Story vent thread:

Post ideas for books or campaigns you just want to get out of your head or tell everyone about.

In the name of courtesy, comment on one for every post you make.

Example: Four friends get into a car accident, and in a vision are approached by the Goddess of Magic, who wants them to go to generic fantasyland and kill the Dark Lord. After spending two years in fantasyland training for their journey and using what modern principles of science they know to get rich, they journey to the BBEG's dark tower, force him to flee, but fail to kill him. Instead of pursuing him, they decide to rule in his place as benevolent dictators of the former Dark Lord's lands. And that's where the real fun begins.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hYb-_O0UA64?t=1h34m28s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A princess gets arranged to marry a prince of the neighboring kingdom, neither side is at all happy of this, but against all expectations fall madly in love. But then they discover their families are actually a menagerie of evil overlords, assassins, sorcerers, and other bad guys, plotting to release a powerful demon and conquer all world - and the lynchpin of their plan is that these two children marry.
Before they can have their happy ending, they must make secret plots and gather up allies in order to defeat their families.

>BBEG
ugh

But seriously, I hope that's not going to end into a twist where they were actually deliriously bleeding out in the wreckage of their car all along. That'd be lame.
Other than that, sounds good. Sounds like they'd eventually become bad guys, which is the sort of a thing that usually only happens to lone heroes - having four guys go through the same thing at once would be interesting to see.

>>BBEG
>ugh
whats with this anti-bbeg thing?

Some guy started it and now it's a meme.

There's this faggot that keeps posting it in every thread even mentioning the term, then pretend he is about 2-3 more people. The one day people instead of humoring or reporting him, mocked him. And now it's the hip nu maymay.

WoD Mortals, the entire party is a group of childhood friends that reunite and remember the good ol' times. They also recall the time they all were lost in the woods for a day and how worried everyone was back home. The do notice that one of 'em is a tad different, but can't really pinpoint how exactly. Later the week they start feeling odd. Their personalities change drastically, they find themselves compulsively going out and doing or trying stuff they were rarely/never interested in or didn't really pursue while at the same time they feel like something very specific is out there coming for them. The twist is that they are all fetches and the original abducted children just escaped from the True Fey and coming to take their place back.

Reminds me of Runaways, Wanted, and to a lesser degree Game of Thrones. What's its tone? Comedy? Drama?

It seems like a really good short story idea.

>What's its tone? Comedy? Drama?

More a comedy, I think: I can't really imagine the whole thing under any other context than Discworld, lampooning the whole high fantasy genre in general, but with the occasional sprinkles of seriousness added in as well.

I can't imagine how anyone could take Wanted seriously either.

A world resembling Earth after a shittiest catastrophe could ever happen. Gray sky, megapolises in ruins, and all this is somewhat grotesque. Creepy monsters ravage the survivors, but there are safe havens. Magic awakened and it's far more gruesome and bizarre than humanity ever imagined. Rarely, magical creatures are not hostile to humans. Most popular examples are Traders and Coffineers. Traders are masked spirits who trade with people for strange things like "I'll get to hear the cry of your firstborn and you'll get the gun". They are actually cats. But big and magical. And still carnivourous, and they worship strange god. Coffineers are guys who ensure working subway stations, electricity lines, mapping, repairing buildings and all other shit like this. They look like cloaked figures with coffin chained to their back and constantly do something with environment.
Most powerful human beacon of order is Ordo Verus Granda. Ordo is meritocratic magocracy in which usual people are treated like slaves and experiment material. It's someething between corporation and mafia, actually. They have nobility, divided in families, each family has their Magus Primaris and family head. If heads cant settle their dispute over power sources, contracts and etc by mere diplomacy, First Mages meet each other in non-lethal duel. This rule was made to ensure unity of Ordo.
1\2
It would be interesting to see Goddess giving shitton of power to Overlord and to see how he then becomes sort of main hero, gets closer to the actual meaning of "good" than four friends. And if at the end this dark lord overthrows them, becoming strict, strong-willed and almost tyrannical but actually good governor, then story is nice. If it was Goddess plan all along it's even better.

Here's a short story idea I've been throwing around for a while, Set in a Isekai-styled "generic western fantasy world" where a prophesied hero has been foretold to come from another world and defeat the dark lord. In preparation, a great wizard has spent much of his life searching for the proper companions for the hero, training some of them since childhood and planning out the journey he will take with the hero to make the strong enough to defeat the dark lord. The dark lord has been waiting for it with relish, pillaging the land to goad this hero into challenging him and finally having a battle worthy of legend. Young adventurers have built their whole lives around joining the hero and saving the world.
And then on the appointed day of the summoning, the hero never shows up.

I like it! I would also go with the various evil relatives being reminiscent of a kind of Addams Family dynamic, where they're nightmarish to everyone, but remarkably pleasant within their own paradigm. One gets home from a day of razing villages and burning people at the stake, takes off his evil overlord's cloak, and sits down for a nice dinner. His dark lady, who has been refitting the torture chambers for increased occupancy, asks him how his day has been, and they chat amicably over a dinner of freshly grilled angel flesh seasoned with orphan tears.

I'd play the hell out of that. Sounds like you'd need a group who'd put a whole lot of effort on building good backstories to fuck with though.

