/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Old Corporal John Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/r6568ckawi0madi/Osprey - CAM 275 - Ramillies 1706.pdf
mediafire.com/file/m7lixcvjohrpbxr/Osprey - MAA 097 - Marlborough's Army 1702-11.pdf
mediafire.com/file/1u3u9u2gj6jcnmt/Osprey - MAA 203 - Louis XIV's Army.pdf
mediafire.com/file/9tkc3bk8c6t99l9/Osprey - MAA 267 - The British Army 1660-1704.pdf
wargamevault.com/product/212538/Hind--Seek-SovietAfghan-War
docs.google.com/document/d/1i8uFRqfB0zzFi993U7Piu_ufbXggAq3hmZHrWPVKsd8/edit?usp=sharing
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/186767/shahrazad
baccus6mm.com/Home/
warlordgames.com/spotlight-german-army-grenadier-1944-45-book/
ebay.de/itm/Landser-Books-Stephen-Andrew-German-Army-Grenadier-1944-45-/192027345928?hash=item2cb5b8c408:g:YjQAAOSwImRYKg0L
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

23rd May in military history:

844 – Battle of Clavijo: The Apostle Saint James the Greater is said to have miraculously appeared to a force of outnumbered Asturians and aided them against the forces of the Emir of Cordoba.
1430 – Joan of Arc is captured by the Burgundians while leading an army to raise the Siege of Compiègne.
1568 – Dutch rebels led by Louis of Nassau, defeat Jean de Ligne, Duke of Arenberg, and his loyalist troops in the Battle of Heiligerlee, opening the Eighty Years' War.
1701 – After being convicted of piracy and of murdering William Moore, Captain William Kidd is hanged in London.
1706 – John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, defeats a French army under Marshal François de Neufville, duc de Villeroy in the Battle of Ramillies.
1793 – Battle of Famars during the Flanders Campaign of the War of the First Coalition.
1846 – Mexican–American War: President Mariano Paredes of Mexico unofficially declares war on the United States.
1900 – American Civil War: Sergeant William Harvey Carney is awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism in the Assault on the Battery Wagner in 1863.
1915 – World War I: Italy joins the Allies, fulfilling its part of the Treaty of London.
1934 – Infamous American bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde are ambushed by police and killed in Bienville Parish, Louisiana.
1934 – The Auto-Lite strike culminates in the "Battle of Toledo", a five-day melée between 1,300 troops of the Ohio National Guard and 6,000 picketers.
1939 – The U.S. Navy submarine USS Squalus sinks off the coast of New Hampshire during a test dive, causing the death of 24 sailors and two civilian technicians.
1945 – World War II: Heinrich Himmler commits suicide while in Allied custody.
1945 – World War II: The Flensburg Government is dissolved when its members are captured and arrested by British forces.
1998 – The Good Friday Agreement is accepted in a referendum in Northern Ireland.

It is 311 years since the Battle of Ramillies was fought during the War of the Spanish Succession. For the Grand Alliance – Austria, England, and the Dutch Republic – the battle had followed an indecisive campaign against the Bourbon armies of King Louis XIV of France in 1705. Although the Allies had captured Barcelona that year, they had been forced to abandon their campaign on the Moselle, had stalled in the Spanish Netherlands and suffered defeat in northern Italy. Yet despite his opponents' setbacks Louis XIV was desirous of peace – but he wanted it on reasonable terms. For this end and in order to maintain their momentum, the French and their allies took the offensive in 1706.

The campaign began well for Louis XIV's generals: in Italy Marshal Vendôme had defeated the Austrians at the Battle of Calcinato in April, while in Alsace Marshal Villars had forced the Margrave of Baden back across the Rhine. Encouraged by these early gains Louis XIV urged Marshal Villeroi to go over to the offensive in the Spanish Netherlands and, with victory, gain a 'fair' peace. Accordingly, the French Marshal set off from Leuven at the head of 60,000 men and marched towards Tienen, as if to threaten Zoutleeuw. Also determined to fight a major engagement, the Duke of Marlborough, commander-in-chief of Anglo-Dutch forces, assembled his army – some 62,000 men – near Maastricht, and marched past Zoutleeuw. With both sides seeking battle, they soon encountered each other on the dry ground between the Mehaigne and Petite Gheete rivers, close to the small village of Ramillies.

