Homebrew Race General

Alright laddies and lassies, here you can post ideas you have for any races that are not considered official. If possible, provide an image that somewhat represents the race you had in mind.

No pic for this, sadly.

Knals are the elves of the north, bearing striking similarities to humans. They are built well in contrast to the often slim elves, and can grow facial hair. Their ears are 10-15 inches long, and point to the sides instead of upwards. Their hair is golden, and is considered valuable. However, since the Knals never lose hair, their gold manes are voluminous, giving them a rather threatening appearance. Very rarely does a Knal cut their hair, mainly because scissors barely do anything. They die without a single haircut, as it is tradition. Their hair can be used to make strong bows that can pierce steel or lutes that play beautiful melodies, but such recycling is blasphemous to the Knals. After a Knal dies, they get buried with strands of hair, one for each winter they witnessed. Since Elves in general live for even thousands of years, they tend to be buried with a good fistful of long gold strands. The rest of the hair is preserved by either the shaman or the family of the deceased Knal, and should never be sold. So it is clear that Knals greatly value their hairs, but they love decorating their ridiculously long ears that point to the side. Tattooing them, cutting them into patterns, shielding the top part with steel, rings, they view their ears quite desireable as well. Knals are vikings, so it is to be expected that they raid villages, sink ships and rob nobles. While they do seem primitive and tribal, they are organised and all bow under their leader.

So my guess is that the Knals grow hair much slower than other Elves? If their hair grew as fast as that of a normal elf, human or orc, wouldn't it be far too long by the time they reach adulthood?

Also, this really reminds me of whatever species the people in Jak and Daxter were.

Yes, they grow hair much slower. It grows semi-fast when they're still kids, but after puberty it starts slowing down.

Holy shit it does. I wonder if there is any art from Jak that could fit a Knal?

This may be a bit too noble looking for your taste

This may be a bit too young

I'd say both of them work quite well, seeing as they are only for reference

This may lack ear decoration

This lacks color

I like this one! While the hair is a bit too white, the character does seem like a young Knal

The hair looks like it's been cut, but otherwise I'd say that it fits quite well

Alright, I'll be using this image as reference. Thank you!

I may have others but if you're happy with those I'll stop there

So what do they *do* with the hair they harvest. You say that recycling it is blasphemous, but they can't just sit on it.

I mean, I guess they could but that seems a bit awkward.

My original idea was for them to just keep the hairs in some container, just how we keep the ashes of our loved ones in vases. But I guess it feels odd. Any suggestions?

My first inclination is to have them woven into a tapestry, or maybe a banner a la The Banner Saga, that details the life of the person either through written language or art; coming of age, notable exploits, names of their children, etc.. The hairs would probably be the 'ink' in the tapestry, woven into a darker material for contrast.

It's hard for me to say exactly what the Knals would do with these tapestries since I don't know anything about their culture, really. They could weave them into a single continuous piece detailing the history of the family and its members, or maybe use them to cover their walls as reminders of the fallen. Knal holds or halls might have them hung in rows from the ceiling like decorative flags just because there's no more room for them on the walls, or to symbolize that the fallen are looking over them.

You'd know better than me, but I figure I'd throw it out there.

You know, I think that would work. Thanks!

How do you describe races that are patently not human but not really animal people?

I have an idea for a small race of people with large floppy ears, but mostly human faces, sharper teeth and some other types of marking like spots and such. How would I describe them? The closest I can think of is the 'domesticated goblins' from those threads a long time ago or yordles from league of legends.

Just don't describe them with animalistic traits. If you don't draw the direct parallel most other people won't either.

And I just realized I bungled your initial question.

Start with height then describe their build. Are they lithe or squat, do they hunch over, do they have long arms or oddly oriented joints? Skin and color next, note texture and extra markings. Face next, general shape and markings like horns or spots, then move to the specifics of individual features like eyes, ears, mouth, etc.

If you're trying to describe something in a narrative environment, focus on what the viewer would find striking first and then move down the list in order. Like if your brightly colored fae is covered up in a parka you don't mention their oddly shaped feet or abnormally long neck because the people your talking to can't actually see it. Instead you tell them about the fae's electric blue mane and bright orange face and the tribal markings on his cheeks.

If you want something more general, 'domesticated goblins' already paints a pretty vivid picture, though you'd want to add on additional qualifiers to that since goblins are so varied across IP.

Tiefs are a horned folk from a frozen, timeless land. To judge them by their society is to insult them; they've accomplished nothing but secure their own accomplishment of not doing anything. Every attempt to move forward falls apart, every attempt at imperialists attempting to bring civilization shot down, and every crusade for genocide fails spectacularly. It's more fair, and more accurate, to judge them by the average individual; they may yearn for something new, but the Tiefs hate change, for the abandonment of past security and the uncertainty of future prospects petrifies them. They could spend their entire lives living in one moment. Many do.

Tiefs are typically aloof, empty-headed. Few tiefs manage to think without an inner narration of everything they do, as if they were a drunk man stumbling home. They are not unwise or unintelligent, but so blearingly inperceptive they have trouble focusing on even their thoughts. Those that are able to focus their mind find they focus too well; a keen Tief is prone to overthinking, panicking at the myriad of possibilities of every possible occurrence (and each occurrence from those, and so on), and succumbing to a stress-relieving habit unless they love the thought of suicide. Despite their almost universally unsettled minds, they'd fit in human society without much issue if it weren't for their physical features. In stature, they vary, but are generally larger than humans, with strong necks and backs to support often heavy horns. Tiefs are often attributed to animals by way of their horns and their warped mental faculties, and while many reject the label, others mantle it, accepting they aren't cut out for "human" life and keep to their lives of stagnant security.

I'm mildly surprised they haven't been at least partially subjugated as drudges by their neighbors. They seem like they would be a good fit for the work.

They aren't exactly a race, but I'm working on a cadre of Undead Cowboys of God and need help coming up with some thematic abilities for them.

Part of their deal is that they act as shepherds for the recently departed and mediators, judges, and impromptu lawmen for those among the faithful. So far they're preternaturally durable except when exposed to very specific materials, don't rest or eat (though they can if they want, it just doesn't do anything), and can tell if a person is lying by looking into their eyes. Besides that they're about fifty percent stronger than normal humans and are all a Damn Good Shot, but I want a bit more to distinguish them.

Is there room for anything? I'm worried that they'll become too gimmicky if I tack on too much, but I want them to be a bit more than just strong and good shots.