Fallout Inspiration Thread

I'm going to be running a Fallout themed game set in southern California, 20 years before New Vegas. Dump all your quest ideas and character art, I'll be doing the same.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dictator
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Only idea I got is a quest that involves the scouts for the NCR and Legion. Maybe give the PCs a chance to run into them and either help or hinder them in some way.

A small group of NCR rangers have started scouting out possible settlement locations, and have set up a hideout in an old firewatch tower in a national park? Sounds cool as fuck.

I've actually played in games in that sort of setting. Google some places that are in the area on maps, then take a look around on street level. Now imagine that post-apoc and let it inspire you.

For example, check out Palm Gardens NV. First thing that comes to my mind is some sort of walled community.

Read up on the real world locations in the area you are running, then throw it in the 50's machine and give it an apocalypse paint job

A side quest could be someone got exposed to the same sort of FEV Harold from fallout 1 got exposed to. But instead of growing a tree, nothing happens. He hires the PCs to figure out his mutation.

Come across some traveling merchants, turns out they are cannibals but are kind of friendly and are generally nice people but really really like long pig.

>Do you sell slaves and orphans to them for discounts and access to more rare weapons, equipment and ammo?

>Do you wipe them out and take their stuff?

>Do you join them and learn the ways of the cannibal?

>Do you sell them out letting the surround folks know that they are cannibals in attempt to boost rep with local folks?

>

I did a fallout Tabletop RPG set in florida once.

This might sound dumb, but what about some wasteland superheroes. A group of like, one two humans, a super mutant, a nightkin and a ghoul. You hear rumors about a group of vigilantes wandering through the wastes saving people, but also killing some people that the party considers not-evil.

8/10, would travel with.

>Do you join them and learn the ways of the cannibal?
"See this dude? Eat him. That's it."

>Fallout themed game set in southern California, 20 years before New Vegas
I'm not sure you know what that means, but I'm happy to oblige

Isn't that the timeframe of the war between the BoS and the NCR? Would make a good central point if so.

Nope, that's already the time when BoS is barely holding, and the main stage of war ended a decade ago. So technically the war still continues, but it's pretty much a bunch of protracted sieges at this point.

Veronica is a dyke(literally, she says she's gay) "capeshit girl" insert btw. The only good follower is Lily and the only good faction is Caesar's Legion.

Have any storytime of that? I'm thinking of running a Fallout game in Florida and any ideas would be great.

>the NCR is bad because its based on an old world way of thinking with old world methods
>lets base our faction on an even OLDER way of thinking
What did he mean by this?

NCR is a constitutional republic, and the Legion is an empire. The concept if a constitutional republic and democracy as a whole older than the Roman empire style government.

Plus the NCR is a corrupt burewcratic organization that's shills for mafia organization like the Red Caravan Company and the Van Graffs, who are made up of competing constitutionalist factions and corrupt hyper corporatists. After their president dies the NCR will have a civil war and will inevitably decline. Play the Cass storyline you tard.

The point of the Legion is to eventually become a republic styled after the Roman empire with a central paganistic religion to have a die hard following that can withstand the horrors of the waste with fanaticism to cleanse the wastes of raiders, chems, and mutated creatures. The legion is the only way forward.

>despotic empire having any chance of turning back into a republic

Because that worked so well for the actual Rome.

>babies first politics
jesus christ

Ancient Rome when it was a republic actually elected temporary dictators in times of crisis until peace was restored. Thats where fascism gets it's idealogical roots desu

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dictator

>Babies first historical analysis

By Jupiter...

It's a ultra-militarised personality cult full of child-soldiers. It's basically one of the more twisted east African militias: Post Apocalypse edition.

And Caesar, due to 'muh Hegelian dialectics' thinks that his militia conquering a stable democracy with an advanced infrastructure and civil service, will result in The Perfect Society™ because whenever two societies engage in total, existential war with one another, the result is ALWAYS symbiosis, because Hegel's thought experiment is definately supposed to be applied wholesale to entire societies.

If you think the Legion is the only way forward, you'd presumably like to live in say, the USA, but with the entire executive and legislative branches, plus the armed forces, replaced with a bunch of drugged up former child-soldiers who deal with disagreement in policy by emptying a magazine of 7.62 into the offender's head and selling their female family members into slavery.

