>Metagame thoughts?
>Bans/Unbans?

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
>mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/15/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-51517

Other urls found in this thread:

mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/15/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-51517
mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/22/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-52217
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wicked-sweet-norin-sisters/
mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/modern
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-wur-37971#online
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-u-w-control-37169#online
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/15/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-51517

wrong link excuse the sloppiness

mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/22/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-52217

Currently playing this because Norin Sisters is a great T2 deck
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wicked-sweet-norin-sisters/
Fuck Tron still

Gryff's Boon seems better than battlerage in this deck. Battlerage may be better for trying to 1 hit your opponent with ajani's pridemate, but boon seems far better when you don't draw pridemate, and is still very useful when you do.

Might try and make room for both.
Having options is necessary.

undefeated with this on cockatrice lads, rate my shitty twin deck

>Playing?
Titanshift and blue moon.
>Brewing?
Trying to make jund pox-loam great again.
>Metagame thoughts?
Way too fast for my liking.
>Bans/Unbans?
Banning nothing is ideal, ban deaths shadow is a ban is needed. Urban preordain. Reprint counterspell.

Question for discussion, why did they ban git probe but keep become immense legal?

Become immense is just a pump spell

You sure?

Git probe promoted play they didn't like. It was best against interactive decks, letting all in decks like infect get an edge on decks that should beat them , while it was basically just street wraith against other uninteractive decks that infect should pray on. They had to ban something from infect (or at least felt they did) so they banned the card that pushed the format in the least interactive direction.

I can get behind this.

>Playing?
Living End - bashing face with $0.25 commons feels great :D

>Brewing?
Been trying to get into UW Control. Mostly just figuring out numbers at this point and testing before I bite the bullet.

>Metagame thoughts?
I haven't really played competitively in a while (hopefully will get to now with all the spicy Living End tech from AKH), so I can't really speak on this end.

>Bans/Unbans?
Bans: It seems like a cop out, but Death's Shadow, I guess. I haven't personally played against the deck (see above), but it seems like the deck has a sort of high percentage of in the meta. I would say Street Wraith cause it wouldn't outright kill Death's Shadow, but that sorta nerfs my deck in the process sooo...

Unbans: I would like to be able to play with Jace just for the potential to ult him in a game, but I realize he's super powerful. Dark Depths could maaaybe see an unban if we get some specific land hate similar to Wasteland/Ghost Quarter - I'd love to be able to brew with it in a KotR shell with Thespian's Stage and stuff.

>anime picture
>opinions on meta and bans are shit
>is a Ufag
Checks out

>ban death's shadow
>I've never played against it

>Playing?
Abzan

>Brewing?
A better Abzan build

>Metagame thoughts?
The metagame feels pretty weird right now

>Bans/Unbans?
Unban Twin or Jace or Mystic. One of the 3 at least

I'd like Shadow to be banned even though I don't think it's that good. I'd also like a Tron piece banned because I don't like it :^)

>Playing?
GWur saheeli evolution combo
>Brewing?
Looking for a graveyard hate creature to have in my sideboard. Yixlid Jailer seems like the best choice but if I draw it I can only cast it with birds. Might also get a Harsh Mentor if these coco combo decks stick around.
>Metagame thoughts?
It's nice.
>Bans/Unbans?
I'd like preordain to be unbanned when they inevitably ban something from storm.

Splinter Twin unban when?

(OP)

>Playing?
Gideon Martial Paragon exert deck (basically the intro deck with some additions from the packs and a bunch of general free cards my lgs gave me to help me for being new)
>Brewing
Gideon exert deck, started playing magic 2 days ago.
>Metagame thoughts?
No fucking idea, look above.
>Bans/Unbans?
Same.

Question: Sorry for derailing the thread, but I don't know if I should open a whole new thread for this or not. What is the difference of modern and standard. I know about the rotations/blocks/legal cards etc, but I also want to hear the opinions of you guys.

Which is more expensive in the short run and in the long run?

I can assume that modern has more variety due to having bigger card pool, is this true? Are there any must-go cards in modern where you see them in almost every deck that supports the color? Is it a minor phenomenon or to the point where it contradicts the whole "variety" thing?

what are your thoughts in general?
Thank you in advance.

