Painting Thread

Sup, fa/tg/uys and bo/tg/irls.

Been about 3 years since I painted a mini, and I'm halfway done with this guy. Any c&c?

Also, painting general.

Inb4 'THIN YOUR PAINTS'

He's a Nurgle Chaos Lord. Might have overdone the rust. Still need to add a bunch of highlights, shading and weathering to his armour.

a question for paintfags: what are the colors generally used in miniatures industry based on? Oil? Can those colors be used for something else like for example actual painting?

Water based acrylics for the most part

I'm not a canvas painter or anything, but pretty sure you'd be able to use them for it. A bit expensive though, it's like $6AU for a small pot.

>cloak looks good
>let's have a look at the front of the miniHOLY SHIT THERE IS NO GOD

Yeeeeeaaaahhhh, that's why I led with the cloak. I really need to work on the eyes and stuff. What else needs touching up in your opinion?

Well, the mold lines on the red trophy rack helmet are an eyesore, but other than that, washes are called for.

Yeah, really wish I spent a tad more time cleaning the model.

Washes where though? I'm aware the trophy rack helmet needs shading and highlights, but dunno where else.

Thats a real nice cape,
You got a tut or something on how to do it?

I just winged it, but do you mean the dirt on it or just the colour in general?

Catalog, muthafucka.

Cheers, man! My bad.

Why not both?

For the red, I just basecoated it with a darker red before alternating highlights and red washes (using the red I based it with, but watered down) and finally washing it with Reikland Fleshshade.

For the dirt/mud, I just roughly applied the Typhus Corrosion technical paint -- thicker at the bottom than the top -- around the bottom of the cloak. Stippled some more on after it had dried for some more texture, then washed it with Fleshshade.

The Typhus Corrosion technical paint is actually excellent, would definitely recommend picking up a pot or two.

water based acrylics with super strong and tiny pigments. They cost a lot per ounce.

I would not recommend trying to paint with craft store paints ever, but really high end canvas acrylics may work? Can't say I've ever tried it.

Popular brands are Valejo, Army Painter, and Citadel (aka Games Workshop). Each brand has some good colors, and some not so good colors, and while some people will tell you to do this or that, the truth is everyone has their own preference.

trim your mold lines next time, touch up the eyes, do some edge highlights, touch up some of the details like the marine helmet and face horns, and put the model down when you take a photo.

Some of the colors, like the red on the helmet and the green in a few places, look uneven.

Use some washes if you have them. Citadel Nuln Oil does work. Gloss Nuln Oil is even better, but it is glossy af so you need a very powerful matte varnish afterwards. If you don't have a wash, you can make your own by thinning some paint down a lot and cutting it with floor wax to change the consistency. Without the changing the consistency, washes will stain the model quite a lot and not just flow into the recesses.

Yeah water based acrylics. I am a canvas painter, and it's way cheaper to buy student quality art paints. The pot on the left costs around 10-16 dollars Canadian, depending on the color. the gw one on right costs I think $4.50 nowadays and the quality is very similar except that the gw paints are watered down to shit. only reason to buy model paints odd gw metals are really nice metallic paints for minis but otherwise it's robbery

Id gon darker green, a bit brownish yellowish green, for Nurgle. Perhaps pea green. Yours looks more like a Salamander.

Anyone have experience with Army Painter Strong Tone Quickshade?

I did the dipping method with a tester and it just came out swamped in the shit, even after I shook it and went after the excess. Pooled really easily and ballsed up the tester.

Turns out the sand outside my house makes a pretty good basing material. The kit is Warlord's "Ruined Farmhouse"

Looks like shit.

Thanks for the advice, man. How would I go about getting a good photo of the mini while it's down? I've seen people have white backgrounds of some kind but dunno how they do it.