EDH/Commander General

Mandatory Fun

Previously: →

>Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
What's your most fun deck? What makes it so fun? Does it make you feel like a unique snowflake?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-08-16-mana-mastery/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jarad-lord-of-budget-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nehebs-bullshit
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sen-triples-2/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yasova Dragonclaw, and the fact that it's Crouching Yasova, Hidden Xenagos.

Karador so I can replay Eternal Witness every turn if people are messing with my key enchantments.

As for the Serra's Sanctum thing, I picked one up from my LGS a few weeks ago for $30 because it was closing and they were selling everything. That's actually the main reason I was wanting to build the deck in the first place.

What are some good combos to run with Silas Renn?

I think Karador can work, and don't just view it as a way to recycle enchantments - you can also recur enchantress effects, or a small toolbox of toys. He's a solid choice. And 3-colors are getting easier and easier to fix, so you shouldn't worry too much about that.

Nice deal, btw. Got a promo Treva last week for $15, so I appreciate that bargain hunting (thanks gA for letting me know such a sexy art exists)

My friend plays Rakdos and Kaalia and is really starting to get mad that I never let him cast his commander. Is there some way I can control him and let him play magic without letting him run away with the game?

If you cast the spell and then sac it are you allowed to cast it again? The wording makes me think that you can cast that spell for the rest of the turn so long as it's in your graveyard but that seems broken.

Containment priest, hallowed moonlight, perma flicker each time before combat

Yes, you can focus on card denial and hand destruction.

Cards usually don't maintain a consistent "identity" when they move from one zone to another. When the card goes from the graveyard to the battlefield and then back to the graveyard, even if it's the same physical card it loses properties it had when it moves.

Darn alright thanks

Norin, because I can pretend to be blue and stop anyone from actually playing the game.

The classic.

>Kaalia
He deserves to get shit on. Kaalia is a trap commander because no matter how strong she appears, people will see your plan coming from a mile a way and will fuck it over. The moment someone sets her down on the table, everyone knows the game will consist of getting shit on by her or shitting on her first.

Sac outlets to make stax pieces asymmetric is really good. Saccing a Winter Orb end of your opponents turn and recasting it is nice, so is saccing a Wire to reset it's counters. Artificer's Intuition is pretty insane, finds all the broken fast mana and gets Spellbombs too, which Silas loves. I've found it's less of a combo deck and more grindy value.

>What's your most fun deck?
Fun for me? Probably Slobad. Fun for everyone is actually Dralnu
>What makes it so fun?
Slobad is chock full of absurd combos and Dralnu keeps people from getting out of hand until I can shit out a Doomsday
>Does it make you feel like a unique snowflake?
All the time

It's not really combo, but you get insane value out of running spellbombs. Good ones are Aether, Nihil, maybe Necrogen.

I want to build this bad boy, but I have no idea what the core of the deck should be centered around. Any one have any good suggestions? I kind of want to eschew any type goodstuff.dec or super friends, both of those ideas are drawn out and boring as hell.

>Playing EDH right now.
>Playing Intet
>Marchesa of the Black Rose Player steals my Intet

I feel so Violated. :(

The core of your deck should be casting Cromat and bestowing it with Chromanticore. Run Cascading Cataracts and Chromatic Lantern.

Is there anything similar to Saskia Infect? One guy in my group has the Saskia precon that he's touched up a little bit, but my group gets... prickly about multiple iterations of the same commander.

Newzuri probably.

In that you're dealing damage with stuff to deal damage with stuff, or in that you're grinding out Infect wins? Because I used to have some success with Vorel Infect before you ask, I took it apart and lost the decklist a while ago.

So alliterative C's?

And cro/chro cards. Chromatic Sphere, Chromatic Star, Chrome Mox. Cromat is awful. Embrace it.

Sidar Kondo!

>What's your most fun deck? What makes it so fun?
Zada, Storm Grinder, 'cause she can be the most quick and asspully commander ever and draws like crazy, is dirt cheap to boot. has the ability gas up and burn quick and early. I can easily swap out different cards and combos to try and am currently tuning the average cmc as low as playably possible.

>Does it make you feel like a unique snowflake?
Yes it does. people tell me to run someone "better", also SHITLORDS just ASSUME her gender!.

Is Land tax simply good enough to stuff into any Orzhov deck? Anything to smooth out land draws seems more or less to be an auto include.

It varies from week to week but probably my PSZ deck. It's +1/+1 counter tribal and has neat interactions and doesn't run traditional blue goodstuff. Also probably my most tuned deck.

Just to clarify, this is a symmetric effect and has always been, the original wording just is extremely strange, as it triggers from each creature and then "speaks" directly to the creature's controller where the "your" comes from.
Oracle wording is much clearer though.

