Book suggestions

I need suggestions.

I want to read some fantasy books, but I'm having trouble finding good ones (seriously, second largest category of books on amazon after self-help)

I'm interested in fantasy, settings with magic are just fine. Ideally I'd like to read about Knights or Pallies (yes I'm weird) but I can read some other stuff too. DnD setting books are ok.

Any really good suggestions? I enjoyed the Wheel of Time. I am reading Mistborn (like it a fair bit as well). Started reading the Malazan books, but found the writing a bit off, never really letting us get inside the heads of characters. And I am reading that book about the Assassin which is ok, (Night Angel trilogy or something) but not great. I really liked the Pathfinder book about the atheist who worked for Pharasma. More in that vein wouldbe good.

Anyway, throw your suggestions at me, I want to buy a bunch of new reading material!

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/list/show/109337._tg_approved_reading_list
1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_literature
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Conan short stories, Silmarillion.

You read the Hobbit yet?

I also have something I've written myself, fantasy with magic and a paladin, but since it isn't published (yet) it probably doesn't count.

Kingkiller Chronicle

>Kingkiller Chronicle

Thanks for ruining the thread.

Yes, I have read Tolkien and enjoyed it. Never read the silmarillion though, although it might be a bit too dense,

It's good. It's not as hard to get into as you might've heard, though it's more a historical chronicle than any manner of exciting prose.

Still good.

The Name of the Wind is worth a short. Some people REALLY hate it, but I suspect thats because not too long ago it was really popular, and this is Veeky Forums. A lot of people dont remember this, but before the show exploded in popularity Game of Thrones got much the same treatment here.
I, at least, think its got a cool magic system and while it has a generic story the writing is so technically well done I dont care. Its worth giving a shot, just in case you are one of the people who really likes it rather than really hates it.

Recently finished The Lies of Locke Lamorra. If you like the first Mistborn, youll probably like this too.

Anti-reccomendation: dont read the First Law trilogy. Its got good characters, but the plot is too sparse and stretched waaaay too thin, and he cant write an ending to save his life.

Just out of curiosity, what is the hate for this due to?

It's not technically shitty enough to warrant hate. It's just generic and boring.

Thanks for the Locke Lamorra recommendation, I will look it up.

Off topic, that artist really knows how to convey expression really well.

She's tired, angry, and totally DTF.

>Kvothe is a giant Mary Sue who literally every female in the series wants to bang, like even his own mom was wanted his dick when he popped out her womb. He also literally never makes any mistakes and all and is good at everything and everyone in the series thinks he's like the greatest person to ever exist!!!!111!!!1 -Veeky Forums

That about sums it up.

Its the sort of story you have heard before: awesome guy and his quest for power, fame, and revenge. Its also told from the perspective of the guy later in life, so its hard to say how much of it is true and how much of it is him embellishing his own cleverness.

That said, him in the present is a sad, lonely man hiding under an assumed name and who is apparently directly responsible for a huge war that is still eating people like a meatgrinder. So at some point, he fucks up and fucks up BAD.

Id call it the best told version of a story you already know. But others clearly disagree.

>Id call it the best told version of a story you already know. But others clearly disagree.

Well I have money, so I'm adding it to the cart. I'll probably get crucified for this, but I really liked how Patrick RPGd on Critical role, I could really hear the author in him when he explained his characters thinking and actions. If his book has half the prose that his RPing did, I think I will enjoy it.

goodreads.com/list/show/109337._tg_approved_reading_list

you're welcome

I've recently been enjoying the Demons of Astlan series - while 'Knights and Pallies' don't play too much of a role in the first volume, they feature prominently in the second and third.

fair warning though - the PoV tends to jump around, and it's Heavily driven by character reactions and exposition.

Except nothing is ever portrayed in a way that suggests he's exagerating to make himself look better.
And even during his supposed broken exile, every second character/scene only exists to show of how great he is; him all but figuring out the scribe's shorthand after a couple of secons, the elf constantly gushingabout him...

Since OP wont get the references, its important to note thst literally none of that is true. Kvothe is kind of his own worst enemy most of the time, like half of his problems wouldnt be problems if he could just learn to shut the fuck up and not be such a thin skinned hothead.

Kvothe is smarth. But his biggest problem is he knows he is smart, and that pride keeps letting him talk his way into problems he then has to think and luck his way out of.

Tha'ts not what literally means.

Only have read the first book, but the guy does have women falling all over him and most of his troubles come from him preventing discount Draco Malfoy (who hates him because he is superior to him in every way) from groping a girl.

Also discount Snape, who hates him for no real reason.

Also he's the best at magic and music.

The Pathfinder Tales are a mixed bag op, some are well written, some have more value as toilet paper.

But you might enjoy Hell Knight.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_literature

>Seriously suggesting anyone reading Silmarillion
user...

