EDH/Commander General

Free Big G edition

Previously: >Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
If you could include any ONE banned card in a single one of your decks, which card would it be and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?page=0&action=advanced&text= ![{W}] ![{U}] ![{R}] ![{G}]&color= @(|[B]|[C])&power= <=[1]
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> include any ONE banned card
Pic related. Not even ban-worthy compared to some of the degenerate shit out there.

>Thread Question
Can I have my freaking Leovold in the 99 back? Vial Smasher + Kydele miss their Green Sun Zenith target.

Also, anyone have any experience with this bitch? She looks fun for some reason.

Braids. Mazirek just needs some more friends.

Gifts Ungiven would be pretty neat, though I'd probably just go with Karakas and be a little shit

>Thread Question
Balance because I'm a cunt

also, post your new lewt dudes

snek goddess best goddess.

She can be a fun political commander, also a unique g/b rock general that can be built as enchantress instead for more casual groups.

I like her aesthetic, but she's probably the worst god for EDH. I'm not sure why they didn't just make her always give you the snake. Then she'd be okay as graveyard hate/snek tribal.

She seems like a shittier Night Soil on a big indestructible sometimes-body idk

eidolon of blossoms makes her grind out some extra value

Why is this banned but buried alive fine?

Because Gifts can find noncreatures. Just ff the top of my head from few years ago, Unburial Rites and Elesh Norn.

How do you build this dude? Shadowborn Apostles and a bunch of Demons seems like the most obvious route, but I'm a dirty hipster and like offbeat commanders with even more offbeat building approaches

More importantly how the fuck is Intuition unbanned while the weaker card Gifts is banned.

shadow-born apostle is plebian tier for shirei. Real men pack it with shit like abyssal gatekeeper, marsh flitter, and triskelion. Just suit him up with some greaves and your good to go.

>2017
>EDH community still adhering to Sheldon manchild's banlist

That sounds fucking tight, more so than Shadowborn. Do you have a list?

If you understand Sheldon's wacko logic it makes sense - it's a little bit harder to construct instant death intuition piles in a "casual :D" deck than instant death gifts piles.

I don't have a list unfortunately, but EDHrec s a good place to find similar cards to those. Just ignore the demons and apostles, there are plenty of prime shirei targets.

>he uses """house rules""""

>Intuition's the 3 card Bruna super suit lmao

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?page=0&action=advanced&text= ![{W}] ![{U}] ![{R}] ![{G}]&color= @(|[B]|[C])&power= <=[1]

should be 6 pages total on gatherer for valid targets

Thanks dawg, gonna fuck around with this. What's a good ratio of creatures to outlets, along with the standard mono-B spells?

if this guy dies with at least 2 -1/-1 counters, you'll get him back

I would try to hit at the minimum 30 creatures, that a number I've always found good for creature-centered decks. Also, things like viscera seer and carrion feeder are auto-includes for obvious reasons.

erm, sorry needs 3 or more

It's just power, so it would need three or more.

I want to build an edh with this as one of the main key cards. Thing is, i don't know if i should do it mono green or make it a dual color cause splashing green with another color gives me access to other stuff. And i don't know who to choose as the commander. I'm open to all suggestions that you guys throw at me.

This with Mazirek is basically an Overrun effect.

what do you mean by making it one of your key cards? it's a great mass removal, but it's not like it's a win condition.

Angry omnath or Gitrog is obvious and boring choices

I used Bottle Gnomes, Thoughtpicker Witch, Royal Assassin, Black Cat, the myr that shocks on death, Chimney Imp, mainly 1 power creatures with ETB or death triggers and some sac outlets.

>Gitrog
That's an awful idea.

I was so fucking mad when thst was apoiled

PSA, Gitrog will only draw you one card off of it.

Oh shit, that's true
Misread it

Gifts Ungiven is the better card in edh due to the singleton rules

Intuition says search for 3 cards, which means, as long as you have at least 3 cards in your library, you have to pick 3 cards, and since its singleton, your opponent gets to give you the card you least want in your hand. Intuition is still a good card, but it's hampered greatly.