Villeroi assembled his forces in a concave formation, with the right and left flanks further forward than the centre. Both French flanks used rivers and marshes to their advantage, preventing the Allies from outflanking them.

Just after 1pm, Marlborough began the attack. He advanced his troops strongly toward both the left and right flanks of his enemy, pushing the French back on the left but making less progress on the right, where his forces had to advance across marshy ground. Still, this advance on the right was strong enough for Villeroi to divert troops there from the centre.

Villeroi’s position in the centre appeared strong. His troops were lined up along a ridge. Their concave formation meant that any Allied advance in the centre would be bombarded with fire from multiple directions and risk being surrounded. But this hid two weaknesses which would prove fatal in combination: Firstly, the French were thinly spread to cover their extended position along the ridge and both flanks; and secondly, they could not easily move troops from one flank to the other, as this would involve manoeuvring them around the outside of the army’s curve. As a result, the French line was weak in many places, and could not easily be reinforced if it began to collapse. The Allies, on the other hand, could easily move troops from one flank to the other of their convex formation. Theirs was the strong centre.

From the middle of the afternoon, fierce fighting developing on the Marlborough’s left. French cavalry was committed there and was gaining an advantage. Marlborough was able to divert troops from his opposite flank, and together with Danish troops on the left they defeated the French cavalry. The French flank was pushed back at a right angle to the rest of the army.

Now came Marlborough’s master stroke. Many of his troops on the right were hidden from French view behind a ridge. Leaving their banners in place to create the illusion that they were still there, he marched half these troops across the back of his own army, hidden from enemy view. Thousands of men snuck from the right to the centre, where they faced Ramillies itself, the hinge point of the folded French line.

Marlborough began a devastating bombardment against the defences of Ramillies, followed by an advance by his superior numbers in the centre. Villeroi could not divert troops to defend the position – his right flank had collapsed while his left was still holding off the imagined threat from the banners of the British right. The fighting for Ramillies was fierce; Marlborough committed his men to the risk of a full-on assault. The risk paid off. By 7pm, the Allies were storming Ramillies, and Villeroi himself came close to being captured as his army was swept away.

Villeroi made one last attempt to halt Marlborough, forming a second line behind his original positions. But the French army had been shattered, its morale and formations left in ruins. Allied cavalry swept away this attempt at a last stand, pursuing the French into the night.

By dawn on 24 May, Villeroi had lost a huge portion of his army, leaving the field in Allied hands. He left behind 13,000 casualties and 6,000 men taken captive. The Allies, by contrast, lost just over 1,000 men dead and 2,600 wounded. Marlborough’s army was still intact. Ramillies was a huge strategic as well as a tactical success. With Marlborough now largely unopposed, the Spanish Netherlands lay open to him. Ath, Louvain, Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, Bruges, Ostend and Menin all surrendered to the Allies.

Ramillies represents the end of the pike-and-shot era and the dawn of a whole new style of warfare. The colorful armies, relatively even odds and the presence of Marlborough all make for a promising wargame.

mediafire.com/file/r6568ckawi0madi/Osprey - CAM 275 - Ramillies 1706.pdf
mediafire.com/file/m7lixcvjohrpbxr/Osprey - MAA 097 - Marlborough's Army 1702-11.pdf
mediafire.com/file/1u3u9u2gj6jcnmt/Osprey - MAA 203 - Louis XIV's Army.pdf
mediafire.com/file/9tkc3bk8c6t99l9/Osprey - MAA 267 - The British Army 1660-1704.pdf

Thanks!

What would /hwg/ think is the latest era for 'true' naval wargaming? (that is, before airpower becomes dominant)

ww1

I personally think WW2. Airpower already becomes somewhat dominant there, but this is also the age where aircraft carriers are king (as opposed to the modern day where they're just big targets). If that's not what you're looking for then I'm with the guy above me: WW1.

Pre-WW1 Ironclads.

If you want the absolute latest then yeah WWI, however I think the real 'last hurrah' of big, ship-to-ship combat was probably around the Russo-Japanese War.

Is there a company that sells generic decals one could use on medieval miniatures?
Figures commonly used in heraldry etc?

