.

The pine cones were ambigious, gandalf pulls them down and sets them alight and the fire is weird coloured. Considering his general theming and skillset up until then I put that down to his firework substances.

>Give me a single example to the contrary that is used by any goos character lesser than a valar.
Gandalf either sealing the door at the Chamber of Mazarbul, or breaking the bridge when facing the Balrog. When he is trying to open the door to Moria to begin with, he even says "I once knew every SPELL for this purpose in the tongues of men and elves and orcs"

Also, burning the wood without a spark or conventional flame up on Caradhras.

Any time any Good Guy reads someone's minds or the wills of something far-off, like Denethor when he interrogates Pippin.

How invocation of the name of Elbereth, recited by both Gildor and Frodo, can drive away and even hurt Nazgul.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few more rattling around if I think about it.

Actually, one more. When Isildur curses the men under the mountains to whatever undeath it is that they're cursed to, and Aragorn's releasing them from their curse.

If we're counting the Hobbit as well, I'd like to add in whatever unnamed spells the dwarves use to conceal the treasure they take from the three trolls but are unable to carry with them.

Gandalf's magic consists of knowledge, charisma, contacts and fireworks and related alchemical craft. Every time he does anything that seems like 'pyromancy' it's either exceedingly small-scale, or accompanied by a display of smoke, colours and sulphur - he's just using gunpowder and related chemicals.

The other two are literally examples of exceptional attributes - perception and well-crafted poetry.

There's a reason that elves consider the Hobbits' questions as to magic to be unusual, as far as they are concerned magic is essentially non-existant and they are simply practising a craft to a high standard. It's one of the biggest themes in the whole setting.

He has the ring of fire from Ciridan, thats why his fire is odd.

> Flicker: With an incongruous gesture, the caster summons a few white-hot sparks, useful for starting fires or harmlessly burning a reckless companion, but not much else.

Isildur wasn't casting a spell or anything along those lines, that is simply how vows and debts function in the folkloric setting of arda.

That was the most ambigious thing in the whole book, can't really say either way.

the real magic is your autistic faggotry

I hadn't even considered the ring actually, that would make a lot of sense.

So in that case it again comes back to exceptional craft.

You're capable of such butthurt that it would be considered magical to hobbits.

>Gandalf's magic consists of knowledge, charisma, contacts and fireworks and related alchemical craft. Every time he does anything that seems like 'pyromancy' it's either exceedingly small-scale, or accompanied by a display of smoke, colours and sulphur - he's just using gunpowder and related chemicals.
Ok, so explain how you can use that to open and shut doors, which we see him do on one occasion and almost do on another before figuring out the password. That's before we have a super MASSIVE [citation needed] in the form of what we DO see Gandalf's pyrotechnics do reach far, far beyond what it is ever earthly capable of with gunpowder and prestidigitation, like make a "firework" dragon fly around

>The other two are literally examples of exceptional attributes - perception and well-crafted poetry.
Reading minds is not conventional perception. Shouting "Elbereth" in a one word battlecry, like Frodo on Weathertop, is not poetry.

>There's a reason that elves consider the Hobbits' questions as to magic to be unusual, as far as they are concerned magic is essentially non-existant and they are simply practising a craft to a high standard. It's one of the biggest themes in the whole setting.
Please stop talking out of your ass.
timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/the_letters_of_j.rrtolkien.pdf Skip to letter 155 on page 215 of the PDF.

>Isildur wasn't casting a spell or anything along those lines, that is simply how vows and debts function in the folkloric setting of arda.
No, it isn't. Other people's unfulfilled vows, like Thrain's vow of vengeance, don't keep people alive beyond death to be called up to fight.

>That was the most ambigious thing in the whole book, can't really say either way.
It isn't ambiguous at all, you fucking liar.

aufbix.org/~bolek/download/hobbit.pdf
Page 20.

>Then they brought up their ponies, and carried away the pots of gold, and buried them very secretly not far from the track by the river, putting a great many spells over them, just in case they ever had the-chance to come back and recover them.

Prove it comes from the ring and not his other skillsets. Remember, we see him use the pinecones and his other explosions quite offensively, whereas Elrond states that the Three aren't useful as weapons.

