Magic Lore thread: No Story this Week Edition

This week the mtg story is on break but replaced with a shitty podcast no one cares about. The Good News is Next Wednesday we get a commander based story and the on June 7th Hour of Devastation. That being said this is a great time for speculation.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>A Commander Story
That sounds cool, I wonder if it will be Atraxa or maybe that Barbarian girl, I love to learn more about her plain.

>That being said this is a great time for speculation.
I speculate that nothing much will happen.
>Bolas arrives
>Meet Gatewatch, they fight
>Bolas will not be defeated because he's MtG's BBE
>None of the Gatewatch will die because they haven't had enough time to work up to that yet storywise
>Some plot justification for the stalemate will be presented (it was a tactical retreat)
>Maybe kill Lili's demon
>Move on to next set

>is a great time for speculation

Meh, we all know what's gonna happen, same with all the previous sets. WotC can't pull cool plotwists.

Gatewatch is gonna realize they're completely outclassed by bolas, get fucking wrecked, and run.

While I'm inclined to agree, I'm partial to Emrakul's moon resort being a cool twist.

Is Gideon gonna die in Hours? He's the only of the main Jacetice League who is written half decently, even if the writers forget he has magic other than just being invincible.

I'm surprised Alison is the female and Kelly the dude.

Lol as if Hasbro would let the villain win

They're still gonna throw some sort of wrench in his plans, but it'll be clear if they stick around they're gonna die.

>He's the only of the main Jacetice League who is written half decently
That is patently untrue.
>Is Gideon gonna die in Hour?
Yes, but only if they decide he's white again instead of the nigger they've slowly been turning him into.

No. He'll survive, same with the rest.
They are saving his death for Return to Theros, anyways.

I see all of that happening plus Samut will be a walker to get those pandering points so that your own black consultant who you paid doesn't talk shit about your game, even though she already did.

Fuck her and her singleminded focus.
"How dare the trumphant black person surrounded by black people be a slightly ligher shade of brown than the others (because she's in the sun and in the foreground), that's not diverse, it's racist!"
Not 'it would be more diverse if there were a white person and an asian person being in awe of this black lady along with the other black people', 'her skin's not dark enough, REEEEEEEE'

Personally I've never cared about any pc pandering in MtG fluff. To be honest, I've never much cared about any character development unless it's plot related. I'm all about the overall story. The characters are just a window through which to view it.

That being said, I am starting to feel a little uncomfortable about this pc aids that seems to be spreading rapidly through western society. It used to be just a burger thing but it seems to be closing in.

You have no idea how happy I am that Kaya only likely to appear in other Conspiracy sets, if at all.

Explain?

On conspiracy notes, anyone else notice the stupid "judge not" theme designed to appeal to degenerate teen girls?

Having the various people depicted having a variety of skin colors? Sure, whatever, I don't give a fuck. They had people with blue and green skin earlier, and these are fantasy worlds rather than Real Earth Cultures. Whatever. They should stop making a big deal of it, but the actual fact that they're doing so is 'who cares'.
Hiring somebody to tell them they're being RACIST for not having THE CORRECT SHADE OF BROWN is way too much though. Or for having even SOME amount of integrity with the story they're doing I never believed I would've said that to not just shoehorn in someone for Diversity Points.
Which is especially silly when one of the first four isn't even human, and number six is an albino lionman. Or that Gideon's been becoming noticeably Greek. Because DIVERSITY means BLACK PEOPLE and nothing else to this person. So diverse.

This shit is insane, you give these people an inch and they take a mile
I really thought that with the Gatewatch we would see more of her and others like Narset, and Saheeli. But I guess instead they are just recon the orginal 5 into gay, indian, or what ever.

To be fair, given her name, there was a 100% chance that Chandra Nalaar was going to be from some sort of India-based plane once they'd actually decided that those five were the important ones.
The real question is why they made a freckled white redhead and gave her a super indian name.

Ok but what would have made more sense is if her Dad was a walker so it explains why he is one of the two only white guys in the plain.