What are the best black card draw options that are under $5?
Card is so great in Daretti.

You haven't lived until you've animated and sacced your entire landbase multiple times in a single game to draw your entire deck. That's that good shit.

>What's your most fun deck? What makes it so fun? Does it make you feel like a unique snowflake?
I keep the precon gay dudes sleeved up
honestly most fun Ive had playing edh since I started. Most games I feel like im forced to play a more focused deck but the gay dudes do have some pretty good win cons and for a precon deck you draw a TON of cards which means its not too back breaking when you draw something awful

Here ya go
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-08-16-mana-mastery/
its based off of a duels of the planeswalkers deck by the same name its a blast
the budget version can be bought for under 100 bucks

I used to run it in my Shirei as backup redundancy and it was all good. I once played against Sen Triplets boardwipe tribal with almost all possible good ID creatures and the poor guy got absolutely BTFOd by Lifeline

Phyrexian arena, greed, underworld connections.

I really enjoy playing Noyan Dar, but I've started to get targeted in our group because I'm essentially the only one running boardwipes for some reason. It's quite fun to abuse the nonland clause in most spells

You could try something I have in my Noyan Dar, it'll make you at least worthy of the targeting.

I run no creatures except bombs like the Eldrazi Titans and Avacyn. I also run Mass Polymorph, Polymorph, Synthetic Destiny, all that jazz. Cast the spell, turn a land into a creature, hopefully have 1-2others, and bing bang boom you got several fatties for free in Azorius colors. It's pretty damn fun.

>Rakdos and Kaalia lets him run awau with the game

Jesus christ how fucking casual are you?

Sign in Blood, Night's whisper, read the bones, ambition's cost

I want to build a lifegain deck to end all lifegain decks without running Trostani or Oloro. Who should I build around? I think black should be in there for things that make me pay life like Hatred and Necropotence, but I'm not sure what to build. I'd prefer to not use a taxer like Kambal since people generally don't like losing life like that either.

Og teysa or karlov?

karlov

I was thinking Karlov, but he paints a target on his head too because people know you're going for lifegain, and that Karlov is going to get huge while you do it. I kind of want to be low-key until I have too much life and I'm Aetherfluxing someone to death. OG Teysa is the one with the removal/token creation, right? Is she actually good for lifegain?

I just ordered this deck, is it okay for a budget golgari deck? I wanted to make a second EDH deck that was fun

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jarad-lord-of-budget-1/

ayli

Teysa works because she is such a low key commander that unless your meta is heavy on boardwipes she will almost always stay out or you can do like this guy said

How many different infinite combats can I do in Naya? There is this one (which you could just use Saffi and one of the other two rezzers for Infinite damage, but that's no fun). There is Kiki-jiki and Combat Celebrant. Hellkite Charger + Bear Umbra. Savage Ventmaw + Aggravated Assault. Nature's Will + Aggravated Assault/Hellkite Charger.

What else? Also, who should I use as my Commander? I was considering Samut, mostly so I can Voltron if/when I need too, plus she gives everything Haste. I would get an alter done, of course.

I play 2 different zedruu edh decks. Both really play into table politics.
I do auctions with both but one is all good stuff and one is all bad stuff (although I occasionally mix them) .
before I cast the card i usually give some sort of vague or kind of misleading description and see who's willing to do something for it like attacking another player or removing something.
An example would be goldnight castigstor. I say ooooh I have an angel with 9 toughness and flying who wants it ? sometimes I'll even make an offer. then I give it to the best offer and if they don't hold up their end of the bargain I make them my target for all my bad stuff.

Sun Titan + Angelic Renewal + Goblin Bombardment

I'm thinking of building Azusa Stax 'n Ramp. Is it a decent plan? Play a fuckton of land, get out some sphere of resistance or chalice effects, and ramp into a big finisher (such as tooth and nail or avenger of zendikar)?

Eh, that's infinite damage, which is okay, but I'd rather do Infinite Combat steps.

How do you draw cards?

Harmonize, Ghirapur Orrery, Mind Stone, Sylvan Library, Sandstone Oracle, Yavimaya Elder, probably some others.

Meant Mind's Eye, not Mind Stone

Wait... do discarded creature cards count for this for things like cheating something out?

Or does a creature need to specifically be on the battlefield to be counted as a creature and not as a card?

He's pronably talking about gitrog, who just cares about land going to graveyard.

>Whenever a creature dies, if another creature is on the battlefield, return the first card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.

>Opponent is playing Boros Angels
>Self-Mill both Puppeteer Clique and Vizier of Many faces
>Lazav as Commander has copied Reya, Dawnbringer
>Upkeep Bring back Clique, which yanks Sunblast Angel out of his Graveyard, blowing up his tapped, shrouded Gisela
>Vizier copies Clique and animates some other fuckhuge angel
>Swing with a shitload of Dimir boosted creatures with retarded things like double strike and lifelink

God damn I love Lazav.