>Conan short stories
My Stygian.

ALso consider some other Howard stuff, maybe the Pict collection.
It's pulp, but it's damn good pulp.

Black Company if you haven't read it already.

First Law Trilogy if you want gritty, though a lot of people don't really care for the ending.

Furies of Calderon. Its fun. At least it was when I was a kid. Malazan is weird and off putting a fair bit, how much u read?

>Malazan is weird and off putting a fair bit, how much u read?

I am about halfway into the first book, and the lack of narrative perspective is really messing with my ability to enjoy the story. Bridgeburners are pretty cool.

Hey OP, remember when you ask for recommendations to limit it to the last few years, otherwise most of the replies you'll get will be the usual classics, niche schlock, or generic popular works everytime.

Honestly, with that series it's best to read it for the worldbuilding.
If you go in for anything else you'll not have a good time.

>Pathfinder book about the atheist who worked for Pharasma

Death's Heretic
The Redemption Engine

Both of those are actually really good for Pathfinder books.

Well I have all the books in the series, so I guess I'll read them at some point. Just did not capture my attention the way I hoped it would. The starting scene was pretty well written, so I mean, the guy can work words. But, yeah, we;ll see.

I am trying to find a book, in the DnD series I think, where one of the heroes is like a science alchemist, who manages to make a chemical laser weapon. I can not, for the life of me, remember the name of the book. It was kind of schlock, full of bad tropes, but I enjoyed it for some reason.

I have no idea how Veeky Forums feels about them and you've probably read them already but have you considered The Chronicles of Narnia?

If you are looking for something more modern, A fun series to read is Dresden files, at least I think so

I suggest The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Cool world, fabulous characters. The main character is so unlikeable for awhile, intentionally.
Just be prepared, you do spend a lot of time trying to figure out the main characters' headspace.

Oh, and I also really liked the Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy.

Anything by Lynch is a crapfest. Save your time and money

The Chronicles of Narnia are literally little-kids books. I went back and read them a few years ago, because the movies gave me the impression that they were tween-tier lightweight fantasy, but they're really not.

Watch the movies if you just want some simple fantasy fun, but don't expect much from the books. It's really, really obvious that they were written for young children.

How's that a bad thing, though? The Hobbit was also written for young children, yet it stands as my favorite book to this day.

Anyone have any experience with "The Sundering" series of novels?

Lies of Locke Lamora started strong, only to fall apart halfway through.

Such a shame. I loved Pratchett's Going Postal, and was looking forward to another tale of foolhardy rogues getting by through wit and cunning, but the book really doesn't deliver.

Well, the Hobbit is a pretty simple adventure story, and most of the action is handled by the characters themselves. There's a light but real sense of risk and danger to the struggles that Bilbo and the company face, and they're struggles that the characters overcome themselves.

In Narnia, on the other hand, the characters hardly ever actually struggle with their problems, and then solve them themselves. They usually just rely on Aslan to solve everything, or else some other handy Deus Ex Machina intervenes and defuses the situation.. All the struggles feel too fluffy, too weightless, too toothless. There's no sense of risk or danger. The characters all get off far too lightly.

Just because a story is written for children doesn't excuse it being written badly. The Hobbit is a well-written story, with a sense for drama. The Chronicles of Narnia is mindless tripe.

Dresden Files is shit.

I'm not even insulting you, I just hate it that much.

I'm trying to remember a series that I wanted to read, but forgot all about it. It's kind of Black Company/First Law-ish, I think.

I think the summary is that there's this brilliant female general and her commanders that took over this country, then they all retired. Now the country is under attack again and all they all get called out of retirement for one last job. Can't find it for the life of me but it sounded cool at the time.

I agree with you on this. I downloaded damn near the whole series based on shining recommendations I've seen on the internet, expecting some hype-ass shit.

I made it about four chapters into the first book before I had to delete every book I had just excitedly downloaded. The protagonist was written in such a way that you could just tell the author was jerking himself off to how clever and funny he was.

I will say this, however; that could very well be my own interpretation of it. As such, I would advise you to download the first book and give it a try. Don't drop money on it, but give it a try. Everyone has different flavors, you may find you like it. Be warned, though.

I've been hooked on the Black Company series, it is great. I intend to make a character based on Croakee at some point.

Hey OP, the Lies of Locke Lamorra are great and fun. I found it refreshing to read a fantasy novel where the main character isnt tied to any prophecy or greater purpose.

>if you've seen the TV show White Collar, its kinda a fantasy version of that

Go for the classics. the Legend of King Arthur, Pros Edda. You could go more contemporary and read Peter Pan or A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (highly recommend this one). It's hard to go wrong with the old ones because the shit ones have all been forgotten.

The Black Company series is pretty good.

The Once and Future King if you're into morality.

The inheritance books are really good