Modern is everything going back to about 10th Edition. Standard is always just the last couple of sets. They both have more variety because there's a much bigger card pool in modern so there are more ways to build a deck and because standard gets new decks and the old ones change or leave every six months.

Modern decks cost a bunch upfront and then in theory are cheaper to maintain. When a new set drops there might only be a couple of cards you're interested for your decks. Standard has tons of relevant stuff coming in every time so you have to spend more to stay up to date.

The best thing to do is to go to your game store and play games with other people's real decks against their other real decks and see what kinds of decks you like.

>What is the difference of modern and standard
Speed. Only casting a single impactful spell in the first four turns of the game is a real possibility in standard, in modern doing so will lose you the game. The biggest criticism of modern is if you stumble in the first few turns you can lose the game before you even feel like you've begun playing. That's not to say games don't go long, I've had many 60 turn games in modern, but you can't simply wait for these turns to come. If your strategy requires the game to go long or reach a certain turn, you need to force the game to go long.
>Which is more expensive in the short run and in the long run?
Standard is more expensive in the long run than modern, and less expensive in the short term.
>Are there any must-go cards in modern where you see them in almost every deck that supports the color?
Here you can see the most played cards in modern mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/modern
Strong, versatile 1 cost cards often find themselves in many decks. You can click on some other formats and look at the top cards in those formats too.
>Is it a minor phenomenon or to the point where it contradicts the whole "variety" thing?
Card diversity can be lowered to a point without impacting deck diversity. If you look at the legacy page in that link you'll see 3 cards are present in the majority of decks, but since these cards don't strictly dictate the strategy you'll be playing, deck diversity remains decent.

Unban my boy DRS. He did nothing wrong.

>Unban the One Mana Planeswalker
Nice try, Delverfag, but I'm on to you.

I didn't realize I was that easy to read.

WotC really should print cards to make pic related viable.

All of those dumb linear CoCo decks really need a beating, especially now that their combo got even better with Vizier of Remedies.

>get kicked out of legacy
>come crying to modern

Nah it's still decent in Legacy.
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-wur-37971#online

All I'm saying is that 4CMC Wraths are just not good enough anymore, the creature powercreep is real.

And considering that WotC will never print something better than Wrath of God in Standard
ever again it makes sense to improve existing options instead.

I don't think you can unban dark depths. Modern rock depths is the grindiest brick shithouse of a deck and would become a dominating and frustrating force in the meta imo.

Some games it just goes depths urborg hexmage meme all over you and some games turn into liliana grind out with crucible to shit out marit lage every other turn or ghost quarter lock you

I've played against it in modern no ban list events and it's really good even in that format with no other banned cards.

lol@Dark Depths

They sacrifice 2 Lands and spent 2 mana, you pay 1 mana and draw a card.

I mean not that they always have it, but they usually main deck not of this world

Thank you both for your answers, I have a lot more clear image of those 2 formats now.

lol@Playing Blue

You gimp yourself by playing the worst color in the fornat and lose to just about everything.

But then you win and it feels even better than normal. Blue truly is the greatest.

Not the user you're replying to, but I'm a bluefag and blue is absolutely the worst color in modern
Feels bad man

>Blue's best spells are either banned in Modern or were never legal
>Wizards refuses to print things that are even close to being as good
>Counterspell can't even stop Abrupt Decay
If it weren't for Snapcaster blue would see no play.

But Cryptic is the best.

I love me some cryptic, but it's only really used in UW(x) control, Turns, Blue Moon, and Bring to Light Scapeshift.
Despite lack of demand and many reprintings, it's still $35 and I need a playset.
I'm assuming its price memory bs

It's partially price memory. Partially it's demand for a good and powerful card. Also, it's pretty good in Commander, so there's that. I still need 2, but I think I can wait on those a bit longer.

All of its modes are horridly overpriced and the only reason it sees play is that it's a tempo swing. It's NOT good enough on its own to justify playing blue, while Snapcaster at least is good enough to do so.

K Command also has overpriced modes. Is it shit too?