>Spergery: the caster turns comfy thread into Tolkien autism contest with a single post.

The door is the magical part of the equation, having been crafted to 'magical' standards by the dwarves.

Gandalf isn't just good at fireworks, Gandalf is a demidemigod who's devoted a large part of who he is and his many centuries of age to perfecting his craft. Gandalf is the best fucking firework guy in middle earth, he can make a fucking dragon.

It's Sam who recites the poetry to my knowledge, Frodo just straight invokes Elbereth name and it spooks them because they're fucking wraiths.

Also that letter literally explicitly says at the end that 'explicit' magic is solely a property of the divine and all other magic (the example being aragorn's healing) is simply applied skill.

The oath was taken in the name of Eru, so it's p clearly divine. I know what the book says, it simply says spells to keep it hidden; that's very ambiguous as it doesnt even give their origin.

>has a literal ring of fire
>sets things on fire
>prove he used the ring to do it
thinking_face

>The door is the magical part of the equation, having been crafted to 'magical' standards by the dwarves.
No, it isn't. Gandalf's claim that he can do every spell in the tongue of Elves, Men, and Orcs is.

>Gandalf isn't just good at fireworks, Gandalf is a demidemigod who's devoted a large part of who he is and his many centuries of age to perfecting his craft. Gandalf is the best fucking firework guy in middle earth, he can make a fucking dragon.
You're arguing from your conclusion here. You have absolutely nothing to support this, that Gandalf's fireworks ability is innate and not a learned spell, other than your assertion at the beginning that all of his powers work such.

>It's Sam who recites the poetry to my knowledge, Frodo just straight invokes Elbereth name and it spooks them because they're fucking wraiths.
You really can't read. I fucking explicitly stated in my first post "Like Frodo at Weathertop". I.E., NOT poetry. I.E., speaking a special word and achieving an effect, also known as a "spell".

>Also that letter literally explicitly says at the end that 'explicit' magic is solely a property of the divine and all other magic (the example being aragorn's healing) is simply applied skill.
That is not what it says at all. He talks about the distinction between magia and goetia, and how both sides use both, albeit differently and with different ends in mind. He even mentions, explicitly, that Gandalf's lighting of a wet faggot (Caradhras) is an effect of "magia". His distinction is not between "spell" and "craft", but between illusion imitating reality and magical effect actually affecting reality.

>The oath was taken in the name of Eru, so it's p clearly divine
There is no mention of that in the books. bbs.pku.edu.cn/attach/b4/7f/b47f4b87ffc15956/Lord of the Rings - The Return of The King.pdf page 24. All it says is that the "King of the Mountains swore allegiance to him in the beginning of the realm of Gondor. But when Sauron returned and grew in might again, Isildur summoned the men of the mountains to fulfil their oath, and they would not: for they had worshiped Sauron in the dark years."

>I know what the book says, it simply says spells to keep it hidden;
Which, to you, aren't spells because there are no spells, and no amount of text is going to convince you otherwise, is it?

>Has a ring of fire
>Sets things on fire
>It must be the ring that does it
>Saruman and Sauron don't have rings of fire
>They manage to set things on fire
>CLEARLY, IT ISN'T MAGIC! THEY'RE REACHING OUT AND USING GANDALF'S RING TO BURN ENTS AND MAKE WEIRD FIRES OUTSIDE THE WALLS OF MINAS TIRITH! THERE ARE NO SPELLS! MY MOTHER AND FATHER WERE BROTHER AND SISTER!

Doesn't Gandalf transform into a giant to fight some magic wolves at some point?

On topic of Gandalf I thinkh that he drove away nazguls with some kind of light beam I'm certain it was in a film and nearly 100% sure it was in the book.

Producing light beam that goes up and is capable of scaring ring wraiths out of nothing is magic for sure

>Only once, in the entire history of witchery on the Ramtops, had a thief broken into a witch's cottage. The witch concerned visited the most terrible punishment on him.
She did nothing, although sometimes when she saw him in the village she'd smile in a faint, puzzled way. After three weeks of this the suspense was too much for him and he took his own life; in fact he took it all the way across the continent, where he became a reformed character and never went home again.

It's a damned shame, this thread had potential to.