Chaika General

So which system would be best for a Chaika game:

Strike!
4e

or do you make "the Chaika" the focus of a MAID mod?

I'm thinking the best way to set things up is that the Gundo using caster of the group basically acts as a "wave motion cannon" - basically they've got a long charge time attack that wins a battle through sheer destructive force, as well as shorter more "instant" utility and support effects they can do (like The Silence!) - battles thus have an inbuilt upper length and boil down to defense of your gundo caster vs. interruptions and attacks on your gundo casters.

I saw someone complaining about general covering the front page, so Chaika! General! on the front page!

Is there enough depth to a setting like Chaika to even run a game in?

IIRC there's not a lot of depth to the magic. There's enough to serve in a mediocre anime, but I can't remember her spells doing much more than blowing stuff up.

Ripped from the wikia

>The Ripper - Magic slashes.
>The Burner - Explosive fire.
>The Sucker - Sucks sound.
>The Locator - Locates objects with magic sonar.
>The Breaker - Breaks through magic shields.
>The Blinder - Creates a blinding light.
>The Boiler - Boils target.
>The Intruder - Poisons the air or target.
>The Commander - Interference Magic. Nullifies all magic applied on target.
>The Silencer - Nullifies the sound caused on target (like a mute-effect).
>The Floater - Allows user and target to float in the water and in the air. [3]
>The Slugger - Strikes and crushes the target.[3]
>The Overwarming
>The Heavy Wind
>The Buster
>The Annihilator - Large Beam.
>The Meraviglios - Larger large beam.
And it's not like Chaika is the only character in this anime.

Stop it, we are doing Chaika things now!

what is a Chaika?

Magic is literally powered by fossils, dead body parts and in an emergency the caster's own memories.

The world is filled with bandits who were superfluous to the great war against an evil overlord, the victorious and free kingdoms are now perilously close to falling into war with each other.

Also: there are cat people.

A female human wizard that uses a gundo to cast spells.

Sounds eh.

Wasn't she also a construct? Or was she just brainwashed?

A brainwashed orphan. How it comes that all the Chaikas look alike is unknown to me.

Chaika was the Evil Overlord Wizard's Daughter, who was beheaded by The Great Heros as they fought their way to their successful confrontation with the Evil Overlord before the series begins.

Now, many years after the climactic battle, women claiming to be "Chaika", complete with mysterious neck scars and looking exactly like the original, have been appearing throughout the kingdom.

The series follows one particular Chaika, who in the Light Novels also is distinguished by having a PORTABLE gundo (which is notable because Gundos, which wizards use to cast magic through, are usually the size of buildings) who joins up with some odd jobbing mercenaries who were basically trained in a naruto ninja village to fight in the war against the evil overlord, and have been unemployed since.

This chaika, like all other chaikas has a mission: Collect all the magical body parts of the evil overlord together again, as the members of the adventurer party who defeated the overlord basically cut him into peices and kept a peice each when they went their seperate ways.

It's a curse the evil overlord guy dropped on the world as he died - basically any girl experiencing extreme grief turns into chaika.

The implication was that he purposefully made them all, but I wasn't sure if he just brainwashed them and gave them white hair or did more than that.

And there are physical differences between each Chaika, it's just that the faces are all the same.

huh that sounds cool

The setting has some cool stuff, but the anime is in no way worth watching.

The show is OK if you can get past Chaika 1's weird way of talking in the third person.

Art wasn't much to write home about but I didn't hate it. Chaika herself is at least amusing.

>Chaika herself is at least amusing.
I found most of the prominent Chaika somewhat interesting, but main Chaika was by far the least interesting character in the series. The only thing she had going for her was being a musket wizard.

I disagree, it's a comfy adventure show with sympathic characters in an intersting fantasy world, it should right up Veeky Forums's alley.

I don't disagree with that, I just enjoyed her antics.

I felt like pic related was under utilized.

Because she's too powerful to be a PC.

She is probably one of the clearest examples in fiction why it is a bad idea to have a level 16 GMPC in a level 4 party, especially when the GM is also a shit writer. She was only cool in her first episode.

I agree completely.

It's such an ass-pull every time she "decides not to get involved" or "doesn't help" after it took the time to establish her as monstrously strong and have her tag along.

the Anime is worth watching for how you can clearly see a 4e class structure in fights - there's clear tanks and strikers and ranged AOE wizards.

And Frederika basically operates like a 4e boss: Oh, she's bloodied *miniature version pops out of her chest*

While I agree that whether Freddie got involved was largely a result of plot-contrivance, I think (at least in the novels) that she was generally well-presented as an example of the alienness of higher-intelligence animals. For the most part she didn't really care about their quest or moral questions about fighting bad guys. She just had this weird fascination with Tohru and kept struggling to understand him (and humans in general) better, so her randomness does make a kind of sense.

Can't comment on how she was in the LN, but in the anime she was for the most part a completely redundant character.

So considering we actually want to do something about this instead of just talking about the anime or light novel. Should a Chaika somewhat be integral to the role- or even roll-playing? Of course you could just transport the entire setting into DnD 5e or something like this, but the Chaikas and their teams are important for the concept of this story and I don't know how you could implement them. At the end of the day they are just regular adventurers, it's only their mission that sets them apart.

I couldnt understand why the MC didnt make a contract with her and become a FUCKING AWESOME DRAGON KNIGHT right off the bat.

She was basically begging him to do it, but he kept refusing for some goddamn reason. Then he does it at the end, and its SWEET.

Do it in MAID. All the players are Chaika and the GM is their shared love interest.

>all those people saying freddie is OP
>when she's the biggest jobber of the show

>What is shit writing

>чaйкa
хyяйкa

т. кoшoвий oтaмaн Cipкo

Nah, Freddie constantly getting disabled before she could steamroll everything was so forced it was hilarious. Plus it gave us the "loli chestburster" scene.

I disagree, season 2 is pretty mediocre but the first season is pretty good

I'm being pedantic but redundant doesn't mean that she was unnecessary or not useful, but that she was specifically excessive because another character fulfilled her function. That's not really true

Go home, Ohio-chan. This board is no place for you