Because that's essentially what the Legion, who have been trained since birth to hate not just the NCR's ideals, but it's 'profligate' population as well, would be like if it managed to conquer the NCR.

>After their president dies the NCR will have a civil war and will inevitably decline. Play the Cass storyline you tard.
And the Legion doesn't have a similar issue? They flat out tell you that the Legion will tear itself apart without Caesar. Without Caesar leadership falls to Lanius and both Caesar and Vulpes Inculta think he's a nitwit. A capable and brutal commander, of course, but the brutality of the Legion is intended to be intelligently directed. Showmanship to make their enemies cower and the subjects of the Legion stay in line. Lanius doesn't have the political savvy to rule the Legion except as the warrior chieftain, not a statesman. He certainly wouldn't institute a republic to replace his rule. Just compare the endings with Caesar still alive to rule under Lanius.

With that chucklehead in charge the Legion will fracture under its own growing resentment and unrest, turn inward, and tear itself to pieces, probably within 10 years.

Always Option B.

If they didn't want to be shot and looted, they'd have stayed in the towns.

Except the Legion is held together by a single charismatic despot whose death will inevitably spark a civil war between his underlings. The Legion itself is only succeeding due to it's primary opponents being a small groups of disorganized raiders and it's conflict with the NCR hinges on the NCR's internal squabbles between military commanders creating demoralized and poorly supplied ground forces. Even with it's numerical and strategic superiority it still can't manage to secure a decisive victory against the NCR. Not only that, but the Legion's current form requires constant expansion in order to function.

>burewcratic

This explains the rest of the content of the post actually...

I don't have any stimulating conversation to add to this thread, but I do have art, so I'll dump some of that.

Grill em about what kind of cannibal they are.

If they specifically go out of their way to eat people? That's a problem. If they just happen to recycle raiders they kill after they get attacked? That's fine.

>Drugged up

No drugs

>Child soldiers

Children aren't given drugs, and I guess you've never heard of military boarding school? Just because you are raised to be aoslidwr does not make you messed up, Romans were expected to he able to fight in the early days and were taught how to fight when they kids, jur like all ancient socities did. Topkek, you are only ever shown the military camp of the legion which is made up of soldiers , their society is not only soldiers and slaves , they have peace time as well.

So you saying

Because that's essentially what the Legion, who have been trained since birth to hate not just the NCR's ideals, but it's 'profligate' population as well, would be like if it managed to conquer the NCR.

Is ridiculous. People can still be civilians and the military does not hate it's own. Profilgates = non Legion , degenerate, etc. In the post apocalypse, yeah, you'd be pretty radical.

It's all appreciated. Thank you.

Healing powder is drugs user. Literally every legionary uses it.

Not fallout specific but I have some post apoc stuff

I dunno, if we were to judge everyone according to their typos...

Honestly I take bigger issue with his reference to Cass. She's disillusioned, sure, but there are several ways to resolve her questline. Just like Hanlon's opinion of the conflict regarding his Rangers and his attempts to sabotage the war effort vary depending on what you do. He can be vindicated or proven wrong.

>The Legion is like military boarding school
>The Legion does not hate it's own civilians

>And the legion doesn't have that problem

Not really no, there is some.small tension between Vulpes and Lanius but that's it. Hopefully Lanius is the one who is elected after Caesar's details to be dictator because Big My and the Divide's mutants are going to be a massive challenge to the Mojave...

They have a far better chance than the NCR, who already have tons of carvans defecting from them into the legion because, unlike what you think, the legion treats civies under their Dominion well.

>Veronica is a dyke(literally, she says she's gay)
That's why the heart's crippled, ya dingus

I see Blaster but where is Master?

yo, I've seen that character in art before, but never that picture.

Nope.
I mean addictive drugs like booze,.meth, heroin, etc. Some xander root and stimpacks are not hard drugs.

I think it's well known by this point the Legion in NV were a clusterfuck brought on by having no time to add the depth intended to them, instead making them glorified raiders

>there is some.small tension between Vulpes and Lanius but that's it.
Small tension? Both Vulpes and Caesar both hope Lanius doesn't get the job because they know he's unfit for it. He can lead a military, he cannot lead a government.

oh well I have more of her but they get sillier

If you played through the Van Graff questline you would find the NCR working with them as well to take out their enemies...