Gifts Ungiven on the other hand, searches for 4 cards "with different names", this was intended to make it a more balanced version of intuition, because intuition was being used as a demonic tutor by searching for 3 copies of the same card, but in edh, this drawback is not a drawback at all, and the fact that it asks for different names means you can fail to find, so gifts Ungiven works as a double entomb if you need that mode, as well as being insane effective card advantage if you use the 4 card mode

mazirek looks interesting and hilarious now that you mention it like that
Lots of people here heavily use nonbasic lands and artifacts. They're going to love this card.
Yeah i thought about them but they didnt really get my attention.

And yet a four mana double Entomb is still worse than three mana win the game.

I want to make an Erebos Mono-black deck. I have my high-powered decks, I just want this one to be fun. Suggestions on best way to build?

I don't typically play black but I'm doing the 32 deck challenge and came into an Erebos so I suppose it's time.

MonoB but bad isn't going to be most people's idea of fun but whatever.

I want to make a deck for multiplayer that is just fun for everyone, what are some decent commanders if I want something like that?

>If you could include any ONE banned card in a single one of your decks, which card would it be and why?
>not wanting to time warp in the fatty of your choosing

>Guys, how do I do casual monoB?
>Any deck that isn't mine isn't anyone's idea of fun.

Dunno how exactly to make Erebos fun since mono-black usually wins through enough mana to draw cards and kill the table with Exsanguinate/Gray/Dark Mike/etc. Your best bet to make it 'fun' is to make it a reanimator list of some sort, or perhaps a "deal with the devil" theme with cards like Hunted Horror or something.

Idk. Erebos is cool and all, but he doesn't really scream innovation.

the gay greeks might be good, you've actually got a lot of freedom with them
then there are certain edh and conspiracy specific cards designed for fun multiplayer interactions to include
since the homos are all colors but black they include most of them
then you can run some cards to help keep anyone from getting too far ahead, like boardwipes and counterspells

A bit more on the casual end, but I generally like the idea of using 1/1 Deathtouch Snakes as bargaining chips in Multiplayer.

Especially considering how difficult Theros gods (black ones in particular) are to remove.

>Thread Question
Sylvan Primordial. That card is actually the most broken thing on the banlist (and it's hole has not been filled til this very day).

Name a single intuition pile that wins the game, brownie points of gifts Ungiven wouldn't have won the game as well

Should I play Ezuri, Claw of Progress or Kraj?

>playing banned cards
i can do enough damage with unbanned cards as it is but I guess it would have to be worldfire. That and vedalken orerry look like too much fun in monored.

Ezuri if you want to win with Sages Hours or Voltron anything not named Ezuri

Kraj if you want to combo off. Be warned though: Kraj needs some investment to be viable, but its worth it.

>run mostly basics
>copy spell with raidmother, reverberate, etc
>basically play the spell for free while leaving everyone else high and dry

this is fantastic for my land ramp/hate deck. it sucks for valakut combo, but its worth it to choke or even dry up the players that run very few basics.

Considering that some rules are shit and the banlist is even worse, why wouldn't you if it's keeping you from having fun?

>If you could include any ONE banned card in a single one of your decks, which card would it be and why?
gift ungiven probably, obviously combo

Valakut combo is my main wincon in Wort. Extremely annoying to set up but fucking fantastic when it works

Fireballs are usually more consistent though

These are fun.

It's another episode of "REEE blood moon is unfun take it out!!!"

>muh 1000$ 5c landbase nooo

I always make sure to run at least 9 basics when shit like this happens

>Get invited by friend to "casual" EDH at FLGS
>Cautiously bring my Gitrog combo deck in case its actually not so casual
>first round is a 4 man pod against 2 stax decks and some janky mono red deck
>stax players are apparently best friends and do nothing but support each other and lose as result but not too salty about it
>next pod get paired with friend against a firemind deck and samut
>firemind starts off with masterpiece sol ring and mana crypt into metalworker
>tutors for rings of brightheart
>draws his deck turn 3 and uses infinite mana to kill everyone with red sun zenith
>find out later there was prizes of whopping 3 booster packs of Amonkhet

What is it about prizes that brings out the worse in people?

