Did 4e have the worst DMing advice?

Did 4e have the worst DMing advice?

No? It has some of the best, assuming you're not using shitty cropped images to give a misleading impression.

If you only have one hour a week to prepare for a game, it's a pretty damn good idea to run an adventure module.

Seems pretty reasonable if you don't have time to plan a session.

>if you don't have enough time to prep a campaign, play a pre-written one

This is bad advice?

No OP is pic related

In that regards. The people defending that shit should go find another hobby if an hour of prep time a week is either too herculean for them to consider or they're too lazy.

>HOW DARE YOU NOT BE AS DEDICATED TO WASTING TIME AS ME REEEEEEEE!!!
I'm sure there are reasons people aren't like you in their... dedication.

It's not like they're DM'ing your campaign . The only people whose enjoyment they're affecting is their own.

4e has the best DMing advice of any game I've run so far. I still refer to it sometimes.

It has the best and most generalizable DMG out of any system I've seen.

see

>has the best and most generalizable DMG out of any system I've seen.

Confirmed for never having played any RPG besides D&D. Kill yourself 4fag.

fpbp

OP is a fag, as usual.

For as big of a piece of shit as 4e is, the DMG is actually pretty fucking good.

Alternatively: These people might not be NEETs with no other hobbies.

4E had the best DMing advice.

If you're not going to invest time or effort into your game, use the investment someone else made.
While there may in fact be some DMs who can ad hoc a fun campaign, all the ones I've played which were so lightly prepared were also internally inconsistent and sloppy.

What would you recommend?

All the best DMs are the ones who just wing it.

>While there may in fact be some DMs who can ad hoc a fun campaign, all the ones I've played which were so lightly prepared were also internally inconsistent and sloppy.
Fucking this!

After the first 3-5 sessions, it becomes obvious as fuck when the GM is just making shit up as they go along with no long term goals in sight.
The best DM's are the ones who sit down to plan shit out yet are also willing to improv whenever the players do something unexpected that isn't disruptive.

The best DMs are the ones that can convince the players that they are winging everything.

Interesting anecdote.
In my experience all the shittiest DMs just wing it.
The slightly less shitty DMs have every detail so pre planned that they should write fiction rather than run games.

Quite the opposite, actually.

A good DM should be able to improvise, but being able to improvise doesn't mean you're just "winging it." All the best DMs both prepare for the next session and have a general plan for the long run, and are able to balance out how much preparation they do with how much room they leave the players to just fuck off and do their own thing. Note that preparing a session doesn't mean planning ever move the players make, that's just going to the opposite extreme which is just as bad.

If you can't or won't do the necessary preparation, the OP's advice is solid. Using a pre-made adventure module doesn't mean you can't improvise, it just means that a lot of the groundwork has already been done for you and you don't need to spend much (if any) fleshing out the setting/quest/lore/NPCs/etc.

There may be people who can rely entirely on improvisation, but for the vast majority not doing any preparation just means they're flaky and unreliable, and usually run adventures that are lacking in substance and consistency. Even if you're great at improv, doing some basic prepwork will improve your DMing in almost every situation.