>Tried to spell bureaucracy but just gave up because it was hard
>Tried to form a rounded political option but just chose a personality-cult militia because understanding actual governments is hard

This is the last one of her I have and what I meant by silly

beautiful. Thank you.

I think we can all agree that the best ending is Mojave ruled by Level 50 courier.

Like I said before, Lanius will probably be killed in the campaigns to cleanse the wasteland. I don't think you understand just how fucked wasteland is when you have Big My and the Divide creatures on top of who knows what lurking int he desert. You're not going to get rid of the Death Claw and raider problems without major losses either.

Also on the topic of child soldiers, there are none in the game there are just cadets. If the censorship of art and media wasn't so strict there would child raiders you'd have to kill, and child sex slaves as well. Most of the Legion were founded by former tribal who wanted to rebel against this kind of lifestyle with a kind of systematic purge of the wastes.

The NCR isn't a single entity, it has several internal factions. Cass's questline can be completed by turning over the evidence of this corruption. Cass is less pleased with this outcome than justice by the gun, but she still accepts it.

Then who the fuck leads the legion? Vulpes would never get the respect or loyalty of a bunch of violence worshiping tribals. Figurehead driven empires rarely last, especially if they leave no clear heir or an obviously incompetent heir. This happens so often in history it's probably the easiest thing to predict.

Dude, it's Big Mt. Short for Big Mountain. Mt. stands for mountain. Savvy?

Lanius dying won't save the Legion either. They need a competent, charismatic leader. It's a cult of personality and unfortunately those can be fairly hard to come by, harder still to find one that fits the necessary ingredients to become the next Caesar.

So, are there working cars and motorcycles in the Fallout wasteland? I've never been clear about this. Obviously they avoid talking about it in the new games because it's a gameplay issue, but was it a thing in the older games?

The only thing potentially worse than having no designated heir is having too many. Thank goodness Caesar didn't have kids (that we know of) because power sharing rarely works out well among siblings. At best they work out the problems between themselves, through assassins if necessary. If not then you could end up with the empire collapsing into several pieces, and worse several pieces now at war with each other.

Shame Caesar seems to have driven off his more competent potential heirs.

My biggest problem with the Legion in NV is they were NOTHING LIKE THE ROMANS. It's like Caesar learned all his shit from pop history magazines and learning channel documentaries or internet shitposting.

1. The Romans were EXTREMELY religious from the time of their second king, the first ruler following Romulus himself (assuming Romulus was, of course, a real person, and not the gestalt of chieftains he almost certainly was). This had a profound effect on their culture, and absolutely nowhere is this shown as important to the Legion. At the very fucking least they should have worshipped Statism, or the concept of civilization.

2. Very important to the Roman identity was the idea they did not undertake wars of aggression, or unjust wars. In theory this meant they always had the moral high ground and surely the support of the Gods (see point 1), which has been considered very important since way back to Sun Tzu. Of course in practice this meant they looked for any political excuse to pick a fight, or to trick their enemies into picking a fight. Their presence in NV would have made far more sense if the outlying settlements and people there had pledged themselves to the Legion to get some protection, thus making the area Legion territory. At that point Caesar would 'have' to annex and cleanse NV to 'protect' his new citizens.

3. Though Rome enjoyed it's heights under dictators like Caesar (the historic one, not the vidya one), it got there from roots of a strong republic (really more of a jumped up oligarchy) that at least made pretensions to giving the populace a say. Caesar (the vidya) would have been better served by naming himself Romulus and establishing an oligarchical senate lead by him as dictator (as Augustus basically finagled)

overall though, Rome was too big, too complex, and too much a product of it's time to be recreated whole cloth in one mans lifetime. Caesar, being educated, SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS.

I dunno, I kinda fucked it all up. I basically proved all the npc's points: everything I built wasn't going to last past my death, I had essentially united the tribes based on their dislike of the outside, not their common bonds, and I didn't really stabilize them either. The Legion's crippled, but the odds are good even my super robot army won't keep the Mojave independent forever. Best case scenario, the Mojave remains a semi-autonomous region that ultimately answers to the NCR and continues being essentially a buffer state against whatever comes after the Legion.