>brewing
>Modern

Get a load of this asshole.

Be spicy user. Be bold.

Best way(s) to steal packs?

Every top decks started as someone's wild idea.

What? They're not overpriced. If anything, any combination is incredibly fair and adequately priced. You're paying 4 mana for a 4 mana effect, and paying U instead of 1 for the added versatility of a modular spell.

They are obviously overpriced if you compare them to the likes of Fatal Push and Death's Shadow.

I wish dismiss was modern legal. I feel like there's a control deck that just needs a few extra copies of cryptic to break out and dismiss does a good impression of cryptic command. The bounce/tap modes have won me games but 80% of the time you just counter draw

Oh and I forgot Collected Company, 4 mana look at the top 6 of your library pick 2 cards and get up to 6 mana back.

99% of decks don't even play a full playset of Cryptic, I highly doubt that.

UW control plays the full 4. A fully reactive draw go style control deck doesn't really exist in modern (or didn't until UW recently showed up) and three color decks cannot afford to run 4 because of the mana requirements. 8 cryptics could be the gas UB or possibly even mono-u is looking for to not be kitchen table tier dogshit. I'd be willing to brew it and give it a try at least.

Most lists play 2 or 3.

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-u-w-control-37169#online

Huh. Lists i looked at in the past ran 4, but all the recent ones I see are on 3. I play 4 and I think it's the best card in the deck.

I still think dismiss be a good addition.

If you think that 4cryptic+Dismiss are a good idea you must be playing in a pretty strange meta without fast aggro or combo.

Fatal Push is fair. 1 mana conditional removal is par for the course.
Death's Shadow requires you to be basically dead before becoming good. And even then, it's just a beater.
CoCo is an unfair card. You pay 4 mana to get 6 mana worth of cards.

So, one fair card, one fair-unfair card depending on how you play it, and one unfair card.

You also have no power over what you hit with coco, so it could be 6 mana, it could be zero.

Most of the time, it's 3 or 4

>most of the time

But I'll amend my statement. Unfair to Fair depending on what you hit.

CoCo is only busted because of all the combos you can turn over. If you had to actually attack with your creatures to win the game it'd be strong but fine.

I play in a meta where people love grindy control and midrange decks, or value decks with combos built in like kiki-chord. And even against the few aggro players it's not hopeless because you just side out what you don't need and bring in more removal. I usually lose g1 to the burn player but blessed alliance and timely reinforcements just win the match on their own game 2 and 3.

Also like 3 tron players at my shop but I somehow manage to keep missing them. I've been really interested to see how the spreading seas/ghost quarter package works against them but it just hasn't happened yet.

hey how would I get started in modern? Do I just find a decklist I like and buy that?

>Playing?
Affinity, of course.
>Brewing?
Ayy lmao
>Metagame thoughts?
Can't really complain
>Bans/Unbans?
None that I particularly want unless you let me go to magical Christmas land. Wotc might ban something from Storm, because Storm.

Yeah, just netdeck like most people do in this format.
Rogue decks can do okay but most of the time (like with mine) they can struggle a bit.

Don't buy it immediately, proxy it out or play it online a shit ton
Try to play against as many decks as you can, playtesting to see if you like a deck, but only going against a shitty matchup usually leads you to not liking the deck.

I would recommend affinity or burn since they're both fairly easy to pilot and that will allow you to focus on learning your opponents decks more, and then you can start broadening your horizons and fully drop into modern

Pretty much. Make sure to research and playtest the deck before buying it, so you understand what you are getting into and that you actually like it. Some decks sound neat on paper but get boring to a lot of people.

also, I assume if I'm just playing casually with a few friends then I can pretty much just do whatever feels fun? Also, is the modern master draft worth it? 30 bucks seems like a lot for a draft.

Affinity is actually a fairly complex deck to pilot. You can pick it up and win with god-draws, but there's a lot to think about otherwise.

How do you feel about Stake Sisters? Decent finisher or is swinging with huge Pridemates better?

