Oh hey, Veeky Forums, look what just arrived in the mail

Oh hey, Veeky Forums, look what just arrived in the mail.

Other urls found in this thread:

ssl.fujimi-trpg-online.jp/dstrpg/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scan it, convert to pdf, upload it, and wait 4 months for it to get half-translated then stuck in scanlation limbo for another 3 months, then finally translated just in time for the official U.S. releae which renders the whole thing pointless.

wot

>official U.S. release
>JTTRPG
wut

Nah all you're getting is some shitty teasers shot with my cellphone on my dirty ass floor.

For example, class templates.

I was going for specifically the most frustrating series of events for everyone on Veeky Forums involved... though you're right. A full translation ever seeing release would be far too optimistic.

Oh look, you're right.

Funny little comics about the rules that appear every couple of pages in the beginning.

An extensive skills chapter.

Items!

Locations!

Weapons!

Fashion!

I mean

Armor sets!

And MIMICS!

And that's all for now.

Like I said it literally just arrived in the mail, I haven't even begun reading anything yet and just decided to snap a few pictures to bully Veeky Forums with.

I may be back later with more info.

That looks very... in-depth.
And I'm not sure that's a good thing.

I mean, there ARE official translations, but Cluney doesn't do translations anymore, Kotodama Heavy Industries is tied up in other projects, VBA has gone poof (good riddance) and Lanternworks Unlimited has yet to show a single life sign since that announcement at Essen several years ago.

Not to mention that licensing for this particular RPG would probably be a deluxe headache.

This is going to become the new MYFAROG. Everyone time someone asks what system to play a Dark Souls campaign in, someone will say this, someone else will demand scans, and the thread will collapse into an age of dark, IE: shitposting.

>That looks very... in-depth.
Maybe? In my two minutes of reading it seems the system is built around having a pool of d6s which you allocate towards actions/reactions (kind of like TRoS is a way), so if you allocate all your dice on an attack you won't have anything left to guard with when its the enemy's turn.

This is all I've figured out so far.

I'll be nice and give a link to the official page which has some nice downloads like all the character templates and blank character sheets.
ssl.fujimi-trpg-online.jp/dstrpg/index.html

>and the thread will collapse into an age of dark, IE: shitposting.
ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS LINK THE FIRE!

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, CHOSEN UNDEAD!

As befits Dark Souls (and Japanese RPGs in general), it's pretty much just a combat engine with like a page worth of information on how to arbitrarily roll for other things. Even the art is all just stills from the game.

Can't say I was expecting anything else, really, though even just some original art would have been nice. Outside of combat, there's not really much you can do to "mechanically" capture the feel of the games, and unexpectedly the RPG mostly just makes constant references back to it, rather than attempting to give you tools for recreating something similar.

>they actually use all the stats from the games

The absolute madmen!

JRPGs love having tutorial comics.

The age of dark is the natural course of the world, to resist it is to resist the course of nature and only leads to suffering
This is the second most important thing that we learned with the last DLC. The most is that the entire dark souls series is about the consequences of an old man being afraid of the dark

>that spoiler
It was already hinted in dks and Aldia makes it pretty clear in dks2.

yeah but we didn't know the full extent of things for sure. Now we know that pretty much EVERYTHING is either directly or indirectly gwyn's fault

...no gauntlets?
Also is everything from DKS3? Kind of disappointed.

>bully Veeky Forums
pls no

It's pretty much just a combat engine with like a page worth of information on how to arbitrarily roll for other things.
Damn it Japan

Wtf I keep replying to the wrong post

>It's pretty much just a combat engine with like a page worth of information on how to arbitrarily roll for other things.
So, just like every other RPG in existence the world over?

Why is the whole thing in Japanese, but there are still some English words here and there? What's the deal with that?

It "looks cool," that's all there really is to it.

So Japs really do have a western fetish? Well I guess it's kind of expected from DS fans at least.

I disagree with your overgeneralization of JTTRPGs as a whole, but seeing as this is a licensed RPG, I'm not surprised.

Is the combat engine at least interesting?

>So, just like every other RPG in existence the world over?

Have you tried not playing D&D?

At least OD&D had tables for whores

>I disagree with your overgeneralization of JTTRPGs
It's not an overgeneralization, it's perfectly representative of the vast majority of Japanese made games, particularly up until the last few years. Fuck, when Scrapped Princess RPG came out in 2003 (that's after 15 years of an RPG industry) it's whole schtick was "You can do something other than combat!" By and large mechanics for things other than fighting get glossed over; that isn't to say you can't do them, just that they were usually barely mechanically defined. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with this style of game per se, but you have to be looking at a very narrow corpus of Japanese games (for example, the ones that people take an interest in precisely because they break the mold) to claim that they haven't dominated its history.

And yes, the combat engine seems pretty cool but I haven't had a chance to put it to test yet. You get 5 "stamina dice" that you can choose to use for your actions or else hold in reserve to defend with. Instead of declaring an action and rolling, when your turn in combat comes up you choose a number of dice and roll them, and then get to spend them on various actions depending on the results.

Different weapons have different minimum values worth of dice you need to spend to attack with them, and also to make chained attacks. Special skills (like backstabbing) also have costs that you need to meet with your rolled action dice in order to use them; for example, backstabbing does a fuck ton of damage but you need 3 of the dice to come up the same number in order to use it, so it's rare you'll actually be able to pull it off without leaving yourself open or burning Luck to re-roll. Using items like your estus flask or grenades, or maneuvering to a safe area where you can't be attacked, just cause one or two dice respectively, regardless of what number they come up.

Nothing you have shown so far looks interesting. How expensive was it?

>OD&D
P. sure the Random Harlot Table is AD&D.

Guarding is reactive, so you wait until someone hits and then roll to try to either dodge or block. Shields and weapons have minimum values that you need to spend to use them to guard, much like with attacking. You can also try to dodge, the cost of which is based on your encumbrance level. Dodging negates the attack, guarding with a weapon or shield reduces damage.

Damage is "compare damage value of weapon to defensive value of armor, take 1 box of damage for each multiple of 10 (I think) difference." Starting characters might have like 7-9 HP or so.

Positioning in combat is semi-abstracted; you have the main combat area, where you can be targeted, and depending on the scenario there are a number of safe spots that you can retreat to where you can't attack or be attacked but you can still use items. However they are limited, and once you "use up" a safe area it can't be used again after you get dragged back into combat.

I saw backstab in the pictures, but are there rules that allow you to backstab fish?

>posting sideways
Are you an idiot?

Why does it matter? It's just the cover, it's not like there's much to read on it.

>a literal translation of videogame mechanics into a tabletop RPG
>no original art, just stills from the game
>absolutely pants-on-head retarded typesetting

>released only in Japan
And nothing of value was lost.

This, it seems like a shitty cashgrab. How are the respawn and hollowing mechanics solved?