Yup, you could repair a car in fallout 2. I would assume by the time of New Vegas, in the New California Republic, cars are a common sight (in comparison to the Mojave)

>My biggest problem with the Legion in NV is they were NOTHING LIKE THE ROMANS. It's like Caesar learned all his shit from pop history magazines and learning channel documentaries or internet shitposting.

That's the point. or did I take the bait?

That's why you need the Big MT super technology. Get them to pimp the fuck out of your robots and make you immortal somehow.

Bro turning in that evidence is what would start the civil war. It's heavily implied that that same evidence would start some serious coup/civil war tier shit.

oops, meant to link. Here, have another pic for my idiocy.

I'm making a campaign set up in Nashville, I want there to be some sort of men in black group from the NCR that headed east to gather information and create some possible coups for when the NCR eventually makes their way there. In their minds the NCR is not just an army but an idea and so it would mainly bring about their rule by political means. Does that sound right? I don't want a huge military coming in but I figured that they could drum up some support and eventually head back to the west to offer any major aid.
I was also going to have a supermutant who roamed around and found the ruins of New Canaan and the Utah. cool or stupid? He was essentially going to be a Joshua Grahm character.

It helps, perhaps, to remember that Edward Sallow was trying to duplicate a system from the past but not necessarily duplicate everything. He wanted what worked from his point of view. He's making it up as he goes along, after all. He doesn't have the luxury of seeing this done naturally over generations so he forces it as best he can. Gods are a lot less helpful to him since there are just so many gods among the various tribes. Still he does make allowances for the Roman gods. Lanius' face mask is based on Mars. Lanius supposedly also sacrifices people to Mars, however the Romans hated human sacrifice.

Technically they already have the tech to make you ...sort of immortal. You'd end up replacing Mr. House and ruling from a tube.

Big MT does provide more options, though.

I would say just make sure the cars are not pristine obviously. But obviously a junker that barely holds together. They should be common in a way that one town may have like 3 of them, but still valuable enough to be killed over.

>Vulpes would never get the respect if a bunch of tribals

*Former tribal. They aren't a bunch of illiterate savages even though the NCR and the rumors heard by their civilians think so.

>It's a cult of personality

We aren't given the plans of Caesar for his after conquest of Vegas plans, but he infers that he has one. He never talks much with the courier either, but there is no reason to doubt that beyond what limited scope of the legion we get there is a government. The government of the Legion is based off of the Roman dictatorship.plans of the Republic, so there are already magistrates in place to vote probably.

If you have them get their shit together than they at least might give you a better solution.

Hell, they can get you running without a brain, heart, or spine. That's probably enough for immortality right there.

1. Legion is very religious. Lanius and the legionaires say praise Jupiter before invading Hoover Dam

2. They said this in theory but they did not practice it to the degree you're thinking about. "Pre emptive" self defense is more like it, which the legion does already

3. They already do live under the republic, it's implied that the Legion works as did the old Roman Republic did under dictatorship, meaning it can transfer back to a republic at any time

>It's to much and too big

Not really

SO YOU WANT TO CLEANSE THE WASTELAND?

1. Start as Caesar did. Unite savages and murder fuck everyone in your way. Establish a 'senate', each representative being the chief or sent official of an individual tribe. Meanwhile set about stamping out their individual culture and setting up one of YOUR design. This is why you need a state religion. I think Religious Statism is a good idea - worship the nation itself. Abhor the foreigner, the savage, the mutant. Welcome your fellow men as brothers once they bend the knee

2. Start doing as this delusional user THINKS Caesar did (which he didn't). Establish a militaristic form of hierarchical education. Start hoarding, dissecting, and understanding technology so you can reindustrialize. This will put you in conflict with the Brotherhood of Steel. Wipe them out, they will never trade their cult of state for yours.

3. Let the wastelanders see the benefits of your rule. Annex tribes and locales when offered. Fringe elements who stand in your way can be crushed in 'defensive' wars.

I thought the whole point of Caesar was he was an actual educated man, one of the last. Not a memetard.