Unban Balance already so it doesn't hit artifacts, its not like white doesn't have the most fuck artifacts already

>Playing EDH for prizes
their mistake was here user.

It eats hands. That's why they can't let it back in play.

>Buy ONE pack of Eternal Masters
>Get this

Why the fuck would they even put this in the set.

The thing is it didn't cost anything and only like 30 people. I was going to invite some people to our group but after seeing their decks I doubt our meta would want to play anymore even though those decks are all probably just for events or some shit I highly doubt it considering how full of hot air competitive players are

yes they are

So how fucked is duel commander now?

i need to throw in some of the better versions of fireball, like lava burst and demonfire for uncounterable finishers.

Fun is Craw Wurm. Craw Wurm is fun.

So I'm trying to turn my Prossh deck into something else that's not as degenerate but still powerful. Any suggestions?

That depends pretty heavily on the deck, but Rites makes a lot of piles.

Eternal scourge is an infinite source of sneks
Heavy on the mana tho

tappedout is saying my command tower and my 2015 commander is illegal, anyone else getting that?

So I'm playing duels with a friend and I want to build commander decks for both of us. He picked Omnath and I'm between Shu Yun or Alesha, which one is more fun?

Alesha, although depending on your tastes can get a little repetitive.

How does she plays? Reanimator, mostly?

Prossh has like 3 tiers of degeneracy:
Tier 1: Food Chain
Tier 2: Purphoros
Tier 3: Grave Pact/Dictate of Erebos

Pick what you don't want to include and go from there.

More like rec/sac decks or aristocrats. She can be pretty varied though. I'd recommend good self-discard like faithless looting alongside cards with abusive ETBs like angel of invention and cloudgoat ranger.
Of course, sacrifice outlets are a no-brainer, so consider things like sadistic hypnotist for the value.

>Nilbog backwards
>Is GOBLIN!

Worldfire. Because mono-red chaos.

Who is the most fun commander for playing mono green and spamming huge fatties?

There's a lot of combo you can get in.
>Alesha + Master of Cruelties
>Anafenza + Redcap
>Kiki-Jiki + Felidar Guardian
>Karmic Guide + Fiend Hunter/Reveilark + Goblin Bombardment
>Nim Deathmantle + Siege Gang Commander + Ashnod's Altar + Goblin Bombardment/Blood Artist

It ends up being a lot of combo nonsense pretty easily, because there are tons of combos that can be assembled from cards that are good individually in the deck from 2 cards to 4 or 5 cards.

Yeva. Get a Seedborn Muse in there and you're putting out shit every damn turn.

Weird. Report it to a admin or mod or troubleshooting thread on the site maybe?

I think WBG is the way to go. You could follow this up with a Faiths Reward or Rise of the Dark Realms for instance. Also having an Avenger of Zendikar out when you cast is cool. Bitter Ordeal would be really nasty too. You could even go for an enchantment theme and use Replenish (could have a bunch enchantment creatures in there). As for generals you have cool options in those colors, a reanimation focused general could be cool, I'm also quite partial to Ghave. Also you could cast Ghostway/Eerie Interlude before vitriol

You got choices man. Omnath, bank all your mana to cast bigger stuff, play mana doublers? Selvala, so that your fatties make mana for your fatties? You could try something a bit unique and go for Patron of the Orochi.

eeeehhhhhhhh?!

wtf

Selvala, Omnath or Yisan

I made mine to abuse tokens. Each time one in sacrificed like 9 things go off. They can cause damage, make people sac, let you draw, make the opponent discard, and pump other creatures. It's the deck I find most fun. Powerful, but not an asshole.

>>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
>wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander
Nobody gives a shit about this format, do they?

Same here, just don't run altars or Food Chain/Earthcraft and it's fine, run Cryptholith Rite instead or Xenagos walker if you really want big mana.

What's your favorite cards that you've never seen anyone else play?

This guy right here.

It's a lot more fun than multiplayer.

Ignore this poster he sucks cocks for $5 a nut.

While it's shit, it's still better than Sheldon's banlist.

I run that in every deck.

This is a card that I love, and I don't know why.

love this guy with atraxa