If they'd shown more of the plane than a single damn city, or even made the place FEEL like it was more than a single city and a bit around it (outside the Origins story), you don't even need that. His family originates from a bit aways from Girapur proper, done

>tfw Nissa will never rape

This, part of why Innistrad works so well is the fact that there are several vibrant regions that are fleshed out, unlike in Kaladesh and Amonkhet.

Also the childish muh dissent theme is getting old. The gatewatch are anything but underdogs so why are we constantly seeing them fight the man?

Even if the execution wasn't 100%, the idea to have Jace as a Lovecraftian protagonist was a genuinely good idea.

Shadows over Innistrad was a ton more Lovecraftian than Eldritch Moon was. You have the weird cults, the mystery, the revelations that drive men mad.

Certainly. I'm just talking in terms of current Innistrad in general. I genuinely believe that it was a logical step for the horror plane, and though it wasn't nearly as strong a showing in terms of the block itself, card-wise, and the story is still mostly bunk, it's still the best overall in a while.

I think it also helps that Jace wasn't joined by the entire team as well. When theres only one or two, sometimes three of them taking point, while the others stay back, you can get better focus.

Id really like to see some official, global maps of planes. I just don't get the scale sometimes. Ravnica is basically the size of all the earth, in city. Right? So why does it feel like just one city block with everyone knowing everyone so actively.

Innistrad' another fucky one too, it doesn't seem any larger than the whole landmass of England. What else is there? Or Tarkir seems larger, such as all of Eurasia, but is that the whole globe, or just one continent of many?

Amonkhet is fucking dope though. I guess Naktamun is about the size of New York City, and the rest of the world is fallout egypt. I would like to see an art book detailing the ancient cities outside the Hekma, or whatever monuments or other interesting stuff got dragon-nuked and forgotten. All swarming with sand demons and zombies.

They've mentioned some planes are much smaller than earth, while others might be larger.

Innistrad did mention in AVR that it is one of several continents on the planet they live on, so I'm curious if we'll see the others at some point.

Does portal make Earth a plane in canon? High esper colors as red and green die out. Humans the sole species like Innistrad.

I wonder what she thinks of Koths story

>also i'm not alison

amonkhet gets a solid "above average", gods were ok (though rhonas is awol) and the mindrape story was good as usual

better than "exactly mediocre" kaladesh/aether revolt

C17 is dragons

It's tribal, but of course one of the tribes is dragon

Post Naya Soldiers.

>Eminence
can't believe wotc is stealing fan mechanics now......

>Madara

Colour me intrigued.

>only the name it's the same

It's Joke

I can't tell anymore on this fucking website.

one of the cutest cards I've seen

Urge to Harmless Offering rising.

I have a rather young cat who looked almost exactly like harmless offering when he was a baby.
His name is Craterhoof.

That's some dusty old lore holy shit.

And here I was surprised at Sidar Kondo.

Legit?

presumably

Here are the other images too, since I've already posted a few.

I hope the other tribals are good.

and the dragonlords

The Nekoru make me think it's legit, given how they are something that's only appeared in some 15 year old books. I don't think a faker would have gone for something so different.

>wow le put cat subtype on all le things xddd so kooky wizards take my money

please make it end

>Wizards acknowledging the existence of Kamigawa
Fake.

the nekoru are from before you started playing the game keep your memes in your pants dumb frogposter

Commander team is different. Those guys are usually pretty cool... except for Luedvic. That was pretty bad.

I FUCKING LOVE LEAKS!

What does that mean

You're a nut, you're crazier than a coconut.

FUCK my heart, she's exactly perfect for me.

No. It's been stated multiple times that Earth is not part of the Multiverse.
There's just POSSIBLY a plane where Romance of the Three Kingdoms played out in its entirety. Or maybe it's just noncanonical as well like Un-sets.

No way, Amonkhet's cool, it just has really awful cards

youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE

Entirely a dragon solely to be put in the five-color deck.
Head looks completely different than the last time it was shown, and there's a lack of floaty kami lights as far as I can tell.

Am I going crazy? What's happening to me

Would you believe me if I said I wish it were mono white?

Eh, fivecolor works for me, though monowhite does as well.
He's just...unimpressive. The Myojin are more impressive than him, and they don't have the downside of requiring five colors to play.