To be honest, the only "Man in Black" in nashville should be a wandering Johnny Cash expy, a guitar playing gunslinger whose hero to the people.

I can totally see a state sponsored private endeavor to 'spread the virtues of republicanism' to the wasteland and 'the good word' of the NCR... plus anything they can loot.

PC's can be like Pinkertons, private detectives who really amount to mercenaries. officially their goal is the benign spread of democracy and drumming up support for NCR. Unofficially, both the NCR and investors want resources, tech, and a return on their investment in them.

>They aren't a bunch of illiterate savages even though the NCR and the rumors heard by their civilians think so.

Have talked to some of the people in Caesars personal camp? Antony for example? The guy is a lunatic. Not to mention they're still gathering tribes as savage as the White Legs.

Though, frankly, the more intelligent people are gonna be the bigger issue. There isn't gonna be Augustus 2: Electric Boogaloo. Just Return of the Diadochi, and that's best case.

Tell me of your OC Vaults Veeky Forums.

Literally he kinda did though, the game says he discovered some history texts, notably The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and Caesar's Comentarii.

Basically it's some actual Roman history combined with Gibbon's memes about decadence and Christianity, and what Edward Sallow (Caesar) interpreted based on the state of the wasteland.

Caesar (Sallow) was educated, but he wasn't a historian. Beyond that statement about historical texts we don't know how much Roman history he's read, and we also don't know how much historiography he's done at all. The east interpretation is, he took Caesar's campaign in Gaul and went "I can civilise these people", and read Gibbon's account of Rome, and saw how he'd pull them out of the dirt. He made himself Caesar, he's clearly a bit of a megalomaniac.

>Not really
>one of the largest and longest lasting empires ever in the world
>not really

1 and 2 are fair points, but 4 is silly

As for 3, 'back' to republic implies there was a republic before hand. The Legion was built by Caesar. It has always been Caesars beast.

Historically, Rome made Caesar. But this Caesar is making Rome.

>I thought the whole point of Caesar was he was an actual educated man, one of the last. Not a memetard.

Educated is relative. He was a member of the Followers of the Apocalypse and had access to a decent amount of information, but even that is pretty patchy at best. Gannon comments on it. He got as much from history books as he did holotapes of gladiator movies.

I have absolutely no idea where you are getting the idea of a civil war engulfing the entire NCR just because you turn over the evidence. The reason it is an imperfect solution for Cass is that it will take years, there is no guarantee the evidence will cause any changes, and even if it does it will likely only weaken their power within the NCR and won't necessarily finish them. The NCR government will be able to tighten their grip on trade.

Seriously, why did you even get this in your head? You give the evidence to an NCR Ranger Jackson who isn't likely to want to kickstart a civil war. Honestly this is actually the best way to hurt the companies than just killing a figurehead since they can both die anyway if you are sent to steal the Gun Runner plans. The Gun Runners ambush them and put them both down. Big deal.

>Re industrialized

Oh yeah because that won't lead to another nuclear war and the legion isnt a reference to "By the Waters of Babylon" a short story by Stephen Vincent Benet which actually critizes the a proportion assumption that pursuing technology Big MT style is self destruct and that after an apocalyptic struggle mankind must learn how to control it's progress.

Which is exactly what the Legion wants.

[ ] Not BTFO
[ X ] Absolutely REKT

They were featured pretty heavily in Tactics, present in 2, and 3 tried for all of one day before deciding it was too hard to program with Gamebryo's limitations only to be one-upped years later by modders.

In other words, yes.

There's plenty of educated people on the West Coast, Sallow definitely isn't one of the last. The NCR and the Followers both educate in a manner which seems to sometimes run straight through to university. Sure, it's not as extensively implemented as non-wasteland education, but you could probably readily compare it to 19th century levels.

Sallow was educated by the followers, and stumbled on some Roman history in his own time while high off hating tribals.

Caesar says that the Legion is based off of Roman governance, and Roman governance where one person can have dictator powers and where the government can go back to being. Republic implies their are already magistrates founded by Caesar in Colorado. Meaning the Legion does have a way for naming a successor to Caesar or going back to republic.

Ever talk to Boone? Guy is pretty nuts too

> A proportion

*a priori

Tfw mobilefag