Little Big Men have some stuff like that, variety of scales too.

While they look really nice, I was hoping to find something a slightly different.
Just the heraldic figures instead of the whole shield. Would make them somewhat more versatile.

>wargames factory numidians
Why did they think those necks were a good idea?

Is the user that made this campaign still around. Give us an update and link to rules you were using.

There's still quite a few surface only actions in WWII, and quite a few in which planes were present but not extremely consequential, particularly when it comes to night actions.

I checked the OP and couldn't find it.

I'm looking for the Dux Britanniarum suppliment book. Its called "The Raiders for Dux Britanniarum" is it in the OP and I've just missed it or does the OP not have it?

ZSU-23-4

The period covered by Rule the Waves is pretty much it for me, the evolution of the Dreadnought and a whole bunch of fun ship designs.

WW2 is more... aeronaval wargaming. Which is certainly a type of naval wargaming, and great, but planes are a total game-changer and you can't easily overlook them.

Oh yeah, since the guy hasn't posted it yet: wargamevault.com/product/212538/Hind--Seek-SovietAfghan-War

Hind & Seek is out. Give him money. He deserves it. He did say something about gifting it to /hwg/ at Christmas, so if you don't want to pay for it then you have over six months to build your 3mm, 6mm or (if you're mad) 28mm soviets, afghans, tanks, and hinds.

>there are no good movies about the war in North Africa

Depends how you want to look at it. There are classics like Ice Cold In Alex and The Hill (1965), and it pops up in The Big Red One and The Young Lions. But no, there are no Saving Private Ryan/Stalingrad-type extravaganzas with big battle scenes. Any such movie would be far too expensive to make considering the minimal box office it would draw.

By the same token there's no good movie about the Italian campaign, beyond passing references in a few movies; and only a couple about the war in the Balkans. I'd love a good Crete 1941 movie but I know that's never happening.

Sahara maybe?
Not excellent when it comes to historical accuracy, but other than that, good movie.

I'm still here. Here's the map with start zones for the countries in our campaign.

And here's the rules, including a new Weather system I made up.

docs.google.com/document/d/1i8uFRqfB0zzFi993U7Piu_ufbXggAq3hmZHrWPVKsd8/edit?usp=sharing

For an update on how things are going: I've gotten everyone onto the Facebook group so we can actually coordinate, we've picked Tuesdays for our game night and hung a big ol printout of this map on the wall. I bought packs of round and flag-shaped pins so we can get the whole generals in the war room feel. We should actually start next week.

Britain and Germany have made an overt alliance against the Soviets, but Germany tells me he's expecting the Brits to betray him at any time. The Brits say they're most worried about the Americans. As Finland, I want to secure all of Scandinavia, but have to divide my forces between German and Soviet threats. Should be fun to see how it plays out.

Ice Cold in Alex is the best Carlsberg ad I've ever seen.

What about the knight kits in the 'multi fit' section?

Also the whole shield ones could still be useful, you could just use a craft knife to cut out the particular device you want. The 1st Corps and Kingmaker transfers they have could be mixed and matched in interesting ways.

Patton is partially in the desert.

The following also fit the bill:
Sahara, The Desert Fox; The Storm of Rommel, Play Dirty, Five Graves to cairo, Raid on Rommel, The Desert Rats, The Bitter Victory, Tobruk, The Battle of El Alamein, Taki for Tobruk, The Way Ahead, Commandos, The Red Beret, A Man Called Sarge, Hotel Sahara, Days of Glory, the Star of Africa, Paratroop Command

Sounds good user. Thanks for the update and good luck. Keep us posted on the progress.

I didn't even see those.
Yeah, not bad.

>Also the whole shield ones could still be useful, you could just use a craft knife to cut out the particular device you want. The 1st Corps and Kingmaker transfers they have could be mixed and matched in interesting ways.
I have a box of Fireforge Foot Sergeants. I was wondering if the medieval transfers might fit on those

The whole shield might not be exactly the right shape/size but like I said you could just cut out the crest bit and stick that on your models.

After looking at the minis in the store again I just realized that they apparently do have the LBM transfers.
They just painted around the edges where the transfer ended apparently.

Thanks for the help.