Painful Truths if you're three or more colors.

Phyrexian Arena, Bloodgift Demon, Underworld Connections, Greed, Read the Bones, Night's Whisper, Sign in Blood
If you have a sac/reanimator theme you might want also Skullclamp, Disciple of Bolas, Dark Prophecy, Harvester of Souls and Grim Haruspex

Thraximundar zombie tribal or Sidisi zombie tribal?
I have a boner for both dredge and bolas, help

I have a friend who plays Sidisi and it's his best deck. I would pick Sidisi. He usually finishes the game with Lord of Extinction and Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

It's not fair that one man gets to be so good looking.

Turned my Krenko deck into Prossh. Any fun degeneracy I can do that I won't find on EDH rec?

>EDHrec

>not using edhrec for priming then using gatherer and decklists to find hidden tech
>i thought everyone else did this

>he doesn't have encyclopedic knowledge of the game and transcendent deck building skill
Plebs need to leave.

>Prossh
>degeneracy
Don't, he's degenerate enough

then share your wisdom oh grandmaster.

i love degeneracy. they have simple goals and i am a simple man.

>then share your wisdom oh grandmaster.
How about you git gud instead?

Food Chain, Earthcraft, Phyrexian Altar, Ashnod's Altar, Mana Echoes
These are the things that break Prossh, enjoy

>that I won't find on EDH rec
but A for effort.

I guess you can spoonfeed yourself then fag

OK let me rephrase that.

Thank you for posting that list of cards literally everybody already knows about. I sure didn't know about those cards, one of which I own several copies of.

I do appreciate the effort put forward. It's rare to see these days. Thank you.

>What's your most fun deck? What makes it so fun? Does it make you feel like a unique snowflake?
A Queen Marchesa deck I call "Political Correctness". It's a pillowfort deck focused on making deals with other players and enticing them to attack other players to curry my favor. It's loads of fun and every game plays a bit differently. It also has a load of combo-stoppers like Rakdos Charm, Comeuppance, Delirium, tainted Remedy, and a bunch of others.

rate my neheb deck?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nehebs-bullshit

>wits end
patheitc/10

So I took my sorta upgraded Breya precon and turned it into a Sen Triplets deck. Can I get some feedback on this deck?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sen-triples-2/

Is there a good site to browse combos?

Run every charm

To be honest I always found camouflage hilarious in prossh

>What's your most fun deck?
Reaper King. It's Clone Tribal, so it's really only as 'unfair' as whatever's across the board from it, so it scales pretty well to whatever table I'm at (up to a point- it obviously doesn't scale well to competitive decks). It's my go-to deck for playing with new people, because it won't overpower them, I still have a solid chance of winning, and I like to copy new shit I haven't copied before.

Apparently I needed to deck cycle this. Please give feedback guys. It would be greatly appreciated.

Kiki and Combat Celebrant

Kaervek the Merciless, I decked it out with every rakdos colored tax card I got my hands on so of course its special snowflake Because who the fuck runs a 7+CMC commander besides Kozilek?

What is good card draw in red and green? I built a Mina and Denn, Wildborn deck and the one time I played it I ran out of lands to play after a few turns.

Marchesa can't permanently steal commanders with threaten effects, just so you know.

gwafa easily. it almost never wins but the amount of political shit i can do is amazing. makes me feel like the illuminati of my play group

Kool-aid elemental is a thing, as well as Maelstorm, or anything that wants it and has G in identity.
Greater good, shamanic revelation, Rishkar's Expertiese, Natural bond, Garruk's Pack leader, red wheel effects. You're supposed to have fatties so creature based draw shouldn't be an issue.

Most of your draw is gonna be creature-based (cantripping dudes like Elvish Visionary, 'draw per creature' things like Soul of the Harvest). Also, Harmonize, which is literally a green Concentrate.

can i sacrifice phyrexian dreadnought to ghoulcaller gisa in response to the ETB trigger and get 12 zombies for 2 mana?

Sure can. Until Dreadnought's trigger resolves, it's on the field unsacced, so you can sac it to something else for value in the meantime. Then the original trigger resolves and does Sweet Fanny Adams.

Theres a thread on MTGS that lists every infinite combo.

Darretti. It's fun cause others stop having fun. Yes, i feel like a special snowflake cause the only thing i do is use nukes.

yes but then you still have to sac 6 of the 12 zombies
seems ok to me!

can't you just decide to bury the phyrexian even if it's not on the battlefield?

It's an "or" clause so he can choose sac the Dreadnaught he already sacced and have it fizzle.

Hmm that might be the case
id have to ask a judge though

Just use speed of feast and famine with reckless assault to take infinite combat.