I find affinity a bit like burn in the sense that anyone can pilot it, but not many can pilot it masterfully, you know?
I dunno, I've played affinity quite a bit and find it simple, but that's probably because I knew how it worked already, so it probably isn't the best thing to start on

>I assume if I'm just playing casually with a few friends then I can pretty much just do whatever feels fun?
If that's what your friends are doing too.
>Also, is the modern master draft worth it?
Financially? No.
Enjoyment-wise? Totally subjective.

Burn at the Stake is extremely susceptible to a Deflecting Palm so I really prefer to just hit in with big weenies like Serra/Ajani/Champion most of the time.
BaTS is also too high of a cost for me to care about it .

Masters drafts are always a bit more, but so worth it
Masters sets are so much fun to draft, legitimately some of the most fun I've had playing magic.
Don't expect to come out on top financially, but it's a blast

>anyone can pilot it, but not many can pilot it masterfully, you know
I would agree with that.
>I've played affinity quite a bit and find it simple
It depends on what you are comparing it to. I would say that there are plenty of Modern decks that are simpler.

>play vault skirge or etched champion
>equip cranial plating
>swing for lethal
>maybe hit them with galvanic blast
So complex.

>cycle cards
>cast living end
>swing for lethal

>crack fetches
>play discard
>cast death's shadow
>swing for lethal

>draw cards
>counter spells
>animate colonnade
>swing for lethal

Wew, it's almost like you can make any deck sound simple.

it's true for one of those 3 decks though

>windmill slam lightning bolts
>Get 7 mana. Play Karn.
>Ad Nauseam, accidentally your whole deck

We can do this all day, pal.

The point is that I can make them all sound equally simple, regardless of how complex they actually are to pilot.

interaction xD

To be fair you just named 2 very easy yo play decks and 1 mildly easy to play deck. The only "hard" thing about affinity is knowing what hands to mulligan and what your outs are when you have different lines of play.

Excited to play my new Faeries deck this weekend. I don't have my manlands, and whenever I goldfish, it's pretty noticeable how little reach I have without them.

Should I get UR Storm? I have most of the pieces from other decks, but is it likely to hit a ban?

Would you bother getting non-chinamen hierarchs if you just go to a small store's FNM to play?

Yes.

If you have the manabase you might as well try, it's the only really expensive thing in the deck

>still decent
pathetic

You should always try to support your lgs first and buy from there. If that's not viable for whatever reason, fakes would work.

I know. I'm slowly buying the fetches I need to go full bant spirits, but they don't have hierarchs or birds of paradise, so I might as well

Nice trips, but I still don't see this deck working all that well.

4 snaps seems like 1 too many.

Second, have you thought of what this deck would look like with moons main?

Never, wizards honestly doesnt realize banning it was wrong.

thanks for the help, you guys are pretty cool.

Need some help with my sideboard here before saturday since I'll be playing in GP Copenhagen.
the list is Eternal Skred, but i have a hard time getting the SB

2x Shattering Spree
1x Shatterstorm
3x Molten Rain
3x Dragon's Claw
2x Ricochet Trap
2x Goblin Rabblemaster
1x Whipflare

last one is gonna go, but i dont know whats better.

8th edition not 1oth

doubting it will get a ban, the deck is fine, but its pretty easy to hate out and disrupt

>no batterskull in the board

have fun losing without it

10th holy shit

I really like ratchet bomb
great at killing those death shadow's that get to big for burn spells and gives you a way to interact with enchantments

Batterskull is in the main
Theres quite some flex picks in skred. Im tempted to switch out the Magma Jet and Pyrite for 2x Roast, then put the Pyrite in the SB instead of Whipflare.

Yeah, i hope i get my 2 Ratchet Bombs before friday

>chinamen
You can do better than that user.

I like the 2cmc sweeper

Haven't played Skred much, but some good cards to consider:
-Grafdiggers, 1sided, abzan coco is op
-Pithing Needle, having one in the sideboard as monored control can answer a lot of stuff

Been liking dgrids in place of traps, what are your thoughts?

I like it sometimes, but i think i prefer Traps flexibility. I once won a game cus i redirected a Runeflare trap, it was some janky howling mines/fevered visions deck, but i do remember that fondly.

Would a card like this help to make storm fairer?