The book used Rheingold but they chose not to use that for the film.

I don't even drink beer and I'm slightly trigger by how the guy pours the beer. Holy shit.

Upcoming Osprey titles. There's also a book on Trieste 1945 in their General Military series that I like the look of too, always been fascinated by that crisis. Shahrazad is a board game, and a very pretty one at that: boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/186767/shahrazad

>always been fascinated by that crisis

What the fuck for?

The entire Yugo Army would've been BTFO by the Allies if they tried anything - and Tito knew it.

OTOH, the Soviets would've 'helped' them - and then the Allies would've been BTFO - and they knew it.

>What the fuck for?
Because the New Zealand Division was the main Allied unit involved and they're a pet subject of mine.

>tfw charging mobs of Yugopoors machinegunned by a handful of angry dug-in Kiwis

I see your point, tbqh fyi

>Shahrazad is a board game, and a very pretty one at that: boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/186767/shahrazad
Ooh, that is damn pretty. And solitaire (or two player). Shame it's not a full tarot deck though, even though the game only uses some of the cards it would be nice to have that sweet art turned into a full set.

>still no book on the successors

NO GUIS WE NEED MORE BOOKS ABOUT ROME!!1!

Soon we'll have a book about their fucking caligae alone.

>absolutely sunk it
lad

At least the Romans were around for hundreds of years with a whole bunch of different technologies, military tactics & organisations.

I'd rather have more books about Rome than SECRETS OF THE SS VOLUME 73: HOW DID SS TANKERS SIT IN THEIR SEATS, DID THEY LIKE SLUMP OR SIT UP STRAIGHT, AND HOW DID THIS AFFECT THEIR REACTION TIME WHEN A DEADLY BABUSHKA ARMED WITH A BASKET FULL OF BLANKETS WAS SPOTTED

>SECRETS OF THE SS VOLUME 73: HOW DID SS TANKERS SIT IN THEIR SEATS, DID THEY LIKE SLUMP OR SIT UP STRAIGHT, AND HOW DID THIS AFFECT THEIR REACTION TIME WHEN A DEADLY BABUSHKA ARMED WITH A BASKET FULL OF BLANKETS WAS SPOTTED
I chuckled

Being a non-WWII historical gamer is suffering

Christ people, I trust you guys with the ability to comment for a few hours and look what it gets me. I have to remember that Veeky Forums isn't really any different from the rest of Veeky Forums

>Longbowman versus Crossbowman
Aw fuck yeah.

Well, gotta finish basing, but that's two T-55s for the NVA - the Vietnamese kind. One die-cast repainted, one Trumpeter model.

Odds on the book being just some yewaboo furiously masturbaiting over longbows?

>yewaboos

>implying a Welsh longbow isn't made of a million strips of layered yew producing the finest ranged weapons known to mankind
>implying a longbowman couldn't blow a knight in full-plate to bits with a single horizontal twang
Deal with it froggo

GLWRIWS CYMRU YWEN, FOLDED OVER ONE MILIWN TIMES!

It's just going to be more wood on the fire.

they look great

Crosspost from the painting thread - put together one of the Warlord Ruined Farmhouse kits. Turns out the sand outside my house is good for basing material.

I hope you baked it first.

BMP

What would it mean if he didn't?

How do you guys do good looking bases? Mine look like fucking garbage.

I think you'd benefit from putting a layer of sand on first, painting that, then adding the grass.

Less vivid colours.

Also, first I put on some decor sand, various sizes, then paint it with some darker khaki, drybrush with sand color, put on patches of static grass with superglue, then some tufts.

You use too much static grass IMHO.

I have a rather thick layer of GW stirland mud texture on all my guys but the grass just comes out horrid. Everything seems too big in comparison or unnatural. It'd be really easy to create a muddy field but forests and grass are so hard for me. How do you do yours?

It's good practice to cook sand that's been gathered from outside because things live in it, shit in it, die in it, lay eggs in it and so on.
Baking works to sterilise it.

I do sand -> dark brown paint -> brown wash -> bone drybrush -> Stick on small clumps of static grass

It's basically the same as how GW were doing their bases about 10-15 years ago.

Aye, but does it make sense for Finnish soldiers to have sandy bases in the woods?