A series of strangers with psychological issues are all pulled into a strange Dream City where they discover they have powers relating in some manner to their psychosis, and must or be consumed by their inner demons, and the people who have been overtaken by their own.

I have this particular location called the Safehouse, which was born from an agoraphobic person. The house has a safe door front, and is totally impenetrable and very comfortable, but cannot be opened from the inside. It's a total trap.

I'd run it with Don't Rest Your Head.

The hero not showing up could be interesting. Could express the fault in believing too hard in expectation and relying on others, or you could go with a "you were the hero all along" thing.

A world where the big End of the World battle happened, killed all the gods, shattered the planes...and then the earth survived. What do you do when Heaven has died?

>And then on the appointed day of the summoning, the hero never shows up.
Better than SOME alternatives. Like Thomas Covenant.

Spoilers for the best book ever but: He basically shows up, claims everything and everyone is a hallucination brought upon by his leprosy and madness, and then rapes a girl due to being cured of said leprosy and having his mind overwhelmed by his sudden virility.

The whole idea I had for it was basically as an exploration of people building their whole lives around a person or event that never arrives. It's part me messing around with a lot of fantasy relying on prophecy so much, and part me thinking about what it would be like for a character defined as "supporting cast member/possible love interest" to exist without the protagonist they were designed to support.

A major part of this was that the Dark Lord became the dark lord entirely because of this prophecy, being someone who always wanted a bigger challenge and a stronger opponent. He's ruined nations and done horrible things, all so that one day he can finally get the fight he's been waiting so long for, so that his life can finally have meaning in the history of the world. And then it just...doesn't happen. And everything he's worked towards for years and years, all the horrible things he's done for his dream mean nothing.

Very much inspired from this, if I'm being honest. youtu.be/hYb-_O0UA64?t=1h34m28s

Also Thomas Covenant sounds fantastic.

Having played Don't Rest Your Head only once before, all I can say is that sounds like a goddamn nightmare in the best possible way.

>Also Thomas Covenant sounds fantastic
It really fucking is. At least the first two trilogies. The third one was....okay. I cannot recommend the first two highly enough though.

Kill Six Billion Demons meets Spelljammer. Corrupt God kings rule whole worlds while others burned from their words or are drained of resources. Fiends, namely Devils and their kin have become one of the more prolific criminal elements in the known spheres. Angels too what they must, some trying to uphold the laws of dead gods, while others become hermits, turn mercenary, or seek to purge world's of wickedness and sin.

>What do you do when Heaven has died?
Usurp empty heaven and rend power from God corpses.

>REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

I'm entirely down for this. K6BD is already pretty great, but throw in spelljammer esque space shenanigans and I'm all over it.

Been spending much of my time generating a starting sphere map. Instead of the Phlogiston between spheres I have something at once like both the Astral Plane and Limbo, but also like the Void in K6BD. Gith prey on the corpses of gods which twists them and imbue them with unnatural life and power.

>Kill Six Billion Demons
I actually ran a game of this once using Pathfinder (I know, I know). When you let a couple of powergamers use ANY BOOK they want it starts being real K6BD quickly.

They ended up destroying most of one interplanetary criminal ring, got bribed into working FOR that same ring, and then wiped out their old boss in a hostile takeover of sorts.

Last thing they did was set up a fancy restaurant as their front and found out the hard way how mean the Golden Dragon's tax laws are, as well as how much WORSE the local Goblin Union acted towards the scabs they hired as wait staff.

Pic related is a map I made to better visualize the width of the Red City.

That's an awesome map. I'm trying to more capture the essence of K6BD rather than set it in the comic. I've got Demiurges, rivals to one another and rulers all. I've got organizations like the Guilds mixed with Trade Organizations, Military Brotherhoods, and Rogue Galleries of Spelljammer. I have a prevalent religion that professes the gods are dead, the Demiurges are their inheritors, cults still worship some and their names are still honored. Trade of Materials, Wealth, Goods, and Flesh occurs across the conquered spheres. Trying to capture the similar aesthetic too in the descriptions of clothing and locations. Some assistance could be used there actually.

>A series of strangers with psychological issues are all pulled into a strange Dream City where they discover they have powers relating in some manner to their psychosis, and must or be consumed by their inner demons, and the people who have been overtaken by their own.

>I have this particular location called the Safehouse, which was born from an agoraphobic person. The house has a safe door front, and is totally impenetrable and very comfortable, but cannot be opened from the inside. It's a total trap.

That actually sounds really awesome! But how would you get out of the safe house? Backdoor, break down the walls, or understand/overcome the concept of agoraphobia?

>understand/overcome the concept of agoraphobia?

Most likely this. Maybe help from outside.

Make the entire world as cut throat as you possibly can.

One of my players wanted to buy something like a Bag of Holding, so I had him make the usual checks. He finds a shady looking shop selling oddities. The place seemed legit though, so he went in, and the entire shop turned out to be a massive trapdoor trap. He leaped out of the way just in time before the entire shop fell away into another Bag of Holding, which the shopkeep grabbed up and took off with, never to be seen again.

When the player realized his character only survived instant character death/slavery by a single Reflex Save he started hyperventilating, and then never questioned the setting again. It didn't matter that he'd made an unkillable 200+ dmg per round killing machine. One bad save would still FUCK him if it was the wrong one, and he still almost died later when he accidently let another Gun-Fu Artist take a shot at him.

So, be mean. Be ruthless.