Head's a little different, skinnier I guess, but that's nothing new for Magic.

I don't like him much either. However, I am quite excited for Whatsittooya, that is the coolest damn dragon I have ever seen. I'm going to start thinking up a list asap.

Wasitora is from the same books that featured Tetsuo Umezawa and Bolas.

I do not know this book, is she prominent? I'm just -obsessed- with cats, and have never had a Jund deck. Maybe j can go super hard on the kill spells and board control and have Wasitora and her spawn deal the kills. With doubling, and impact tremors, this could be good.

Love how these threads just devolve into
"I don't want black people in muh childrens card games fan fic"

I place $20 on Mimeoplasm!
> BBE
Did you just not assume Bolas' gender? Ugh.

but is there a character that could defeat the Empire of Madara? And I am not talking about Madara with Tetsuo Umezawa as an Imperial Champion either

Take a quick look at Gideon in key art and on his cards, he's changed ethnicity like five times. It's retarded. His lips have started getting bigger too

Chandra is a male name anyway.

>Kamigawa-based card is unimpressive
That's just part of the F L A V O R

Assassin's Blade, Emperor's Fist, and Champion's Trial, along with Monsters of Magic
She's not a major character, but she's definitely there. Which kind of makes sense, what with her only getting a card just now - the first three of those books are from when they were writing a story for the Legends set, and the fourth is an anthology about various nonhumanoids - and she's one of the few who were without cards at the time who got a short story in Monsters.
No, it's 'damnit Wizards you hired (and are listening to) someone who is racist against nonblacks, and who has explicitly stated that diversity means more black'. Big difference, there.

It will never happen as cannon makes it harder to write and WoTC is babby teir

>O-Kagachi gets a print
>it's 5C AND terrible
welp

I'm seriously worried about the inevitable angel deck now.

>Which is especially silly when one of the first four isn't even human, and number six is an albino lionman.
I think this person is a retard too, but let's play devil's advocate for the sake of it.

Nissa being an elf doesn't change that she's white. Elves being fantasy doesn't inherently remove the real-world context from which we view it. If it did, we'd have a lot more ethnic fantasy settings instead of Magic: Fantasy White People, D&D: White Races and Drow, and Tolkienland, Brown People Ride Elephants and Work for Satan. If the Magic characters were black and a cat man it would alienate the middle class white folk Wizards is marketing to (unless all of middlewhite America is secretly cat otherkin).

But just to be clear, this hack Wizards hired has a shit "argument".

Reminder that if your reaction to the colour of someone's skin is anything other than indifference, you're fucking retarded.

Even to casting Idris Elba in the Dark Tower because Roland being white is actually plot significant?

It's really strange how I've had such a different reaction to that than to the last time they changed a character's race using Idris Elba.

I called Marvel doing it a non issue, but with the Dark Tower's bullshit I also totally understand the vitriol.

>Run to venser on dominaria

Why would they go to a corpse on a plane that corpse isn't even on?

Wait venser died?

well he did completely forget the reason he and the others are on Amonkhet to go play trails so Oketra to impress Oketra... And in a world seemingly created/controlled by Bolas, when he discovered the secret of the trials, he was ready to fight Bontu...
And the last lore story had him bleed for the first time in his apparent life... won't spoil but it is heavily implied he will die...

Yeah, he was dying and gave Karn his spark which unfucked Karn.

>big bad guy in MTG is called "Bolas"

No dude he's called Nicol

How did Xenagos became god?

That's been implied since the Promised End. He's not going to die here, though.
Something wrong with Nicol Bolas? That's been the character's name for 23 years now.

Theros magic worked off of belief, so he got a bunch of party people to believe he was a god (of revels)

>And the last lore story had him bleed for the first time in his apparent life
that wasn't the first time he bled
fuck that's not the first time he's bled since origins
i don't know what crack creative is smoking

Remind me what Karn's been doing for the past six years?

One big rocky montage.
Studying as much shit as possible to bring Venser back to life.
Just kidding, wotc forgot about him because he's not part of the gatewatch. Yet.

Actually we got some very important lore from the podcast. They confirmed the mending took place roughly 60 years ago and didn't destroy the entire multiverse.