It doesn't look like sand, it looks like dirt once painted.

>lay eggs in it
>playing a nice game when your new terrain-piece states vibrating
>suddenly a thousand baby spiders burst out of it

If we were talking 40K then it'd be time to send in Ciaphas Cain. But it doesn't even have to be baby 'nids, just fucking mold spores and bad storage to ruin all your stuff.

Funny, I'm a Finnish player too. I do all my Finnish stuff and most of my terrain in snow, pic related. Elmer's Glue and baking soda sealed with matte clear spraypaint. It's cheap and looks good, but even with the sealant it does shed baking soda. Be prepared for that.

>justanotherbughunt.jpg

Aye, but how does one make forest bases?

Basically the same with some leaf scatter and stuff added.

Well time to buy leaf scatter unless I just go the classic route of painting sand green.

They sell flock that looks like grass and moss. Do the dirt thing first, then add grass on top of it. Don't try to put trees on your bases, it only ends badly.

Related question: Does anyone know of a better way to do wheat fields in 28mm than in the pic?

Doormats

...i never would've thought of that but I love it.

it's the standard, they're cheap and can be cut up into whatever shapes are wanted. You can also get the shitty ribbed carpet tiles to represent ploughed fields.

Do you have any recommendations for flock grass/moss?

Nope, I've only done snow and dirt so far.

One tip: When you get to the point of wanting to make trees, make them a defined "area" of cover with a base, then make the trees separate so you can move them around. Makes them so much easier to use.

I've used Aleene's craft glue to do Khador models. I've heard that elmers yellows as it ages, but that might not be the worst thing if you don't mind dirty looking snow. Fig on the right was Elmers, fig on left Aleene's. The Aleene's also makes the snow sit a bit smoother and have a wet look to it.

/hwg/ do you have go-to distributor for rules and minis on smaller-scale historicals? I'd like to take a crack at 6mm during pike and shotte or age of muskets.

Microworldgames has 6mm Landsknecht, but I can't think of any other suitable minis. As for rules, just take your preferred 28mm ruleset and change all inches to cm to easily scale it down.

baccus6mm.com/Home/

and You can easily convert the Black Powder rules. I think there's even an explanation about that in the actual BP rulebook itself.

They really look like they've been driving through the Vietnamese mud

MEL THE TERRAIN TUTOR (ugh) has some videos on them, including tips on doing the edges and making them look better than just random squares of doormat.

Sand is needed as the base as mentioned if a few other comments. I also think you need to consider the fact that you are making the front of the base special in some way and it shouldn't be. After all it is the model you want to focus on. You don't have to put some special terrain feature in the front arch of every base.

Sand is not really needed. Texture paint like he used it can work too. It just shouldn't be covered entirely in grass.

In case someone out there is interested and isn't aware --

Muskets and Tomahawks is not going to be reprinted and North Star is selling out the last of their stock. They're also selling a card-less version of the rules for 10GBP.

Are the cards required to play the game?
Could they be printed?

From what I know, they are required, but North Star says that you can make your own from the book.

Aye, it's supposed to be "summer undergrowth" but it was too big. I'll keeo your suggestions in mind.

Took a look at my scanned copy.

The cards can be made, there's a page telling you what you'll need - but there's nothing to print.

You'll have to make them from scratch going by the book's guidelines.

Still, I couldn't pass it up at 10GBP. God knows I need another system/time period like a hole in the head.

Anyone know where there is a download of this book? warlordgames.com/spotlight-german-army-grenadier-1944-45-book/ Trying to get all my research ducks lined in a row before I start building and painting

did you forget to post a link or is it in the OP?

I think it's in the OP. If it's not, holler and I'll post a link.

Muskets & Tomahawks is in the Horse&Musket/Games folder.

i haven't found anything yet, but it isn't expensive on ebay either.

ebay.de/itm/Landser-Books-Stephen-Andrew-German-Army-Grenadier-1944-45-/192027345928?hash=item2cb5b8c408:g:YjQAAOSwImRYKg0L

Apologies if this is a question that gets asked a lot, but my friend and I have been thinking about getting into wargaming (preferably of a historical setting) and were specifically thinking about something at the squad/tactical level. What games at that scale would be a good starting point for wargaming as a whole?